Archive for Wednesday, September 6, 2006

On the record

September 6, 2006

Law enforcement report

¢ Lawrence Police arrested two Kansas University students for sexual battery after a woman told police the men touched her inappropriately around 1:50 a.m. Saturday as she was waiting for pizza at The Wheel Cafe, 507 W. 14th St. The men also were found with fake IDs and arrested for making a false driver's license application. They were released on bond and ordered to appear in court Sept. 18.

¢ Two Lawrence residents, Stuart R. Doores, 51, and Rita L. Doores, 49, both of 741 E. 661 Diagonal Road, were booked into jail during the weekend on arrest warrants for possession of cocaine, possession with intent to sell a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia and failure to pay a drug tax stamp.

¢ Someone broke three windows in a portable building at Sunset Hill School, 901 Schwarz Road, between 5 p.m. Friday and 1:20 p.m. Saturday, causing $300 damage.

¢ Paramedics treated a 26-year-old Overland Park man after he was struck in the head with a beer bottle around 1:25 a.m. Sunday during a fight at It's Brothers, 1105 Mass. The suspect is still unidentified.

¢ A 21st birthday celebration turned violent during the weekend for a Kansas University student. The man suffered possible internal injuries and was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital after being beaten about 1:55 a.m. Monday in the 1300 block of Ohio Street. A 21-year-old friend also was injured. The men weren't able to tell officers how they were hurt. Police interviewed witnesses in the area and believe two men - still unidentified - are the suspects. Witnesses reported seeing two men throw a glider bench through a window around 2 a.m. on the front porch of a home at 1300 Ohio and believe that incident may be connected to the fight.

¢ Three unidentified boys are suspected of breaking a window around 10:30 p.m. Sunday on the east side of the Eldridge Hotel, 701 Mass., causing about $800 damage. Witnesses saw the boys running south from the scene after the window was broken.

Burglaries and thefts reported

¢ 300 block of Funston Avenue: A 17-year-old boy's CD player and amplifiers, valued at $1,400, were stolen from a parking lot between 2:30 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. Saturday.

¢ 600 block of Massachusetts Street: M&M Office Supply, 623 Mass., reported a $1,795 computer server stolen between Jan. 16 and Aug. 22.

¢ 900 block of Arkansas Street: A 21-year-old Kansas University student's Toyota Corolla, valued at $16,000, was stolen between 3 a.m. and 6:20 a.m. Saturday.

¢ 700 block of Locust Street: A 20-year-old Ottawa woman reported a purse and handbag, valued at $1,314 total, stolen from her vehicle between 3 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. Saturday.

Injury accidents

¢ A McLouth girl died and several family member suffered injuries during a one-vehicle wreck Sunday in Atchison County.

Barbara Cain, 9, was killed after the Ford pickup truck she was riding in rolled over around 3:20 p.m. along Kansas Highway 116, a Kansas Highway Patrol report said.

According to the report, the truck was driven by her 14-year-old brother, Christopher, who fell asleep at the wheel and lost control. Barbara Cain was not wearing a seat belt.

The children's father, Richard Cain, was flown by medical helicopter to Heartland Hospital with injuries. Bethany Cain, 12, also suffered injuries and was taken to Atchison Hospital, the report said.

Both Christopher Cain and Kylee Cain, 8, were taken to the hospital with possible injuries. All of the passengers were from McLouth.

Emergency calls

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical reported the following fire calls:

¢ Outside rubbish fire, 12:14 a.m. Sunday, 1100 La.

¢ Smoke detector activation, no fire, unintentional, 10:07 a.m. Sunday, 941 Ind.

¢ Outside rubbish, trash or waste fire, 1:28 p.m. Sunday, 1136 La.

¢ Gas leak, natural gas or LPG, 8:41 p.m. Sunday, 2200 Harper St.

¢ Smoke detector activation, no fire, unintentional, 9:49 p.m. Sunday, 2411 La.

Comments

tenziewenzie 7 years, 7 months ago

I guess this is a place for people to leave a comment. Everyone is intitled to theirs, but I would like to tell it like it is. This little girl was apart of my family. My step daughter raised this little girl for the last 2 years, and her little sister Kylee. Barbie was at my house everyday. We all loved her so much! I think that somthing should be done. Chris should not be punished, but maybe give some classes on falling asleep while driving. Richard is to blame! He should never of put Chris behind the wheel with all those kids in the car. They had all been up all night, and was all tired. Richard had fallin asleep himself. I wish no harm to anyone ever! but if there is something done it should be to Rick, not to Chris. For the record, I like offtotheright!

oldgranny 7 years, 7 months ago

Here we go again. When will LJW stop allowing people to post about fatal accidents? offtotheright will never get over him/herself horsefanatic he/she is just an all around vicious person. He/She has done this many times before. I think if anyone needs banned it is offtotheright.

horsefanatic09 7 years, 7 months ago

This tragedy was nothing more than an unintended accident. NOthing more and definately nothing less.

horsefanatic09 7 years, 7 months ago

I know I am definately repeating what other people said, but I knew Chris when he was growing up. I played football with him on a little league, and I know that he would never intentionally hurt his little sister. Offtotheright is really getting on my nerve when he/she has continuously brought up how a 14 year old shouldn't be driving. He/she never really told us when she was asked about when she started to drive. Are you dodging this particular question?

THIS WAS A TRAGEDY. Not something that should be debated over and over until everyones fingers are numb. Its stupid that we have to argue such things, for we should all be helping Chris through such a hard time in his life. My little sister is in the same grade as him. She knows him, and she is hurt that you would say such things about him.

And as for the falling asleep at the wheel, I think its possible. Have you guys ever been driving down the same stretch of road for hours on end become bored with your surroundings? Besides, it could have happened to anyone else. Personally, this is the first time I have ever really heard about a teenager falling asleep at hte wheel, but I hear about 30 year olds, 20 year olds, and even bus drivers falling asleep at the wheel. STUFF HAPPENS.

You don't know what happened in that car. I doubt any of us will ever know. So just quit making everyone all worked up. Because thats all you have suceeded in doing: working everyone into a frenzy, and making Chris feel all the more worst. If you know the family, then why are you being so cruel about this?

So... Offtotheright, get over yourself.

Bobbi Reid 7 years, 7 months ago

Everyone on here, needs to quit worrying about why he was driving, and realize the bigger picture. Barbie is dead. No one on here knows what really happened, and what if she did have her seatbelt on, and took it off to get something on the floor, and the accident happened.. There are a million scenarios, and none of us know what happened, just that McLouth has lost a beautiful and bright little girl. That is what really matters here, not about who was driving, was dad alert, none of that matters.. Christopher will pay for this for the rest of his life.. Leave it alone..

Dixie Jones 7 years, 7 months ago

another_ concered_ parent wrote:" too bad for the rest of the family "........ DID you all catch that .......????? i cant even comment on it without being removed from the board....

offtotheright 7 years, 7 months ago

For one thing, you don't know that this CHILD passed any exams! We all know that 'exams' mean absolutely nothing!

A 14 year old kid is exactly that, A CHILD. Any person who would put his family in the care of A CHILD on a highway is not very smart....I don't give a d*mn what time of day it was. Besides the fact of not insuring all in the vehicle were not restrained by seatbelts is beyond me.

Stupid is as stupid does.

I knew this child, as I know this family! Miss Barbie did not deserve death because of stupidity!

Tychoman 7 years, 7 months ago

Believe me this is an awful accident and if it comes across that I'm trying to make light of this situation, I'm not. I never joke about tragedies like this. Apologies if I come across like an indifferent person.

I agree with you, sow, it is a little fishy about him falling asleep at the wheel with 4 or 5 other people in the car at 3:20p.m.

Tychoman 7 years, 7 months ago

This brings back memories of that accident with those two from Tonganoxie. My prognosticating and unfettered and simply awesome psychic skills predict a debate about what words to say about the accident and those involved and where the line is. Believe me I'm not making light of the accident, just of the inevitable debate.

In one corner we have offtotheright who is perfectly entitled to his opinion. Sorry for the assumption of "his" if it isn't true, but it's the social condition that you automatically assume someone is "that guy" or "him" when you're talking about someone you haven't met.

In the other corner we have the defenders of the family and driver who are also perfectly entitled to their opinions. All right now I want a good clean fight. This has the potential to be an excellent debate about etiquette regarding personal tragedies and possibly preventable factors.

Question for right: are you saying that a 14yearold, who has passed an exam both driving and written, should not be licensed to drive with a restricted license? (Forgive my redundancy).

swbsow 7 years, 7 months ago

I really feel for the boy. He has to live with this for the rest of his life. I don't understand how one falls asleep in the afternoon but maybe it was highway lull?

offtotheright 7 years, 7 months ago

A fourteen year old child should not be out on a highway!

I don't care at what age you were babysitting, and don't care that the parents were dumb enough to allow their children in a vehicle with you!

You better believe that if this truck had plowed into a vehicle of your entire family and killed them all, you would be singing a different story!

Bobbi Reid 7 years, 7 months ago

offtotheright, let it go.. This family has suffered enough already, can't you just leave it alone. How old were you when you first drove. I used to babysit at 14, and drive with the kids in the car.. no accidents. Life happens, and god does things for a reason. Leave this family to grieve..there is no need for your remarks.

offtotheright 7 years, 7 months ago

Why do I disgust you degaus?

You could have been on the opposite side of the highway when this accident happened, or your entire family.

I wonder if my opinion that a 14 year old shouldn't be the designated driver for getting an entire family from point A to point B would be ok if your entire family was wiped out by this accident?

Would you then think differently?

degaus 7 years, 7 months ago

offtotheright is a complete moron. How dare you believe something could have been prevented if you have no clue about the circumstances. What horrible things you have to say about this incident! Who knows -- If they were all wearing their seatbelts, maybe two of them might have been killed instead. They are at a terrible loss, as are those who know the family. Use your head and shut up.

kimberlylane243 7 years, 7 months ago

Have some empathy! This is a small community and almost everyone knows these kids. It is not for us to judge or blame anyone. Christopher is a great young man and this did not happen because of him. It happened because it was time. As much as anyone hates to loose a loved one....when the time comes it doesn't matter how hard you try, God will have the final say. All we can do now is to STOP pointing fingers, making accusations and causing insult to injury. Pray people, pray for the family, pray for Christopher, pray for Richard who is still in the hospital. Then stop and pray for yourself because many of you should be ashamed of making anyone who just lost a loved one, feel worse!!

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 7 months ago

please remember that a family just lost a child a young child at that so please please please shoose your words carefully and have some compassion. My heart is full of sorrow for the familys loss.

offtotheright 7 years, 7 months ago

uh huh, and I am wondering if there had been an actual ADULT at the wheel if this accident would have ever happened.

Sad for this family!

Laura Watkins 7 years, 7 months ago

I was pointing out that the accident shouldn't be blamed on the driver's age. There are plenty of Kansans who drove at age 14 and didn't get into any accidents. I'm personally glad that I was able to start driving at that age so that I could get more practice in before I was able to drive alone.

That all being said, I'm terribly sorry about this tragedy.

offtotheright 7 years, 7 months ago

I know this family and knew Barbie. This was a tragic accident that could have been prevented!

It's probably a miracle the entire family was not killed!

toughangel41 7 years, 7 months ago

"6 people in a pick-up truck, and not one of them wearing a seat belt. There was probably not 6 belts in the truck.

(uh have you never rode in a truck there are 6 seatbelts)

14 year old driver responsible for all of those lives. What is wrong with people!"

WOW!! off to the right ,

just want to let you know you have got to be the most....

oh never mind it's not worth the use of my typing skills just want to say open your little mind ( won't even suggest removal want EVERYONE to see how little your brain is)

Be kind, have a heart and all the cliches for the people like you out there.

Sorry people it just hit a raw nerve with the comments given by "OFF"

My apoligies to you all that have love in your heart!!!

offtotheright 7 years, 7 months ago

"This was an extended cab truck, and so what if he was only 14, he had a licensed driver with him, and that is legal in the state of Kansas"

Legal? yes. Stupid? yes! As the driver of a vehicle, I think it is MY responsibility to tell my passengers to put their seat belts on. Or maybe as a Parent, I would think it my responsibility to assure my children had their seat belts on.

Whatever happened, 'falling asleep at the wheel' is what the article said, it doesn't really matter, this is tragic and could have been prevented if it happened in Atchison or Mclouth!

Poor kid and poor family!

toughangel41 7 years, 7 months ago

dbrm your comment gave me goosebumps it is exactly what I was about to submit just about to hit the button. Barbie was an exceptionally beautiful little girl makes me so sad to know I won't see her around here any longer but she will be here in spirit. Everyday you wake up and see the beautiful day ahead she is there if you see a beautiful but ornery smile there she is. I am so sad having losing a babygirl many years ago my heart and prayers are with all the family and friends of her and her brother . Chris, if you ever get a chance to read this.. always know we love you son. Your a beautiful kid always remember that. God is with you always and so are your friends and family. you don't know me but my daughter is in your grade she also is praying for you as well as our whole family and everyone else out there thinking of you. Love you always... my name is Stevie

Peace be with you!

Bobbi Reid 7 years, 7 months ago

This was an extended cab truck, and so what if he was only 14, he had a licensed driver with him, and that is legal in the state of Kansas.. Maybe something medical happened to him, that caused him to pass out or fall asleep, why does everyone on here have to be so judgemental when a precious child is dead. Get over yourselves, and think about this poor child and her family. Not whether or not he should have been driving.. Accidents happen, and no one is perfect at 14 or 40.. And this happened near Atchison, not in McLouth where they all live and go to school. This has been really hard on my daughter, since she went to school with Barbie and Kylee

countrygirl 7 years, 7 months ago

And just how do you know that none of the 6 were wearing seatbelts? The article only states that Barbara was not wearing a seatbelt. Most extended cab pick ups have room and seatbelts for 6. The family has to live with the lose of their loved one--and that poor kid won't want to try to drive again for a good long time. Show some sympathy.

offtotheright 7 years, 7 months ago

and so? What is your point? It's ok because it is legal? It certainly shouldn't be.

Laura Watkins 7 years, 7 months ago

14-year-olds are allowed to get a restricted permit in the state of Kansas. I had one.

offtotheright 7 years, 7 months ago

Sad for this family....my condolences!

another_concerned_parent 7 years, 7 months ago

Well, what was a 14 year old doing driving a vehicle anyway? And why didn't the father make sure that all kids had on seatbelts? Were they in a field they owned and the boy was practicing his driving? Well, I doubt he will be eager to jump behind the wheel of another vehicle anytime too soon. Too bad for the rest of the family.

Bobbi Reid 7 years, 7 months ago

I know all of the kids involved in the accident, and am so sorry to hear of this. My heart goes out to the family. We'll miss you Barbie!!