Archive for Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Western precincts appear to have stronger voting turnout

But percentages vary from precinct-to-precinct

April 3, 2007, 9:49 a.m. Updated April 3, 2007, 4:20 p.m.

Patsy Woods, Lawrence, casts her vote at the Cornerstone Southern Baptist Church, 802 W. 22nd St., in this April 2007 file photo. Boomer and senior voters cast the majority of votes in the last few Douglas County elections.

Reader poll
Who is your favorite City Hall candidate today?

or See the results without voting

Turnout, as expected, was light during the early hours of voting for Lawrence City Commission and Lawrence School Board.

"No real issues this morning," said Keith Campbell, who supervises Douglas County elections.

He added that a precinct supervising judge ran her car off the road during the early morning rain, but made it out of the ditch in time to get the poll open by 7.

"She's feisty," Campbell said.

At Trinity Lutheran Church in East Lawrence, 40 voters had cast ballots by 9 a.m. today. That put the precinct on pace to achieve 10 percent turnout for the day - which, given low turnout expectations, was being treated as a bit of an achievement.

"We are very pleased with the turnout so far," said Mary Alexander, a poll worker.

Kristen Blosser, a Kansas University student from Lawrence, was among the East Lawrence voters.

"Definitely Wal-Mart and the South Lawrence Trafficway route," she said, when asked what issues brought her to the polls. "I think environmental issues are really important to me, and support for the East Lawrence neighborhood."

Turnout was better in the western reaches of town. By 8 a.m., poll workers at Mustard Seed Christian Fellowship said 72 people had voted during an early morning rush.

At 11:10 a.m., 94 voters had cast their ballots at Central Junior High School, 1400 Mass., which is about 10.5 percent of the precinct's 892 registered voters. The storm that moved through Lawrence this morning dampened early turnout, poll worker Ruth Turney said.

Khabira Gruber, Lawrence, said candidates' views on growth were among the issues that drove her decisions in the City Commission race.

"I voted based on issues about neighborhoods and issues about growth, minimum wage, the whole list of things," Gruber said. "I like what Schauner and Highberger have done."

In the 20th precinct, at First Southern Baptist Church, 4300 W. Sixth St., poll workers were frustrated by the relatively low turnout as of 10:30 a.m.

After 3 1/2 hours of open polls, the workers had collected all of 111 ballots - out of 1,720 registered voters.

"That's pitiful," said Karen Keim, supervising judge, who has been working at the precinct for a decade. "That's not a good percentage. A good percentage would be 50 percent."

But not likely, even with Douglas County Clerk Jamie Shew hoping for 25 percent turnout, Shew's staff sent Keim and her two fellow workers 950 ballots - or enough to handle a little more than 50 percent of the precinct's registered voters, including some who already had voted either in advance or by absentee ballot.

Among the relative few to stop by the precinct Tuesday morning was Marvin Groh, a retired educator who made it to the polls because he "always votes," not because any particular issue had caught his 80-year-old eyes this year.

"I'm a senior citizen - taxes are tough for us, when they keep going up," he said. "But I don't know what you can do about it."

He said that campaign issues often raised by Lawrence City Commission candidates Mike Dever and Rob Chestnut - about broadening the city's tax base by attracting new businesses and creating new jobs - were important to him, but declined to disclose who he voted for.

As for the Lawrence school board, Groh knew who he needed to vote for.

"I just asked my wife," said Groh, whose wife, Lois Groh, taught for 42 years at Lawrence High School. "She know about all that."

By noon, though, only 50 people had voted at New York School. And at 12:30 p.m. only 61 of the 1,064 registered voters in the 38th precinct had stopped to vote at Prairie Park School.

Election judge Doris Stubeck thought the morning's rainy weather might have slowed the early turnout.

"We do have a lot of retired clientele in this neighborhood, so maybe it will pick up later," she said.

At 2 p.m., 140 of the 891 registered voters had cast ballots at Central Junior High.

"It's much, much better than what the primary was," said Bonnie Bond, polling site clerk. "By this time at the primary, we didn't even have 100."

At mid-afternoon Tuesday, Douglas County Clerk Jamie Shew sent an e-mail to local reporters, reporting "light-to-moderate turnout."

"One precinct may be having a light turnout and the precinct next door will be having a larger turnout," Shew wrote. "I think the morning deluge of rain had an impact on the early morning rush, which may mean that the afternoon rush will be larger."

Voter turnout was hit-and-miss this afternoon, according to information gathered from precincts checked by the Journal-World.

For example, at Pioneer Ridge Assisted Living, 4851 Harvard Drive, there were about a half-dozen people standing in line to vote at 3 p.m.

Poll workers there had served 270 voters, or 21 percent of the total number of voters in the precinct. Voter turnout also was high at nearby Brandon Woods, 1501 Inverness Drive. At 2:50 p.m., 306 voters had turned in ballots. That was a turnout of nearly 22 percent.

Several voters on the west side of town said they were being driven to the polls by economic development-related issues.

"I'm looking to get a little bit more business into City Hall," said Glen Davis, who voted at Holcom Recreation Center, 2700 W. 27th Street. At 2:25 p.m., voter turnout was 16 percent - or 134 voters - at Holcom.

Some said they were looking for a change in attitude.

"They waste so much money on consultant fees, and then they don't get the answers they want, so they just ignore them," said Shelley Ezell, who voted at Pioneer Ridge.

At several precincts on the east side of town, voter turnout was lower. At 2 p.m., the precinct at Haskell Indian Nations University, near 23rd and Barker, had 4 percent turnout - or 73 voters.

At 1:30 p.m. at Kennedy Elementary, 1605 Davis Road, turnout was 4.3 percent - or 74 voters - at 1:45 p.m. At 1:30 p.m. at the East Lawrence Recreation Center, there had been 83 voters - or a turnout of 7.5 percent. Central Junior High was one of the busier locations west of Iowa Street with 15.7 percent turnout - or 140 voters - at 2 p.m.

Several East Lawrence voters said they were concerned about preserving the older parts of the community.

"I would like to see people who pay more attention to downtown and quit giving all the money to big box stores," said Terri Wilson, who voted at New York Elementary School, 936 N.Y. The New York precinct had tallied 67 votes - or 7 percent - at 1:20 p.m.

Several voters said they were making decision with less information than they would like.

"I don't know that I heard enough from any of them to really know where they stand on the issues," said Michael Reid, who voted at the Clinton Parkway Assembly of God, 3200 Clinton Parkway. At 2:35 p.m., the Clinton Parkway location had 153 voters - or 12.9 percent.

Polls are open until 7 p.m. today.

More election news throughout the day.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 8 months ago

"This town was cool long before the PLC had their four years of "glory-turned-demise.""

This town was cool inspite of insipid, narrow-minded frat boys like you, Godot.

But the only thing that is really going to change in the next 2 years is that Wal-Mart will build a huge store at 6th and Wakarusa, and 2 Dillons stores will be sent on their way to closing. Sales tax receipts will not increase appreciably, and infrastructure in older areas of town will continue to be neglected. If new businesses and employment are brought to town, they will not come with high-paying jobs or an expanded tax base.

This election has been a fraud perpertrated on Lawrence. It'd be nice if you cheerleading sycophants would have the integrity to acknowledge that as it plays itself out, but your collective mental illness likely precludes that.

SettingTheRecordStraight 7 years, 8 months ago

Help is on the way!

Vote Dever, Chestnut and Bush.

4chewnut 7 years, 8 months ago

Or vote Highberger, Schauner and Maynard-Moody to keep Lawrence from becoming Olathe.

opinion 7 years, 8 months ago

I find it hard to understand why people don't vote. Maybe I am a geek but I look forward to election days!

blackwalnut 7 years, 8 months ago

Marion sounds like Bush & his political capitol in Nov 2004 and we are seeing how gloating sore winners who make way too much of a close win end up.

Don't forget the state board of ed too.

Complacent nonvoters are going to be sorry. Lawrence will deteriorate. Spoils will be taken. And it will all be reversed in 2 years.

Deja vu.

weedwacker 7 years, 8 months ago

4chewnut, I find it hard to believe why you say "keep Lawrence from becoming Olathe". Wow, these guys would have done a lot in a short time. And if you look at Olathe, their schools are nicer, cleaner and their sports facilities are out of this world! So far all that Olathe has done has made their town grow and make things nice and it is a thriving community. Why wouldn't you want Lawrence to look good to visitors? Doesn't make much sense. We need the tax revenue. It's time for a change. Highberger, Schauner and Maynard-Moody will keep us in the past, it's time to move forward just like all other communities, NOT just Olathe.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 8 months ago

You know, Marion, the funny thing is that Dever and Chestnut, if they acknowedge you at all, will be trying to disavow any connection with you or Capra.

But I expect that you're both used to that by now.

Unix_Admin 7 years, 8 months ago

Dever, Chestnut and Bush suck. Vote Highberger, Schauner and Maynard-Moody!

day 7 years, 8 months ago

Olathe has lower unemployment, higher wages, better schools, better parks & rec. What's not to like?

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 8 months ago

Why wouldn't you want Lawrence to look good to visitors?

Olathe has no visitors; it is a bland "Anytown, USA". Compare pedestrian traffic in downtown Lawrence to downtown Olathe on any given Saturday.

Mackadoo 7 years, 8 months ago

weedwacker, using "community" to describe Olathe is a stretch, at best. It's a bunch of neighborhoods with matching shades of taupe houses trying to outdo each other with each new gaudy street sign for the new treeless subdivision just developed. Sounds like a hell hole to me.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 8 months ago

Olathe has no character, just like West Lawrence.

boxturtle 7 years, 8 months ago

In the last 4 city commission elections the difference, on average, between a candidate getting a seat or not gettting a seat was 265 votes. Your vote matters.
Please save lawrence from ugly sprawl and a dead downtown - vote Boog, Schauner, and Maynard-Moody.

Eileen Emmi Jones 7 years, 8 months ago

Very sad that turnout is light.

15% of registered voters determined the primary, and west Lawrence had most of that.

Please vote.

sissezz 7 years, 8 months ago

vote boog!! I love Lawrence just the way it is

Confrontation 7 years, 8 months ago

I was the only one at my polling place when I voted. It took about 2 minutes of my time. Plus, I get this nifty "I Voted in Douglas County" sticker. It lets people know that I'm making the decisions for those who are too lazy to vote.

opinion 7 years, 8 months ago

Anyone have a link to a report on primary results that show voter turnout (%) in each of the precints? Douglas-county.com only shows total for the city. I am really looking for all of the raw numbers.

kj 7 years, 8 months ago

I voted I was #18. You don't get to complain about the outcome if you don't vote.

Pessimist 7 years, 8 months ago

The people posting on this page don't need encouragement to vote. It is obvious that they are paying attention and participating.

I'm sure all of you out there know someone who never votes. Get them off the couch and take them to vote TODAY!

The system only works when people participate!

weedwacker 7 years, 8 months ago

You guys crack me up. You love your all mighty Lawrence and no where is any better. Yes, I suppose the "downtown" Olathe is not as nice as Lawrence, but, I wouldn't put Lawrence's downtown on any top charts. I go downt here day and night, it is nothing to brag about. Evenings are really scarey, and the daytime, well, let's just say pretty scarey also but in a different way. I live in East Lawrence, so I am not one of those "West" Lawrence people. I just want a change at the City Hall. Boog SUCKS!!! Why not try a different approach. Also thanks "day" for agreeing that Olathe has a lot to offer, so what is wrong with it? I could see it if it were not doing well, but dang are they doing well. I have many friends (And none are rich) that live in Olathe. Not a bad community. Try usuing some other community to compare us to, not one that is working!

rhd99 7 years, 8 months ago

You don't get yourselves out there & vote, you have no right to complain! DADADADADADA! What's that? Oh, that's Boog's voice in the wind of change as he is wiped off the Commission! Boog sucks. Schauner sucks. Chestnut, Bush, Dever!

weedwacker 7 years, 8 months ago

tony88, my daughter is under 18, and she has done many hours for political campaigns. I would doubt that would would have an opinion on this election. She leaves that up to the people that CAN vote. Kids under 18 all the Freedom of Speach they need!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 8 months ago

This is news, Marion?

Near as I can tell, you've never contributed anything of value to anyone or anything.

Porter 7 years, 8 months ago

"Boog sucks"

Good argument, guys. That's definitely going to win over the undecided!

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 8 months ago

"Evenings are really scarey, and the daytime, well, let's just say pretty scarey also but in a different way. "

REALLY?!?! Man, you need to spend some time in other downtowns...Lawrence downtown might be one of the least scariest places I've ever been to, day or night.

Mackadoo 7 years, 8 months ago

weedwacker, please go live in boring, bland, artsless, big-box-retail Olathe if you like it so much better than Lawrence.

At least we have a downtown. And it wasn't "scarey" (sic) at all last night when I went to see Guster at Liberty Hall.

My favorite band. In concert. On a Monday night. Something you won't find in Olathe.

rhd99 7 years, 8 months ago

Porter & everyone else, the argument that Chestnut Bush & Dever suck oh yeah, that sends undecided voters out in high numbers too. Not! No one has shown me or others why Boog is so much better than the other guys. How has Boog shown he is business friendly? The fact is no one has proof that he has been business friendly on the whole. The arguments that have been made against Chestnut Dever & Bush are off the mark by a long shot. What evidence does one have that these three guys cannot improve Lawrence for the future? It's simple, you Chestnut Dever & Bush haters have no proof, just hateful propaganda!

guesswho 7 years, 8 months ago

It is sad there seems to be a litmus test for candidates - I believe all candidates want the best for the city - just different ideas of what that is. It is simplistic to think Lawrence will or should stay "just the way it is" - but hopefully whoever the winners will be will balance attracting businesses and jobs with keeping a sense of community and not letting developers run the city. Too often developers buy a huge patch of land for cheap, subdivide it, and build houses without planning for traffice, schools, and parks. Not allowing for growth is equally as bad.

local_support 7 years, 8 months ago

I just voted for who I feel is best qualified for the job. I'm not a fan of "any growth is good growth" and I made my choices based on this. I also spoke with a few folks who have attended many of the open forums and asked numerous questions of each candidate. I feel confident with my decisions and whether the candidates that I voted for win or lose I am happy to be contributing to the local democratic process here in Lawrence...a community I am proud to call home.

rhd99 7 years, 8 months ago

guesswho & local, what are your concerns for the future of Lawrence, & how does one strike a balance between business interests & sense of community?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 8 months ago

It is a disappointing election, Marion, but at least I have one consolation-- I'm nothing like you.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 8 months ago

"Turn out is light because the liberals vote on Wednesday."

Dambudzo,

That joke was as funny today as it was yesterday...make sure you post it again tomorrow and Thursday if you really want to get crazy. As a matter of fact, just make that your "go-to" joke for the whole year and recycle it as much as possible. Your a true comedian.

shockchalk 7 years, 8 months ago

Regardless of light or heavy voter turnout, the face of the city commission will be changed tomorrow. Chestnut, Dever, and Bush will prevail. The people in Lawrence will have a chance for some postive change.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 8 months ago

Why would anyone support special interest real estate money in a local election after bitching about special interest influence in Washington D.C.? Dirty money is dirty money! This type of influence peddling creates the epitome of a conflict of interest. Not to mention unethical and irresponsible.

This reason alone made voting for Carey Maynard - Moody,Dennis"Boog" Highberger and David Schauner a matter of principle.

weedwacker 7 years, 8 months ago

Roadkill_Rob, I have been to many safer towns than Lawrence. Don't go acting like I'm some little hick that never gets out of Lawrence. I will take many towns over Lawrence to walk with my family. I didn't say it was always unsafe. In my post, I was saying that you posters that think that Lawrence is the best thing around obviously hasn't went anywhere else. You are the ones that need to visit other towns, not me. Again, I don't see what is wrong with wanting our town to attract new people. Seems to me more people spend more money, which in turn helps Lawrence. Think about it, when the students leave, the town hurts. Many businesses have a hard time surviveing because too many people leave in the summer. See, more draw to the town would mean more money.

weedwacker 7 years, 8 months ago

And for Mackadoo--I was downtown last evening also. It was kind of dead (unlike usual), maybe because there was a big game on and a lot of people were watching it? But I spend at least 5 days/nights downtown a week. Don't go acting like our town is so great. I worked down there for 10 years. There is also a lot that you don't see.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 8 months ago

weedwacker,

What other towns are you speaking of? Maybe some smaller towns are safer but compared to any town of equal or greater size, Lawrence is by far the safest I've been to...I've lived on both coasts and the midwest.

And compared to other Kansas/Missouri towns, Lawrence is also tops on the list when it comes to character and liveliness.

Lastly, I'd hardly say that Lawrence hurts when the students leave. I see more people shopping and hanging downtown during summertime than most other towns in Kansas or Missouri.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 8 months ago

Don't go acting like our town is so great.

If it isn't great, why on earth would you continue to choose to live here? I lived in Overland Park for a couple years and realized what a hole it was, so I moved to Lawrence instead and love everything about this city. It has much more character than anything in Johnson County. As a resident of east Lawrence, aren't you happy to see some of the great old architecture in your neighborhood? It sure beats the generic neighborhoods in Olathe where every third house on the street looks alike.

FreetoBe47 7 years, 8 months ago

Let's just look at the facts here. Lawrence needs more jobs and ones that pay decent wages not $8.00 and $9.00 an hour. Boog apparently does not get it, does not care if he gets it, he works out of town and apparently is out of touch with how it really is. This town needs change, the same old stagnant leadership( and I use that term very loosely) needs to be shaken up and we need a do-over. Chesnut, Dever, and Bush got my vote! Do we really want a guy on our city commission with the name boog(bogger)?

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 8 months ago

Question:

Why does it have to be either one set of 3 (highberger, schauner, moody) or the other (Bush, Dever, Chestnut)?

It seems like a mixture of both would best represent all parties in Lawrence and be best for compromising issues.

weedwacker 7 years, 8 months ago

I totally agree FreetoBe47. This town needs change. It really pisses me off when people "the all and mighty ones" say that our town is so great. We don't have a fair wage. We need to have one. It is funny how these commissioners want to tell us what we should and shouldn't have for businesses in Lawrence when they don't work in Lawrence. Why do I live here? Well, I have a great job, and I live here. That is what Dever and Chestnut are working for. They want people to move here and work here. The two together is what a strong community needs. Why work out of town if you preach how great a community it is? I thought so, it's easier to preach than it is to follow. And what a Crock!! This town does hurt in the summer. I have a lot of friends that have businesses here, and don't kid yourself, Lawrence depends on the students spending their money. Even at Christmas time, the resturants hurt because there aren't a lot of customers. It might not be a big deal to you but if you have a business, it is a big deal. Even the A/C companies here in town rely on the students. Why not attract new families to live here and work here. It's a win/win situation!

Richard Heckler 7 years, 8 months ago

Johnson County public schools are moving forward because they support their public schools in part with additional public school sales tax money that was voted in. JOCO realizes a community that supports public education is a draw for higher paying jobs. Many USD 497 instructors have been drawn to JOCO due to more favorable salaries.

===============================

More people = more houses = increased cost of community services = increased personal property taxes & fees because residential is not taxed at a rate to cover the cost of community services they create.

More people = more cops,schools,libraries,fire departments,more city equipment,more employees,more parks,more recreation centers,more landscaping,more traffic lights, more etc etc etc = growth is not free = more taxes & fees

Over loaded retail = more struggling retailers due to there being only so many retail dollars on the Lawrence planet. Commuters shop a lot where they work which is not the least bit unusual. Lawrence is part of the Topeka/KCMO metro retail districts due to close proximity thus Lawrence folks shop shop there. Residents from both areas love our downtown which is why they visit. Our daughters Lee Summit in laws love downtown Lawrence...seems that is where the focus should be. ===============================

If Old Navy were located in the 900 block of Mass and CompUSA had a small location in the 800 block of Mass all of the other local small business shops would realize greater revenues due to increased walk by traffic. Some of what is located in the 600 block of Mass should have been spread out along Mass to create additional walk by traffic throughout downtown. Unfortunately Lawrence developers believe in over kill instead of smart development. ===============================

We forget Sears and JC Penneys for decades and decades were anchor stores for downtowns. Lawrence cannot compete with Topeka and KC Metro so may as well resign itself to investing in downtown retail.

Lawrence needs increased wages to further stimulate economic growth or residents will look towards Topeka and KCMO metro forever. Gasoline prices may well force some to relocate closer to employment. Three dollars worth of gasoline is not near as much fun as a three dollar brew.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 8 months ago

Weedwacker,

I'm not arguing against the fact that there needs to be better and more jobs in Lawrence. I agree w/ some of the things that Dever and Chestnut say about the issue which is why I'll probably vote for one of them this evening.

But what does that have to do w/ safety of Lawrence and, in particular, downtown Lawrence? It's not like downtown is over-ridden by poverty and crime...it's far from it.

Every other downtown in every other town in Kansas is either a ghost town (thanks to Wal-Mart) or has safety issues (Wichita, Kansas City).

You can call me an "all and mighty one", but Lawrence is the ONLY place in the midwest that I want to live.

hobb2264 7 years, 8 months ago

Don't kid yourself Roadkill - there are a lot of homeless who reside in downtown Lawrence. Homeless = poverty and typically poverty = crime. Lawrence is no different than any other place in that regard. Just ask someone who works for the LPD where the highest crime rates are in Lawrence.

Confrontation 7 years, 8 months ago

I believe that most people are too lazy to get out of their cars and walk to a voting booth. Maybe if we provide drive-thru voting, then we'll get a larger turnout. Why not allow everyone to vote at WalMart? More people will be there today than at the polls.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 8 months ago

hobb, I guess I have a different perception than some when it comes to poverty-stricken and crime-ridden.

I do see homeless from time to time but usually they keep to themselves or hang out at the shelters near downtown.

I've been to real poverty-stricken, crime-ridden downtowns where violence occurs frequently, vacant or torn up lots make up the block, and the homeless harrass you. I don't see any of these characteristics in downtown Lawrence.

justthefacts 7 years, 8 months ago

I voted just shortly after 7 AM today. So I get to have an opinion. And I split my vote, to show that I am of both minds. On one hand, I don't want Lawrence's downtown to shrivel up and die or be over-run by chain stores with no personalilty or interesting characters. And driving a monster SUV that never sees a dirt road - just b/c all the neighbors have one - is not my idea of doing something "good for the community." On the other hand, we really could use lower property tax, more jobs, and less emphasis on being "odd" in favor or more emphasis on being "fair" if we want Lawrence to survive in any form. Finally, I do not think the West versus East side snobbishness exhibited by some residents of Lawrence benefits the community or makes those who hold such "them us" narrow view points look like anything more then squabbling school children who are still fighting about who's clique is the most popular. There should be room in a city of this size for all kinds of people, homes, and attitudes.

Whether you personally want to see more progress, or to keep the home-town feel, a little civility would go a long way towards promoting both of those goals!

bugmenot 7 years, 8 months ago

Ugh, are there seriously people here saying Olathe is nice? There are lots of parts of JoCo that are actually nice. Olathe is not one of them. Here's an exercise: drive to about 25th and Kasold and stare at that nasty cardboard house development on the right. Imagine it's the entire city. Throw in some big-box stores and chain restaurants. There's Olathe for you. Is that really what you want in Lawrence?

weedwacker 7 years, 8 months ago

Roadkill, you really crack me up. But here again, let's just think of our little KU town that's all great and wonderful. That's also what the paper wants us to think, so let's do that. But if you want reality, talk to people that work for the LPD or even spend a lot of time downtown. But everyone is allowed their own opinions. I do realize that, and I respect yours and you need to respect mine. I have lived in Lawrence way to long to not have seen it going down hill.

justthefacts 7 years, 8 months ago

Maybe those boxes are all that some people can afford bug? Not everyone can afford what might be more appealing (to you or them). What ever happened to trying to see both sides to every issue? The last time I was 100% sure I knew everything was when I was 14.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 8 months ago

The real estate industry has two representatives in Amyx and Hack as of now so it is not like they have not had a voice and votes. If they gain nothing but a simple majority hang on to your wallets. Not spending money for retail,economic and and residential impact studies likely will cost more in loss of revenue and higher taxes. No one is genius enough to just happen to know the answers on the top of their heads. The cost of NOT using these tools will be felt for that is how Lawrence got itself into our high property tax fiasco.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 8 months ago

Justthefacts,

I agree...I think the best governing body is one that's represented by all parties. That's why I'm leaning towards voting for 2/3 out of Highberger, Moody, and Schauner and 1/3 out of Bush, Chestnut, and Dever.

Marion,

Downtown is already dead? I guess all that traffic I saw on Mass. St. today was just passing through to Topeka to shop.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 8 months ago

Maynard-Moody lost my vote by running a campaign on environmental issues. The environment matters, but when a candidate seems to think that THAT is our GREATEST need... she's not in touch. We need JOBS, and not "do you want fries with that?" jobs.

I voted for change.

local_support 7 years, 8 months ago

Posted by Dambudzo (anonymous) on April 3, 2007 at 2:09 p.m.

===================

My concern is Lawrence losing it's unique character which is the main reason why I relocated here six years ago. I don't believe sprawl is sustainable and I have no desire to see Lawrence develop into a mini KC in which people continue to migrate to the many subdivisions that ring the metro area, leaving falling property values and higher crime rates in their place. Is the city destined for this if we allow these subdivisions to grow unfettered? Not necessarily but why take the risk. Like I said before I do not support the "any growth is good growth" mentality. That is why I have concerns about any candidate that receives a significant amount of their campaign funding from sources that have a lot to gain from unfettered growth.

I think each candidate has good qualities and not so good qualities and it's hard to determine who has the best vision for Lawrence with all the noise out there. I really believe that a balance between business interests and sense of community can be achieved but the fact that so many people are voting for these candidates in two blocks (Highberger/Shauner/Moody vs. Dever/Chesnut/Bush) shows that folks aren't really looking for a balance. Or maybe they are, it's always hard to tell when reading these comments.

And how anybody can say downtown is dead here in Lawrence is beyond me. Where I grew up every downtown is dead. No foot traffic, no people, and few if any stores. Everyone drives to Wal-Mart to make their purchases. It's pretty sad and I would hate to see that happen in this community.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 8 months ago

Weedwacker,

I'm not sure why I crack you up by backing up my opinions w/ facts and observations.

I spend A LOT of time downtown and, like I've said, compared to other places of similar sizes, it is a WONDERFUL downtown. It's not perfect but it's above and beyond all other Kansas downtowns. If this is a funny statement to you, please explain why and tell me why I'm wrong...you've not done that yet.

Also, if the LPD complains a lot, then they are truly spoiled. Have the officers you talk to ever worked in Topeka, Salina, Dodge City, Wichita, or K.C.? If they say crime is worse in Lawrence compared to these places, then they are lying to you.

BROWNIE 7 years, 8 months ago

I have lived here since 1958. I went to Lawrence High School and KU. I work here. Many times during my tenure here, there have been cries of "STOP THE GROWTH! KEEP IT A NICE SAFE SMALL TOWN!"

When I grew up here, the population was less than 40,000 people. Our phone books looked like a Sports Illustrated magazine, it was so thin.

I love Lawrence now more than I ever have, and I love its diversity, but now, more than ever, I've seen Lawrence lose its grip on what it's always had, and that is charisma. I voted for Dever, Bush and Chestnut.

I think they will bring back some jobs and some needed tax base. Take it from an old guy who knows, we can't continue to be the laughing stock of Kansas and make it work here. We can't continue to lie to businesses trying to locate here, change the rules and make it work here.

This is Lawrence.

If nothing else, we need to gain back some respect.

just_throw_bozo_from_this_bus 7 years, 8 months ago

DBCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCB DBCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCB DBCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCB DBCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCB DBCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCB DBCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCB DBCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCB DBCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCB DBCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCB DBCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCB DBCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCB DBCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCB DBCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCB DBCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCBDCB

How's that for cut and paste!

Lifelong_Lawrencian 7 years, 8 months ago

Brownie,

I couldn't have said it better. I was born at LMH in '59. There wasn't much to do in this town during the 70's but go to the Granada to see a movie. My arm used to get tired from waving to everyone driving across town because you knew everyone.

Our town is different now -- some worse and alot better, but mostly just different. I agree, Lawrence's #1 attribute is diversity! I think those of us who love it agree that it is an oasis in the middle of vast cultural desert.

KsTwister 7 years, 8 months ago

Brownie: Ditto for us too. Thanks for letting others know what we have known (69 families and counting).

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 8 months ago

You say you like diversity, and then say you voted for Dever, Chestnut and Bush, who above all else, seem to want Lawrence to become as bland as Olathe.

Go figure.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 8 months ago

"I voted for change."

No, dad, you voted for more of the same, which we have courtesy of the government by cronyism and corporate welfare that SOP for decades until four years ago. And that's what we'd return to with Dever, Chestnut and/or Bush.

KsTwister 7 years, 8 months ago

Why did you like John Knox Village better?

blackwalnut 7 years, 8 months ago

Complacency has a high price.

Developers and realtors have their base mobilized because they stand to make millions.

Goodbye, cool college town. Hello, Olathe West!

Michael Capra 7 years, 8 months ago

black thats not true and you will finaly see stuff get done with out spending millions to ask someone to tell you how. I will tell you who I think is going to win in 30 min

Michael Capra 7 years, 8 months ago

Dever

Chestnut

Boog

this how I think it will play I wish it was Dever,Chestnut,and Bush thats from the people in the black vans

blackwalnut 7 years, 8 months ago

458casul: You are beyond tiresome, with the same name-calling over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ...

Give it a rest, already.

Michael Capra 7 years, 8 months ago

BROWNIE 7 years, 8 months ago

Blackwalnut and bozo, I feel for you because you don't have it figured out yet.

You will someday and you might also realize that the guys that want to work for the good of this city will do it because they care about our future and not just a short cup of coffee at the local coffee house. I understand it's more fun to throw stones, but you definitely do not know what you're talking about if you are comparing us to Olathe.

Olathe is an offshoot of KC just like Stanley, etc. Lawrence is, has been and always will be its own town. I doubt we will ever embrace the moniker "Metro KC" although many have wanted us to. And why not? We are the shining star on the hill with our university.

Anyway, don't be afraid someone will come and take your seat at the brewery. If I'd been afraid of that back in the 70's you wouldn't be here today.

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years, 8 months ago

I wish those fat people would hurry up and sing already.

MyName 7 years, 8 months ago

So which Commissioner did you vote for Marion... oh nevermind you don't actually live in Lawrence. That's okay, you're still Suuuuuper PUNDIT! (Do you wear a cape and tights as well?)

Michael Capra 7 years, 8 months ago

Sigmund 7 years, 8 months ago

In the the immortal words of Fukui Kenji, "The free trade, fair range locally grown Soy Curd Battle is Over!"

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 8 months ago

"Your name is appropriate bozo"

Yes, it is, my fellow bozo.

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years, 8 months ago

Maybe you didn't let your right hand know what your left hand was doing?

Sigmund 7 years, 8 months ago

"Lawrence to become as bland as Olathe"

They have better schools, better parks, better jobs, and higher incomes. What income they have they don't have to spend on radon, asbestos, and mold remediation for their crumbling "quaint" poorly insulated homes. Yep, that not something we want here in run down, dirt poor, crumbling roads and decrepit Lawrence, NO SIR'EE!

Idiot.

KsTwister 7 years, 8 months ago

So much for speedy elections they just counted the Pre-votes( advance ballots only). In this order: Dever 22%,Chestnut 21%, Highberger 15 %, Bush 15%(-11 votes under Booger),Shauner 15 % with 513 votes, Moody (they didn't say)

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years, 8 months ago

Who's got the weed at The Boog's victory party?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 8 months ago

Why are you still here Sigmund? You're oh so too good for Lawrence.

idiot

Michael Capra 7 years, 8 months ago

joel mathis is posting under my name sore loser

Sigmund 7 years, 8 months ago

Because Lawrence could become a great town, if you and you buddies would just stop trying to turn it into a third world socialist workers paradise all in attempt to roll it back to the "good ole days" of the 1967. That was forty years ago you silly clown. Time to put down your Marx, Lenin and Mao and wash that dirty "Che" T-shirt. Most of the world rejected them decades ago.

Sigmund 7 years, 8 months ago

Ok, who stuffed the ballots in the 26th precinct?

Sigmund 7 years, 8 months ago

In the 27th precinct 50% of the people voted ... yeah right.

Sigmund 7 years, 8 months ago

This doesn't pass the laugh nor the smell test.

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years, 8 months ago

"The count from the REAL people isn't in yet."

Yeah dude, we don't even count over here. Might as well throw our votes out.

Keith 7 years, 8 months ago

Sigmund: In the 27th precinct 50% of the people voted ... yeah right.

If you think that is bad you should check out precinct 48, more people voted than were registered. That fails both your tests too.

KsTwister 7 years, 8 months ago

39 of 49 precincts tallied 8:25 None of the Western section ,eastern edge and they said with larger precincts not in partial count.

Dever 5377 19.5 % ,Boog 5026 18.3%, Chestnut 4984 ,Shauner 4770 ,Moody (phone rang) , Bush 3585

paladin 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm a indigent nobody, no money, no home, nothin to do, noplace to go, nothin to eat. Don't really care who wins, who loses. Jest tryin ta get by.

Sigmund 7 years, 8 months ago

Keith- You're right! I really think the LJW had things messed up. 110% is a little on the high side!

KsTwister 7 years, 8 months ago

Could not be too bad, you can run a computer. Maybe you should of voted a long time ago?

opinion 7 years, 8 months ago

Keith and Sigmund,

I think the ballots cast number posted actually indicates the 3 votes each registered voter gets.

KsTwister 7 years, 8 months ago

45 of 49 8:45 In this order: Dever 20.5%,Chestnut 19%, Highberger 17.5 %, Shauner 5026 15.5%, Bush 4453 and Moody 4371.

Four precincts left to count.

Sigmund 7 years, 8 months ago

opinion, OF COURSE! I have been up the last Ive had 3 hours sleep in the last 48.

KsTwister 7 years, 8 months ago

Dever( 4 year term), Chestnut(4) and Highberger (2 year term).

They cannot find Shauner to talk to him. He has left the building.

jeudi 7 years, 8 months ago

The results page for LJW http://www2.ljworld.com/elections/2007/apr/03/races/lawrence_city_commission/

is showing precinct 48 (Pioneer Ridge) as having 1246 registered voters 1325 ballots cast

KsTwister 7 years, 8 months ago

[grin] I do notice you were very quiet this election??

KsTwister 7 years, 8 months ago

That is what we thought. Hear that???

crickets.

The bad thing, about 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name. My great grandfather was a lawyer, he would love that one.

blackwalnut 7 years, 8 months ago

Big special interest money wins, folks - just as I predicted it would.

At least we still have Boog. Schauner is a great loss - a passionate, dedicated public servant who was there only to serve.

People will not like this two years from now. But it's too bad because not voting has consequences!

Putting my house on the market. I don't like west Lawrence much anyway, and it's going to get a lot worse.

Marion, put the bong down now. And do yourself a favor: don't read what you wrote, in the morning. I know it always feels like you're being brilliant, when you're wasted, but trust me, it's the drugs.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 8 months ago

Another election in 2 years-- we'll be facing the exact same issues and none of BS campaign issues from Chestnut and Dever will be addressed.

Roads will still be deteriorating, taxes will still be going up, any new jobs will be sh*t jobs bought with generous tax abatements, but the developers who bought some shiny new commissioners will all have all their pet project rubberstamped.

KsTwister 7 years, 8 months ago

I thought it was rather creative. I gave him an A+

"Putting my house on the market." But West Lawrence gets the credit for voting the new commission. You should be proud.

KsTwister 7 years, 8 months ago

The next election will be for Hack, Boog and Amyx. Anyone care to make an early prediction?

Godot 7 years, 8 months ago

"They cannot find Shauner to talk to him. He has left the building."

Woo-Hooooooo!

Godot 7 years, 8 months ago

Am reading the Harry Houdini biography that details the vile activities of the anarchists around the turn of the century, and the efforts of the Secret Service to thwart the anarchists in their effort to overthrow the US government.

100 years later, Lawrence re-elects Boog Highbergerer, an affirmed Anarchist, to the city commission.Where is Harry when we need a great escape?

zimmerman 7 years, 8 months ago

This is very disappointing. Apathy seems to happen when people are comfortable and don't realize just how bad things could get. I guess Dever and Chestnut will show this town how to grow like cancer over the next four years. As someone who was born here, and usually feels a great sense of pride for this town, it breaks my heart to see a local election won because of a huge amount of money donated by a rich special interest group. I'm also very disappointed by the coverage of the election and its debates by the local media--especially the Lawrence Journal World. I guess I fell for the hype that Lawrence was a liberal town. If this is true I guess liberal now means apathetic. For all of you so called liberals who didn't vote, or didn't even bother to look into the issues that are affecting this town, my guess is that four years down the road you'll be wondering "What happened man? This town used to be so cool."

Godot 7 years, 8 months ago

"Posted by just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (anonymous) on April 3, 2007 at 10:35 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You're an idiot, Godot."

...no, I am right.

Godot 7 years, 8 months ago

"my guess is that four years down the road you'll be wondering "What happened man? This town used to be so cool."

nbnozzy 7 years, 8 months ago

Thank gawd the 3 stooges are no more as a team. Stooge Boog survived but will be a lone crying voice for "da-das" a cappella.

Maybe, just maybe.... we can have OUR Lawrence back.

One of the first things the new city commision seriously needs to do is rein in the city manager. He's also anti-growth and in my opinion needs a one way ticket out of town.

KsTwister 7 years, 8 months ago

The people were smart enough to figure it out, the children of men who built this city. Lawrence wants its pride back and balance to everything for everybody. This is just a wake up call to our elected officials,each and every one of them.

Godot is right.

blackwalnut 7 years, 8 months ago

In 2 years Hack and Amyx will likely be replaced. With any luck, Schauner will be willing to run again.

In 2 years, apathetic nonvoters will see what their apathy cost them - and us. Problem is, you cannot roll back sprawl.

Look at the distribution of votes! East of Iowa is truly Lawrence, and they went for the progressives. West Lawrence is a lot of commuters.

Meanwhile, I don't support Amyx's barber shop anymore, because I don't feel he supports the greater good of Lawrence.

classclown 7 years, 8 months ago

This thread reminds me of November. Only the names have changed.

Emily Hadley 7 years, 8 months ago

If you click on each candidate's precinct results in the ljworld election results, you can also much see how that candidate wants the future of Lawrence to look.

Our top two apparently have a vision of an ever-sprawling East Topeka and a big hole where downtown, the East Side, and OWL currently sit.

Michael Capra 7 years, 8 months ago