Archive for Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Wal-Mart issue could be revisited

April 4, 2007

Reader poll
What will the election results mean for the future of Wal-Mart in west Lawrence?

or See the results without voting

New city commission could hinder Wal-Mart's lawsuits

A hearing in the case that's two days away and the trial is set for April 16, but a new city commission could potentially keep Wal-Mart's lawsuits against the city out of court. Enlarge video

Sue Hack

Sue Hack discusses the upcoming lawsuit from Wal-Mart scheduled to appear in court on April 16. Enlarge video

Boog Highberger

City Commissioner Boog Highberger explains his stance on the Wal-Mart lawsuit. Enlarge video

Rob Chestnut

Newly elected city commissioner Rob Chestnut talks about the Wal-Mart land dispute. Enlarge video

Video

City commissioner Mike Dever discusses how he would like to see the dispute end. Enlarge video

Tuesday's election results ensured there will be a changing of the guard at City Hall next week.

What's uncertain is whether there will be a change of heart regarding City Commission opposition to a proposed Wal-Mart at Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive.

Several city leaders made comments on the heels of Tuesday's election results that indicated settlement talks with Wal-Mart are a possibility. Wal-Mart and property owners of the site are suing the city over the city's denial of building permits for the project. The trial is scheduled to begin April 16.

"I don't know where we're headed on that issue, frankly," said City Commissioner Sue Hack. "I know I would rather not head to trial on it."

The question of starting settlement talks is an open one because the new City Commission - which takes office Tuesday evening - will be without two of the three commissioners who voted against a settlement plan in October. Commissioner David Schauner was voted off the City Commission, and Commissioner Mike Rundle did not seek re-election. That leaves only Commissioner Boog Highberger, who won a second term Tuesday by finishing in third place.

Mike Dever and Rob Chestnut will replace Schauner and Rundle. Neither Dever nor Chestnut has said they specifically support the Wal-Mart project, but both have expressed concerns about the amount of money the lawsuit could cost the city.

"If we can avoid spending more money on litigation, and still do what is best for the city, I'm interested in considering it," Dever said of a plan that would avoid a trial.

Chestnut did not go quite as far Wednesday. He said he thought it was unlikely a settlement could be reached before the trial date and was noncommittal on whether he would be open to the possibility. He said he needed to be briefed by city attorneys before he felt comfortable discussing the case.

Mayor Mike Amyx - who along with Hack voted to approve the project brought forward by Wal-Mart in October - said he didn't think it was too late to settle the case.

"I believe we should always be open to settle matters," Amyx said.

The bigger question may be whether Wal-Mart and the developers are willing to enter into settlement talks. Bill Newsome - a member of the property's ownership group - took a hard-ball approach to the idea of a settlement when reached Wednesday.

"We have thought about nothing other than a trial," Newsome said.

When asked whether he had any plans to broach the subject of a settlement with the new City Commission, he said: "My plans are to be in District Court on April 16. Those are as far as my plans go."

Todd Thompson, a Lawrence attorney for Wal-Mart, said he didn't know if his clients had an interest in discussing the project with the new City Commission.

"It is something I'll be asking them," Thompson said.

Attempts to reach Angie Stoner, a spokeswoman for Wal-Mart, were unsuccessful Wednesday.

The plan that city commissioners turned down in October would have allowed for a 99,840-square-foot Wal-Mart store at the northwest corner of Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive. After commissioners rejected that plan, Wal-Mart and the developers filed a lawsuit with Douglas County District Court that would allow for a 132,000-square-foot Wal-Mart store at the corner.

Several neighbors have vehemently opposed the project because they said it would add to traffic problems in the area. Commissioners also had expressed concern that the project would allow more retail development than the city had planned at the intersection.

Comments

drewdun 7 years, 3 months ago

MORE WAL-MARTS!

JUST WHAT THIS CITY NEEDS!

wlpywd 7 years, 3 months ago

I love local business and lawrence, I am very liberal and 'green' - and I HATE the merc more than any store in town. Terrible terrible selection, horrid produce quality, very poor handling and quality of the meats, very unknowledgeable staff -- who sure do pretend they know everything -- its a terrible store. I'm so sad i have to make a weekly trip to OP for Whole Foods as its the closest thing to a decent grocer without driving an additional 35 min from there out to missouri. If you love everything the merc stands for, and love the merc itself, you either love crap or you are a life-long LT townie that doesnt know what 'good' is.

shamans 7 years, 3 months ago

There is not a current traffic problem at 6th and Wakarusa today as stated by some neighborhood.

This is everyone's first response when a new project is submitted. Lets complain about traffic.

The truth is a very small number of the west Lawrence residences don't want a Wal Mart, period. The majority either doesn't care or would like to have more shopping choices near where they live.

Michael Capra 7 years, 3 months ago

hey blackrose ease up it will be ok YOU LOST face it BACK AWAY FROM THE BONG

Michael Capra 7 years, 3 months ago

merrill YOU LOST and you still print lies go call boog and kirk they will listen to your lies they wrote them,

sunflower97 7 years, 3 months ago

Contrary to what Shamans says, Wal-Mart at 6th and Wak would generate a ton more traffic. According to the Institute of Traffic Engineers, a 200,000 sq. ft. discount center on average results in 76,232 car trips per week (with the high end of the range being 92,806). the traffic experts say the store will draw 850 car trips during the busiest evening hour. Other studies say the ITE estimates are conservative! It's just plain stupid to put a huge superstore right next to a school. I hope the new commissioners respect the neighborhood and horizon 2020.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 3 months ago

"Bozo, competition rules, its the jungle baby. Get in the game and quit complaining,"

Who's complaining? I merely noted that that Dever and Chestnut bought their seats fair and square, and Wal-Mart would be first item on the agenda when they start paying out dividends on their campaign contributions.

zimmerman 7 years, 3 months ago

Here's an interesting tidbit of information for those of you who agree that the Journal World's coverage of this issue has been slightly slanted. I just happened upon a 1999 Journal World story reporting on some art center proposals. The article doesn't really have anything to do with Wal-Mart, but it does however, state that the owners of the Journal World are business partners with Doug Compton-- who of course is part of the 6Wak corporation trying to sell the land to Wal-Mart. Here's the section of the article and a link if you want to check it out for yourself.

A previous lease proposal from Riverfront L.L.C. -- whose members also include Dan Simons, director of new ventures for The World Co., which owns the Journal-World; Dolph Simons III, the Journal-World's operations manager; Doug Compton, president of First Management Inc.; and Bill Sutcliffe, a former Journal-World circulation director now employed by the Newspaper Association of America -- apparently did not fit the arts center's needs, she said.

bluerose 7 years, 3 months ago

Marion, you are so boring and rabid.

You don't even live in Lawrence, right? Why do you think you are our spokesperson?

zimmerman 7 years, 3 months ago

One more time, please tell me why you're wasting your time putting down a store that isn't hurting anyone. If the Merc causes you to "HATE" (yes you actually used capital letters), you might ask yourself why you would actually put that kind of emotional energy into hating a store that has done nothing to hurt the enviornment, the local economy, the health of its customers, or oppressed people in other countries. Yes, I too wish the Merc could be as good as Whole Foods, but the fact that it isn't doesn't make me hate it. I usually reserve my hatred and contempt for things a little more severe than having an "unknowledgeable staff". But maybe that's just me.

Michael Capra 7 years, 3 months ago

I want it to go to trail to expose the three amigos for who they think they are.which would be nothing.Bring on the trial this will cost the tax payers millions

brettstoppel 7 years, 3 months ago

No. Please no. I want the character of this city to be preserved as much as possible. I don't want to live in anytown, usa.

bangaranggerg 7 years, 3 months ago

I would enjoy having the convienence of a store seconds from my front door but if they build it... Say goodbye to sitting on my quite back patio and looking at the stars and hello to loud constant traffic taking the short cut through my back yard and no ability to see a single star in the commercially lit sky. I'm not opposed to growth in my area, I want that multiuse business park housing and cultural center with the new civic theatre so much but I don't see that happening until they build the Megalowmart on that corner. Catch 22. There is no right answer. If the town allows the walmart finally, do I get a hardship settlement for the detriment to my quiet neighborhood?

Sigmund 7 years, 3 months ago

Just tell Boog that a Walmart at 6th and Wak will reduce the amount of driving necessary to get to the old Walmart, reducing greenhouse gases and traffic on Iowa. It will help the environment and make Lawrence a more carbon neutral, at least more carbon neutral than Al Gore.

bangaranggerg 7 years, 3 months ago

Their next proposal should include a tall fence for my backyard to block out road noise... just kidding. If the new commisioners really want to impress me they should actually talk to some of us in neighborhoods affected instead of assuming anything.

Ace_Ventura 7 years, 3 months ago

Well I live on the south west side. I am tired of driving to the other side to eat a chipotle. I wish somebody would build one closer so I don't have drive 5min to get me food.

I do not shop at wal-mart.

Paul Soyland 7 years, 3 months ago

I agree another Walmart will be just one step closer to anytown USA. First it doesnt "fit" in that part of town. What will another Walmart do for Lawrence? Help kill downtown...help further low wage jobs. It will make Lawrence more like other towns with multiple Walmarts such as Topeka. People should remember that Lawrence is unique and that certain things make it unique. Being unique means that you dont have the sameness that every other town has. Walmart is generic...you want a generic town then get a bunch of big box stores and a bunch of chain resturants then see how special your town is. It wont be.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 3 months ago

The new Wal-Mart is a done deal-- why do you think that Dever and Chestnut broke by double the old records in campaign contributions? And it'll likely be a 200,000 ft. supercenter.

Good bye Dillons, and maybe even HyVee.

Sigmund 7 years, 3 months ago

I stopped shopping at Dillons years ago and never took to HyVee, but I doubt either one could be considered a "locally owned business." This has always been about protecting El Merc from competition, it is the weak sister. I don't remember anyone crying when IGA (former occupant at 9th and Iowa) went out of business. The "Independent Grocers Associates" was far more locally owned than Dillons or HyVee. Nope, this has always and will always be about protecting Le Merc. They had better get efficient real quick or they are gone.

shamans 7 years, 3 months ago

"Several neighbors have vehemently opposed the project because they said it would add to traffic problems in the area".

There is no traffic problem in this area, but there is a major intersection on a state highway that has just been constructed into a full four-lane road with dual turn lanes. Traffic at 6th and Wakarusa is no better or worse then any intersection or stretch of road in Lawrence. At certain times the of day, certain days of the week more cars travel through that intersection, most of time there is only about a dozen cars at the light waiting.

If it only took one complaint about a project nothing would ever be built, including the neighborhood that is vehemently opposed the project.

zimmerman 7 years, 3 months ago

I really can't believe some of the things I read on these posts sometimes. I mean, it's bad enough to have to read another obviously biased pro-Wal-Mart article in the Journal World, but then I have to read about how people hate the Merc.

Tell me guys, do you hate the Merc more because it offers healthier products than most grocery stores, or is it because it's locally owned, or is it because it pays its employees more than Wal-Mart, or is it because it didn't cost us a bunch of tax money to develop the site it's on. Maybe it's because it doesn't rely on sweat-shop workers, or maybe it's because it doesn't make it's employees work off the clock, or possibly you hate it because it doesn't statistically bring crime to an area or bring property values down, or maybe it's because it doesn't rely on corporate welfare, or discriminate against minorities and women.

No, my guess is that you hate it because Mike Rundle works there and you love Wal-Mart because he doesn't. I mean really, there is a ton of stuff to complain about in this world but come on... the Merc? Are you serious? Does your pettiness really go that far? Maybe you should save your venom for a company that actually does all of the things listed above. If you're interested there should be a new branch on 6th and Wakarusa in the near future.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 3 months ago

Commissioners Hack,Amyx,Dever and Chestnut all knew going into this election that with these four as sitting commissioners the lawsuit will be pulled. For them to play dumb is unbecoming. Each of these commissioners should abstain and recuse themselves from a vote because each has received campaign funding from the plaintiffs by way of Bill Newsome and First Management.

Convenience and new construction do not necessarily equal new economic growth. Revenue loss will take place at the existing Wal-Mart,Dillons,HY-Vee and other retailers in the area. This will likely translate into job losses and at least one major retailer shutting its' doors thus negative revenue growth. The money being spent to protect the city's very legal decisons is less than the city's revenue loss that will result in retail over building and loss of retailers. There is greater turn over in this area now than in downtown. West Lawrence cannot support existing retail as it is. This type of activity does nothing towards reducing taxes in the community. Only when all of retail is thriving can we expect tax relief. The only real winners are the real estate investors.

How does the growth in supply compare to the growth in demand?

Comparing figures for 2000 to 2005

Growth in space (1.8%) is over 4 times the growth in demand (0.4%).

Comparing figures for 1995 to 2005

Growth in space (3.0%) is 3 times the growth in demand (1.0%).

What is the scale of this overbuilding?

If the City had held retail development to a sustainable pace, the same pace as the growth in demand, the stock of space would be much smaller.

Through 2005, the City's retail stock contained 6.43 million square feet.  If the City had paced itself since 1995 to a 1 percent growth rate, the stock would be about 5.61 million square feet, or 820,000 square feet smaller.  This is comparable in scale to the retail space in all of downtown.

What are the implications of this pace of growth of retail space?

The pace of growth of retail space is whole multiples of the pace of growth in demand for that space. This excessive pace of growth is long-term, a decade and more.

à This leads to empty, blighted space in older shopping districts.

à This destroys plans to redevelop downtown.

à This wastes public investment in the parking garage built to support the redevelopment which has stalled because of the inability to attract tenants given the overbuilding.

à The City is confronting proposals to build more space (Wal-Mart, Bauer Farms, Mercato, West Gate, and others. These will on compound the problems. The proposals are comparable in scale to the last decade of overbuilding.

The City needs to protect itself from this overbuilding and regulate the flow of new space into the market.

cowboy 7 years, 3 months ago

All right WM haters , what businesses have gone under due to walmart ?

cowboy 7 years, 3 months ago

What businesses will go under when the new walmart opens

commuter 7 years, 3 months ago

So wouldn't Rundl;e voting agianst Wal-mart also be criminal since he "gets" money from the Merc?

cowboy 7 years, 3 months ago

And which businesses were shut down due to Walmarts presence in lawrence ?

commuter 7 years, 3 months ago

Log-

Wal-Mart has alaways been "anti-union." To Wal-Mart bringing in an union, they will have to raise their prices for the higher wages, less work and more benefits.

Also, does someone HAVE to work at Wal-mart? I must have missed people being sent there as a sentence from a judge.

Merrill and Log- If you don not like a Wal-Mart or any other box store going in at 6th & Wak. Then Contact the owner and ask how much they will sell the land to you and get a bunch of your buddies together and buy the land!! It is easy to complain and take a stand against something but money talks and your BS walks- right out the door Bye Schauner nah nah nah nah hey hey hey good bye.

prioress 7 years, 3 months ago

If downtown dies, it won't be because of Wal-Mart. It will be because the denizens and occupants of downtown killed it themselves.

Downtown won't "die" but it will turn into a bar and entertainment district. That's where the money is, not in overpriced funky housewares and imported tea.

KanedaMGM 7 years, 3 months ago

How dare Walmart want to improve their own business and at the same time bring affordable shopping to those with low income.

News_to_me 7 years, 3 months ago

Commuter, that's not a bad idea for a sentencing guideline. Instead of community service you do your time at a Wal-Mart. Maybe then we would all have a better understanding of their business model.

cowboy 7 years, 3 months ago

While WM is targeted as the bad boy on the block they are no different than most major retailers . China makes all of our sh!t . look in the downtown stores and you'll find tons of chinese stuff from clothes to ceramics and most anything plastic. Most of the stuff in Target is chinese. Pick a textile , any textile , chinese. And they are rotten MF's to do biz with as are most large corps. There no different than at least a 1000 large USA corps. I don't shop there but they still have jumped thru all the PLC hoops and common thought is they will prevail in court .

since none of you can tell us who went out of business because of Walmarts presence , the only ones I can think of are small tire stores close to the location.

commuter 7 years, 3 months ago

I think if Wal-Martw as used as punishment for crimes, I have few other suggestions also.

Merc DLI Planning Commission

To me the ultimate sentence would have to work in the Merc. It is bad enough the last two times I was in there some employee kept looking at my but and I am a guy.!!! I know know how some women feel.

News_to_me 7 years, 3 months ago

Two things cowboy. One, I think K Mart right here in Lawrence may very well have been impacted by Wal Mart.

Two, granted many major retailers and large corporations may be like Wal Mart. The big difference is probably all the lawsuits and resulting settlements against them.

concernedparent 7 years, 3 months ago

Uhm, does anyone really think it's necessary to have 4 dillon's and 2 hy-vee's in one town? Probably not, but no one bitches about that because its not walmart. Or how about banks? Banks on every corner? Crazy.

cowboy 7 years, 3 months ago

K Mart sucked , had struggled for years , couldn't compete and target probably ran them out. All large Corporations get sued. Theres a whole industry of lawyers who do nothing but sue big corps. The smarter corporations quietly pay off these parasites to keep their names out of the papers . Welcome to the real world.

News_to_me 7 years, 3 months ago

Banks and grocery stores are a matter of convenience. But, you are right. The number of banks in this town is crazy. However, are there any lawsuits or settlements against them?

concernedparent 7 years, 3 months ago

Nope, because people like banks. Everybody needs and uses banks. Not everybody uses Walmart so they chose to hate it and complain about a new one being built across town from the old one.

News_to_me 7 years, 3 months ago

So, of all these lawsuits against big corps only Wal Mart gets such big press? Or is it they those lawsuits are the most egregious or have the most merit?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 3 months ago

Sure, most of the big-box chains suck almost as bad as Wal-Mart, and sure even small mom-and-pop shops sell Chinese goods produced by near-slave labor. But the fact is, Wal-Mart is the leader and innovator in nearly every objectionable development in the US and world economy.

But the problem in this specific case is not just Wal-Mart-- the intersection is not appropriate for any sort of big-box retail, be it Lowe's, Target, or what have you. The Horizon 2020 planning document recognized that, but Compton and Newsome (and likely the Simons, the previous owners) got their buddies on the city commission to arbitrarily ignore it while the ink was still drying.

Newsome and Compton were two of the largest contributors to Dever and Chestnut, and the statements by them in this article are just theater. Wal-Mart will build a store, and it'll be as big a store as they can shoehorn onto the property.

crazyleaflady 7 years, 3 months ago

Dambudzo: "More tax revenues. More good paying jobs with a future. More low priced goods."

Good paying jobs with a future, eh? Do you work there? Do you want to? Do you know anyone who does? How many sales people there make a living wage?

And "low-priced goods" come at a price.That's true whether it's Walmart or another chain retailer or big manunfacturer. How is it that people don't recognize this?!? How dumb to you have to be? There are huge costs in terms of the outsourcing of manufacturing, the abuse of the environment, the abuse of workers....but I guess if that worker isn't you, you don't care. Until YOUR job is gone and your kid is sick from poisoned meat or ag runoff in the water. Wise up, people.

And that's not to mention the impact on the local community. If you want a town like Overland Park, go to Overland Park. I value Lawrence for its local business--those that are left. And they are fewer and fewer. Big chain retailers are having an effect--as are the rising real estate costs downtown, which are affordable now for fewer and fewer local businesses. The turnover downtown in the last 10 years has been tremendous. My husband and I tend to walk downtown, see a new shop, and say "cute place: how long do you give it?"

Keeping Lawrence Lawrence is the responsibility of consumers more than anyone. Buy all your books on Amazon and you won't have any local bookstores, for instance. That's how it goes. I will agree with cowboy that it isn't just Walmart's fault. BUT....

cowboy: They have a "stomp the comp" corporate approach. Yes, in that they are like major retailers; they've just been more effective at it. In several small towns, they've opened stores, slashed prices, run local business out of town, and then closed the "local" Walmart only to expand another neighboring store into a supercenter--so the initial town is left without businesses. Happy to give the names of some of those towns if you want them.

You might look at "How Walmart Is Destroying America" for a fuller explanation of what the problem is with Walmart in particular v. other major chains.

News_to_me 7 years, 3 months ago

Personally, I think a new Wal Mart at that location is very appropriate and will be a lasting tribute to the results of this election. Enjoy!

cowboy 7 years, 3 months ago

I worked in a fortune 200 corporate headquarters for about five years of a highly reputable company , they would pay off most anybody to avoid any negative publicity that would affect their brand. This drove many of the employees nuts as they were obviously bogus claims , but looking at the big picture it made sense and kept the pristine rep of the company clean. walmarts macho legal group has nothing to lose reputation wise so they just fight everyone.

cowboy 7 years, 3 months ago

crazy lady , what lawrence businesses have shut down , im fully aware of the small town impact but lawrence ain't no small town and I'm having a hard time figuring out who they are going to hurt here. Help me out give me a list.

News_to_me 7 years, 3 months ago

Sorry but my destination of choice on weekends is not Wal Mart. More likely to be Target but that's just a personal choice. But hey, enjoy the traffic.

crazyleaflady 7 years, 3 months ago

It is indeed "appropriate." And given the numbers who voted for Dever and Chestnut in the new West Lawrence, I assume they'll all be thrilled about it. Glad my kids don't go to Free State.

concernedparent 7 years, 3 months ago

Anybody been to the new Walmart off 24 hwy in Topeka? The one right across from Dillon's? It seems to be getting business and Dillon's seems to be doing fine. Dillon's is also having a special that if you use your Dillon's card at that gas station you can save 20 cents per gallon as long as you've spent 100 dollars in their stores in the last month. This encourages me to do my grocery shopping still at Dillon's and my other shopping at Walmart. Works for both stores.

bunnyhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Wal-mart systematically sets out to destroy any and all other businesses in smaller towns, and once the competition is gone, the variety and quality of Wal-mart merchandise declines markedly. The last time I was in Great Bend, the local Wal-Mart had opened a beauty shop! It wasn't enough for them to cripple local grocery and hardware stores.....................they also seek to control the diversity of products produced by manufacturers they buy from........if they manufacturers make products Wal-Mart doesn't buy, they threaten to take their business elsewhere. I guess y'all are going to get what you wished for here..............a big, ugly depository of junk and greed...........

crazyleaflady 7 years, 3 months ago

cowboy, you missed my point. I'm not saying Walmart alone is responsible for the closing of any given Lawrence downtown business; it might be, but that's not my point, and I certainly don't have access to all the records of recently closed downtown businesses to say one way or another. My point is that Walmart has a host of business practices that are harmful at a local, national, and global scale.

If you're "fully aware of the small town impact," I say why support Walmart?

You also note that Walmart goes after everyone because it can. Is that the sort of business we want 2 of in town? They've already expanded their current Walmart into a supercenter. They just won't STOP.

For those who call it a destination store: hey, kids! We already have one! It's a 10-minute drive away from the currently-planned one.

News_to_me 7 years, 3 months ago

I can only sit here and envision West Lawrence looking like Wanamaker Road in Topeka. What a vision for our future. Maybe we can have a Sam's Club too and a Toy R Us and Chuckie Cheese and Lowe's and Dick's and Barnes and Noble and about 50 eating establishments all around 6WAk and continuing on out to the SLT and Highway 40. It just sends shivers down my spine.

crazyleaflady 7 years, 3 months ago

Yes, scenebooster. I really wish more people could think a little bit more broadly about impacts....

Thats_messed_up 7 years, 3 months ago

Merrill, Let it go-you lost, The election is over and it's time for you and the rest of the anti 21st century folks to grab your ankles............................ you'll probably enjoy it.

cowboy 7 years, 3 months ago

I really don't like walmart like you may think , but i look at them like any other revenue producing entity. I would bet that the south iowa store is the single largest contributor in lawrence to sales tax revenue. It brings out of town dollars , and I don't think that they will run anyone out of business here , they have done what the city wanted and will win in court anyway due to our lousy legal work locally , so why not allow them to build. Want to deal with a really sh!t company try Home Depot , now they suck !

oldvet 7 years, 3 months ago

Since "everyone" hates WalMart, why not let them build a huge store and then when "everyone" boycots them, they will loose a fortune on their empty store... You think that WalMart would have learned their lesson by now, since "everyone" boycots the Iowa store and their parking lot is empty most of the time...

gr 7 years, 3 months ago

"My point is that Walmart has a host of business practices that are harmful at a local, national, and global scale."

You mean like, competition?

Maybe Lawrence should only allow unsuccessful businesses, near sighted busisnesses, non-competitive businesses.

Wal-mart used to be your small-town store. But, they wanted to succeed. Do you wish to promote non-progress? If so, why allow any new developments, new libraries, new anything? Just keep it as it was.

As far as the first comment on this thread, "I want the character of this city to be preserved as much as possible.", I hope it was sarcasm. Preserved? At what point? Before all those houses went in, or after your house went in?

News_to_me 7 years, 3 months ago

Not necessarily in the minority b3. Perhaps a minority of the 18.9% turnout. I didn't think we were voting on the new Wal Mart specifically. However, it would be interesting if it were put to a vote.

As far as leaving town, it's not gonna' happen. I don't like gunfire downtown either but surely something can be done about that other than all of us leaving.

crazyleaflady 7 years, 3 months ago

Wow, thats_messed_up. You make a lovely spokesperson for the Doug Comptons of Lawrence. Why should anyone say anything more? Homophobic AND ill-informed. Nice.

Oldvet's actually making one of my points. If people want Lawrence to look like OP, shop at Walmart (and Home Depot, etc). It's as much the consumers' responsibility as anyone's.

b3: The majority rules. That doesn't mean the minority should shut up.

Also, if Dever (not Denver) and Chestnut actually SAID they'd bring the Walmart in--even now that they've been elected--I could see your point. But they're not being honest about it even now.

shirinisb 7 years, 3 months ago

They should focus on the store they already have. I got followed around by 4 employees a little bit ago so I went to Target and spent $256.24. At least their security isn't a bunch of creepy white trash.

crazyleaflady 7 years, 3 months ago

gr, I'm sure your "free-market" capitalism is well-intentioned. However, Walmart has been the of HUGE subsidies globally. The "free market" isn't free. I've actually done research on global development. Please get informed before you go on your rant.

In short, no, I don't mean "competition."

News_to_me 7 years, 3 months ago

I'm beginning to like this idea. Starting with Wal Mart, the world's largest employee friendly employer, 6th and Wakarusa all the way out to Trail Rider's Road becomes Wanamaker East-a hub of shopping activity.

ontheotherhand 7 years, 3 months ago

I do not think that Wal-Mart or other big businesses will kill downtown. I see downtown as being in a big Catch-22. People enjoy it because it is different with its local shops that are unique and specialized. The problem is that these types of stores do not make enough money to afford the growing rents they have to pay. Many of the downtown buildings are owned by people like--surprise surprise--Doug Compton who continue to raise the rents. Sooooo, the specialty people move out and the GAP, Casual Corner, Brass Buckle, and Starbucks moves in. Then, people say that downtown is no longer cool and different. More importantly, downtown becomes no different than any other shopping area in Lawrence. But, the people who will eventually move in and stay will be the ones who can afford the rent, and that will not be the smaller, local stores.

I used to laugh when I would hear people say that they don't want Lawrence downtown to turn into Aggieville in Manhattan (at K-State). I lived in Manhattan 100 years ago (ok, I exaggerate!) and I remember when it had some wonderful local shops. But, rents got higher than revenue and the small business owners moved out. Who moved in? The bars, banks, and pizza parlors! Hey, Chambers of Commerce and Business Associations will do anything to fill a vacant building!

Given the new climate on the Commission, I don't foresee downtown rents leveling out. So, I think we should realize that our downtown is going to eventually look like the rest of Lawrence and any other shopping district in the U.S. Hey, you get what you vote for . . .

crazyleaflady 7 years, 3 months ago

Yes, ontheother hand, I agree. People need to vote with their dollars. If you like downtown, you have to support the businesses as well as the candidates who aren't actively seeking to undermine them. And if you are a property owner, you need to think about the impact of your rents. A lot of the people who own property downtown bought it when the place was a wasteland; they can afford to keep local businesses in with reasonable rents if they want to. But I'm grim like ontheotherhand; if $ is #1, and it is, downtown will be a goner. It's already on the way. More votes like this will speed up its death.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 3 months ago

Wal-Mart has yet to win in their attempts to open any stores in New York City or Los Angeles. I can't see that it's hurting the economies of either city. They seem to have been doing okay without Wal-Mart for decades.

Chicago only recently allowed the first Wal-Mart there, but they have fought against having any more stores there. So far, Chicago is winning. And I would think if a large city like Chicago can make do with one Wal-Mart, so could Lawrence.

Wal-Mart, for now, has decided that the fight against the city of New York isn't worth it. But of course they're going to take it as far as they can in a small town like Lawrence. And yes, compared to New York City, Lawrence is a bump on the map.

They know Lawrence doesn't have as much money to fight them in court.

Why on earth would a big corporation like Wal-Mart fight so hard to force itself into so many communities that don't want them, when there are plenty of others that would welcome them?

Is this an ego thing, or what?

KansasKel 7 years, 3 months ago

So, let me get this straight - everyone knew that these two new commissioners were going to allow Walmart to build at 6Wak, and everyone hates the idea, but yet everyone voted these two commissioners in? Sounds to me like the public has spoken!

Walmart didn't run Kmart out of business. Kmart survived in Lawrence for years (at least 20 that I am aware of) after Walmart came to town...but they couldn't make it after Target came in.

I don't see Walmart closing Dillons or Hyvee down if they build at 6th & Wakarusa. Yes, it'll take some of their business, but not enough to make them close their doors...or wait - here's an idea - maybe even LOWER their prices to (gasp) compete!!!!

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 3 months ago

Um, how does a new Wal-Mart bring in out of town dollars? Who would be driving into town to go to Wal-Mart? There's a Wal-Mart in pretty much every town that surrounds Lawrence.

conservative 7 years, 3 months ago

News to Me,

Sad thing is you are talking about all those types of stores coming to town as if it would be a bad thing. But the fact remains that if more of those types of stores were here, less Lawrence retail dollars would be spent in Topeka and KC.

As far as the intersection not handling the traffic, have you been out there???? 12 foot wide lanes, double turn lanes, and medians, what else would you want? This intersection is designed the same as 95th and Metcalf in KC and little old Lawrence could never provide the same amount of traffic as goes through that intersection.

samsnewplace 7 years, 3 months ago

Very few people shop downtown unless they are imports from the KC area just wanting a day out. The more jobs the city can offer the better. College towns have college students and they all need a job. I say the more retail the better selection, variety, locations. I only hope the snobs of Lawrence won't stop progress to the North and to the West for new businesses.

concernedparent 7 years, 3 months ago

countrygirl 7 years, 3 months ago

Thanks concernedparent--I was going to point out that very thing. I grew up out west where the nearest Wal-mart is over an hour away. The local grocery store prices are so awful that my mom still makes a Wal-mart Supercenter trip about once a month to stock up on staples.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence has the largest Wal-Mart in the state of Kansas sitting at 33rd and Iowa which provides the opportunity for savings.

A building permit had never been issued...good point. Was it illegal for a commission to approve plans that exceeded the square footage set forth in that designated commercial space? It has never been said that Wal-Mart could not build or has it been denied the right. It is the size of the store in question.

Does Lawrence need a 4th grocery store in that area? A city commission has the right to make that decision which should be accompanied by a Retail Impact Study/Economic Impact Study

City Commissions change their minds on many matters however the law suit is about how a new city commission merely provided correction based on an unwise decision of a previous commission. This matter was brought about by neighborhood concerns accompanied with a petition containing about 400 names from the immediate neighborhood affected.

No Lawrence city commission decisions are written in stone.

What does an employee of Wal-Mart draw in Lawrence,Kansas? This is what matters.

Not only that I would encourage Doug Compton and Bill Newsome to beautify that intersection with an organic nursery complelely surrounded with beautiful bermed lanscaped demonstrations of what their landscaping staff could deliver. Nurseries are more beautiful than buildings.

North Lawrence needs a grocery store and hardware store. Northwest Lawrence does not.

concernedparent 7 years, 3 months ago

Wow, I swear I just read that exact same post on Larryville.com. Oh wait, I did!

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 3 months ago

concernedparent wrote:

"Hey Roadkill there isn't a walmart in every town around Lawrence. Ever been to Perry, Lecompton, Baldwin, Eudora? No walmarts there. Where do you think those people shop?"

Why can't they go to the existing Wal-Mart then? Why do we need another one?

kansasgirl64 7 years, 3 months ago

People dont understand that a town this size can handle a new Wal-Mart super center I live on that side of town and would like to see Wall-Mart build there. I get tired of driving across town, it will also open up about 300 new jobs, everyone always complain about not enough jobs.

concernedparent 7 years, 3 months ago

Confrontation 7 years, 3 months ago

countrygirl (anonymous) on April 5, 2007 at 10:27 a.m. "I grew up out west where the nearest Wal-mart is over an hour away."

I completely understand your Mom's situation. We also had to make our monthly hour-long trip to a bigger city. The small stores in nearby towns all had monopolies and charged a fortune. I'd love to see Dillons get some more competition and be forced to lower their incredibly overpriced items.

Rationalanimal 7 years, 3 months ago

SETTLE! This whole litigation is wasteful and is the result of hardline socialist philisophy and zoning gerrymandering by Highburger and the SLC. Their own 250k study concludes Wal-mart is good for the City. As an employer, Wal-mart provides more jobs than any downtown business could dream of. As a supplier of goods, Wal-mart keeps businesses supported by protectionist socialists honest. Wal-mart provides a strong job base, cheaper goods, and lifts the standard of living throughout the community, unless of course you've already acheived living the charmed downtown lifestyle and can afford dinner for four at the Eldridge every weekend. Facts are stubborn things. Stop wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars, it's bad for Lawrence, it's bad for lower and middle class Lawrence families.

history 7 years, 3 months ago

Has anybody heard from Shauner? What did he have to say?

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 3 months ago

"Because it is a 40 minute jaunt across town!"

It takes you 40 minutes to get across town? Do you ride a skateboard?

Marion, you clown people for cutting and pasting. However, this kind of looks familiar:

"Downtown is ALREADY DEAD!; like a chicken with its head cut off, it just doesn't know it yet!

The "PROGRESSIVES"(Read:"REPRESSIVES") KILLED IT!"

sourpuss 7 years, 3 months ago

Wal-mart is not going to fix anything, and it is not going to destroy anything. It is just another store in Lawrence with low-paying jobs and shoddy goods, like most of south Iowa. People can raise as big of a stink about it as they like, but how many of you could really pay your mortgage on a Wal-mart stock salery? How many of you who don't shop at Wal-mart now will suddenly start going there? Mostly, it will just separate the wal-mart community in Lawrence, just like building a second high school separated the school community. IT DOESN'T MATTER. Fix the roads, clean the air, make housing more affordable if you really want to improve Lawrence.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 3 months ago

concernedparent:

"Because its closer to some people and more convienent. Why do we need 4 McDonalds in Lawrence? 2 applebees? Are you causing a stink over all of those places, or is it because you have a personal issue with walmart?"

No, I don't think we need those places either but they don't destroy communities as much as Wal-Mart does.

Personally, I'm willing to give up "convenience" to save a little character in the only town with any culture left in this region.

concernedparent 7 years, 3 months ago

Roadkill then don't shop there. Give up convenience and drive across town, but don't be mad that I don't. I don't live in Lawrence, I work in Lawrence. I live North of Lawrence, so I'll choose to shop there when its built. I'll also work 2 blocks from there, making it even easier to get there to pick up items that I may need. Life is all about choices. You make yours and I'll make mine.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 3 months ago

Yes, you're right and I choose not to shop there or eat at Mcdonalds. I don't make a lot of money and I'm still able to support local businesses and eat healthy.

If you choose to shop there, do yourself a favor and research the evil entities of Wal-Mart. If you continue to shop there and you're okay with it, so be it.

EXks 7 years, 3 months ago

Wal-Mart is a CANCER. It metastasizes throughout a community, until it finally kills off any competition.

Drive through any small town in America and witness the death and destruction Wal-Mart has inflicted upon independent business owners. But that's capitalism at work, right???

bugmenot 7 years, 3 months ago

I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart in 8 years because of the way they treat their workers, women, and the way they outsource abusive working practices to third world countries. Why all all the ire directed at Wal-Mart? Because they are so large that they basically dictate the way business runs, especially in third world countries. When they do that, it has an affect across all companies, from Target to the local mom and pops. They do it all to save you a buck, and people are too self-centered or stupid to understand that when Wal-Mart "rolls back" its prices, it's always at someone else's expense. Sometimes it's at the expense of some poor Indonesian child. Maybe Wal-Mart shoppers can put that out of their minds because they don't have to see that child suffer or (more likely) have no idea where Indonesia is. But, how can you ignore the people working there, right in front of your face. Those are not people who earn a living wage. Those are not people who can support a family, even working full time. Those are people without health insurance. Those are women who will always be working the cash register and never managing because Wal-Mart is discriminatory in its hiring and promotions. Those are illegal immigrants, cleaning the floors. Are people really that selfish that they can ignore the suffering they cause to save 45 cents on off-brand Dr. Pepper? Honestly.

Jim1978 7 years, 3 months ago

I'm not a big Wal-Mart fan, but the people that fight against Wal-Mart make me laugh.

Do some research, in Chicago the alderman that were against Wal-Mart were pro-union and receive huge donations from the union. These alderman are not fighting against low wages, they are protecting the union so they can get contributions. In the part of Chicago where they actually built a Wal-Mart, 100's of former welfare receipients are now making 8 or 9 dollars an hour. Which would you rather have? Welfare or Wal-Mart? Not to mention the money that the community saves by shopping at Wal-Mart.

Why does Wal-Mart force there way in? It is because they have a great market research department that knows where they need a Wal-Mart. They know that once they get past the few hundred protesters that thousands of people will shop the Wal-Mart.

Dillons is a National grocery store chain owned by Kroger. They are no more local then Wal-Mart. I think that Kroger may be the second largest grocery store chain behind Wal-Mart. (They pay no better than Wal-Mart as well!)

All national retail stores pay there employees poorly. I used to be a manager for a couple of different ones. We never let our employees make there own schedule. They had to be available at all times to be there when the customer is. Unfortunatley most customers are there right after work and school and on the weekends. Working retail is not family friendly. I don't know why Wal-Mart is the one getting the bad rap for that one.

Someone mentioned the salary cap that Wal-Mart instituted for employees making more that $13.00 an hour. Chains like Target have been doing that for YEARS. They realized that some employees have been working there for years, these employees have no ambition to promote, and they were making 18.00 an hour. The same wage that an entry level salaried manager makes.

StirrrThePot 7 years, 3 months ago

I hate Wal-Mart. I f** hate it.

There will always be some Generica we have to deal with, but I don't want two of these godforsaken stores in my town. The one we have is awful as it is. I drive there only to drop off my recycling, or if I can't find what I am looking for anywhere else (and that is rare).

Linda Endicott 7 years, 3 months ago

Why does Wal-Mart force their way in?

Because they CAN. They have the money and the clout to do it. That's why.

As I stated before, there are countless communities that would welcome a Wal-Mart. Why aren't they building them there, instead of fighting so hard with communities that don't WANT them there?

bugmenot 7 years, 3 months ago

If you only make 8 dollars an hour, you're still on welfare because you have no health insurance and you're on Medicare.

They don't research where they're wanted. They decide where they want a store, and they force it in even it means their own nearby stores will fail. It's the same model Subway uses.

Dillons doesn't have the impact on the world and on southeast asian manfucaturing that Wal-Mart does. If Dillons runs a dirty business, it doesn't mean that Hy-Vee has to just to keep up. If Dillons makes dirty decisions just to save a buck, you can guarantee the idiot yokels will keep shopping there, so Hy-Vee can either go out of business or do what Dillons does and charging prices which do not reflect the true cost of manufacturing without child labor/forcing people to work off the clock/hiring illegals.

All national retail stores do this mostly because they're cheap, but also because Wal-Mart forces them to. If they pay workers more, their goods will cost more, and selfish people will flock back to Wal-Mart to save money without caring why it costs so much less there.

StirrrThePot 7 years, 3 months ago

Aren't there enough $8-$9-per-hour jobs (or less) in Lawrence? There is a reason 35% of the county commutes to work outside of the county, and I am pretty sure they are not college students driving to Walmart in JoCo to work...

bugmenot 7 years, 3 months ago

Honestly, do people just not know that Wal-Mart charges the low prices it does because they strongarm manufacturers into doing exactly what they want including utilizing child labor and abuse? Do they not know they force people to work off the clock, discriminate against women, pay minorities less money, and hire illegal immigrants? It's always in the news. I swear it is because people turn a blind eye so they can buy $5 stretch pants with a clear conscience.

Protesters don't want Wal-Mart to go out of business. They're trying to get them to change the way they do business. If the ended all of their abusive "cost savings" measuers, I would shop there again. My question is, how does anyone, knowing this stuff, shop there now? Because it's cheap and that's enough for you? I understand some people are on a fixed income, and they have to shop at the cheapest places they can, so they can't buy with their conscience, but there are lots of pretty well-off people who shop at Wal-Mart. I swear people are just incredibly selfish and short-sighted.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 3 months ago

StirrrThePot,

I wouldn't even do your recycling there. I heard from one of the workers there that it all ends up in land fills anyway.

I'm not sure if this is entirely true but it was enough to convince me to not recycle there anymore.

bugmenot 7 years, 3 months ago

It is true; I heard that as well. They ship it to a Chinese landfill and dump it. They only put it there to make people feel good about Wal-Mart.

sourpuss 7 years, 3 months ago

I doubt it ends up in a landfill. Rather, wal-mart probably sells it to recyclers. Why throw something away that makes you money? There are probably some non-recyclables that end up there that do have to go to the fill though. Honestly, I can't figure out why sorting recycling is so difficult. People can't be that stupid, they must be simply lazy.

StirrrThePot 7 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for the heads-up, roadkill/bugmenot. I've been thinking about doing curbside anyway.

bugmenot 7 years, 3 months ago

I wonder that, too, sourpuss. How hard can it be to sort recyclables?!? The combination of stupidity and laziness that pervades Americans will be this country's downfall, sadly.

I still wonder why Lawrence doesn't have a decent curbside recycling program.

deec 7 years, 3 months ago

Hays does. You put your paper in one blue bag and your glass & metal in another blue bag, and they pick it up once a week. The Dillons uses blue grocery bags, so you don't even have to buy trash bags for your recyclables.

bugmenot 7 years, 3 months ago

I'm so glad to hear that Hays still picks up glass. I know Deffenbaugh in KC stopped picking up glass a few years back, which is horrible. Glass is the easiest material to recycle, and it is the most efficient material to recycle. I guess they want to protect their workers from cuts, but glass is light years ahead of plastic in terms of efficiency and environmentally-friendly recycling.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 3 months ago

If you live near or in east Lawrence, you can go to the Bargain Center on 12th and Haskell.

For years, I had no idea this place was a recycling business but you can pretty much take anything there to be recycled...even bigger items that places like Wal-Mart won't accept.

Jamesaust 7 years, 3 months ago

bozo: "I merely noted that that Dever and Chestnut bought their seats fair and square."

warthog 7 years, 3 months ago

Hey cowboy? I got tired of reading all of the anti-walmart stuff... Did anyone ever answer you? I suspect not. Shame on walmart; they give people jobs. Shame on walmart; they have lower prices that hard working people can afford. Shame on walmart; they promote recycling. Shame on walmart for all the positive aspects of their business because they're big. And if they're big, they must be bad, right? BS. Oh, and don't forget. Because people can pay less at walmart, they might have some money to spend at other shops.

So let's just build another strip mall there with more empty or overpriced storefronts. That's an economy booster.

For those of you that don't want to shop at Wally World, I say fine. Makes it easier for me to find a parking space.

deec 7 years, 3 months ago

The thing with wallyworld is pretty obvious here in Hays. They built the store out on Vine, and now there are a bunch of empty storefronts downtown. I just moved here last year, so I don't know for sure that the 2 events are related. However, they then built a bigger 24 hour walmart north I-70. The old wally bldg is now divided into 3 parts (omni wallia es divisa en tres partes). 2 are occupied and the middle half is sitting empty. I believe the city had to invest quite a bit of money in running utilities out north of the highway. This expansion of utilities has spurred typical growth out north, such as a nice big Goodwill store, chili's , applebees, etc. Hays reminds me of Lawrence when I first went there in 1975. There are still some locally-owned non-chain restaurants, local businesses, etc. Its kind of cool.

bugmenot 7 years, 3 months ago

Warthog, did you read anything I wrote? Shame on Wal-Mart shoppers for not asking, "How can this crap be so cheap?" and then realizing it's not because Wal-Mart cares about them and lowers their profit margin to lower their prices. It's because some poor southeast Asian kid has to work a 20 hour day and be beaten when he doesn't meet his production targets. It's because they hire women, safe in the knowledge that there's a built-in cap to what they'll be paid because women can't go to high up in the company. They save people money, not because they're big, but because they make extremely digusting moral decisions and outsource the real cost of goods by thrusting it on the poor and helpless.

It's not about them being big, it's about what they do to save stupid, selfish, short-sighted people a buck. And, it's more about the stupid people who keep going there, despite the fact that other people suffer so the prices stay low. Shame on people who shop there. Wal-Mart is only responding to what its consumers want, which is cheap prices, no matter who they hurt or how they got so cheap.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 3 months ago

There's a good movie out on dvd right now called "Idiocracy", made by Mike Judge ("Office Space"). It's a satirical futuristic look at how dumb people come to rule the world and smart people have become extinct.

Here is a clip:

It's a jab a Costco but it could easily be Wal-Mart/Sam's Club as well.

otto 7 years, 3 months ago

The reason the city does not want to go to court with Wal-Mart is not due to the money. They now that telling them no is illegal and our city is trying to do the strong arming. Wal-Mart sucks thats a given, but the city thinks they can throw weight around as much as Wal-Mart.

warthog 7 years, 3 months ago

Oh please... The stuff walmart sells is available at just about every other store. The sony tv you buy at walmart is the same as you buy at Best Buy. Why not pick on Best Buy? The fact is, the people you refer to in Asia are making an above standard of living in their country. Are they rich? Hell no. Would I want to do it? Hell no. But it keeps them from begging on the streets or turning to prostitution. Better they build a radio than eat garbage from the street.

preservation 7 years, 3 months ago

I'm just thinking about self-preservation... What does a Walmart do to the area property values? I can't really recall the last time I saw any nice houses or neighborhoods anywhere close to a Walmart. Mostly you see run-down crap and trailer homes. Can anyone shed some light here?

history 7 years, 3 months ago

WOW, some people are as dumb as they look, i have seen most of you at wal-mart. Why do so many people shop at wal mart? They must provide some kind of service that benefits those people. Some person posted " I hate wal mart" and thats ok. Dont shop at wal mart. I dont shop at the Merc. Do i hate the Merc? i just choose not to shop there. So here it is, Shop where you like, and live and let live. Wal mart is not the end of things there are much worse companys out there.

bugmenot 7 years, 3 months ago

People pick on Wal-Mart because they, as the biggest player in the industry, dictate how manufacturing is to be run. Other players are forced to do what Wal-Mart does. Best Buy can't just say, "We're going to have to charge more because we want to make sure this TV is manufactured without child labor and we want to treat our employees fairly." If Best Buy does taht, most morons will be like, "Duuuh, TV cheaper at Wal-Mart. Me no like Best Buy," and they'll lose business. Best Buy is following the lead of Wal-Mart. Ask any manufacturer - Wal-Mart dictates the way everyone does business. And the way Wal-Mart does business is dirty. They have enough clout to turn things around and dictate that they want to do a cleaner business. Look at what Burger King is attempting to do. They're going to start buying meat and eggs from cageless only farms. I guarantee you they come skittering back to the cheapest possible way of doing business pretty soon because they'll lose business to McDonalds. But, if McDonalds decided to do the same thing, the bar would be raised and everyone could charge a little more for a less morally suspect product. That's why thoughtful people hate them. Because they're the biggest and, by virtue of their size, they have the power to dictate how everyone does business. Instead of trying to help Americans (remember way back in the day when they had their Made in America push and bought stuff from American manufacturers) or at the very least not abuse third world nations, they choose to cut costs at the expense of people who are at their mercy. And idiots just go, "Duuurr, cheaper TV. Yay for Wal-Mart." The cost of everything in this world has a bottom line - i.e. a lowest possible cost. Wal-Mart is dirty because squeezes beyond that bottom line, pushing the cost even lower by creating a human cost that most people don't see or care about. If you shop there, you should be apologizing to the people who check you out, saying, "I'm so glad I got these cheap Fritos; thanks for foregoing a job with health insurance."

buffalo_star 7 years, 3 months ago

All hail the supreme power of da da! WalMart can not withstand the da da and it's high priest the Booger! ;-)

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 3 months ago

"Wow. What arrogant dismissal of the community's reasoning and judgment. A true Marxist."

Oh come on, it was a minor bit of hyperbole on my part, but very minor. If they'd had half the money to spend on this election, it could easily have been a much, much tighter election. It's a fact of the American political system-- the more dollars you have to throw in, the more "votes" you'll get.

And if you think Compton and Newsome gave all that cash to Dever and Chestnut merely because they are civic-minded...

"As I've long noted, the revolutionary with the 'one bullet-one solution' approach lies just below the surface. Should the developer install security cameras to catch you planting the bomb? Does Newsome need to hire bodyguards for his children to protect them from your interpretation of the will of the people?"

With that sort of histrionic display, I think I'm the one who should be looking to protect myself from you.

zimmerman 7 years, 3 months ago

history,

It doesn't happen everytime, but for the most part Wal-Mart has been proven to bring property values down.

Because Wal-Mart leads to the closure of surrounding businesses, the property values on those commercial strips decrease as more and more establishments remain vacant. It has been shown that when a Wal-Mart is built close to a residential neighborhood, the property values of those homes are put in danger.

One good example of this is when in Lake Charles, LA neighbors of a Wal-Mart supercenter watched their property values drop 28% within the first 4 years after the store opened.

More instances can be shown in a report on Wal-Mart's impact on a group of towns in Iowa. If you want to look it up it's called--- What Happened When Wal-Mart Came to Town? A Report on Three Iowa Communities with a Statistical Analysis of Seven Iowa Counties

Here's some more info. This link shows data for decreases in property values in a New Hampshire town. http://www.sprawl-busters.com/search.php?readstory=123

EXks 7 years, 3 months ago

Must shop at Wal-mart.... Must shop at Wal-Mart..... Must shop at Wal-Mart........... Wal-Mart good for my wallet....... me like Wal-Mart.....

Ok, all you drones out there, repeat after me.......Must shop at.....

Michael Capra 7 years, 3 months ago

CONEFLOWER BACK AWAY FROM THE BONG

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 3 months ago

"Do not forget,,,,,the long list of feeders is about to come."

David, you've been going on about that for years. What's with the faux suspense?

coneflower 7 years, 3 months ago

I stopped taking my family to Mike Amyx for haircuts.

If he won't support Lawrence, I won't support him.

NO to another Wal-Mart.

NO to another retail store at 6th and Wakarusa.

NO to Amyx, Hack and any other commissioner who says yes.

Noweigh 7 years, 3 months ago

And the voters said "No" to the "No-sayers" on the commission. Don't like Wal-Mart, don't shop there.

The free marketplace is amazing. It actually gives consumers what they want.
Just ask the Merc.

The Merc delivered what a certain consumer group wanted and it grew larger. And when it grew where did they move? (drum roll please...)....WEST!

Brian Conrad 7 years, 3 months ago

say no to coneflower.. have lived here forever and very happy the no expansion boneheads are mostly gone... housing starts have slowed drastically compared to past years. lower and middle class welcome savings and JOBS!!!! buiding creats jobs for those who were not handed everything in life. liberal spendaholics were attempting to kill what was a great expanding fun town. put in some more million dollar EURO roundabouts?? but SAY NO to everything else???

Brian Conrad 7 years, 3 months ago

Liberal .. did you pay for your education or inherit ?? most finger pointers have had it dropped in thier lap.

warthog 7 years, 3 months ago

Gee, liberal, you ass... you just dissed the millions of employees that do an honest day's work for Walmart and nearly every other retail outlet in the United States. You da man! I wanna be like you when I grow up.

Sigmund 7 years, 3 months ago

"It doesn't happen every time, but for the most part Wal-Mart has been proven to bring property values down."

What a better way to affordable housing in Lawrence?

Meatwad 7 years, 3 months ago

A 2nd Wal-Mart, though totally unnecessary as we ALREADY HAVE ONE, will not kill downtown. What hurts downtown is agressive pan-handlers and drunken or drugged out homeless people. You can't walk a block sometimes without being accosted by beggars. And the other day I was on 8th Street walking alongside a very impaired homeless man who had completely crapped his pants. That's what will hurt our downtown. You don't have to deal with that when you shop at Wal-Mart (well I don't shop there but I assume you don't see that). Those people should be cared for in a facility and not cared for by being on our downtown sidewalks drinking, etc.

Meatwad 7 years, 3 months ago

That will be neat if the new Wal Mart tanks.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 3 months ago

"Now you tell me who the a$$ is bonehead."

I'd say in addition to your hard work, you also got lucky (or at least not unlucky-- you could have been born an Indian peasant, or in a ghetto in the US.) Quit dissing those who weren't as fortunate.

Michael Capra 7 years, 3 months ago