Archive for Thursday, September 7, 2006

Dog attack injures four

September 7, 2006

Lawrence Police and medics are sorting out an apparent dog attack in the 2500 block of Redbud Lane, southeast of 23rd and Iowa streets.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical workers on the scene at 10:30 p.m. have reported to emergency dispatchers that four people have suffered nonlife-threatening injuries.

At least one person is being taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for treatment.

Just after 10:15 p.m., officers at the scene reported to dispatchers that gunshots were fired at the dog. The dog is alive, but the scene is secure for officers and medics, a dispatcher said.

Officers have called staff from the Lawrence Humane Society to the scene. Officers have not reported the type of dog involved.

Comments

useta 8 years, 11 months ago

yeah, and there sure are a lot of gun shots reported on redbud...

middleoftheroader 8 years, 11 months ago

its a pit bull... i heard about it from a reliable source

middleoftheroader 8 years, 11 months ago

one of the people it attacked was a police officer

middleoftheroader 8 years, 11 months ago

sorry Tychoman, I cant give away my sources or I would. dont get me wrong I didnt make the post to say anything about whether pitbulls should be banned or not banned. there was just curiousity from other posters that i noticed and I happen to to have known some info about it.

Tychoman 8 years, 11 months ago

Not to come across like a jackass (like I'm sure I do on other threads) but it might be best to not fuel the inevitable debate between breed-banning by saying it was a pitbull and then not backing it up. Although I hate to admit you're probably right. I feel awful assuming it was a pitbull so I'm trying not to. It's better for the thread if you don't fuel the debate before it's confirmed by the police or the press. Preferably the police.

Whether it was a pit bull or not, the proportion of negative publicity for pit bulls to actual attacks and violent events with dogs don't seem to match up. Sure there are plenty of dog bites and fights to go around but pit bulls seem to be the only ones actually reported on.

Sigmund 8 years, 11 months ago

Regardless of the breed, this owner needs to spend serious time in jail.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 11 months ago

if it was a pit they would of said it...If a pit takes a dump it will make the news

isaph 8 years, 11 months ago

This incident actually took place across the street from my apartment, so I'll chip in with what I saw/heard.

Around 1028 or so I heard a great deal of screaming and stepped out on my deck to see what was going on. I saw what appeared, at first, to be a fight - and as anyone who is familiar with Redbud knows that this is nothing to get all excited over - so I stepped back inside to call 911 from my cell. However, when I stepped back outside I saw someone else calling and let them handle it and as they described the situation, they said it was a dog attacking someone. When I heard this I immediately headed back inside to grab my pistol to save the neighbor being attacked. As I headed across the street, the police arrived and after about 30 seconds on the scene shot the dog after they were unable to get it under control.

I applaud the police on their handling of the situation and was rather distraught over the owner of the dog being upset at the police so much so that he had to be restrained.

I couldn't tell due to the lack of lighting whether the dog was a pit bull or not, but it appeared to be a medium breed with coloration brown/tan/black. Media was present around 1040 so they should be able to tell you in their stories.

paladin 8 years, 11 months ago

Human Beings are a danger to themselves, to others, and to the Earth, upon which they are temporary guests if they can behave decently. But, they haven't and they aren't and they won't.

gontek 8 years, 11 months ago

I kind of wondered if there would be an influx of bad dogs to lawrence as a result of the new laws in KC. This is the 2nd dog story in as many days, I hope this doesn't continue.

ForThePeople 8 years, 11 months ago

Under the picture in the paper, it said the dog was a great dane mix. No mention of pit bull in the mix.

ForThePeople 8 years, 11 months ago

Yes the LJW this morning in the Lawrence and State section. Big pic! And from what you could see of the dog, it did appear to be a great dane.

ForThePeople 8 years, 11 months ago

There are no bad dogs.....just bad people!

Confrontation 8 years, 11 months ago

Owners of these attack dogs should receive jail time, as well as the privilege of watching the dog get "put down."

Tammy Yergey 8 years, 11 months ago

If you read the caption in the paper concerning this "vicious" dog, it states, "The dog, a Great Dane mix, was shot by a Lawrence Police officer after it had bitten three people involved in a conflict with the dog's owner." That sheds a whole different light on the situation. It doesn't sound like the dog attacked without provocation, but rather the dog was trying to protect its owner. My little 8 lb. Silkie would probably bite someone if that person was attacking me! And yes, my absolutely wimpy pit-bull mix might even attack as well.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 11 months ago

The city can shut down a bar, or a restaurant, if they see fit to do so, correct? Can they do the same with apartment complexes? Right now, I think those apartments are a much bigger nuisiance than Last Call.

fairylight 8 years, 11 months ago

What am I missing here? The dog was shot because the owner was unable to get the dog under control..and the dog was still in attack mode, right?

Tychoman 8 years, 11 months ago

I'm surprised crop circles haven't been sighted, what with the recent dog news flooding the media lately. This reminds me of "Signs:" The animals all over the county are acting funny. Not like they're aggressive or trying to kill someone, but scared. Like when there's a predator around...

twilight zone music

Tychoman 8 years, 11 months ago

Sure sybil blame astronomical events for irresponsiblity of people.

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 11 months ago

Posted by jonas (anonymous) on September 8, 2006 at 8 a.m. (Suggest removal)

The dog in question.

LOL Jeesopeet if i saw that thing coming at me... i'd pee my pants.

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 11 months ago

Isn't Glenda Overstreet the president of that organization Shasquatch?

gphawk89 8 years, 11 months ago

middleoftheroader said: "its a pit bull... i heard about it from a reliable source"

Wow, that's the biggest pitbull I've ever seen...