Archive for Friday, April 6, 2007

Shelter fills with smoke

April 6, 2007


Smoke fills Community Drop-in Center in Downtown Lawrence

A small fire started outside the center shortly after eight Thursday evening. Fire screws say a vent in the basement sucked the smoked inside the building. Enlarge video

A small fire Thursday night outside the Lawrence Community Shelter resulted in plenty of smoke inside the building at 214 W. 10th St.

Fire crews went to the center shortly after 8 p.m. on a call about smoke in the building.

When firefighters arrived, they found smoke in the basement, but later discovered that a small fire outside a basement vent had drawn smoke into the building.

A group of about 40 homeless people had to leave the building.

Don Huggins, president of the Lawrence Community Shelter, said they would be able to return to stay the night after fire crews ventilated the building.

Joe Hoelscher, division chief for Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical, said one person was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

He said he believed there was nothing suspicious about the fire.


hipper_than_hip 8 years, 7 months ago

If the fire chief (or his spokeman) said that it was arson, then the neighborhood would be up in arms to close the shelter, or at least more closely monitor those using the shelter.

The city is committed to house the homeless, and it would be politically incorrect (& a career-limiting move) for a city employee to cast dispersions on those folks.

Just ignore the problem, it will burn itself out.

Ragingbear 8 years, 7 months ago

Keep in mind that the homeless are required to line up at least an hour beforehand in order to get into the shelter for the night. Since they are all rip-roaring drunk, and it was cold, then setting the building on fire just makes common sense to them.

leadrain 8 years, 7 months ago

That's what happens when you've got 6 guys huddled in a bathroom " BOOFIN "

Commenting has been disabled for this item.