Archive for Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Father, daughter on bike struck by car

September 5, 2006

A Eudora father and his young daughter were seriously injured Monday evening when their bicycle was struck by a motorist.

Two helicopter ambulances were dispatched to the accident scene near 14th and Ash streets in Eudora about 7:15 p.m. Monday. Police were not releasing any details, but eyewitnesses confirmed that a man and his preschool-aged daughter were struck by a car driven by a Eudora High School student.

Names of the victims and their conditions were not immediately available. The child was transported by Life Star helicopter to Children's Mercy Hospital. The man was transported by Life Net helicopter to University of Kansas Hospital in Kansas City, Kan.

Alisha Wingebach, a witness who called 911, said the father was pulling his daughter on 14th Street in a wagon-like carrier behind his bicycle when a westbound car struck them from behind. The accident shattered the windshield of the Mazda Protege.

The accident slowed traffic near 14th and Church streets as the two helicopters landed at nearby Nottingham Elementary School.

Comments

justbu 7 years, 7 months ago

From eudoranews.com:

Barbara Muth, a spokesperson for Children's Mercy Hospital confirmed Wednesday Emalee was no longer a patient.

gcoper3 7 years, 7 months ago

I've heard that the child is back home and the father is still in the hospital. Both should recover.

ksvoter 7 years, 7 months ago

I think improving the roads is the long term solution -> widening & paving roads, stoplights & sidewalks. Eudora actually has traffic it needs to manage it not ignore it!

b4real 7 years, 7 months ago

Anyone know how the father and daughter are doing?

estespark 7 years, 7 months ago

Enforcement is the overnight solution - it's the best way to get the most people to slow down. Long term solution...?

b4real 7 years, 7 months ago

well the chip and seal is the "paved" part of 20th street, they tore up a large section of the chip and seal just recently because they didn't originally put it down correctly. The road was peeked to high in the middle, thus putting too much vehicle weight on the outer section of the road that did not have enough shoulder support to hold the road together which then busted it all up. Their solution was to just rip it out and replace it with gravel, and they have no plans at this time to re pave it.

I do totally agree with you that it all needs to be curbed and paved since it is a city street, with large amounts of traffic. The dirty car thing is one thing, but I'm really worried that we will have another major accident on that road with a pedestrian.

reginafliangie 7 years, 7 months ago

b4real, its that crappy chip and seal stuff that creates the dust. I want an actual paved road. I am sick of washing my car every other day!

reginafliangie 7 years, 7 months ago

What about the jokers who don't think it's the law to stop at the posted stop signs in Eudora. I see this more daily than I care to know. It's a STOP sign, stop at it. Just cause it's in a small town there are no "special" rules. I get so tired of that. There is a stop sign right by my house. I could make so much money writing tickets at that corner. Plus I have two ADULT drivers who think the road in front of my house is the speedway. Seriously, they do at least 45 MPH! If you are in that much of a hurry then you need to leave sooner. ksvoter, amen to that. I am sick of that part gravel part paved road. I mean really, how much more money would it cost them to pave the rest of the 1/8 mile of that road??

b4real 7 years, 7 months ago

Eudora seems to want to point out that we are 6,000 people and growing, and we are! We have passed new bonds for new schools, which were badly needed, now it is time for a town of 6,000 to start building an infrastruction for a town of 6,000.

Personally I think that 4 way stop needs a stoplight, it's just gotten too busy there due to the development to the East, and more home are being built now.

That is not the only deadly dangerous road in Eudora.

2200th Rd, also known as 1061 hwy by the schools need to be 3 lanes, and the high school intersection at least needs a flashing stop light during the school season.

20th street between 1061 hwy and Winchester Rd needs to have the chip and seal put back down. In the mornings and evening during the school year, the traffic on this 20th st is increadible. You can't see anything because of the dust, and kids are sometimes walking or riding bikes on this road. We have seen several cars in the ditch, ran off the road because of poor visibility due to the dust.

It shouldn't take an accident like this to get these improvments done. There is no reason why the developers that are putting the additional strain on the town shouldn't be paying for these improvements also. However in the cases where the city missed the opportunity to get those done, I know I would be for a bond to update these roads to the conditions they need to be for our safety, and the safety of our children.

I really truely hope the best for the father and daughter and hope they pull through this. Eudora, it's time to wake up. Fix our roads now before there are others!

ksvoter 7 years, 7 months ago

Eudora needs to improve its roads & traffic signals. It is designed like a town of 2000 and has some serious growing pains. Traffic is too heavy on these small residential streets, there is a lack of sidewalks everywhere, and 20th St & Winchester being gravel is ridiculous. An accident was inevitable!

Morning travel to school of a heavy traffic gravel road is the next accident waiting to happen. There has already been a car in the ditch last week. Hopefully Eudora doesn't wait for more people to get hurt or killed before they start actually city planning!! I think a trip to a city council meeting is in order for all concerned!

My heart goes out to this family! Hopefully we can turn this around and prevent injury to anyone else!

mistygreen 7 years, 7 months ago

I was at the C&S moments before this accident. As I was leaving,I was blinded by the sun when I tried to turn right onto 14th. I looked in both directions as best as I could, was not in a hurry, but I could not see a thing as the sun was right at street level. I said a prayer as I turned hoping that I didn't miss something because of the sun. I did not witness this accident, but I really believe that the sun may have impacted the driver's vision. Unfortunately because this was a teenage driver, they are being labeled as a bad driver/speeder etc. When truth be said, it could of been anyone driving along that street. My thoughts and prayers go out to both families.

linus 7 years, 7 months ago

This is a sad story all the way around. Everyone that has posted here seems to know that no one does the speed limit and that you can't see when the sun is setting, etc. ...but only NOW do you consider going to the City Council to do something about it. That is just sad...

My thoughts and prayers go to the father and daughter (and their family) for a full recovery AND to the teenager that will have to live with what he/she has done. This is just sad...

justbu 7 years, 7 months ago

I hope they will both be okay. We heard all of the sirens and the helicopters last night and knew something bad must have happened.

I'm not sure how the city can get people to follow the posted speed limits more (the signs are quite clear). I see speeding teens and adults on that stretch and throughout the neighborhood almost daily. With so many young children in the community, drivers have got to become more responsible.

We'll pray they both make a full recovery.

mefirst2006 7 years, 7 months ago

i just hope they both are doing well. and home soon.

mztrendy 7 years, 7 months ago

If you're driving somewhere where you can't see due to sun, then hopefully you are paying close attention to your surroundings and shouldn't strike 2 people on a bicycle. I hope the two of them are alright.

theDudeAbides 7 years, 7 months ago

Heard the helicopters last night, knew it must have been an accident... Thoughts are with the family. Slow down people!

Confrontation 7 years, 7 months ago

barnhardt01: If you can't see due to the sunlight, then SLOW YOUR A$$ DOWN!!!

barnhardt01 7 years, 7 months ago

I think a trip to the city council meeting might not be a bad idea. I have actually thought about taking my video camera outside and taping the cars flying down my street and taking it to a meeting. I could catch alot of people, so of them are even members.

billyflay 7 years, 7 months ago

this sounds like child abuse,

it's totally irresponsible of parents to allow their kids to ride bikes around cars,

why not have them play on railroad tracks or on farm implements,

Marion Lynn 7 years, 7 months ago

Although the statisics indicate that bike trailers for kids have been safe, I have been concerned about the matter for some time.

It appeasr to me that putting a kid into what is essentially a package cart behind a bicycle is an inherently dangerous practice.

I'm not attempting to determine responsiblity or to shift responsibility in this matter but only suggesting that this accident clearly demonstrates the inherent danger in the use of such trailers.

I hope that the father and child do well and recover from the injuries.

Thanks.

Marion.

countrygirl 7 years, 7 months ago

There is a children at play sign right at the corner of 12th and Tallgrass and it doesn't seem to slow people down a bit. I'd like to see a huge speed bump on 12th as you come down the hill. It would be a bit of a pain for those of us who don't speed, but worth it to slow some of the crazies down who come through there.

barnhardt01 7 years, 7 months ago

Urthlvr you must live by Peach Street. My neighbor and I yell at cars all night long when our kids are outside playing. The speed limit is posted 30 on Peach, however the majority of cars are driving 40 to 45 mph. I hate to throw this in, but it is usually not the high school kids speeding , its their parents. The city needs to lower the speed in the residential areas down to 20 and put some Children at Play signs up, then maybe when they go down Peach they will be closer to the 30 MPH limit.

urthlvr 7 years, 7 months ago

the father/daughter live just down the street from me. i see the family riding their bikes all the time. the cart the child was in is Bright Yellow with a tall Orange Flag. they do all they can to make sure people see them.

i agree with countrygirl, people drive way too fast in the residental streets. just the other night i heard someone from a street over yelling at a driver to Slow Down!

i hope they both fully recover from their injuries and that the kid driving the car is a little more observant/cautious from now on.

barnhardt01 7 years, 7 months ago

All people of all ages don't pay attention and have accidents. You assume that because this is a high school age kid, they had to be doing something wrong, which may not be the case. It may just be a terrible accident.

As for me telling you what to state on this website, you are right, not my place. If you actually came across like you gave a crap about other people, you won't be able to get other people so stirred up with your one-liners. Everybody would love you, and that's no fun.

offtotheright 7 years, 7 months ago

Hey Barnardt, most everyone drove at the age of 16, a lot being accident free.

Has nothing to do with THIS high school age kid NOT PAYING ATTENTION!

Also, please don't tell me what I should be stating on here.....I really don't think that is your place!

countrygirl 7 years, 7 months ago

The location doesn't mean that the driver couldn't have been speeding. We live a couple of blocks north from where this happened and there are high school kids tearing up and down 12th street all the time. This whole area is full of kids playing, and people out walking and riding bikes. We've sat in our own front yard praying that one of the little ones won't step out to cross the street just as one of speed demons decides to come through. I truly hope that both of the people hit will be OK. We heard the helicopters come in over our house and it gave our whole family chills. Please, please, slow down out there.

barnhardt01 7 years, 7 months ago

Don't make this about your issue with High School Drivers. I also drove at 16 and I have never had a accident. I am 38 now.

I live in Eudora, and as the news says the car was heading West bound, meaning directly into the sun. I myself have almost hit someone at that location, the sun sets right directly over that rode making it down right impossible to see anything, no matter how old you are. I think everyone who drives in Eudora can understand what I am talking about. That location is sandwiched between 2 stop signs in less than a quarter mile and a 20 mph zone.

Instead of preaching your crap, you should of stated how your prayers and thoughts are with both the families.