Archive for Wednesday, September 20, 2006

State Senator O’Connor stepping down

September 20, 2006

One of the most conservative legislators in Kansas, state Sen. Kay O'Connor, announced she will be resigning this fall.

O'Connor said after 14 years as a House member and senator fighting "the conservative, pro-life cause" it was time for someone else to take up the battle.

"I have taken many bullets -- from the media, from my opponents, and sadly, even from some of my friends," O'Connor said, adding that she plans on teaching grammar and Latin at Padre Pio Academy, a Catholic school in Shawnee.

In 2001, O'Connor received national attention after saying the 19th Amendment, which gave women the right to vote in 1920, was a sign that men weren't taking care of women well enough.

In 2005 and this year she worked against a bill that assured the right to women to breast-feed in public. The measure was eventually approved.

In a letter to supporters, O'Connor asked for donations to help pay off her campaign debt. She lost a bid in August to challenge Secretary of State Ron Thornburgh in the Republican Party primary.

Comments

not_dolph 7 years, 7 months ago

Perhaps O'connor should make an open records request to find out what kind of bullets the media were firing...

holygrailale 7 years, 7 months ago

The only person saving Kay O'Connor from being considered the most "eccentric" personality in Kansas is Fred Phelps.

Don't let the door hit you in the........

Mike Blur 7 years, 7 months ago

right_thinker, I am a far-left intellectual who lives way outside Lawrence - in fact, there are at least 5 anti-abortion road signs within 10 miles of my residence - and it ain't pretty out here. But - it's getting better. Many mod pubs are realizing the the extent of the havoc that the looney right (a TRUE minority) are wreaking on Kansas - and hopefully, the mods are beginning to realize that they are more centrist than the right-wing loonies that populate state government now.

Sheet, my hometown newspaper was one of the few Kansas newspapers to endorse John Kerry in 2004 - (something that not even that commie lib'ral rag J-W did) and moderate sentiment "out here" is gaining steam.

Only thing is, there are so few people out here, we might not make a difference when put up against the numerous, frightening far-right fringers of suburban JoCo.

sybil 7 years, 7 months ago

You should never speak ill of the downtrodden, she is stepping down. Good!

KS 7 years, 7 months ago

I see some people out there are showing their intelligence. Ouch! I can feel the daggers from here! Sharp words. Can't say anything nice?

ASBESTOS 7 years, 7 months ago

As a Republican I am glad to see this looser go.

fletch 7 years, 7 months ago

Why don't you have your man pay off your debts. Go bake me some cookies.

Tom Shewmon 7 years, 7 months ago

You far-left intellectuals need to leave Lawrence once in awhile.

yourworstnightmare 7 years, 7 months ago

""I have taken many bullets -- from the media, from my opponents, and sadly, even from some of my friends," "

And many self-inflicted.

yourworstnightmare 7 years, 7 months ago

She blamed her defeat on all of the illegal Mexicans in Kansas who voted for Thornburgh. She lost by what, 20%? So, tens of thousands of illegals in Kansas voted for Thornburgh and swung the election. Ha!

Kansans made a resounding decision about her, she knows it, and she is packing up shop, taking her marbles and going home.

One only hopes that this is a sign that the days of the right-wing liberal fundamentalist socialists in the GOP are numbered.

macon47 7 years, 7 months ago

hasta la taco she is WORSE
than most of our crooked elected officals. SHE IS JUST A STUPID WOMAN

Steve Jacob 7 years, 7 months ago

Any why in the heck did she run against Ron Thornburgh? My guess he'll be governor in 2010.

Porter 7 years, 7 months ago

Let's not forget Sen. O'Connor's complaint that the increase in school finance this year was all about greed. "What kind of example does this show to the children?" she pondered.

I shed no tears for her retirement. This is a great day for my future children!!

DonnieDarko 7 years, 7 months ago

Oops, my apologies. It's "Kay", not "Kate". I wouldn't want to defame the poor gal. :-)

DonnieDarko 7 years, 7 months ago

Awww, Kate, how tragic. You know, if your husband had been "taking care" of you better, he would have taken those "bullets" for you!

Good riddance to bad-backwater-religious-zealot-rubbish. I can't get too excited though, since Olathe is more than likely to elect some equally-offensive nutcase to take her place.