Archive for Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Woman shot by police had faced bankruptcy

September 27, 2006

A woman shot and killed in a standoff with police Sunday had a bankruptcy case pending and had threatened suicide in the past, according to court records.

Lawrence Police on Tuesday continued an internal investigation into the death of Marsha Lynn Mace, 36, who was shot and killed by a police officer in an armed standoff at the Mobile Village, 110 N. Mich.

Key questions in Mace's death remain unanswered, such as the kind of weapon used to shoot her, the location of the officer who shot her and how many shots total were fired - both by Mace and by police. Police also have not released the name of the officer who fired the shot, pending completion of an investigation that will be done by the department with help from the Kansas Bureau of Investigation.

"We don't have any additional information to release at this time," Sgt. Dan Ward said Tuesday.

Chief Ron Olin said in a Monday morning news conference that Mace had left a note behind and that he believed she was trying to get officers to kill her. Police have said that Mace emerged from trailer No. 107 at 1:23 p.m. holding a revolver and began firing at officers before she was shot and killed.

Mace, who had grown up in Lawrence and was well-known as a cocktail waitress, filed for bankruptcy in October 2005 in federal court. At the time, she wrote that she was working as a certified nurse aide at Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

She had been ordered to appear Oct. 24 in bankruptcy court for a hearing on whether she should be held in contempt for failing to turn over $3,681 in assets.

Friends described Mace as outgoing but occasionally unpredictable.

"Everybody has problems. I wish it didn't have to have happened like that," said Heather Kirchhefer, a friend of Mace's. "She never would have intentionally hurt anybody. She was just having a rough time and having a hard life."

In November 2002, a former boyfriend, Anthony Gauna, filed a protection-from-abuse order against Mace, alleging that after being out partying, she had come home, taken out his shotgun and rifle and threatened to shoot herself.

He alleged that she "threatened me to keep one eye open when I sleep because something could happen to me," according to court records.

She received probation in 1999 after being charged with criminal damage to property of another boyfriend.

- Staff writer George Diepenbrock contributed information to this article.

Comments

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 9 months ago

I have a question...Do we the people of Lawrence really need to or have the right to know that she had money problems? I do not think so, so if the ljw wants to make an issue out of this maybe they should let us know everyone with money problems I bet that there is more than a few ljw workers that have money problems as well.

Confrontation 8 years, 9 months ago

Uh, she never would have intentionally hurt anybody?!! Yeah, that's real obvious.....

whatdoyouthink 8 years, 9 months ago

I can't believe that the Lawrence Journal World would do this. I am so sickened by this. I am so disappointed. Talk about a low blow, a cheap shot. Why on earth do they think they even have th right to print this. If I were in her family I think I would do something about this. I am just lost for words. SHAME ON YOU LJW.

monkeywrench1969 8 years, 9 months ago

Who needs the questions answered about the number of shots and the weapon used... I am goingto make a guess it was most likely a gun since there were gunshots...that is common sense. No bow and arrow, no club, no Star Wars blaster...

Look at your past stories LJW and Channel 6 interviewed witnesses that saw the cops before they shot. Why not link the interview with the woman on 6 who said she saw the officers and "they gave her plenty of chances." Or would that reduce the controversy.

stoptheBS 8 years, 9 months ago

I don't understand why ljw is talking about her bankruptcy, they shouldn't have gone into detail, enough was said with the mention of a note talking about her emotional, financial, and health problems. enough was said there!

thisiknow 8 years, 9 months ago

Now we know way to much! Now do you have any more questions?

Becca 8 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, I agree, this is taking it way too far. It's nobody's business what happened in her personal life.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 9 months ago

I don't think it's anybody's business what her finances were, but it might be easier to understand her frame of mind at the time.

However, the fact that she had threatened to kill one former bf and had criminal damage charges by another makes me wonder about her. If she threatened and/or hurt people in the past, what made you think she couldn't be capable of it again?

msunderstood 8 years, 9 months ago

Lets quit airing out Marsha's dirty laundry, and let the poor soul rest in peace.

stoptheBS 8 years, 9 months ago

Please just let her rest! I think SHE made that obvious enough that that was what she wanted!

MISSYSUE 8 years, 9 months ago

It's really sad that all of this info has had to come out. I've known Marsha for several years now (she is not a close friend, but a friend) and the only things that I knew of her is that she was a blast to be around and the type of person that would do anything for you. I have children that adored her. I understand that because of the nature of the way she was killed, some things are bound to come out. I just hope that the people that knew her will choose to remember the good things and not the bad that has come out. Everyone has skeletons in their closet and it is a shame that hers are being laid out for the world to see.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 9 months ago

The LJW is really over the line on this one, I am sure the police that shot her , or the paramedics and docters really do not care about he money problems and it really was no ones business as we have all said on here so LJW wake up and realize not all things need to be printed in the paper and sometimes you should just leave things private.

whatdoyouthink 8 years, 9 months ago

I hope this is the last story her family needs to live through. I mean come on find news elsewhere. How are loved ones supposed to heal, when the newpaper keeps diggin deeper and deeper? This was done in such bad taste. I just can't believe this. They have gone way too far on this one.

ForThePeople 8 years, 9 months ago

Shame on you Journal World, for even going here! This is tabloid journalism at best...and as many others have said, more information than the general public needed!

bunnyhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

the real issue is that TWO people in this dinky county have committed suicide in the past week because of financial troubles............the cops were just trying to do their jobs! let's rein in the bankers and the credit card companies who encourage working Americans to get themselves into debt up to their eyelashes!!! I get at least one item in the mail EVERY single day promising me nirvana with very low interest rates.............they're freaking vultures!!!!!

bambam 8 years, 9 months ago

To her family I am truly sorry of your loss time and prayers will help ease the pain and in time the good memories will take the place of all the pain and heart break.

To all of you that post here lets turn this into a sampathy and memories place to much business being talked about here and in the paper. We cant control what the paper prints but we can control what we say.

geekin_topekan 8 years, 9 months ago

Well,I do applaud ljworld for not feeling the need to print the location of the victims genitals as they did with Jeannie Newmoon a couple of weeks ago. Hurray Ljworld!!

a2thek 8 years, 9 months ago

yeah I have to agree that the LJW is going to print as much stuff as possible but all the other garble could have stayed out of the paper. Hell, Bankrupcy doesnt mean anything, half the world files bankrupcy. Big deal. I actually knew this person and she was a decent person to be around and never threatened me or talked about her financial woes or anything else. Of course I wasnt her boyfriend but rather just grew up with her. Before we judge her to much i do know she got her little boy in the Crown Casting Club and attended that every year with him and she loved him very much.

To her family and son: my heart goes out to you. To the cop that shot her: Good going you just killed somebody, I hope you go to church sunday or go find God somewhere and get some peace with yourself. I know it must be a tough job and I would hate to do it. Knowbody wins in this.

kujeeper 8 years, 9 months ago

Marion really can ramble about nothing for a long time...

Halloweenie 8 years, 9 months ago

a2thek..

"good going you just killed somebody...."??

WTF?

Halloweenie 8 years, 9 months ago

k d s a a a a a a V v v

v v v v v v

v v

v v v

v v vv v

vv

s s s s s s s ss s

s ss s s

s a a

a a ;;s;s; s s s ss ss s s a a

a

a a a a a a e e e e

e e e ee

e

e e

e e e e e e e e e e e e e

ee e q q q q q q q qq qq

qq q