Archive for Monday, April 2, 2007

Armed robber hits Dollar General, fires shot

April 2, 2007

Police looking for man who robbed dollar store at gunpoint

Sunday night, at the Lawrence Dollar General on 6th Street, police say a man went into the store, fired one shot into the ceiling, then demanded money. Enlarge video

Police are looking for a suspect in connection with an armed robbery at the Dollar General store, 1811 W. Sixth Street, Sunday evening.

Lawrence police Capt. Ray Urbanek said a man - described as white, with a medium build and wearing a gray, hooded sweatshirt - entered the store and demanded money from a store clerk. Urbanek said the man fired a handgun into the air; he was given an unknown quantity of cash from the store's cash register.

The suspect was last seen heading south from the store sometime around 6:30 Sunday evening. About 10 Lawrence police officers were on the scene and removed items from the store in brown paper bags.

Urbanek said two employees and 10 to 15 customers, including children, were in the store at the time the shot was fired. Police were still trying to locate the bullet, which Urbanek said was lodged in the ceiling, Sunday night.

"There's a drop ceiling and another fake ceiling before you get to the tin roof," Urbanek said.

The store was closed Sunday evening, but is expected to be open today. Police will return to the store to attempt to find the bullet.

Anyone with information about the crime is asked to call the CrimeStoppers hot line at 843-TIPS.

Comments

Jace 7 years ago

Okay, maybe next time this guy needs some quick cash he'll rob Wal*Mart on the very day that every welfare recipient in Lawrence gets his or her check!!

That ought to be a big wad of cash, I'm sure!

He'll need bring along some of his buddies!, don't you think, Mom?

introversion 7 years ago

Hey, a motherf*cker's gotta pay rent, right?

gl0ck0wnr 7 years ago

Some of you ought to go to the Dollar Store and purchase a sense of humor.

Linda Endicott 7 years ago

I really don't understand why so many people are ragging on Dollar General as if it was a substandard store or something, and so the crook was especially stupid to rob it.

It's a retail store, with many, many stores in the chain, and they handle money just like every other store. Which makes it vulnerable to robbery, just like any other store.

hawkperchedatriverfront 7 years ago

When you have a community that is full of public housing, transients and is known for it's drug culture, should anyone be surprised. Drugs are cheap in Lawrence and food is free. Try LINK for food and the Do Drop IN for shelter.

BRAIN gone in the city...call corliss about the reward.

bblwchic 7 years ago

he only got about a $100, not much you can do with that and not worth putting all of the customers in harms way for that little amount.

rousseau108 7 years ago

BTW, this is at least the second time this same store has been robbed, so it's not that unbelievable that someone would rob the Dollar General.

Also, why aren't there any stories about the Kwik Shop at 9th and Mississippi getting robbed the night before? Come on LJW, where's the scoop?

mom_of_three 7 years ago

Even if the store doesn't do a bank drop over the weekend, doesn't mean all the money from the weekend sales was in the register.

mom_of_three 7 years ago

to whomever - No, I don't think that store has more money in it's register than at Kohl's. But larger stores who do more business do generally make money drops through out the day. would be very surprised if the small stores didn't do the same thing from time to time.
I also shop the dollar stores, looking for books, school supplies, and I have seen people buy quite a bit of merchandise, but you have to do quite a volume to outdo Kohls and I don't think they do. But the dollar stores and smaller discount stores probably do well for their market.
The choosing of this store may have been more for convenience than the amount of money. Course on a nice day, there could have been a nice business going at that store.

mom_of_three 7 years ago

bblwchic - very glad you or your son wasn't hurt.
he was very stupid to rob that store. and I hope he gets caught.

bblwchic 7 years ago

I was at the robbery and know exactly what happened. I am happy that me and my 5 year old son were not hurt as well as the other people in the store. He was very stupid to do it in daylight and with so many people in the store. I hope they catch him and rots in jail for putting the children that were in the store through the torment. I was up all night with my son because he was scared to go to sleep.

hawkperchedatriverfront 7 years ago

Dollar Store on 6th street is so close to turnpike and easy to rob. Not only that, the friggin cash register is right by the front door and most of the time, the door is left open. Really nice people working there, trying to eek out a living and it is sad for them. That store is in a dying part of Lawrence. 6th street is the equivalent Swope Parkway in KCmo.......

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

IHOVO:

I didn't tell the bad guys anything that they did not already know as evidence by the time of the robbery.

You think that these guys don;t do thier homework before they hit a place?

Besides, the place needs to beef up its security anyway.

Here's one for you!

Did you know that most Office Max stores do not have video surveilliance systems?

How's that for brainpower?

They rely only on the detectors at the doors and believe me, the shoplifters already know this and also know how to get around them.

Thanks.

Marion.

Jace 7 years ago

Mom, I think we're all glad that no one was hurt.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 7 years ago

Well, Marion, now every other robber knows when to rob the place too! I'm sure I can safely say on behalf of Dollar General management, "Thanks for all of the future Sunday evening robberies we will get!"

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

Sure...................................

(1) Yep, just happen to know because I had freind who worked for them who was appalled at the lack of security in those stores.

(2) Cheeseburgers at The Legends enjoying a Cheeseburger In Paradise and some Leinenkugel's.

(3) You have no idea whether or not I have guns, which by the way, for the most part is not a crime.

Further, robbery is not my game.

Far too crude and violent.

HeHee.

Thanks.

Marion.

Further,

acg 7 years ago

You just happened to know when they bank drop Marion? Where were you Sunday evening when the Dollar General was being robbed? We know you have guns, too. Hmm, Marion, care to explain yourself? Hehee.

Crispian Paul 7 years ago

Those places are super-busy on the weekends. That is probably why they chose the store. I went to the Dollar Tree (an actual $1 for everything store) on Saturday and the line was like 20 people long.

Confrontation 7 years ago

I wonder if it's the same person who robbed the Movie Gallery in '05. Doubtful.

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

The "take" was most likely pretty fair in this robbery as Saturday is very busy and I just happen to know that they don't bank drop until Monday, which means there WAS lots of cash on hand.

Stupid.

Smart robber.

Too bad though that there was not a CCW permit holder who could have put about 230 grains of lead in the guy's "A" Zone!

Several times for good measure!

Thanks.

Marion.

kmat 7 years ago

Just because this is a supposed "dollar" store doesn't mean they didn't have a bunch of cash there. I would suspect that more people pay in cash at a store like that because they don't take credit cards and many low income people shop with cash. Probably more cash in those registers than at a convenience store or higher end store (such as Kohls).

And also as someone else pointed out, no security cameras and an easy escapre route on 6th street.

Staci Dark Simpson 7 years ago

Thug! I hope they catch him. I agree public humiliation would be great. How about get a job and make money the old fashioned way.

mom_of_three 7 years ago

Still, very glad no one was injured.

mom_of_three 7 years ago

Well, the other reason may be because there is only one or two registers at the front - less people, (and less money), as opposed to Kohl's or Wal-mart.

What difference does it make what kind of store it was? Well, if you are robbing a store, you want money. So wouldn't you pick a store that had more money in the register than another? Dollar General, besides the prices, is a small store. There's not millions of dollars of merchandise or even high end merchandise to sell and therefore, steal to sell. It's just odd that he picked that store. But the very reasons that make it seem undesirable also may make it desireable.

Just never hear too much of someone robbing a Dollar General or a smaller store. just unusual, that's all.

couranna1 7 years ago

crack is $20 sure they had that

Linda Endicott 7 years ago

It doesn't really matter what they charge for stuff. People will sometimes go to a store, any store, and buy $50 or more of things. Geez...crooks have killed people for $20 or less...so what difference does it make what kind of store it was??

Jace 7 years ago

Well, mom, it was a Sunday night.....all of the area "high end" stores (like jewelry stores) were closed.

So, for the robber guy, Dollar General would have to do.

mom_of_three 7 years ago

I would imagine they would do a fair amount of business, and I know the merchandise in the store can be over $10, as I have shopped those stores from time to time. But generally, the merchandise is lower priced than most stores, so you would think the register would have less money and be less desirable to robbers.
Just very glad no one was hurt.

Althea Schnacke 7 years ago

Just a little FYI, Dollar General and Family Dollar stores aren't dollar stores, and they actually do a fair amount of business (both are Fortune 100 companies)

TtownKUlivin 7 years ago

Umm, first you have to catch the guy and all of you are calling him an idiot and what not. Well let's think about this, I'm not a criminal, but i'm pretty sure Dollar General has a pretty easy recipe of how to rob one of there stores. I'm guessing no cameras inside the building? So the police are looking for a description, white male, gray hoodie and medium built. Hopefully that's not the full detailed description of this man or the police are looking for a needle in a haystack.

Kontum1972 7 years ago

no kwiky mart?

obtw--u cannot chain a bike to a lightpole on Mass only designated chain spots.

so much for the concealed weapons law...! at least the shot was fired in the ceiling and not the clerks face...

booze_buds_03 7 years ago

Last time I checked criminals were not known for being smart, especially and idiot that would rob a dollar store. I think public humiliation plus jail time would be appropriate for this guy. Chain him to a light pole on Mass street with a sign that says, "I am a loser. I had to rob a dollar store because I am so broke I couldnt afford anything in there. Please feel free to kick me or spit on me as you walk by."

Jace 7 years ago

Well, mom, when they capture him.....I'm sure that'll be the very first question that they ask him!

"Why'd you pick that store, robber guy?"

hockmano 7 years ago

The Dollar General is not a "dollar" store. They sell items that are $20, $30, $40 and up.It is scarey that so many people were in the store at the time. I was in that store at about five o'clock or so.

And it is especially scarey since I also work on sixth street. I am going to have to keep my eyes and ears open.

mom_of_three 7 years ago

It must have been terrifying to those people in the store, but I wondering why a robber would pick that store.

LawSW 7 years ago

Hope there's no connection between this guy and the guy who killed the Dollar General clerk in Bonner Springs; if I were an officer I'd be on the phone with Bonner's force.

hawkperchedatriverfront 7 years ago

And the Chamber of Commerce touted the idea that a Casino would bring CRIME to Lawrence....well, after the casino idea was hushed up, a couple was murdered in cold blood on Learned St. and crime after crime and now Dollar General. What say Chamber about this crime and THERE IS NO CASINO..face it...Lawrence is a place between two highways and a becoming a second class city.

One day the "hawk" shopped at that Dollar General and there was woman from Topeka, who worked in Lawrence. She stopped in on her way home and commented that 6th street was dirtier than parts of Topeka. correct she was and still is.

Welcome to Lawrence, city of the LOST BRAIN..call corliss about the reward.

gl0ck0wnr 7 years ago

I'm not a criminal... but I'd think if one was robbing a store, one might want to go to a place that charges more than $1 for goods. Perhaps the $10 store.

dizzy_from_your_spin 7 years ago

"Lawrence police Capt. Ray Urbanek said a man - described as white, with a medium build and wearing a gray, hooded sweatshirt - entered the store and demanded money from a store clerk."

"Ryun said he has been working hard to raise funds, and when a finance report is made public April 15 'it's going to turn some heads.'"

Hmmmmm......?