Archive for Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Skateboard rules

Keeping skateboarders off sidewalks at Kansas University is a sound policy.

September 26, 2006

Kansas University officials are right: Pedestrians and wheeled conveyances like skates and skateboards just don't mix.

Some student skateboard enthusiasts say they will ask the Lawrence City Commission to change the ordinance that prohibits skateboarding within 1,000 feet of Jayhawk Boulevard. The students say they don't want to do tricks or hotdog maneuvers; they just want to ride their skateboards to class.

While that may be convenient for the skateboarders, it poses a hazard for pedestrians on the heavily traveled KU sidewalks. Between scheduled class times, there is hardly enough room for the people walking on sidewalks without the addition of skateboards weaving through the pedestrian traffic.

Skateboards may be a fun, even practical, means of travel in some areas, but the KU campus and downtown Lawrence aren't among those areas. The city's Traffic Safety Commission can hear the students out, but it is hard to imagine an adequate argument in favor of changing the current policy.

Comments

not_dolph 8 years, 3 months ago

Sorry, Casey...looks like you will have to walk... or ride your magic carpet.

gphawk89 8 years, 3 months ago

My roommate rode a skateboard to class almost every day back in the late 80's. Much faster than walking and he never ran into anyone. Heck, I used to ride one now and then (and when I say ride, I mean propelling myself smoothly forward to get from one place to another rather than flipping the board up into the air and falling off every few seconds). Too bad the actions of a few ruined it for everyone. I wonder if inline skates will be the next thing to be banned everywhere...

Nick Yoho 8 years, 3 months ago

Who wrote this?Why are so many opinion pieces UNSIGNed,yet to get a LETTER published,you must sign it,wtf?SkAtEr KiDs RuLe. Screw all the Haters.Would the author rather they drove their HUMMers to class?This IS a progressive city isn't it?get a grip.

not_dolph 8 years, 3 months ago

Clearly you don't understand the concept of an editorial...The editorial staff at the Lawrence Journal World printed this editorial on Tuesday, September 26, 2006. Anyone (meaning you or me) can post a comment to any story or editorial on the LJ World website. You do not have to sign your name, but you do have to be registered with the LJ World website.

Hopefully this clears it up for you. Class over.

case 8 years, 3 months ago

if magic carpets were a real thing, you bet your ass i'd ride it everywhere i went. skateboards have more wheels than a bike, if you know how to ride one, you're just as safe as you would be if you were cycling. I'm actually more out of control when I'm riding a bike than when I'm riding a skateboard. why don't you just give me a call to make you're ignorant comments? or sign your name so I can call you?

not_dolph 8 years, 3 months ago

case - you need to watch your language - I am not sure your parents would approve...

case 8 years, 2 months ago

I can watch my language from up here on this magic carpet!!! thanks for the advice!!! who needs a skateboard?!! and, leave my parents out of this. obviously it's your 'go to' move, but you seem like a 'smart' person, maybe you could make an unpersonal approach to this subject. grow up and learn to skate or something, you have too much time on your hands.