Archive for Saturday, September 2, 2006

Faith forum: What’s the difference between belief in God and faith in God?

September 2, 2006

How do you define 'belief'?

The Rev. Shaun LePage, pastor, Community Bible Church, 906 N. 1464 Road:

You know airplanes take off every day. All around the world people fasten their seatbelts and let a complete stranger take them 32,000 feet in the air. You also know the vast majority survive. With your feet on the ground, you say, "I believe I would survive if I flew on an airplane."

Is this how you define "belief?"

Many people "believe" Jesus Christ really exists. Many believe he is who he claimed to be - God himself and the savior of the world.

But that's not biblical faith. That's just mental assent. An acceptance of the facts. The Bible says demons "believe" in this way (James 2:19).

Biblical "faith" is very different. Biblical faith goes beyond mental acceptance of the facts. Biblical faith is like actually buying a ticket. Biblical faith is like boarding a plane, like fastening your seat belt and trusting that pilot to take you up and back down again. Biblical faith is trust - putting your eternal destiny in the hands of this Jesus who claims to be the only savior of the world.

Jesus said in John 5:24, "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears my word, and believes him who sent me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life." One who believes in this way is trusting Jesus Christ with his eternal destiny. More than 60 times, the New Testament tells us "eternal life" is given to those who put their faith (trust) in Christ alone for salvation.

So, the real question is, do you simply accept the facts as true, or are you trusting Christ with your eternal destiny?

- Send e-mail to Shaun LePage at shaun@community-bible.org.

Faith, belief, sides of same track

The Rev. Rene Brown, pastor, Ninth Street Missionary Baptist Church, 847 Ohio:

The words "faith" and "belief" are similar words.

Nelson's Bible Dictionary defines faith as a belief in or confident attitude toward God, involving commitment to his will for one's life. Nelson also says belief is to place one's trust in God's truth. A person who believes is one who takes God at his word and trusts in him for salvation.

I like to look at faith and belief as a train on a track. There are two sides to a track, and they both are needed for the train to safely make it to its destination.

Faith and belief are not something you can see. It's like electricity - if you stick your finger in an electrical outlet you may not see it, but you will know it's there.

Faith and belief are two sides of the same coin. There are at least four Greek words for faith, and the one most commonly used is pisteuo, which means persuasion. The root word is peitho, which means to convince.

The word belief in Greek is pistis, which means confidence or trust. In essence, the words are one and the same. When people have faith or a belief, it simply means they are convinced by the facts. We all have faith in some form or another. Either we are convinced by the facts of life, the facts of our background, education or even the facts about what we know about God.

Based on those facts, we exercise our faith or belief as we go throughout life. I often say faith is chicken gravy without seeing chicken bones. Hebrews 11:1 says faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

- Send e-mail to Rene Brown at rbrown5175@aol.com.

Comments

manus_flexibilis 5 years, 6 months ago

I have faith in my indian car, may not look good but it will get me there. I can't believe these gas prices, needing more handouts! Referring to the lil johnny jokes on the paraphrase.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 6 months ago

autie (Anonymous) says: Marion, you are on your A game this morning. Those guys keep referring to facts. I see no facts in your book..lots of nice stories with good messages on how to conduct oneself..but no facts"Marion writes:Yeah, I sometimes watch this strange program on the satellite called "Amazing Facts"; which program is put out by the Seventh Day Adventist Church and it contains no facts at all; only preaching.Well, I suppose you could say that the so-called "facts" are that what they talk about is indeed written in the Bible and that is a "fact" but the rest of it is Bronze Age superstition..,,and pleas for money..

i_tching 5 years, 6 months ago

Religious belief is simply a commitment to delusion, and it is best gotten rid of and supplanted with devition to reality and logical scientific enquiry.Faith is nothing but good odds.

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

Marion, you are on your A game this morning. Those guys keep referring to facts. I see no facts in your book..lots of nice stories with good messages on how to conduct oneself..but no facts.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 6 months ago

The Goodly Reverend LePage has spoon-fed you not only a Red Herring but a complete line of biosolids!Choosing to board an airplane is the reslut of a completely rational decision based on the fact that flying is actually much safer than driving your car to the grocery store!You do not have "faith" in the pilot; you know that the pilot is highly trained and a professional at what he does and you therefore make the entirely rational decision to fly on an aircraft which the pilot controls.Should a pilot come on the com and announce that he is really a Turkish taxi driver with no knowledge of how to fly a plane, the passengers would rip off the emergency doors in a perfectly rational, circumstantially-driven display of quite rational self-preservation!No "fatih" there!"Faith" is merely a method through which the clergy gets otherwise normal people to suspend critical thought processes and join into a Bronze Age cult in the interst of power and controlohand money

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 6 months ago

Belief: Acceptance /hopeful optimism even if evidence is against the belief.Faith: Acceptance /hopeful optimism with no evidence at all.Just an opinion.

preebo 5 years, 6 months ago

It is simple...Belief is passive, while faith is active.In logical terms, all people of faith are believers, whereas all people who believe are not necessarily the faithful.I would happen to be one of the faithful.

Jesuscrew 5 years, 6 months ago

Belief is a confession of the heart of what a person thinks and therefore says (Romans 10:9-10; James 2:19). Belief manifests itself in the thoughts and words of a person. Faith, on the other hand, is what a person does (James 2:17: Acts 16:5), it manifest itself in the actions taken by a person, based on what they believe (think and say) concerning a person, situation, or circumstance. Trust is the confidence that the actions or steps that one has taken, based on what they think and say along with the actions taken, will yield the desired result. Example: A farmer thinks that planting seeds will yield a crop. Therefore, he takes the action steps of planting the seeds. He does not see the results of his action steps (planting the seeds) right away, but he is confident that the crop will come forth based on the facts and knowledge of what he knows about the ground, sun, and rain working together to change the elements of the seed into a fruit or vegetables.

letsgetwise 7 years, 7 months ago

Great answer Ms. Canada. I couldn't have expressed it better.

ms_canada 7 years, 7 months ago

Belief - to me, it is accepting the fact that Jesus existed 2000+ years ago on this earth. Accepting what the Bible, God's Word, tells us about Him and Jesus.

Faith - to me is trusting that Jesus was and is who He said He is and trusting that He will do what He said He would do. That is, that He would give me eternal life as I give my life to Him. Also trusting that He would send me His Holy Spirit to give me wisdom and understanding and guidance for this life on earth.