Archive for Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Sheriff says man wanted on warrant shoots himself

September 26, 2006

A 40-year-old Baldwin man apparently shot and killed himself late Monday night while Douglas County sheriff's deputies were trying to serve an arrest warrant on him for forged checks, Sheriff Ken McGovern said this afternoon.

He identified the man as Leonard Ray Collins, of 315 Fourth St. in Baldwin. Two sheriff's deputies and a supervisor went to the home shortly after 11 p.m. to help the Baldwin Police Department serve the warrant on him. When they arrived, McGovern said, they saw a man outside the home and recognized him from photographs as Collins.

McGovern said that Collins went into the home, and deputies pursued. At the door, they met Collins' wife and two children, who were removed from the home.

During a search of the home, two deputies encountered a locked bathroom door. They knocked on the door and a male voice inside said "Hold on a sec," immediately before a single gunshot sounded. The deputies then forced open the door and found Collins alone with what appeared to be a single gunshot wound to the head, according to the sheriff's office.

They found a semi-automatic handgun in the room, McGovern said.

The shooting happened less than 48 hours after Lawrence Police shot and killed a suicidal woman who police say had fired at them during a standoff at Mobile Village trailer park, 110 N. Michigan St.

Collins hadn't lived in the area long and had a five-count felony warrant from Pottawatomie County, Okla., McGovern said.

McGovern said that as a precaution, the deputies involved have been placed on paid administrative leave because of their proximity to the shooting.

Comments

duh 8 years, 9 months ago

man, the news around here sure has been depressing lately.

Soapdish 8 years, 9 months ago

srj- It does seem a little odd but that may have been a time he got off of work or something and thew KNEW he would be home. I'm proably wrong on that but best explanation I can come up with past a typo.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 9 months ago

warrents are served at anytime day or night could have been 3am if it worked out that way.

geekin_topekan 8 years, 9 months ago

I'm guessing that forged checks alone won't send a person to "the big house"...........

I would have to beg to differ.This society values money way more than human life. He would have gotten more time than say...a guy that beats his girlfriend to death with a two by four.

monkeywrench1969 8 years, 9 months ago

WHere's Smitty on this one...oh yeah out stalking Olin and his "jackbooted thugs"

Ceallach 8 years, 9 months ago

My sympathy to his wife and children. my_black_lab is probably right . . . why die for forged checks?

The last couple of weeks have been crazy around here. The fires (3 over one weekend, if I remember correctly) and now 2 violent deaths.

Steve Jacob 8 years, 9 months ago

I am just guessing more men are more normal (i.e. not drunk) at say 11AM then 11pm. But it did say 3 cops, so maybe more to this.

Baldwin already had a murder this year too.

linus 8 years, 9 months ago

You people amaze me. You can joke about anything. There were children present...HIS children...DID YOU READ THAT PART??? Do you even CARE? These children's lives will be forever changed...and NOT in a positive manner. And your responses are to Joke, wonder what the real story is, etc. Maybe, just maybe, you could post thoughts and prayers to the wife and children of this man instead of joking about this tragic event in their lives.

linus 8 years, 9 months ago

This happened last night. There is not a typo in the story.

srj: I suppose the murder in Baldwin is the Police's fault? Or are you stating that Lawrence & Baldwin are going to hell in a hurry? Isn't development great?!?!?!

compmd 8 years, 9 months ago

Posted by macon47 (anonymous) on September 26, 2006 at 6:10 p.m. (Suggest removal)

MORE CSI EXPERTS DO YOU ALL HAVE FINE ARTS DEGREES FROM KU AND NO JOB?

Macon, we do not often think alike, but in this case, I have to admit that I wonder the same thing. Although this might have been better suited for the board on the other shooting.

Becca 8 years, 9 months ago

Isn't it funny that people hide behind their keyboards and say things that they wouldn't say to someone to their face? Kinda makes you wonder.

Becca 8 years, 9 months ago

Oh, well, I was doing it from work earlier, and I'm just as guilty as anybody else. I was just making a general observation.

Becca 8 years, 9 months ago

Depends on what the argument is about.

Becca 8 years, 9 months ago

And, Marion, if you read further, I also said I was guilty of it too. So go ahead and point fingers. But just remember, there's four more pointing back at you.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 9 months ago

the poor wife and kids, I am glad they where no longer in the house when he did this but still..... Nothing one can say but sorry for your loss.

TheEleventhStephanie 8 years, 9 months ago

Anybody going to start blaming these cops too, just for being nearby?

Steve Jacob 8 years, 9 months ago

11 PM is an odd time to be serving a warrent isn't it?

TheEleventhStephanie 8 years, 9 months ago

With every cop in county on paid administrative leave, we'll need more armchair officers to prevent mayhem and lawlessness.

ladysilk 8 years, 9 months ago

At the rate we are going we will have the entire force on leave before the end of the month. Maybe that is plan...maybe this is a conspiracy to get all of the cops off the streets so terrorists can take over...

chief1994 8 years, 9 months ago

As a retired police officer I continue to watch and read about crime, suicide, police shootings etc, though I am not a part of law enforcement anymore. I have seen suicides happen right in front of me either by self inflicting wounds or pointing a gun at officers. I know how it made me feel. I can only try to imagine how it affects a husband, wife, children, and other family members. Regarding the Mobile Village shooting, the police officer who made that split second decision to shoot will be affected for a long time. Even though his /her action was justified. Who is anyone to judge except that officer involved? Now, to the incident in Baldwin, there are those who automatically blame the Law Enforcement officers. We, (me & you), the public, don't know the circumstances in this mans life. He made his decision, not the officers. And yes, his children and wife and the officers will be affected for a long time. I know we all have opinions, but I think the jokes are uncalled for. Please show some respect. To the families associated in these two incidents, my prayers go out to you. May God bless you and help you through these difficult times.

Becca 8 years, 9 months ago

Marion, they havent called me yet to verify my identity. Im not hiding behind anything, I'm just waiting for the paper to call. So you can calm down now.