Archive for Monday, September 18, 2006

Final 3 bodies recovered, identified at fire site

Final death toll officially at five

September 18, 2006, 1:55 p.m. Updated September 18, 2006, 2:44 p.m.

DaVonte Brockman

DaVonte Brockman

Nolan Vender

Nolan Vender

The death toll of a Sunday morning fire at 1205 N.J. has officially grown to five.

Mark Bradford, chief of the Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical, announced this afternoon that fire fighters had recovered the bodies of three young boys. Found in the rubble were: Nolan Vender, 13; DaVonte Brockman, 11, and Mario Johnson, 2. Firefighters previously had identified two victims: Charles Glover Sr., 66, and Mariyana Johnson, 13 months.

Bradford said the cause of the fire was still under investigation, but crews have completed their search for victims. Bradford said there are no more individuals who were in the home that are unaccounted for.

As the worst fears were confirmed, relatives of the victims began to share to stories of their loved ones' lives.

Charles Glover's younger brother, William, said the two moved to Lawrence from Mississippi in the early 1960s after their father, a sharecropper, lost his farm.

"We started all over as a family," he said.

He said Charles had his wild times but changed his life in the early 1990s. He stopped drinking, stopped going out in the streets, and started attending church.

"He's a great man. He did all he could do for his kids. He lived a good life, changed his life around."

Glover had been part of the Kansas University maintenance staff since 1985, the university said in a press release.

"With care and diligence Charles Glover brought beauty to the grounds of Mount Oread and the Outlook for more than two decades. He had an extraordinary talent for making things grow," Chancellor Robert Hemenway said. "Leah and I had almost daily conversations with Charles. I know that he also was a great and caring person, a very proud and devoted grandfather. Our hearts are filled with sorrow over this terrible tragedy."

6News will have the latest details at 6 p.m.

Comments

jchudson 7 years, 7 months ago

We thank you all for the incredible support that everyone has expressed for our family, and to the Lawrence Journal-World for the keeping the nation informed of our tragedy. Please continue to keep our family in your prayers, and God Bless you all!!

Grammaton 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm with Sigmund. I can't help but feel incredibly saddened. My thoughts are with them, and everyone else who shares their grief.

massager 7 years, 7 months ago

I really feel deep emotion for this family, I knew this family as well as the extended family. Diana and Charles Jr I have known a long time, I pray God comforts you with lots of peace during your time of sorrow. I know how it feels to lose one but yours is five times over. Please know your in my thoughts and Prayers. One of the Elston's

Sigmund 7 years, 7 months ago

I did not know this family, but my heart is breaking.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 7 months ago

I am so, so sorry for the losses of this family. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

klauxman 7 years, 7 months ago

There are no words. Our deepest condolences. Sincerely, Keri and Austin Lauxman.

Bone777 7 years, 7 months ago

Working smoke detectors, would definitely make a difference. This is a terrible, terrible situation.

They won't stop the fire, but they will wake you up before the smoke incapacitates you.

Anyone who has been in a fire, knows that once the smoke gets to the floor your chances or seeing or breathing are gone, unless you are in a SCBA.

seve 7 years, 7 months ago

may God bless this family in their time of sorrow. I will keep you in my prayers. My heart goes out to you. STEVE BROWN

YourItalianPrincess 7 years, 7 months ago

May God Bless this family and hold them tightly in his arms.

cellogrl 7 years, 7 months ago

My heart goes out to the family as they attempt to deal with this tragedy.

nekansan 7 years, 7 months ago

Please, everyone make sure you have working smoke alarms in your home. Don't know if that might have saved lives here, but it could not have hurt.

sybil 7 years, 7 months ago

May the Mothers find strength to get through this horrible loss.