Archive for Wednesday, September 6, 2006

Dog fighting, animal cruelty cases on decline

September 6, 2006

Complaints about cruelty to animals and dog fighting have dropped significantly during the past year, and Lawrence Humane Society officials credit changes made to city ordinances.

"The anti-tethering law, I think, has been the best thing for Lawrence," said Midge Grinstead, executive director of the Lawrence Humane Society's animal shelter.

In 2005, there were a little more than 800 such complaints, Grinstead said, including about 50 about dog fighting. As of last week, there had been only about 260 similar complaints, with about 25 of them involving possible dog fighting, she said.

"I honestly can't remember the last time we took in a pit bull that was scarred," said Jeaneen Hercha, the Lawrence Humane Society's cruelty investigator, referring to the dog breed often associated with dog fighting.

Two years ago, the city adopted an anti-tethering ordinance that prevents dog owners from keeping pets chained outside. Some dangerous dogs are able to break their chains or ropes, so the dogs must be kept inside or in pens.

"The dogs aren't languishing outside, so our cruelties are down, and we don't have the dangerous dogs chained up outside like we'd had before," Grinstead said.

Both Lawrence and Douglas County have vicious dog laws, too. The laws define what a vicious dog is and set steps for impounding the dog - and, if a district court judge orders it, putting it to death. Grinstead and Hercha said they thought the laws also had an effect on dog cases.

Grinstead said she had talked with city representatives in Topeka and Charleston, W.Va., who have called inquiring about the local dog laws.

Comments

ForThePeople 8 years, 6 months ago

Really we should all pity folks like Marion and enforcer....so sad that they live life behind a computer fighting for lost causes. If they would just contain some of the hatred...they might actually be assets to the community!

gr 8 years, 6 months ago

Let's see what we have here from what the article said:

Complaints about cruelty "to animals" are down.

The anti-tethering law had something(?) to do with it.

The anti-tethering law prevents dogs from being kept outside where they may be able to break free and (cause cruelty to humans? or is it each other?).

Therefore, since the dogs aren't outside, "animal cruelty" is down.

And someone who doesn't make any more sense than that is in charge of welfare for animals? I guess you have to read more into it than what the article says.

acg 8 years, 6 months ago

The Bobs are killing me this morning.

"Oh, I didn't know Marion had an opinion on dogs."

I shot coke right outta my nose when I read that!

trinity 8 years, 6 months ago

lmao, me too acg-just gotta luv them bobs! :)

angelofmine 8 years, 6 months ago

That coke-out-of-your-nose reference didn't sound so good, acg! LOL Goodness, its getting scary on these boards!

Confrontation 8 years, 6 months ago

Hmmmm...So, there's this article about how wonderful all the puppies are being treated in town. This article just happens to contribute part of this success to the new laws pushed by the Humane Society. Then, you've got an article asking for major donations to the Humane Society. Coincidence?

ForThePeople 8 years, 6 months ago

"that the megalomaniacal Judge Randy McGrath"

Hardly! This, in no way describes the Randy McGrath I've come in contact with. However it does rightly describe your behavior on this forum!

Sheesh Marion....why don't you put your time and efforts into fighting for something that might actually make a difference in the community?

ForThePeople 8 years, 6 months ago

UH....Hester....did you not notice that Marion, enforcers "lawyer" was the one who brought up Luna. Perhaps you could conjure up another little incantation and MAKE IT ALL GO AWAY!

ForThePeople 8 years, 6 months ago

Because you are better than us...Now leave us to our bickering.

OMG....ROTFLMAO!

Sas...your giving the bobs a run for their money on the funnies!

Confrontation 8 years, 6 months ago

Sasquatch34: I would apologize if I hurt your feelings, but that would imply that I cared. I was just pointing out the LJWorld coincidence. Get over yourself.

Tychoman 8 years, 6 months ago

Hey Bobs, you rock for keeping this thread bearable. Marion's ad hominem attacks (and blatant strays from the topic at hand which I remember him clearly lecturing everybody and their dog [haha] on in previous threads).

Marion here's a song for you: "I'm too hypocritical for my shirt. Too hypocritical for my shirt. So hypocritical it hurts!"

No one wants the dog dead, everyone wants it returned to enforcer or at least someone more responsible, so go take a rabies vaccine before your keyboard short-circuits from all the slobber you've been raining down on it every time you post on Luna.

gr 8 years, 6 months ago

Sasquatch34: "You see gr, the city made it against the law to tether your animal outside for over a certain amount of time. This means that people, in fear of breaking this law, are no longer tethering their animal for days on end, forgetting to feed and water it and such. Therefore, neighbors and others are not calling the police because poor Fido has been outside without food and water for days. Hence, the decline in animal cruelty, at least in this capacity."

I see you made my point even more clear. Keep in mind, just because a dog is tethered, does not mean people forget to feed and water it. Likewise, just because a dog is inside and out of site does not mean it is being fed and watered. It may be true that neighbors are not calling, but only because they can't see it happening. The only capacity that there is a decline in animal cruelty is that it's not being reported. But, that's not what the "English" said. You could not declare there is any "real" decline.

Logic sure is tough, isn't it Sasquatch34.

gr 8 years, 6 months ago

sasquatch,

Conjecture is what I was accusing you and the article of. Just because there are less reports of cruelty doesn't mean it's not happening. For that matter, it doesn't mean it was happening before. Only that there were reports.

Like, reports of Martians doesn't mean there are any. Fewer reports of Martians doesn't mean we are being visited less.

Saying animal cruelty is down because it's not being reported as much, makes as much sense as saying that after discontinuing the cruelty hotline, animal cruelty has dropped to an all time low.

Not tying dogs up had little to do with it. For your logic, requiring all home owners to build an eight foot solid fence around their yard would cause the same reduction of reporting.