Archive for Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Ailing Chiefs QB thankful

Out again this week, Green acknowledges support

September 26, 2006


— Quarterback Trent Green, still recovering from a severe concussion, thanked fans Monday for thousands of expressions of support from around the world.

A Kansas City Chiefs spokesman said Green had been so moved by the many people who reached out to him he asked permission to post his thank-you on the team's Web site.

About 3,000 e-mails from all 50 states and such foreign points as Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Ireland and the Cayman Islands have been received.

"Dear Chiefs Fans," the note begins.

"I just wanted to express my sincere gratitude to the many fans and individuals from around the country and across the world who sent a card, letter or e-mail to wish me a speedy recovery after I was injured on September 10th.

"Your outpouring of support has been truly overwhelming. On behalf of my entire family, we sincerely appreciated your prayers and the words of encouragement you expressed. It was truly a humbling experience to realize how concerned so many of you were.

"Again, I just wanted to say 'thank you' to all of you who took the time to write in and express your kind sentiments.

"Sincerely, Trent Green."

How long Green will be sidelined remains unknown. Coach Herm Edwards said Monday Green would miss a second straight start Sunday when the Chiefs entertain the San Francisco 49ers.

A two-time Pro Bowler, Green was going into a feet-first hook slide when he was knocked unconscious by a thunderous, head-snapping hit from Cincinnati's Robert Geathers. Geathers was not penalized, and Green's teammates, many after viewing replays, agreed that it had not been a cheap shot.

But the popular quarterback, who passed for more yards from 2001-2005 than anyone except Peyton Manning, lay motionless on the turf for about 10 minutes. Fans in the sold-out stadium held their collective breath while he was strapped to a gurney and hurried to a hospital, where doctors said he suffered a very severe concussion.

He's still undergoing medical tests.

Pete Moris, the Chiefs' associate director of public relations, said he bundled up a big stack of the e-mails and gave them to Green.

"He and his wife, Julie, were both just overwhelmed," Moris said.

Green might visit the team again this week.

"He's doing better," said his friend and teammate Kendall Gammon, who drove him to the stadium Saturday for a visit.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.