Archive for Thursday, April 5, 2007

Man says cards were stolen from apartment

April 5, 2007

A former City Commission candidate says someone stole thousands of dollars worth of "Magic: The Gathering" fantasy role-playing cards from his home during the weekend.

Michael Limburg said he had set cards out in two boxes Sunday night inside his apartment because he was planning to sell them, along with some CDs and DVDs. He estimated that the 2,000 cards were worth anywhere from $2,000 to $10,000.

"I was a little behind on rent," said Limburg, an employee of Amarr Garage Door who was on the ballot in the February primary election for the City Commission but didn't make the cut to the general election.

He said he noticed the cards were missing the following morning and filed a police report. He thinks someone entered his apartment between 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. Sunday while he was grocery shopping, and that he either left the apartment door unlocked or didn't shut it all the way.

"I think they just saw that it was set aside and grabbed it and left," he said.

The CDs and DVDs also disappeared, he told police, along with $300 cash from a drawer.

Police said no suspect has been identified.

Comments

beerdrinkingfool 7 years, 8 months ago

P.S. the only reason he made a report ( I think) was , if they caught the person it would be a felony charge ( for the value of the cards) , so that it would be dropped to a lower charge .

He know's he will never get the cards back ,or the money .

thanksforcoming 7 years, 8 months ago

I don't feel sorry for the guy. SHUT YOUR DOOR AND LOCK IT.

Ragingbear 7 years, 8 months ago

Looks like the thief rolled a 10 or higher on his saving throw.

unite2revolt 7 years, 8 months ago

Did they do a write up on this because the guy was a candidate or because of the stolen Magic cards?

Did he step out in to the hall and yell "Well I am leaving to go to the store. I will only be gone a few hours, sure hope nobody enters my unlocked apartment and takes this handily packed box of valuable stuff I left by the door." ????

My guess is that it was inside job. Somebody just left the door open to throw off the cops. Follow the trail of the cheetos crumbs and discarded mountian dew cans. You'll get your man.

Jace 7 years, 8 months ago

I smell a con job!

"I was a little behind on the rent."

.....And he CLAIMS that these...ahem!...."stolen" cards were worth "thousands of dollars".

Uh-huh.

I bet.

Me thinks that the LPD should take their time with this one! LOL

Moderateguy 7 years, 8 months ago

Then again it would have been pretty funny to see him pull out a 12 sided die during a commission meeting to decide on a development plan.

Moderateguy 7 years, 8 months ago

To be read aloud like the comic bookstore owner on "The Simpsons."

"Wost... Candidate.... Ever!...."

Ragingbear 7 years, 8 months ago

Actually, to be fair, the game of Magic: The Gathering, and other card games that are a rip off of the same concept can be worth a significant amount of money. For example, when the card game of Yu-Gi-Oh was in it's hayday, there was a set of cards that if you had all 5 of them in your hand at one time, then it was an instant win. For those geeks out there, you know I speak of Exodia: The Forbidden one.

1 of these cards would sell in stores at prices STARTING at $750. While most cards are not that valuable, it does not really take that many rare cards to add up to a significant amount of value.

Whoever stole these cards knew what they were. The police would do a better job checking out the gaming store instead of Yellow House on this one.

As for him needing to hock these for rent money... Well, if he can't handle his own finances and job enough to take care of rent then he doesn't need to be trying to run the city.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 8 months ago

seems this was already published.

$10,000...holy doughnut batman!

beerdrinkingfool 7 years, 8 months ago

wow this is so cool . I mean a "news paper blogs " that let you ripp on people ? I guess you know him better than I do and I have known him for over 15 years . I mean you all must know he hurt his back and blew out a dics and was in the hospital and while running was out of work for 1 and 1/2 months. Then goes back to work and find out his hours are cut to 24 - 32 hours a week . while he owes over 1000$ in bills( due to the back thing ). Yes he likes to play games but who doesn't? So tell me all what do you do for fun ( besides ripp on people you dont know) ?

ragingbear thank you for know a little about what is said here.

The rest of you , wow , you sound as if you are all in the same basement in a D&D game and just took a break and ripp on someone to make you all feel better about yourselfs.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 7 years, 8 months ago

This is a scam job!

I sure wish we could have a second chance to put this guy in as City Commissioner. I mean, he is so successful in life that he installs or assembles garage doors, I would sure trust him with the fate of our entire city! Can't make rent but owns thousands of $$$ in "magic" cards??? I've never known a Dungeons and Dragons wanna be that I could trust very much. They'd sell anything for the newest and hottest hexagonal point determinators (dice).

i_have_only_valid_opinions 7 years, 8 months ago

Way to go beerdrinkingfool! You just reinforced why your friend didn't make City Commissioner! If he hangs out with someone with such an intensely superb vocabulary and sense of the english language, we must have past up a potentially hugely successful prospect (do you know what that meant?).

i_have_only_valid_opinions 7 years, 8 months ago

I called out my own bad vocabulary first, so don't want to hear about it.