Archive for Monday, April 9, 2007

Baby found in garbage bag; sisters arrested

April 9, 2007

— A recently born infant girl was found in a garbage bag on a back porch in a Brooklyn neighborhood, and the apparent mother and her two sisters were arrested, police said.

The baby was pronounced dead at a local hospital of asphyxiation and hypothermia, police said. The infant had been born alive, said Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the city medical examiner's office.

Laura Sergio, 25, who is believed to be the mother, was arrested Saturday and charged her with murder, police said.

Sergio's sister, 27-year-old Andria, was arrested on a charge of improper disposal of a human body. Another sister, Cara, 29, was arrested on a charge of obstructing governmental administration.

Laura Sergio was taken to a hospital with a medical problem around 9 p.m. Friday, and a doctor called authorities to say she might have given birth, according to police.

Officers were directed to a Brooklyn home, where they found the infant unconscious around 3:30 a.m. Saturday.

Authorities said Laura Sergio was still hospitalized Saturday.

Comments

SettingTheRecordStraight 8 years, 2 months ago

In a society that values abortion as highly as ours, its no surprise we see such contempt for early life.

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

Any tragedy can be made my personal axe to grind. What I think is what's most important.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 2 months ago

This is what happens when you make getting an abortion more difficult.

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

I can't believe you guys are making this into an abortion issue. How tacky and gross!

imastinker 8 years, 2 months ago

I think it's tacky and gross that you see this as different than abortion.

Steve Jacob 8 years, 2 months ago

Anyone read the story of the hospital in Japan that has a "hatch" to drop off babies? They did it because they where leaving babies in the park. And abortion is less of a "sin" in Japan.

unite2revolt 8 years, 2 months ago

ACG- How is it not an abortion issue?

Unwanted pregnancy=dead baby. Sounds like an abortion issue to me.

unite2revolt 8 years, 2 months ago

I think we have hospital amnesty drop-off laws here too.

sourpuss 8 years, 2 months ago

I thought it was legal to abandon a baby in Lawrence at a fire station or the hospital? Also, it is possible the death was an accident. If you don't know how to take care of a baby, it is possible you could kill yours by smothering it if you put them down wrong and don't keep your eye on them. Postpartum depression also can cause strange behavior in new mothers. I don't know why people are jumping to the conclusion that this has something to do with abortion...

SettingTheRecordStraight 8 years, 2 months ago

"If only we had federally funded abortion centers that people could visit."

"Visit." As in a visit to Disneyworld or the ice cream shoppe?

"A clean sanitary refuge..."

"Refuge." As in a hospital nursery or a day care center?

imastinker 8 years, 2 months ago

couranna - the people that know me don't seem to think I'm stupid. The IQ tests that I've taken don't seem to lead one to that conclusion either.

Why do you think that just because you don't agree with someone that they are stupid?

hawklet21 8 years, 2 months ago

Posted by sourpuss (anonymous) on April 9, 2007 at 9:14 a.m. (Suggest removal)

"...it is possible the death was an accident." I don't know about anyone else, but I've never put a baby down to sleep in a black trash bag on the back porch.

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

hawklet: Never?! Well get caught up with the times! The black bag outdoor sleeper is the new vogue.

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

Oh yeah, and what's worse than finding 10 babies in one trash bag?

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 2 months ago

Damebudzo is correct.

No one would ever do this sort of thing if abortion was illegal (rolls eyes)...

MyName 8 years, 2 months ago

I think it's tacky and gross that you see this as different than abortion.

This really isn't about abortion, this is about a family of crazy people in NY. I know you probably can't see the difference because you're obsessed with the issue of abortion, but there is absolutely no reason to think that a bunch of crazy people would be any less crazy if they lived in a state where abortion was illegal. In fact, judging from some of the posts on this board, there's a decent chance they could be more crazy.

Kat Christian 8 years, 2 months ago

This is sad. Somehow the parents and schools are not educating these young people to value life. I truly feel that every high school student be required to take a parenting class and life skills class as well. Our kids are growing up not having any respect for life, authority of any kind or even respect for themselves. TV shows & video games aren't helping either. So many parents use TV as an in home babysitter so they won't have to interact with their children. We need to change this NOW and the best way to get them while they are still young and in school. Abortion isn't so much the issue here folks. We need to get a grip on this ASAP or our futures are doomed.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 2 months ago

I can't believe I live in a world where such discussions even take place. "This is what happens when you make getting an abortion more difficult." NO!!! This is what happens when people have no love. There are a hundred ways to "get rid" of a baby that DO NOT involve CONSPIRING with your family to FREEZE the baby to DEATH!!

THERE IS ONLY ONE RESPONSE TO THIS: we live in a sick world when ANYONE would freeze a child to death (let alone YOUR OWN BABY). The horror of the event is only compounded by the fact that others HELPED her do it.

It's amazing to me that some will still argue that mankind doesn't need a redeemer.

Emily Hadley 8 years, 2 months ago

It is perhaps an education issue.

There are safe surrender locations in virtually every neighborhood, but it is difficult to find a socially acceptable way to reach out to and effectively inform the public about this option. Surrendering one's child anonymously is a very brave yet very stigmatized decision for a mother to make.

Many mothers, around the world and throughout time, have faced and will face pregnancy while living in extremely difficult circumstances, and they may make decisions based on fear. In addition to education, women also get pregnant regardless of their intelligence, ability to provide necessities, mental health, and even their consent to having sex. This creates a spectrum of possible problems later. It is very sad.

If you are raising children, you can help by raising your girls to be strong and confident and your boys to be respectful and proud, so that they will be able to avoid such crises and help those around them.

If you are outraged or saddened by this, perhaps you can volunteer in your area to help:

imastinker 8 years, 2 months ago

Agnostick, those three things are readily available now.

drewdun 8 years, 2 months ago

"Ok. Kill on person, you're a murderer, kill a million and you're a hero of the left."

Yeah, I've got a life-size Tiller poster in my bedroom.

Seriously though, is there any topic posted on this website that you won't try to turn into an excuse to spew hatred at liberals or those on the left?

imastinker 8 years, 2 months ago

Agnostick - this is a matter that the state shouldn't be in at all. That's why parents get riled up when people start talking about it.

You are speaking on an issue of morality, which is derived from religion. The state has no business getting involved in religion. Let parents do this, or not do it as they wish. They can then choose the abstinence method, or the be safe method, or whatever they want. This would have the effect of not confusing kids (folks say abstinence, school says it's OK).

Regardless, alternatives to abortion are irrelavent to the current topic of conversation. It was about abortion, and the alternatives to abortion are another topic entirely.

Crispian Paul 8 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, ya'll, but there is a HUGE difference between having a LEGAL medical procedure on a fetus that would NOT be viable out of the womb and leaving a LIVE infant in the cold to die.

And Poshloser, you are very often rude and hateful as well.....see Bachelor thread where you referred to all people in Lawrence in an extremely negative fashion.

Crispian Paul 8 years, 2 months ago

Posted by b3 (anonymous) on April 9, 2007 at 9:32 a.m. (Suggest removal)

there is no difference between this and abortion. these women appearently suffer from the same mental illness that many others in our society suffer from - the desire to slaughter infant humans. sick.

Hello, a fetus is different than an infant. Period!

mom_of_three 8 years, 2 months ago

It's hard to tell from names what religion the mother is from, but is it possible that she is catholic and her religion forbids abortions. But she can't keep the child. So in a panic, instead of dropping the baby off at a hospital or firestation, the women do whatever is needed to get rid of the baby. Maybe the safe baby act isn't in effect in New York. This proves the need for it. It's a sad story, but happens all the time. Don't forget about the three babies abandoned in California with the same mother.

Crispian Paul 8 years, 2 months ago

Posted by Poshloster (anonymous) on April 9, 2007 at 11:22 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Wonder how many infants Tiller has had to put in a plastic bag? Guess we'll find out when the AG is forced by 'the people' to investigate.

Having lived right down the street from George Tiller for most of my young life, I think it's interesting that you all bring him up as if he is some crazy man running around forcing abortions on people. He provides a safe, legal procedure to those that need it. What I also find interesting is that the term "partial birth abortion" means nothing medically. It was a term developed by politicians to inject even emotional appeals into this issue.

Finally, I find it very strange that no one here mentions a few things about the people who performed "Operation Rescue" in Wichita in the 90's....members of this "organization" were responsible for multiple attempts on Tiller's life, a fire bomb at his office and culminating in him being shot eitrher four or five times when I was in high school. That is valuing human life? Not only that, the people tied to the OKC bombing were also members of Operation Rescue.....They sure cared about all those innocent LIVE, VIABLE children that died huh?

Crispian Paul 8 years, 2 months ago

Poshloster, Here ya go. This article not only references the shooting of Dr. Tiller, but the continued harrassment he has recieved, which had, in part, been responsible for even John Ashcroft ordering that Dr. Tiller be guarded by US Marshalls.

Crispian Paul 8 years, 2 months ago

OK, he was shot twice, once in each arm. However, I do recall there being more than one shooting attempt.

Crispian Paul 8 years, 2 months ago

Posted by b3 (anonymous) on April 9, 2007 at 3:19 p.m. (Suggest removal)

fetus, infant, no difference. if you believe there is you are a sick twisted animal.

Technically there is a BIG difference in terms of viablity and sustainability. And if you think that is wrong, take it up with scientists. And, BTW, woof.

Crispian Paul 8 years, 2 months ago

Posted by Poshloster (anonymous) on April 9, 2007 at 4:04 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Crispian, Many of the Nazi party officials, Commandants, guards, doctors and such were gentle family men involved in their communities. They should have been given a pass under your system of values. Of course, they were following the laws of their state as is Tiller.

OK, there are so many things wrong with this I don't know where to begin.

First, isn't it usually Neo-cons on this website that complain about liberals using "nazi" or "Hitler" comparisons?

Second, the people killed in the Holocaust were sustainable, already born, human beings.

Third, this was not law, but rather policy. There is a difference. (E.g. the Bush administration has a policy of hiring like-minded individuals for advising positions, but this is not the law.)

Brush up on you science and history folks and then try and tell me what makes "fetus" and infant the same. Secondly, why don't you address that even though Tiller is a "criminal" in your mind, is it OK for him to be shot while going to work.

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

"A society can be judged by how it treats it's weakest members. I wonder how we will be judged."

There are many, many ways in which one can judge a society. Undoubtedly some methods would provide for differing scores.

By the way: Finding one baby in 10 trash bags.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 2 months ago

Marion I am beginning to believe you've never had sex with anyone?

Crispian Paul 8 years, 2 months ago

Or if I and anyone who believes like I do are sick, twisted animals, I guess I should say woof, meow.

I suppose the argument that I am "pro-abortion" will probably be mentioned. However, I work in a field devoted exclusively to preserving children and families.

karmaxs3 8 years, 2 months ago

No difference between a fetus and an infant? Um, well, technically and scientifically, yes there is.

A fetus cannot live outside the mother's womb. Therefore, it is like a parasite with the potential for independent life. I know this because I have such a parasite within me at the moment. If I were to give "birth" right now, (with or without the assisstance of a doctor) it could not survive, therefore, it would be a dead fetus, and not an infant.

An infant can survive outside the mother's womb, breathing air through fully developed lungs and deriving nutrients from food sources and not from an intravenous blood infusion via the umbilical cord. I look forward to this day for my infant.

It is no one on this board's right to tell me how to treat my body during pregnancy, just as it is not my right to tell any of you what to do with your bodies. Personally, I have chosen to nourish this fetus, give birth to a (hopefully) fully developed infant, and raise it with my husband.

I pray I can love and educate this child to respect the rights and opinions of others.

What I find the most ironic is that so many people who are "pro-life" are the same people who are "pro-war".

Interesting.

It's too bad that a demented 27 year old woman in NYC and her crazy sisters chose to do something like they did when there are so many other options available. But then, I'm sure it would have been better for that child to have lived and been raised in that environment, don't you agree?

Que sera, sera...

Confrontation 8 years, 2 months ago

The same people screaming about abortions are the same people who scream about welfare payments. You can't cut back on abortion without forking over more money in taxes to help pay for the children. On other posts, you'll post that you aren't willing to pay more money to support lazy parents with too many children. You yell about the crime rate of juvenille deliquents, yet there aren't enough families opening their doors to unwanted children. Hypocrites. You want to stand on your moral highhorse (joke) and demand that others follow your beliefs. Yet, you aren't willing to accept what would happen if we listened to your crap.

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 2 months ago

This thread just illustrates the moral bankruptcy of the anti-choice right. Everything to them is about abortion. A horrible act of criminal misbehavior suddenly becomes about abortion.

Hey, I heard Julian Wright is entering the NBA draft. He is throwing away his college career just like those who have abortions throw away their fetuses.

Legal abortion has created an atmosphere that made Mr. Wright think it was OK to leave college early. When will this scourge be outlawed?

Linda Endicott 8 years, 2 months ago

Perhaps I should have phrased it as "this is what happens when you make getting birth control and abortion more difficult".

Okay, the girl is 25, and should be old enough to know much better. But a lot of you probably have kids who still don't show a whole lot of common sense even though they're 18 or over. 18 is not some magic number. Just because someone reaches the age of 18 doesn't automatically make them an adult, in my opinion. Most 18-year-olds I know certainly don't behave like adults.

Because chronologically they might be 25, but psychologically, they may be operating like a 15-year-old.

Like all those 25-year-old "men" out there who still think it's funny to get a girl drunk and then have their way with them. Yeah, a really adult thing to do.

Is the girl crazy? Maybe. Who in their right mind would do such a thing to a newborn baby? In the legal sense? Probably not.

I think we're talking about someone operating on the mentality of a teenager. We've all been teenagers. We know that teenagers get scared, and they panic, and then they don't know what to do, so they usually just take the Scarlet O'Hara approach and decide, "I'll think about it tomorrow."

Either way you try to look at it, this baby was not wanted. And it would have been much more humane to either use birth control to keep the pregnancy from happening in the first place, or to have an abortion early to keep the pregnancy from progressing.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 2 months ago

You knew what Crispian meant, mom...stop being insulting.

And you're not MY mom. My mother would have washed your mouth out for insinuating such things.

Crispian Paul 8 years, 2 months ago

Posted by Your_Mom (anonymous) on April 9, 2007 at 6:34 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Posted by Crispian (Crispian Paul) on April 9, 2007 at 5:07 p.m. (Suggest removal)

=================

Formaldehyde is your chemical of choice?

What???

trinity 8 years, 2 months ago

Your_Mom-

are you here to play devil's advocate? i cannot think of another purpose for you-other than being a glaring display of an idiot posting on a message board.

gr 8 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, using an icepick or suck out the brains!

'Procedure'