Archive for Thursday, September 7, 2006

Guess what, parents: Babies charged adult prices at games

Policy criticized as ‘a grab for money’

September 7, 2006

It used to be you could hardly give away Kansas University football tickets. But they aren't free anymore - even for babies.

That's a fact the young Foust family of Lawrence learned the hard way.

Owen and Lisa Foust bundled up their 3-month-old baby, Kate, on Saturday and headed to the Jayhawks' season opener. When they presented two tickets at the gate, they were told Kate, who was strapped to her father's chest, needed a ticket, too.

To get into the game, they had to get out of line and buy another $35 ticket.

"I just thought it was pretty tacky," Owen Foust said. "It's just a grab for money."

Babies may fly on some airplanes or attend a Kansas City Chiefs game for no cost, but Memorial Stadium's gates no longer swing freely for KU's tiniest football fans.

Lisa and Owen Foust were surprised at Saturday's Kansas University football game when they were required to fork over $35 for a ticket for their 3-month-old daughter, Kate. The Fousts, pictured on Wednesday at Memorial Stadium, think the price is an unfair admission fee for an infant.

"Everybody needs a ticket regardless of age," KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said. "The very small children come with backpacks and bottles and toys. ... We've received numerous complaints over the years from people who are sitting next to those people - enough for us to know that even those sized children need the space."

Marchiony said KU started enforcing the babies-pay policy three or four years ago, though he couldn't recall the precise date. He said the move was spurred by complaints from fans that children were invading the space of paying customers. And he said the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has recommended that organizations require tickets for large events as a way to keep track of numbers.

"We're not against paying something," Lisa Foust said. "We were surprised that it had to be a full-priced ticket."

Video

It has long been a written policy at KU that every person needs a ticket to football games, regardless of age. That policy was rarely enforced until about three or four years ago when attendance increased and the athletics department received complaints about small children at the games. Associate Athletics Director, Jim Marchiony talks about that policy. Enlarge video

The Fousts, both KU alumni, had the money to pay for Kate's ticket, but maybe other Lawrence families aren't so fortunate, Owen Foust said.

"This is supposed to be a family-friendly environment," he said. "I don't think that policy promotes that (environment) much."

Sports teams have varying policies regarding pint-sized fans.

The Kansas City Chiefs waive the admittance price for children under 3.

"It's a question of the actual seat," Chiefs Public Relations Director Bob Moore said. "If there's no one sitting in the seat, then there's no reason to sell the seat."

Moore said he believed the Chiefs' policy was likely in line with other professional football team rules.

At the University of Missouri-Columbia, kids under age 2 can watch Coach Gary Pinkel and the Tigers for free. Kansas State University has the same policy, permitting children under age 2 for free. And Iowa State University also allows babies age 1 or younger at no cost into football games.

"We just felt like a 1-year-old doesn't take up that much room," said Matt Johnson, director of ticket operations at Iowa State. "We get calls all the time saying: 'Thanks for not making our 2-month-old pay.'"

But wee Husker fans don't get special treatment.

"Our stadium is sold out on a season-ticket basis with a long waiting list," said Keith Mann, media relations director at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. "Everyone has to have a ticket."

Ditto for Oklahoma State University, the University of Oklahoma, and the University of Texas-Austin.

Reader poll
Should babies have to have their own seat and ticket to get into a KU football game?

or See the results without voting

Making exceptions for babies "leads to too much decision-making at the gate," said Kenny Mossman, athletic department spokesman for the University of Oklahoma.

UT women's athletic director Christine Plonsky said even though babies don't take a seat, they're still taking up space in a crowded stadium, and safety is an issue.

"The ruler here of stadium and game management is our fire marshal," she said.

Marchiony said families can take advantage of KU's family plan season ticket package, which costs $300 for two adults and two students.

The Fousts said they will return to games, but whether Kate stays home with a baby-sitter or the family opts to watch from the hill or whether they pay for Kate's ticket will be decided on a game-by-game basis.

"Kate will probably go to some games," Owen Foust said. "And we certainly want Kate to be a KU graduate someday."

Comments

fletch 8 years ago

Well, you see, two teams compete against each other in a physical competition using a combination of strategy and improvisation to outplay the opposing team within the agreed upon guidelines and rules.

You're welcome.

Linda Endicott 8 years ago

While they may think it's necessary for everyone to have a ticket, regardless of age, there's no earthly reason they have to charge full price for a ticket for an infant. A lot of places, such as theaters, have free or reduced rates depending on age. They still sell a ticket, but it's not all the same price.

Charging a baby full price just seems tacky and greedy to me.

Richard Heckler 8 years ago

Apparently it has become a matter of Homeland Security like the wide open borders of the USA. Or is it to pay for those new suites at the top of the stadium?

$35.00 a seat is for what families?

garrenfamily 8 years ago

The story is all about the complaints that led to charging for infants/toddlers. Come on...really? I guess it is all about who shouts louder. We should have let them know how much we appreciated not having to pay for our child who did not take up a seat. Or maybe, we should complain a little louder about having to pay for that seat now.

bankboy119 8 years ago

Why would they have started charging 3 or 4 years ago? The stadium was never 1/2 full so I don't see how anybody could have been in the way. Just another stupid policy because KU thinks it's better than everybody else.

lunacydetector 8 years ago

it is Bush's fault they have to charge infants for a full price ticket? gimme a break.

oh well, i hope the parents remember this when these little kids get old enough to attend KU. KU is only hurting their future potential customers. a pretty cocky attitude displayed by KU.

KS 8 years ago

It's arrogance and greed at its best. Book smart and street dumb. Families will stay home. Establish the program to encourage kids of all ages to come. Future students, you know. But, then again, those little ones don't have a corporte connection at that age and can't vote.

wysiwyg69 8 years ago

they should also charge fat people extra and skinny people less

KS 8 years ago

Right on, wysiwyg69!

davisnin 8 years ago

No way! Babies don't take up any space. Except when their parents sit them down, and all those diaper bags and baby crap (which are great places to hide outside food and drink). Well, I guess you can't crowd people with a kid like you could adults. And you feel more apt to keep a lid on the volume and watch your language. No Way! Babies don't affect anyone. They're like vapor. Plus a loud stadium has to be the best place for developing ears.

crono 8 years ago

a) $35 a ticket is hardly a "family" price, IMO. b) Charging babies??? Pure insanity.

Shardwurm 8 years ago

It's a penalty to the parents for exposing the children to KU football.

cowboy 8 years ago

yeah a bit greedy isnt it , but three hours of noise for a newborn , geez , leave the kid with grandma and go enjoy the game whiners !

countrygirl 8 years ago

How many big time college football programs charge full price for a child? I think many of you would be surprised to learn that everyone who takes up a seat pays the same price. While an infant may not take up a seat, I remember all the stuff I lugged around when my son was little. The extra baggage means you need extra rooom. How much is a 3 month old going to get out of a game anyway? They're going to sleep through at least half of it. Sounds like getting a sitter would be a much better way to go.

jayheel 8 years ago

This isn't news let alone a headline. We found out four years ago and haven't paid for tickets since. Until they build a taller wall on the hill to block the view, we will be cheap squatters on lawn chairs.

$35 per person is pretty steep, especially for a family of four to see a team that hasn't really proven worthy yet. Bring in top flight opponents instead of teams like Northsouthern University and Florida Atlantic International Institute College in order to earn that $140 per family.

And that point reminds me of another problem I have with KU Football...show some games on TV every once and a while. There is no reason why all Big XII games should not be televised. We are not in the Gateway League.

KU does have a sweet family season ticket package for $300.

oldgoof 8 years ago

fletch: good one.. hahahha

wagg 8 years ago

The choice of taking a child is up to the parents. It's none of our business why they do it. (Sounds like a few of you have some baby-hating issues) The whole argument here is whether a child should be charged full price. This policy is obviously very wrong and should be changed. Breeders shouldn't have to pay a surcharge.

narky 8 years ago

I have an idea! Just don't go.

jvsquirt 8 years ago

You know what, I pay good money for my season tickets, and I'd be really annoyed to have to sit next to a baby and all the stuff that goes along with it. I'd feel guilty about yelling and cursing. Besides, I wouldn't think parents would want to expose their children to that kind of yelling. And wouldn't the parents have more fun anyway not having to worry about the baby? If they want to bring the kids, pull out a blanket and sit on the hill and watch the game. That rule is fine by me, I'd rather fill Memorial Stadium with yelling, screaming fans than with baby carriers.

imagold 8 years ago

They need a couple more options for the poll question. 1) Yes, but it should be a reduced priced ticket. 2) No, babies should stay home with a baby sitter.

I would never have taken my babies to a sporting event, paid ticket or not, in a stadium environment. The babies don't get a thing out of it and I would have had to spend my time rocking, feeding, burping, changing, quieting the little bundle of joy, which would have meant I wouldn't get a thing out of the game either. So there goes $70.00. Now if it were a football field where I could push a stroller and move the tyke around to entertain him/her and still be able to watch the game, yes, I'd take them to a game and pay the ticket price.

theDudeAbides 8 years ago

Learned this one the hard way last year.

My four month old required a ticket, so guess what? We watched from the hill. Instead of KU getting $70 for my wife and I, they got $0. I refuse to pay $35 even now that my son is 16 months. He takes up little space, and sits on either myself or my wife's lap the majority of the time.

Went to a cheifs game 2 weeks ago, and their policy is 3 and under do not require a ticket.

-Lew should look at the thousands of unsold tickets at each game, then glance at the hill. The majority of people sitting there have small children. Drop that rediculous price for infants, and you may fill that stadium on game days....

BDub 8 years ago

This is a mistake on KU's part. It will keep more people away than it brings in. You think the whiners who complained about babies will now be running to the box office to get more tickets? That's a laugh. "Wow, we can finally enjoy the games without all those babies around!"

Can't find a babysitter? Can't go to the game. That's what it will come down to. Foresee it being a constant problem all season? Forget about buying season tickets.

No way in hell I'm paying $35 for a seat for a kid that can't even sit up yet. Point is, KU is charging parents for a seat that they can't use. The argument that they need more space doesn't even matter - season ticket holders who bring babies are just going to buy the cheapest seat in the house for their baby and go sit in their reserved seats anyway, leaving an empty seat in the end zone and taking up the same amount of space they would have anyway.

Don't even start with that Homeland Security BS, that's flat-out ridiculous. And if that were really the case, they wouldn't need to charge adult prices, would they? A ridiculous argument all the way around.

This is ONLY about money. I'm sure KU doesn't care, but as a longtime season ticket holder, Williams Fund donor, lifetime member of the Alumni Association, and PARENT - this really irks me.

craigers 8 years ago

Wow, Jim seems pretty irritated by the interview. Under a year, they shouldn't be paid for. Once they are over a year old, the chances that they are walking and won't be held for the game diminishes so they should pay but not full price.

And yes really big people should pay for two tickets as well. This is pretty crazy.

ModerateOne 8 years ago

Time to call bull on the athletic department. The statement that they've received "numerous complaints" about babies taking up space is just not credible.

Kind of like the statement that they had received "numerous complaints" about ticket scalpers asking to buy or sell tickets outside Allen Fieldhouse.

The LJW should do an open records request of KU Athletics to see how well the department can document these numerous complaints.

erotomania 8 years ago

Leave the kids a home. They are in the way and annoying!

compmd 8 years ago

"It is absolutely imperative that we charge full price for babies because we need the tickets to keep track of where they are because...they...could pose a...threat to security....and uh, KU football is top tier...and...we have to stop evildoers...its for their protection...uh, pay me for your baby or I'm feeding him to Mark Mangino!" -Jim Marchiony

I swear I heard him say this at a press conference.

Godot 8 years ago

I can't believe they are using the "Homeland Security" excuse. If that is the real reason they are charging infants full price, then it is probably the only compliant act in Lawrence. This is the city that opted out of the Patriot Act and that used its Homeland Security grant to buy a big screen TV! But they have to charge babies full price at football games because Homeland Security said so???

andisue 8 years ago

I went to the game with my parents this weekend, and we commented on the fact that there were so many babies at the game. I love babies, but why in the world would you bring one to the game? What is the purpose? They can't enjoy the game. I would wait until they're a little older so they can appreciate going, whether it is to see Big and Baby Jay or to watch the game or whatever. If parents can afford to go the game, they can afford to get a babysitter as well!

bjamnjm 8 years ago

In recent years, KU football season ticket sales have averaged ~ 12,000-18,000 in a stadium that holds 50,000 (ever wondered why the stadium is 1/2-2/3 full with Nebraska fans?). There are plenty of places to sit in the stadium so it's silly that somebody was upset b/c they had to sit to close to a, heaven forbid, baby. Obviously, this policy is about bleeding dry the few committed fans loyal enough to go to the games as opposed to finding a way to entice more fans into the stadium. In the real world this is called, "an inability to think outside the box". Paying $35 for a ticket to KU football entitles said ticket holder to act however they want whether it be cursing and screaming or holding a baby. There's nothing wrong with bringing a baby to the game but it's utterly disgusting to pay full price for the baby's ticket. Sports are entertainment, I wish they were covered in the entertainment section of the paper right under the latest on Brad and Angie or Tom and Kate. The latest on Homer's antics would be a headliner, but this!?

Linda Endicott 8 years ago

Requring a ticket for infants and small children at sporting events so that they have a record of how many individuals are actually there is one thing (though it sounds like a pretty flimsy excuse to me), but charging full price for it is another.

I can't think of any reason they would charge full price except greed.

hawkbygod 8 years ago

Good thing the old ljworld was on top of this story. This has always been ku's policy. If you don't like it, sit on the hill. Its free and you can still see 80% of the game. Get over it.

BDub 8 years ago

ANTI-family. That's what this is. Marchiony's video above shows how little they care about families.

Bobbi Reid 8 years ago

Why should you have to leave your baby at home? To say that kids should not go to sporting events is stupid. my daughters love going to games, and other events such as the derby, tractor pulls whatever. Why should I pay a sitter, just so the person beside me can be happy. I would rather stay at home, than leave my kids with someone else while I am out having fun... And my kids have been going to all of the above mentioned activities, since they were a month old.

outermarker 8 years ago

A Couple of Thoughts

1 Placing the argument pro or con for bringing babies to a game aside I think there are a couple of clear issues present.

KU Athletics is trying their best to discourage anyone from bringing an infant to their games. I really don't think its the money. How many infants commonly attend. 100/200 Small change in comparison to the overall financial bottom line. KU Athletics is full square opposed to babies in the stadiums.

Part 2 Why not limit carry on (to quote airline jargon) to one small diaper bag. There is no reason to drag a Toys R US outlet to the game.

Why not not issue a free infant ticket at the ticket booth that specifies infant/stadium regulations as well as a liabilitydisclaimer.

HOMELAND SECURITY Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaasssssssss!!! That is a pathetic excusse KU

Confrontation 8 years ago

"He takes up little space, and sits on either myself or my wife's lap the majority of the time."

Yes, but the rest of the time he's annoying the other paying customers. I've been to plenty of games, and the young children spend their time screaming or slobbering on those nearby. Those kids who can walk are allowed to run up and down the stairs or are constantly leaving their seats and shoving those in front of them. The last thing I want is to be bumped by diaper bags or to receive a nice migraine. I definitely don't dislike children, but most parents I see show no accountability for what their kids do at these games. The parents are 90% of the problem. I think this is an excellent policy that real fans will appreciate and deal with. Otherwise, you can go to Missouri's games.

RonBurgandy 8 years ago

First off, sitters are not always available, and I know people who would not leave their kids with people they don't know.

Second off, just because an infant doesn't get anything out of going to the game doesn't mean the parent(s) don't.

People could have already gotten tickets and want to go to the game. Sitters can cancel too. There are a lot of reasons why babies are at the games. This policy is ridiculous.

staff04 8 years ago

I completely disagree that an infant can't enjoy/appreciate/benefit from being at a game. Being in a very stimulating atmosphere in beautiful weather with the comfort of mom and dad would, in my completely unprofessional opinion, be of tremendous value to a little one.

As for paying, maybe there should be some fee. I would think that most gate agents could make a reasonable determination based on the bulk of extra "baby crap" (diaper bags, etc.) the parents have with them to decide whether they should pay for a full seat or not...

Staci Dark Simpson 8 years ago

Amen Ronnie B! Sometimes it is so hard to find sitters, they cancel or everyone you know is just busy. I agree though a small diaper bag is sufficient, diapers, wipes and a bottle are all you need. Evidently the KC Chiefs must not care about homeland security since they let toddlers and infants in free, NOT! C'mon KU get a clue, when you pack out the stadium regularly then you can worry about not letting in the babies.

monkeyspunk 8 years ago

Confrontation, maybe you should reread your post and post a retraction.

You are worried about receiving a migraine from a child, while at a football game?

Have you ever BEEN to a football game? Loud and crowded are the norms. If you are worried about being bumped by anything or receiving a migraine from noise, perhaps YOU shouldn't go at all.

You are talking about kids walking up and down the stairs. How many uberchildren do you know under one year old can walk up and down the stairs at a sports stadium Confrontation?

Again, have you ever BEEN to a sporting event?

ksjayhawk 8 years ago

How uncanny, I just called the ticket office 2 days ago to verify what I thought to be true, that I would not need a ticket for my baby for the KU vs ULM game. WRONG! Unbelievable, It seems unfortunate to me that folks that have been supporting this team during the lean years are now getting jipped on tickets for babies.

Rock$ Chalk$ Jayhawk$

big_blue 8 years ago

as ku alumni, my wife and i are (again) embarassed by our athletic department. yet another black eye for them. (i guess they have A LOT of eyes!)

countless other college and professional sport venues allow young children/infants to be with their families, but ku can't? the excuses for the policy are laughable. everyone knows it's about the $. maybe if we didn't have to pay mr. perkins so much this policy wouldn't be necessary at all.

as a PROTEST (and to offset any $ the ku ad makes off of any other 3 month olds), i am NO LONGER contributing to the athletic department and WILL NOT be attending any ku football games this season.

I HOPE EVERYONE POSTING THEIR DISGUST HERE WILL DO THE SAME WITH THE KU ATHLETIC DEPT.

1951jayhawks 8 years ago

We are all coming to the realization that Mr. Perkins and the Williams Fund only cares about the dollar and nothing about the KU Family. What really upset me one game was that I had an extra ticket and gave it to an ticket taker with instructions to let a baby in free with it. I found out the son-of-a-gun sold the darn ticket. The ticket taker must be a Perkins want a be.It's hard to feel warm and fuzzy about KU anymore isn't it?

countrygirl 8 years ago

Go try and get a child into a football game at Nebraska, Olahoma or any other big time football school for less than the full price of admission. Not going to happen. KU wants to join the ranks with the big boys of college football--this is what happens.

JayCat_67 8 years ago

Someone way up the thread suggested charging "fat" people more. Airlines do just that. If a person is so large that they cannot comfortably fit into a single seat and "spill over" into the next seat, they will usually have to pay for that second seat. So there is precedence. Wonder if the coach gets charged double?

1951jayhawks 8 years ago

When I was young and growing up in Lawrence KU offered what they called "KUF and KUB" tickets for grade school and junior high students. They were in the endzone in football and the rafters in Basketball. The students had to sit there and not run around the stadium. It was a great idea that worked. I know it wouldn't help the baby problem but it would make me feel better about KU again if they reinstituted it again. How many of you think Perkins looks and acts like a mobster? Just wondering. Old time Jayhawk.

westernksgirl 8 years ago

Why would you bring a baby? Let me see .. b/c I have a FAMILY PASS and the baby is part of said Family? Because of the tailgating before hand with Grandma and Grandpa and the rest of the crew .. b/c my 4 mos old is a whole lot less trouble and lets me enjoy the game more than my 3 yoa who wants to constantly go "potty" or my 8 year old who would rather be playing his gameboy, or, eating all the junk food there, and gets made when we tell him no. But, we go, b/c of tradition and to teach our children about sports. We go to KU football b/c we frankly can't afford the KU basketball tickets and have a misguided sense of trying to support a school, that, obviously, cares little about us. Our baby stays strapped to a FRONT carrier that takes up no room from anyone else. We don't carry any more in than what is necessary (after having the baby bag searched with the three year old last year). In fact, my family takes up less "space" than the annoying family of fat people we sat behind at a game last year .. they kept leaning back so that there was no leg room .. but, that is part of going to a game. If you don't want to put up with people, then, stay home and watch it on t.v. But, for those infants that can not sit up by themselves, they shouldn't be charged. Furthermore, there should be reduced priced tx for kids under 5. IMO. And I agree with the post about Marchioney looking cranky. Perhaps he too, thinks its a dumb policy, but, to keep Lew earning money .. er, I mean making money for the university?

Packman 8 years ago

So the Fousts buy an extra seat for their baby because it and it's gear take up the same amount of space as anybody else. Was the ticket they purchased adjacent to the two they already had?

Chances are, that $35 seat purchased for the baby sat empty ANYWAY, and the three of them sat in their original two seats, taking up the same amount of space with the same amount of limitations as they would have without buying the extra seat.

Great precedent, KU. Everything with KU is about the almighty dollar, the world be damned.

mom_of_three 8 years ago

No, the policy has not always been in effect, and when it was, it was not always enforced. We have attended football games with our neighbors for the past several years and they have small children. It was only last year, during ONE game, where a seat was purchased for a 3 year old. Their infant was in a front carrier, and the diaper bag was very small.
Football games are or can be a family event. I can understand the parents wanting to take their infant or small children. I think KU should adjust their policy at least until the stadium is sold out.

theDudeAbides 8 years ago

That's an interesting comment "Confrontation". It sounds like you may be in the minority of a$$holes, who dislike children and other people in general. Last I checked, a scream by a child at a football game is the last thing to give someone a migraine. 200 infants screaming<<<<<<<40,000 adults screaming.

The majority of Society enjoy young children, including the fans that sat near us at the Chiefs game. They spoke to us, waved to my son, and GASP! even played with my son during half-time.

Sporting events are great situations to spend time with children. Why push them off on a babysitter? I enjoy spending time with my son. I prefer that they be with me instead of staying with a stranger. The point is that an infant and an adult should not be charged the same price of admission.

not_dolph 8 years ago

monkeyspunk - you are right on in your rebut of Confrontation. Interestingly, I have never been to a KU football game that has generated enough excitement that was loud enough to give anyone a migraine.

Other comments talk about airfares...I would think that they are more concerned about Homeland Security than KU Athletics. Interestingly on most of the flights we take, you don't have to pay for a child until they are two-years old.

jayhawkandy 8 years ago

My husband and I attended Saturday's game with our 7 month old. The ticket taker must not have been aware of the policy because we were not asked to purchase a ticket for our son. If we had, we certainly would have left the game, as this is a RIDICULOUS policy.

For those of you who complain that a baby's gear takes up too much room at a game, I'll have you know that I was able to carry all of the things I needed for him at the game in a small knapsack ( smaller than most women's purses) that I placed at my feet.

Our baby was one of the most well-behaved fans at the game. He didn't scream obscenities at bad plays, but simply clapped along with the crowd when KU scored. He didn't overindulge and then act like an ass, unlike many of the irresponsible fans we saw on the way into the stadium.

Anyone who says a baby doesn't get any enjoyment out of a game must think babies are little lumps who aren't cognizant of their environments. Maybe you are the ones who should stay home from the games, and perhaps return when you have developed a little compassion!

ca2herm 8 years ago

people are complaining about babies crying in the stadium? wow....what about all of the screaming drunk fans? i think it would rather sit next to a crying baby than a drunk person screaming and falling all over me. at least you know a little kid won't try to pick a fight with you or be too annoying, and if they were, you could always say something to the parent. who cares if people want to bring their kids to a game? if they want to pay for an extra ticket, let them. i think it is tacky and doesn't help the fact that they're still raising tuition at KU to give coaches one million dollar contracts.

RonBurgandy 8 years ago

"KU wants to join the ranks with the big boys of college football--this is what happens."

• Charging babies to go to football games is not what makes KU join the big boys.

not_dolph 8 years ago

Thank you westernksgirl for clearly stating what most of us have taught about family and tradition.

blessed3x 8 years ago

Here's a thought. Instead of watching a KU game, why not attend a Baker U. or Ottawa U. football game. They are very exciting, every seat in the stadium is a good one and traffic is great. Vote with your $.

Besides, KU sucks.

Rationalanimal 8 years ago

Inevitably, this will cut revenue, not help revenue. Instead of dad, mom and baby coming to the game. Mom and baby will stay home, and possible dad b/c mom is going to be ticked off that dad gets to go and she has to stay home. Genius. All so the Big Mage can have a fat pocket for lackluster results.

This is horribly stupid and is quite simply, indefensible.

oldschool75 8 years ago

This is all pretty ridiculous and falls in line with a frightening trend - KU has sold out. This is not the school I attended in the 90's. It used to be that donors were treated with honor - not booted from their longtime family basketball seats because they wouldn't pony up a staggering amount of money. It used to be that families and children were treated with respect because they are the next generation - not charged full ticket price to be held by their parents. - Is it not possible to increase fundraising by being respectful of the past and the future of the school? - Why isn't everyone upset that we are being outclassed by Mizzou and K-State? If none of this bothers you - enjoy today's Hawks. You will get sold out one day. For the rest of us, we can remember Chip Hillary, June Henley, and the days when KU football was competitive with class.

imagold 8 years ago

I must say however, that little Kate Foust is a cutie.

Kontum1972 8 years ago

HOMELAND SECURITY FOR KU BUT NOT FOR THE CHIEFS OR ROYALS....GOTTA KEEP TRACK OF THOSE BABY AL-QUEIDA...LOL..."WE HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY..AND THE ENEMY IS "US"....POGO

Steve Jacob 8 years ago

This story is even on the front page of ESPN.com WOW!

blessed3x 8 years ago

If it wuz not for futball, i wuld not be playin' futball today.

Brandon Perkins 8 years ago

The first game I took my daughter to was the Northwestern Monsoon in 2002. We sat in the student section next to the band as I was a student at the time and she slept under a poncho the entire time. since then we have invested in the Junior Jayhawk package...$25 for the first 3 home games. After that, honestly I would not want her at a Mizzou or KSU game as we know how the crowd can act....

Confrontation 8 years ago

monkeyspunk: Many people enjoy football games without getting headaches. The screaming of a bawling baby next to you and parental screaming is a completely different story. Also, you need to learn to read. I said, "Those kids who can walk," which means "those kids who can walk." I didn't imply that an infant can walk. I'm sure yours learned to run at a pretty early age in an attempt to run from your stupidity.

Andini: I'm not going to this weekend's KU football game. That's good for me, since your 8 year old must be just as annoying as you and I'd make sure you both knew it.

theDudeAbides: I have absolutely nothing against children, which would be odd due to my own situation. Why do parents like you assume that everyone must looove your baby? People usually act like they like are okay with your screaming baby, just because they don't want to appear "mean" for not "looooving your baby." Just because I wouldn't want to pay to get into a game and listen to your baby scream the whole time, does not mean that I don't like kids. I just doubt I'd like yours, especially if it has your superiority issues.

justthefacts 8 years ago

WE would have loved to purchase tickets; season or otherwise, as going to a nice college football game is a great way to spend time. But we can't afford it, with or without children along. Time was, not that long ago, we bought the $10-15 tickets sold at Hy-Vee, on a "first come first serve" basis for the round bowl part of the stadium. But that was elminated as an option; gotta make more money and pack the stands with well heeled rich folks.

How sad. For KU, for sports fans, for families, for anyone who values tradition and loyalty. The choice made by KU on this matter, and others, evidences a disturbing trend towards preferring and rewarding money and power over anything else. Well KU - guess what - if you keep this up, the mid-west folks that have supported and loved you will be forced to go elsewhere to live, play, and contribute. Good luck attracting the East and West Coast snobs - who are used to living among folks who so little value what most mid-westerners do - to your school! Maybe you should just re-locate the school to Johnson county. You are pricing and putting yourself out of the market in which you live!

Laura House Blanchard 8 years ago

My husband and I took my 20 month old son to the game and paid full price tickets for him. I wish that we would have bought the family pass for the year, but didn't know how many games we would be able to attend. We had reserved seating but chose to sit in the family section so that our son could enjoy the game and meet the Jayhawk and cheerleaders.

I agree that infants probably shouldn't be at the games, (I wouldn't have done it) but that doesn't make it wrong, but that is what the family section if for, not sitting with the other fans.

$300 for the family season pass is a great deal. I think that KU should look at a reduced ticket for kids under 10 in the family section only, like maybe $5 or $10. Just a thought, but not free.... kids do take up space.

kmcd028 8 years ago

My husband and I found out about this policy the hard way too. We purchased season tickets (2) with the intention of bringing our 7 week old with us to the first game. I had spoken to someone in the ticket office when I purchased the tickets who told me it would not be a problem...then I found out differently. I was given the homeland security story and asked then why babies get in to basketball games for free. I was told, "Well, we sell out basketball". They told me they would sell me the closest seat to our seats in the reserved section for another $225. Basically I was going to have to buy a seat that would remain open every game. We ended up with a family pass instead which we will continue to purchase...I don't mind paying for him but they need to be educated about their policies and make them apply to all activities if they are going to apply to one.

I want my son to experience KU sports and develop the love for KU that we have. I do think some parents can go a little overboard with all that they bring...I did see a stroller and carseat being carried up the stairs before the game started on Saturday. For parents like us, who remember what it was like to not to have kids, I am well aware of the people around me and I remove him from the situation of need be.

As for the noise...my son developed inside of me in what was described as an environment LOUDER than a vacuum.

jhawk_pirate 8 years ago

Congratulations ... this story just made ESPN. I agree with most of you. Kids should pay because they do take up space. But if KU still wants to pride itself of being family-friendly, then reduced prices for kids below a certain age wouldn't hurt too much would it? Maybe the babies could make up something to pay up Mangino's new contract ... hehe

Dantheman 8 years ago

$35.00 ticket for an "infant" is ridicules, I would have left and sat on the hill. The way KU handled it, almost makes me want to be a K-State fan. This really isn't that hard! KU should charge a discounted ticket for a "walking child", but "infants" should be allowed in with their parents without charge. Hey Jim, have you ever seen a 3 month old baby sit in chair by themselves! Do you know the difference between a baby, A toddler and a small child? Homeland security issues? Give me a break, maybe a biohazard diaper!

The KU program should have some "heart", as well as personality. Somebody want to tell Jim, so he can be first in line!

P.S. To: Jim (the Grinch) Marchiony light'en up! You're not in Who-Ville anymore

theDudeAbides 8 years ago

Confrontation - You don't have to loooove my baby, but you also don't have to act like a dick.

I don't have superiority issues, I just function in rational way that accepts there are all kinds of people in this world. Babies cry, fact of life. You sound like the type of person who gets mad that handicap people take up too much space with their damn wheelchairs.

sprango 8 years ago

gphawk89 8 years ago

Greed does pay... for a short time, at least. Eventually, KU, you're going to piss off and/or price out enough of your fan base that no increase in ticket price or stupid policy like this is going to bring in more of your precious money.

My extended family has been for several decades big supporters of KU athletics (untold thousands of dollars to the Williams Fund) but the blatant show of GREED in the past few years has put an end to that.

I only hope that KU has the sense to back off before they do irreparable damage to their athletic programs.

not_dolph 8 years ago

Keep up the great work DudeAbides...it is because of people like Confrontation that we don't go to the games...maybe his name says it all.

davisnin 8 years ago

"my son is not a 'screamer'.."

I've yet to meet a parent that thought theirs was. Except they all are, you are just USED to it. Just as most parents are used to letting their kids run up and down the isles and bumping into people without a second glance. God forbid someone else chides the child for it.

Maybe the full price ticket is outlandish, fine. My problem is the fact that people act like their children make no impact on the people around them. I love my nieces and I'll love my [if] kids, but I don't give a crap about your jelly-handed (or whatever sticky stuff that is) little-uns and mine [if] won't be at the game until they can appreciate sitting for 30 minutes or more.

Oh and if this is your first clue that KU is greedy....

Tychoman 8 years ago

It's simple:

Football games are no place for babies. Football is overrated and overpriced, anyway.

theDudeAbides 8 years ago

Thanks not-Dolph.

I think it is very disrespectful for grown men/women, to talk so negatively about children. Think about it - We were all children once, in fact, most would like to go back to a time when they were not so jaded and negative.

Davisnin - Please use my entire quote next time, instead of taking it out of context: "My son is not a "screamer" and I can tell you that I dislike an ouburst as much as the next person. If this occurs, I would find a way to sooth the child or leave the situation."

My intention behind this,was to state that he is not a child that simply screams for no reason (most children do not). If an outburst were to occur, there is a proper way to handle it. I would either fix the situation or leave the situation.

davisnin 8 years ago

Sorry theDudeAbides. My point was not that you said that, but that parents say that or something very similar all the time.

mishmel 8 years ago

My husband and I had season tickets for years. We started 'breeding', and dropped them. This year, we decided we couldn't be away any longer and bought a family pass, which included an extra fee for our third child. We brought our children, 5, 3 and 15 mo. to the season opener. We sat in the family section...what chaos, what a mess...and what fun! It certainly wasn't a walk in the park for us as parents to tell our 3 yr. old that we did not approve of his cruising the stairs, much to his dismay. We had to keep an eye on him to make sure he was respectful to those around him. My 15 mo. old was a bit wiped but sat in my arms the entire time. We kicked over an overpriced pop and saved the lady's jacket in front of us just in time. So why bring kids? We were together, as a family, enjoying the out of doors, supporting a team and teaching our children how to act in certain situations and to get along and respect those around us. My 5 yr. old was sad when we decided to leave a bit early as he was so into it. It was fun, amid all the chaos. We love football and enjoy using all those aforementioned moments as life lessons. I was concious the whole time about those around us. As we left and I made a joke to the lady who sat behind us about how glad she probably was to see us leave. Much to my surprise and delight, she gave a very positive comment to both my husband and I on our kids. She knew it was about having fun.

KansasPerson 8 years ago

AMEN to that, sprango!

sprango said: Why should a college football game become a vice convention that families should avoid? Change your behavior to something more acceptable instead of telling me to stay at home. If you can't civilize yourself, perhaps you should be the one listening to the radio at your own home, where deplorable bahavior is always acceptable.

jlinnote 8 years ago

It is one thing to bleed the parents through endless fees and tuition raises-- but quite another to squeeze young parents who are probably recent graduates or current graduate students at KU to pay full price for their infants. This is bad for KU and their image. I hope the administration realizes the wave of bad press and does something to change this policy and soon. At St. Louis Cardinal's baseball games, all children age 3 and under do not require a ticket provided they sit on their parent's lap. I just confirmed this on their website.

Get real KU...I am confidant that the bad press will hurt much more than the infant ticket proceeds could ever help.

Also: Among Kansas' Big 12 Conference rivals, Fans younger than 2 can get in free to see the Missouri Tigers or Kansas State Wildcats, and those younger than 1 don't need tickets at Iowa State. Even at Univ. of Illinois infant tickets are only $5