Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

Wal-Mart, city heading back to court

Trial is set for April 16

October 27, 2006, 11:13 a.m. Updated October 27, 2006, 1:02 p.m.

Scott Beeler, an attorney who represents the city

Scott Beeler, an attorney who represents the city of Lawrence, reacting to the decision to restart the lawsuit alleging the city illegally denied a building permit for a Wal-Mart store at Sixth Stree and Wakarusa Drive. Enlarge video

Douglas County District Court Judge Michael Malone has agreed to restart a lawsuit alleging that the Lawrence City Commission illegally denied a building permit for a Wal-Mart store at Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive.

"Wal-Mart could not possibly be more disappointed to be back here," Timothy Sear, an attorney representing Wal-Mart told Malone as he asked for the case to be set for trial.

Malone scheduled the case for a one-week trial, which is set to begin April 16.

The case was restarted after city commissioners on Tuesday denied on a 3-2 vote a plan to build an approximately 100,000 square feet store at the northwest corner of the intersection. Developers seek through the lawsuit to build an approximately 132,000 square feet store on the site. That's the size of the building that Wal-Mart had sought to build before filing the lawsuit. It was denied a building permit by the city, which started the legal proceedings.

Bill Newsome of 6Wak LLC

Bill Newsome, who leads the Lawrence development group that owns the property at Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive, explains why his company, 6Wak, LLC, sought to restart its lawsuit against the city. Enlarge video

Wal-Mart brought forward the plan for the smaller store after reaching a legal agreement with the city in April to put the lawsuits on hold. Attorneys for Wal-Mart and a Lawrence development group that owns the property told Malone they were bewildered at how the city could reject the new plan, especially since it received a recommendation from the city's planning staff.

"We jumped through an extreme number of hoops to develop this plan," Sear said. "There are three members of the City Commission who apparently never intended to vote for any plan."

Commissioners Boog Highberger, Mike Rundle and David Schauner voted against the plan on Tuesday. Scott Beeler, an Overland Park attorney representing the city, said city commissioners did absolutely nothing wrong in rejecting the plan.

"They did not violate any part of the settlement," Beeler said. "There was no legal requirement to approve the plan. The agreement simply provided a forum for Wal-Mart to submit a new plan. That's exactly what occurred."

Comments

Bobbi Walls 8 years, 9 months ago

Go Walmart... Lawrence needs a reality check..

gerbilsniper 8 years, 9 months ago

Oh for crying out loud...everyone is so up-freaking-tight....Wal-Mart is not the devil... I buy my toilet paper at wal-mart, my milk at Hy-Vee, and my shoes on Mass Street...Wal-mart isn't gonna hurt any more of the local businesses any more than Target or Best Buy

concernedparent 8 years, 9 months ago

If paving downtown gets rid of all the homeless beggers and crime, go for it. And no I'm not too lazy to drive to the one south of town. Thats where I go now, but soon my life is about to be changed because DG county commission decided to close the bridge from my town to lecompton which is a lifeline for me, so my driving will be increased enough as it is, and since I work in west Lawrence, it'll be convienent for me. So don't judge me and my reasonings scenebooster, if you don't like it, and you can afford to buy you and your family clothes at Abercrombie and the Buckle, go right ahead. One thing about this town and county is they always get what they want, and if it looks like thats not going to work out for them, then they start throwing their money around and see what that gets them.

nlf78 8 years, 9 months ago

Just get it over with already!! I still can't believe this much fuss is being made over a Walmart. Yes, I'm one of the millions of Americans who because of finanicial issues has to shop at the "big bad wolf" but just get it over with!

craigers 8 years, 9 months ago

Commission declines a 90K square ft building and gets a 130K square ft building along with some legal fees. Congratulations on wasting more tax money.

ControlFreak 8 years, 9 months ago

I'm still working on my Darth Walmart costume for Halloween.

I'm going to try to have one of my friends be a Lawrence hippie with a sign that says "Protect our Children from Traffic" or something like that.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone would think my friend was wearing an actual costume.

I should run around with my lightsaber chasing people around telling them I'm going to slash prices. It will be a hoot.

Godot 8 years, 9 months ago

They won't have to go to trial April 16. The PLC will have been replaced by people with common sense by then.

Kim Gouge 8 years, 9 months ago

This is a tough one. One one hand, you want to side with Compton and Newsome. "Let their project happen. They need the money." On the other hand the last thing Lawrence needs is another minimum wage, no overtime, no health benefits, community destroying corporate citizen. Hmmmmm, tough choice. Good job commission....Boog, quit second guessing....you were right the first time.

concernedparent 8 years, 9 months ago

Go walmart. The city of Lawrence and Douglas County both need to realize that their sh*t stinks just like everybody elses and quit trying to throw their power around.

trackstar3016 8 years, 9 months ago

Hell no! Walmart is ruining Lawrence. Lawrence used to be a small, charming university town. Why the hell do we need another one?! We've got one on Iowa! I've only been in a Walmart three times in my entire life. And I've hated all three times. My dad lost his job because of Walmart, when they ran Kmart out of business. People say Walmart creates jobs. Well, that's true. Minimum wage jobs, with no benefits that make you work overtime without pay. Hopefully, the city of Lawrence can stand up for itself, and realize that one Walmart is enough to satisfy the people that choose to shop there.

Bud Stagg 8 years, 9 months ago

The commission has rules, Wal Mart has followed the rules. You can't change the rules because you don't like what Wal Mart stands for, they have the right to run a business as long as it is legal.

I agree that Wal Mart destroys local economies, but I am a business owner and a citizen. My customers either buy from me or not based on my product and service. If you don't like my product, service or politics, vote with your dollars.

Do the same to Wal Mart, if you don't like how they operate, don't buy their stuff. However don't play games with my tax dollars. Rules are rules, laws are laws, and codes are codes, follow them.

Don Zimmer 8 years, 9 months ago

I am new at this posting thing but have been following this issue. I have now posted on three articles. Isn't "cut and Paste" wonderful. Now if i only knew how to use "spell check" and could type.

1. Not everyone can afford or want to pay for a $99 Patagonia or North Face fleece vest downtown when they can buy at WMT or Target for $19.

2. An earlier post listed the various businesses (including downtown), KU and government jobs only pay minimum wages and no benefits.

So WMT is fulfilling a need for these people, by providing lower cost goods and jobs.

It seems like our City should pay more attention to attracting jobs (including retail) than preventing tax paying and job creatiing businesses from locating in Lawrence.

I have a question. It seems that most of these threads come from a limited amount of people. Do these people have a real life and are their posts influential to the policy makers?

One post regarding "Fields" was helpful in that the internet is changing the retail environment and did not blame WMT and Compton for everything

doesitmatter 8 years, 9 months ago

Trackstar. I could not agree with you more. Lawrence is built upon it's small unique stores. It gives Lawrence its charm. But i do agree with dbrm4ever 2006. Lawrence really does need a reality check. It is almost impossible to accomplish anything here. The commission runs Lawrence... not the people.

cassieP 8 years, 9 months ago

Isn't there more to life than cheap goods? Could there be a reason the city is protesting another Wal Mart? We once thought fossil fuels were the best thing since sliced bread and that those protesting their use were fatalistic crackpots. Wal Mart has such massive buying power that it literally forces companies who wish to sell their products in the store to move factories overseas. What are the long term effects of this going to be?

fonz73 8 years, 9 months ago

Build the friggin' Wal-Mart already. They have deeper pockets than the City of Lawrence, and they WILL win, mark my words. Instead of Lawrence spending all this money to fight Big Business, why don't we spend that money to adequately fund our schools?

Better education = better standard of living for our children.

And then they will be able to afford those $20 a pair tube socks.

Enough already.

cdc 8 years, 9 months ago

No one is forced to shop at Wal-Mart for financial reasons in this country. NO ONE. Ever hear of dollar stores and coupon clipping?

Those in poverty (or close to it) are only hurting themselves by supporting a corporation that pays minimum wage with few benefits and actively helps elect Republicans.

Sigmund 8 years, 9 months ago

Don't like WalMart, then don't shop there.

WalMart followed the rules, substantially complied with zoning requirements, and have every right to build. But for the greedy self interest of the two PLC Kommissioners Grocers who are more worried about their own monopoly on free-range fair-trade organic spinach chips to West Lawrence yuppies, Lawrence taxpayers wouldn't have to pay the legal fees to defend this losing lawsuit.

Great for LJW paper sales and attorneys will have a lot more discretionary income.

Jeanne Cunningham 8 years, 9 months ago

I want Walmart where Walmart wants to be. I agree with those who say that if YOU don't want to shop at Walmart, then don't. Some of us do want to and we don't want to have to drive all the way across town. Some of us know people who would love to have "just" a minimum wage job. NOT everyone can be a doctor or lawyer and make the big bucks. Fighting this is just going to cost all taxpayers - including those of us who don't want to fight it. And, if it takes a new city commission to get it done, I'm hoping that will happen, too.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 9 months ago

now who did not see this coming?? cutny take a breath before you pass out.

trackstar3016 8 years, 9 months ago

just cause you have to drive all the way across town, (boohoo) to get to Walmart dosn't mean we need another one. WE'VE GOT ONE! Why does Wal-Mart need another store? MONEY! that's all their in for! they don't care about the customer, they care about money. Poor you, driving another 5 minutes to get to Iowa. What a genius idea! we've got one, but let's build A BIGGER ONE! that'd be amazing! another 1000 square feet of multi-national corporate crap!

fonz73 8 years, 9 months ago

Hey cdc --- I'm not trying to jump on you or anything, but Dollar General and stores of that nature (which I DO shop at also) are Big Business too. They pay even less an hour than Wal-Mart and prolly don't even OFFER health insurance to their employees. If anyone out there who works at one of these types of stores can tell me I'm wrong, please do.

cutny 8 years, 9 months ago

Awesome. Had they just followed up with one of their "classier" designs, they would've avoided being rejected. But, they had to push it, give us another crappy box and start all over again. F-Walmart. Marion, who the F are you talking to? You told who what? Geezus you are tiresome

trackstar3016 8 years, 9 months ago

control freak-

it's cool man. maybe Kmart's time was ending. but i can still bitch about it. :)

i love america. at least we're not in communist china, or everyone on this board would pretty much be screwed.

KsTwister 8 years, 9 months ago

Cha$$$$$Ching$$$!! It would be so much easier just to remove City Hall,they originally approved it and NOW they say NO and who pays?? We do. Headlines should read: Commission lies, Lawrence dies. I might add I did not like the Walmart idea from the very beginning but legally this City continues to make wrong moves in dealing with them. Maybe it would be less costly for WalMart to help us replace our local commission because they will most surely win and build whatever they want when they do.

ControlFreak 8 years, 9 months ago

Hey, trackstar, I just telling you what it looked like from my experience going there.

Wal-Mart may have had a hand in Kmart's demise, but Kmart was on the way out for a long time.

Sorry about your dad and all, but that's how it was.

Richard Ballard 8 years, 9 months ago

I bet WalMart pays their workers more then any restaurant in Lawrence pays their waitresses. Why not boycott them also?

And how about them fast-food workers earning a "living wage"? Get real!

PS: You always do leave at least a 20% tip for the food service people to live on, right? Even at Micky-D's? Yea right!

rcmodel

werekoala 8 years, 9 months ago

If Lawrence citizens really don't want this Wal-Mart, they won't shop there. And if, as I suspect, they do want it (or more likely are ambivalent), they will.

So to all of you people saying, "We don't want another Wal-Mart!" fine, don't shop there. I try not to myself.

But please, please, please, can we quit trying to use the government to enforce our personal choices on others? Whether it's banning gay marriage or abortion, or Wal-Mart, it's all annoying, and sets dangerous precedents.

packrat 8 years, 9 months ago

When Walmart wins the suit, and it will, I hope that they build another 190,000 sq ft building just to rub it in the noses of the three stooges.

imagold 8 years, 9 months ago

I've yet to find jeans or coats, etc. at a dollar store. Coupons are great if you want to buy the top dollar/name brands. And then they make you buy two cans to get $.25 off. Still more expensive than the store brand.

Have I missed something? Are democrats going to run Wal-Marts out of town on a rail?

werekoala 8 years, 9 months ago

trackstar3016:

Sounds like you don't like Wal-Mart. May I suggest you personally boycott the chain? And while I encourage you to speak out publicly against a business whose practices you disagree with, please stop trying to heavy-hand us all into conformity with your view.

If I want cheap plastic Chinese crap, believe it or not, I have the right to buy it (so long as it's legal). You don't have the right to tell me I can't buy a legal product or set up a legal business; any more than I have the right to force you to buy cheap Chinese crap, or force you to open a business selling it.

Sheesh! I hate it when people try to use the government to make personal choices for people "for their own good".

ControlFreak 8 years, 9 months ago

K-Mart was having problems without Wal-Mart. The reason K-Mart closed was because it was a dirty, ghetto, and dangerous store.

They re-did the store too late to save their image. Besides, Sears owns K-Mart Corp. now because they went bankrupt. Not because of Wal-Mart but because of their business practices.

gerbilsniper,

rationality doesn't work on these sites. The people just wander through in bliss by living in denial.

trackstar3016 8 years, 9 months ago

i'm not saying you don't have the right to buy it. And you most certainly do. At the South Wal-Mart. But do you really need another store on Sixth? I mean really, one is enough. Oh, by the way, i've already boycotted the chain. I've been in one three times, but havn't bought a single item. I went in with friends.

trackstar3016 8 years, 9 months ago

control freak-

dude, that wasn't cool. I've had great memories in Kmart. My dad worked in the pharmacy, and his customers were good people. The employees were good people too, and now they're out of jobs. Kmart was a hell of alot better to its employees that Walmart, and don't try to argue with me there buddy, because I know. This is an argument, but let's not let it get personal people.

ranger73 8 years, 9 months ago

God forbid Dillards or some other large department store coming in...What would Weaver's do?

Either way, whatever happens, someone will not be happy.

werekoala 8 years, 9 months ago

trackstar3016 :

Why do we need 5 Scotch Dry Cleaners in town? Do you want 4 of their locations closed as well? Why do we need a second Cork & Barrel in town? Let's close the one on 9th street? Why do we need 6 commerce bank locations? Let's close 5 of them too!

See where I'm going with this? I guess I don't feel it's anyone's business to regulate how many locations of what merchants are allowed to open where. If the market supports the business, it should be allowed to succeed, assuming they're not harming others. And sorry, but "other people are going to shop there and I don't want them to!" doesn't constitute harm, no matter how bruised your ego may be.

Again, if we really don't need one, it won't make enough money for the company to be profitable. But you know that it will, and that's what has you peeved. Sorry, but that's the breaks, sometimes other people shop where you don't want them to.

I'm proud of you for voting with your dollar, though. Congratulations for boycotting one out of the hundreds of megacorporations that dominate global commerce.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 9 months ago

I totally agree that the city commission needs to go. Completely. We don't need no stinkin' government when we have the lovely folks of Wal-Mart who will gladly tell us how to run this city.

So let's just abolish the city commission and government, and let Wal-Mart make all our decisions.

GOPConservative 8 years, 9 months ago

The zoning laws we have in Lawrence represent the work of hundreds of citizens who volunteered their time and worked through democratic process.

By their actions, it is clear that Wal-Mart has no respect for our citizens, for democratic process, or for our community in general. They have adopted the political ideals of the communist Chinese, who provide most of the crap they sell.

I have not stepped inside their store since they first started suing the City. I understand the store is different now that they enlarged it, but I don't care. I refuse to shop in a store owned by anti-American, commie-lovers, who have consistently tried to undo our democracy.

They have lost at least $20,000 business from me since they first started suing my city. I hope others have or will quit shopping there, too.

Wal-Mart used to promote their products as "Made in America." Their slogan used to be "Buy American." Now, they sell mostly cheap crap made in China with slave labor. The way they treat their American employees is not much better.

Sadly, Wal-Mart is now anti-American, not pro-American as they used to be. They are the major reason for America's massive trade deficit. As China's number one customer, Wal-Mart is the major reason that China has become so rich that Congressman Ryun and other anti-Americans in Congress decided to borrow a trillion dollars from them to support corporate welfare. As a result, American policies can now be dictated by the China, and future generations will see most of their taxes go to the commie-atheists.

As far as I'm concerned, Wal-Mart and the entire Walton family can go to hell along with their communist Chinese partners.

Ace_Ventura 8 years, 9 months ago

Wal-Mart, just leave us alone. Nobody wants you. Quit trying to take over the world. One crappy store at a time.

cdc 8 years, 9 months ago

Also, I should note I know that Dollar stores and all the rest of them are evil too. But you gotta buy TP somewhere. It's just a protest by not shopping at the single largest and most evil corporation in the world. It doesn't mean everyone is going to suddenly make a liveable wage.

Bruce Bertsch 8 years, 9 months ago

To clarify a couple of points...

KMart bought Sears not the other way around.

Governments do have the right to change the rules in the middle of the game. Wal*Mart is not invincible and they are not undefeated in court, they lose these cases as often as they win.

The only positive in Wal*Mart's Lawrence store proposal is that they don't want tax abatement, thus making themselves subject to the living wage. Other than that, there will be no increased revenue, simply revenue moved from one pot to another.

pooter 8 years, 9 months ago

Not only is one on west 6th a great idea I wish wal-mart would buy out the marriott and build one there too.

momof4 8 years, 9 months ago

trackstar, I don't think Walmart is the reason Kmart went out of business in this town. Kmart is the reason. I refused to shop at Kmart. Everytime they advertise a good deal, they never had it in stock. Even in their ads they would acknowledge they wouldn't have enough by putting little disclaimers of "5 per store". Their plan was to get people in the store and do the old bait and switch. I think people got tired of it. There were times I got to the store Sunday morning before the store opened and they were already "sold out".

don_burgess 8 years, 9 months ago

Marion -

Do me a favor and quit signing your stupid blogs with your name. We appreciate the "personalized touch", but we already know that you typed the message in the first place, OK?

FYI - Each message begins with a "posted by" link in case that somehow escaped you.

-this is me thanking you in advance for not being redundant anymore.

Sigmund 8 years, 9 months ago

I wonder if the real estate tax revenues will go up after the site is developed? I wonder how many years of bus subsidies that will pay for? When exactly did Lawrence pass the "living wage?"

quietgirl 8 years, 9 months ago

To all of you who keep saying 'Do we really need another Walmart' or 'Just drive out South' - Why do we have two Dillions and two HyVee stores with 5 minutes of each other? No one seemed to complain when they built the second HyVee or the second Dillons (on the west side). Why not??? Because you are all snobs who think these stores are more 'high fallutin' so it's okay. Get over yourselves!!!!! Sorry for the repeat here BUT you all need to stop pushing personal views onto everyone else.

dthroat 8 years, 9 months ago

I know it is a shame to bring up reality and the facts of this issue have long since been lost by all the furious speeches.

Just so some people remember the facts - The No WalMart rantings were appropriate YEARS ago when the store was first proposed. That argument should have ended when the CITY approved the location and the fact that a WalMart was going to be built.

THEN the city changed the rules and tried to screw the developers. (NOT just wally world). Why do you think the city avoided court "just in time". THEY do NOT want the truth to come out under oath, that they changed their mind based on the new commission.

This is NOT an issue of we want/need/care if another WalMart is built. This is a case of somebody standing up to the city when they try to play by their own rules and change them at will.

Trust me, (I really hate to admit this) Marion did tell us WalMart will win and (unfortunately) he is right. WalMart will win. The only losers in this battle are US. We will be paying the extremely high attorneys fees in a losing battle.

BTW- I personnaly hate Walmart and haven't bought one item in there for years. This is about what the rules are and following them or not. The city did not.

Ace_Ventura 8 years, 9 months ago

I quit shopping at Wal-Mart along time ago. I can't stand the feeling I get when I walk in. The city of lawrence needs to stand up for themselfs!! Its funny how walmart had to spend millions just to "Clean" up and expand the one we already have. You have to buy 2 of everything because one or the other has a defect. Ill stick with my Hy-Vee and stick with the local stores of anything else I need.

estespark 8 years, 9 months ago

I did notice Walmart has significantly raised the bar with it's selection of trendy home accents. Much better than Target's variety.

lunacydetector 8 years, 9 months ago

i knew this thing was going to get dragged out through the next city commission election process. this is the only way the three amigos (who incidentally are all up for re-election) think they have a chance to win again.

hopefully, in this educated town, most people have good common sense and can see through this smoke screen.

they just wanted a rallying cry. personally, i do not care for walmart's business practices, but they are going to win this one and a bunch of lawyers are going to get rich from us taxpayers.

f.y.i. here is a link to the $4 prescription drug plan walmart is offering.

ControlFreak 8 years, 9 months ago

SpeedRacer,

Your attempt at rationalism will not faze us.

Nay, I say! Begone rationality! We will not let you desecrate our Wal-Mart hate!

We will prevail before the almighty rationality!

Confrontation 8 years, 9 months ago

All of those against WalMart should be paying these legal fees. Our roads will continue to be neglected and we'll have to hire even crappier school teachers thanks to the loss of funds. This will happen because everyone wants to protect overpriced junk stores like the Merc and Saffee's. I'm ready for the extra large WalMart. Those on the west side who can't stand its site will just have to move elsewhere. Bring it on!

concernedvoter 8 years, 9 months ago

JOEHAWK and Sigmund have it right. The city made the "rules" and, like it or not, WalMart played by the rules.

concernedparent 8 years, 9 months ago

trackstar3016, I worked at that kmart. From 1997-2000. It wasn't a great job, the bigwigs and management weren't nice people, and there was a bunch of very shady things happening at that particular kmart at the time. I'm not trying to call you out or anything, but it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Walmart is not what put kmart out of business. And there was a huge difference between what I was making and what your dad was making as a pharmacist. Kmart was good to your dad because he was a pharmacist who made good money, not a high school or college student making minimum wage.

werekoala 8 years, 9 months ago

Good post by dthart, which will be ignored.

SpeedRacer 8 years, 9 months ago

I have been reading these Walmart threads ever since this thing started. I don't know how long everyone here has been in Lawrence, but I have been here long enough to remember when there was no Walmart, no Old Navy, no Kohl's, no Target, a small Penny's downtown and a catalog Sears store. Guess where I shopped - Topeka or Kansas City. The local merchants had high prices and otherwise sold stuff I wasn't interested in. Lawrence got none of my money and no sales tax from my purchases. I now do almost 100% of my shopping here because somehow a city commission got elected between the ones dominated by local business owners and the "progressives" that allowed new business in town. Those of you who want to boycott Walmart for "moral reasons" do it, I don't care. Where do you think Target, Old Navy, Kohl's etc. get their stuff? Why do you think the downtown business owners (alot of whom are now retired) live in Alvamar? There is always something for someone to protest, Walmart is the convenient target of the moment. Once this issue is settled in court, then the protesters can switch to something else; the multi-posters seem to show up on every thread to gripe about something, or in the case of one poster, to impress us all with his imagined immense I.Q.

estespark 8 years, 9 months ago

SpeedRacer - although animated - is right.

ControlFreak 8 years, 9 months ago

Like Field's of course. They definitely could not compete with Wal-Mart's poster selection.

Emily Hadley 8 years, 9 months ago

"Listen, I hate the fact that big chains like Wal-Mart take away from local businesses just like everyone else. But the sad fact is that the only people who can afford to shop local are your rich yuppy-types with their $500,000 Alvamar homes and 5-series BMW's who can shop without looking at the price tag. I'm not one of those people."

Not true. Everything has a price tag, ESPECIALLY shopping at Wal-Mart.

If there were no gigantic box stores in Lawrence paying sub-standard wages to sell cheap crap made by more exploited workers overseas, then local businesses could buy in enough quantity to price their goods lower. They could pay their employees more and contribute to more local causes, maybe sponsor a little league team.

When you buy at an international chain, a good chunk of your money goes to their corporate headquarters, never going back into the local economy, as it does with local businesses.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One retail corporation I worked for left Lawrence because, despite making more after overhead (labor, utilities, lease, etc) than any of the competition, they said the location wasn't "profitable" because it was, as are all their stores, expected to send 6% of its GROSS sales to the corporate office. A local business would be exploding at that rate, but it wasn't enough for them to bother with, despite sales always going up.

Wal-Marts open, they hire many full-time workers and set initial prices well below the local competition and below their own standards.

After the store is safely established, they reduce hours below benefit levels, reportedly cutting all 40-hr employees to around 30. This also keeps them from dealing with firings or lay-offs, and demands more productivity from workers just after they become familiar with their jobs. Prices are then raised to the standard levels, and customers who paid so much attention to price at first perhaps don't notice the price increases here and there, thinking they are still saving. That belief is reinforced when the number of local businesses drops.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We can't afford to shop at Wal-Mart. I am poor as dirt. But I try hard with every purchase to find a local retailer that offers what I am looking for before going to the box stores for something that looks like what I want but is really junk.

I want Lawrence to thrive, and I want to be able to buy my bed from a bed store, my utensils from a kitchen store, my oil changes from an auto shop, and my food from a grocery store. I want people with passion to be able to open stores in the future. The local people in all those places are experts with a passion for their career and a financial stake in their business.

What I will never understand about Wal-Mart's clientele is why good ol' boys in labor unions shop there. I think it shows how good Wal-Mart's anti-union camping is--those folks don't even know about it.

Sigmund 8 years, 9 months ago

Fields was put out of business by a WalMart that hasn't been approved?

ControlFreak 8 years, 9 months ago

It's called irony Sigmund.

I was using a local business that just went under because they weren't offering things for sale that people wanted (or needed) to buy, as an excuse to make fun of all those people who say Wal-Mart makes local businesses fail.

ControlFreak 8 years, 9 months ago

Why do people use the * instead of the " for quotations? It's so bizarre.

Sigmund 8 years, 9 months ago

If I buy a toy at WalMart, and you buy that same toy at higher price at a different store, do you think the person who made the toy you bought got paid more?? Do you think the toy at WalMart was made in China while the same toy at a local merchant was not??

janeb 8 years, 9 months ago

Did you buy the ice picks at Walmart?

Richard Ballard 8 years, 9 months ago

Good! I hope they win.

And if the Three Stooges are so concerned about esthetics's, why did they approve building what appears to be a big steel cattle shed for the used car lot on 6th. Street?

And why is the new Crazy Guys Furniture store on Iowa painted Brite Barn Red in a sea of tans & grays and brick facades along that street?

All that's left for him to do now is put back up his Strobe Light and blind old guys like me with poor night vision, just like his old store.

Why didn't he have to turn his store around backward to the street and build a berm so I couldn't see it?

Personally, I'd rather look at a new WalMart store on 6th. street any day!

rcmodel

white_mountain 8 years, 9 months ago

tony88 feel free to proudly buy your toilet paper wherever you want, it's a free country.

And if you manage to convince enough people that Wal*Mart is the devil, then they'll probably go out of business. Good luck to you.

Shelby 8 years, 9 months ago

tony, you've gone TOO FAR and I resent your presence in this forum.

Richard Ballard 8 years, 9 months ago

Yep! Tap water has Floride in it.

It not only protects my teeth, but makes me think much more clearly on important issues like WalMart & the South Lawrence Trafficway.

rcmodel

white_mountain 8 years, 9 months ago

Some of you care more about opposing Wal*Mart than you do about attracting good jobs to Lawrence.

Who cares about where you buy your commodity items such as bread and toilet paper? Wal-Mart efficiently brings it to you at low prices, and you save money. You can then use that extra money you saved to buy specialty / niche items, or lattes, or a ticket to the Bottleneck, or whatever it is about the downtown area that you enjoy most.

Ask yourself this: are our city leaders putting as much emphasis into attracting growth companies and industries (biomed, biofuel & renewable energy, RFID, etc.) into Lawrence as they are in trying to fend off a discount retailer??

This is a university town, but we're not using the university as a magnet to attract high-growth companies and good paying jobs. Instead we're stuck arguing over the completion of a highway south of town and how mom & pop are going to compete against a behemoth.

The big vision for 2030 seems to be "Mini-downtowns". This is very limited for a university town.

The vision should be a "High-tech Lawrence", with plenty of parks, bike trails, and other green space.

LawrenceRes 8 years, 9 months ago

I don't agree with Walmart's ways. However, I do shop there occasionally (some really don't have many options.) I know I'm not doing my part to combat their mistreatment of employees and other major embarassments. But whether we want a second Walmart or not is not really the issue anymore because it will happen. It will just take a little longer and cost us a lot more money in the end. And that is what upsets me. Maybe instead of worrying about how aesthetically pleasing the new store is and how many trees are planted in front of the building, the city should have stood up for the workers of Lawrence and demanded that the Lawrence Walmart store(s) pay their employees a decent hourly wage, provide benefits, and pay over-time. Now, we will still end up with a second Walmart, a lot of money wasted, and their Lawrence employees will be treated like crap.

As for those posters who think there are alternatives to shopping at Walmart... It has never crossed my mind to drive downtown, search forever for a parking spot, and drag my family around for a package of socks, tube of toothpaste, and a pack of batteries, just to come back to my car to find out I'm two minutes late and have already been given a parking ticket! I think Dollar general (or anything else) is comparible to Walmart as far as wages and employee treatment, and they don't have near the merchandise. I prefer Target because it doesn't feel like such a hoedown when I'm in there, but I doubt any of them are much different than Walmart and it seems like they are a little higher priced.

Once again, I don't think two Walmarts are necessary, but I do think it is inevitable. And the city is being unrealistic and wasteful.

Mama 8 years, 9 months ago

I'm looking forward to a second Walmart in Lawrence. Walmart lets people camp in their parking lots for free, you know. Kick butt....more campsites!!!

Sheila Couchman 8 years, 9 months ago

Why would anyone need to dress up to go to a discount store like Target or Walmart in the first place? Good grief! I still like K-Mart the best and shop at the one in Topeka every chance I get. Never realized the one here was "ghetto" or anything like that. Walmart does have unfair pay issues with regard to women and minorities, which is why I choose to avoid them as much as possible.

Chris Phillips 8 years, 9 months ago

Businesses like Wal-Mart, Target, Kohl's, Old Navy, etc..., are big enough and smart enough to do a study to determine whether a city, town, hamlet or whatever location they choose are large enough to support an additional location. It isn't cheap building a new location, stocking it from wall to wall, staffing it, paying utilities etc.. so I don't think even the deep pockets of Wal-Mart are willing to force this issue if in the end their analysis has them coming out without making a profit. If you don't like them...fine, don't shop there. Speak your mind if you wish. When all is said and done, if the rules have been followed, leave it be. If you don't like the rules, get them changed, there's a process in place for that...it's called running for office and pushing your own agenda. Don't think you can get elected pushing that agenda? Why not? Seems to me that if the majority rules and you think the majority would support your agenda you should have no problems. Otherwise, when I go shopping at one of these locations, stay out of my face, because I will have very little patience if you are pushing your complaints AFTER the fact.

fonz73 8 years, 9 months ago

To Emily:

I do agree with you. You are very well spoken, and you made many a good point. I'm just saying that Wal-Mart WILL win, and we're just throwing away money that could be better spent. And who's to say that the local business of today won't be the Big Corporate of tomorrow?

Wal-Mart had to start from somewhere.

But I hear ya.

Sandman 8 years, 9 months ago

My favorite part of all of this is that we are paying an Overland Park attorney to represent the City.

There is not ONE Lawrence attorney good enough to represent our point of view?

$300,000 (and counting) to a Law Firm from a different City. And we're mad at Wal-Mart for pulling money out of the community.

Sigmund 8 years, 9 months ago

I think the City Kommission makes the rules (any rules they are allowed by law to make), and if WalMart, or you, or I, substantially complies with those rules the Kommission cannot just arbitrarily deny the request, even if you are going to compete with the two PLC grocers.

The PLC grocers have a conflict of interest, Wilgrens testimony will be devastating (the contents of his pretrial depo was the reason for his firing), and the Kommission's Kangaroo Court show trial last Tuesday was not sufficient to give any appearance of 'fairness.'

What happened to Food4Less when WalMart opened up? What happened to IGA (the current home of The Merc) when HyVee opened? The weakest grocer in the area folded. What do you think is going to happen to The Merc when the new WalMart opens?

The PLC Kommissioner grocers see the writing on the wall and they are willing to spend ALOT of Lawrence's tax dollars to protect their own incomes.

Shelby 8 years, 9 months ago

estespark is right.

So is SpeedRacer.

ControlFreak 8 years, 9 months ago

Whoever had the idea for Wal-Mart to take over the Marriott, has something there.

I would much prefer a Wal-Mart closer to me. I still think 8th & Pennsylvania is a good idea too.

Shelby 8 years, 9 months ago

tony, lighten up dude. i was just joking around.

Shelby 8 years, 9 months ago

Great Andini: that is a generalization. And it's way true.

fonz73 8 years, 9 months ago

Sandman:

N-i-i-i-i-ce. My laugh for the day.

sublime 8 years, 9 months ago

I say build it on one condition.Give your employees a five dollar cost of living wage.As well as a minimum of a dollar raise every year.Its not like Wal-mart can't afford it.I can't walk out of there without spending at least fifty bucks.(if I'm lucky)The way they stick it to the employees on a regular basis is F.U.B.A.R. I happen to know a young man that works there.He makes less than Nine bucks an hour-----ready for this,he is in management...Come on guys,How greedy can you be?

ControlFreak 8 years, 9 months ago

It's obvious from reading all the interesting and irrational comments from tony on all different forums, that tony88 will never relax or lighten up, ever.

My advice to you, Shelby, is that you ignore tony88. People like that tend to lose steam when no one is paying any attention.

Don't feed the fire, Shelby. You can do it.

I believe in you, man...I believe!

Shelby 8 years, 9 months ago

no, not serious -- which scene?

Andini: for "Star Wars Day at the K", my gf and I made shirts, and on the back of mine it had a picture of David Glass with the caption: "ALL HAIL DARTH WAL-MART"

Though I think they're finally putting something good together...the royals, that is.

Mama 8 years, 9 months ago

Hey tony88 and mrchips....The parking lot may be dirty asphalt, oil stained and diaper littered but you can always go chill on the berms!! :-)

KsTwister 8 years, 9 months ago

Of course, if you really want to make your point(s),take a moment and voice it where it will do more.

newsreader 8 years, 9 months ago

The point isn't if WalMart should be allowed to build or not. This is a capitalist economy, let them build it. If the people of Lawrence dont like it they won't shop there.

janeb 8 years, 9 months ago

Kresgies (sp) owned K-Mart. I didn't know they bought sears.

Shelby 8 years, 9 months ago

Don't let them build another Kmart here.

It will take business away from Dairy Queen. And Kief's. And Naughty but Nice. And Anita's Alterations and Sew Forth. And 84 Lumber. And

wildcat86 8 years, 9 months ago

Have you all realized what a Wal-Mart would do to the traffic at 6th and Wakarusa? Hello?!?! Free State High School sits right across the street from where Wal-Mart wants to build which means that traffic is going to be horrible! Think about it, a high school student isn't that great of a driver and they won't know what to do in that sort of a situation. After school, those kids rush out of there to get home or work and accidents could occur with the traffic going into and out of Wal-Mart. Oh, and you should also realize that Free State only has two entrances to the school parking lot....if one gets blocked off, one sits in line for more then an hour. Plus, the traffic gets worse at the end of each semester because the kids want to get out of there, and speaking from experience because I graduated from Free State a few years ago, there are more accidents when the kids rush and when there is a lot of traffic. And I agree with whoever said that "you all are lazy if you can't drive to the south of town just to shop at Wal-Mart". Why do we even need another Wal-Mart in Lawrence when they just remodeled the one we have into a Super Center? My major concern is for the safety of the Free State students and not economics. You all can just sit there and laugh at this post all you want to, but wouldn't it make more sense to protect your kids then worry about economics? I doubt it because you all are also probably against the city from building Free State as well, which is sad because this city needed another high school; however, Lawrence doesn't need another Wal-Mart when there is a perfectly good one on the South side of town. It's too bad that you all can't drive out there to use it because you are lazy.

Thanks!

Don Zimmer 8 years, 9 months ago

How about spending our time and effort to attract higher paying jobs capitalizing on Lawrence's biggest asset, the University of Kansas instead of money with atty's.

I just finished leasing a former WMT (124,000 SF) to a Pharmaceutical company in NC. I bought the property from WMT who built a new store 5 miles away and redeveloped it into a lab and distribution center to lease to this drug company. This community was devastated when their union mills were shut down but insteas of compaining they are now part of the biggest bio-tech areas in the US.This took cooperation from the government, private industry and NC universities. While this location was not part of the billion dollar campus it was an offshoot of the project generated by the type of jobs the project is creating and attracting.

If interested I will find the web link that tells about their project to share with what KU and Lawrence could accomplish.

shockchalk 8 years, 9 months ago

Sigmund is right on the money........especially his first post. Wal-Mart will build........the question is how much money should Lawrence waste trying to fight it?????

jmconnolly 8 years, 9 months ago

Why doesn't the city take the land through eminent domain?

The city of Hercules in California did this last year. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/05/23/state/n220735D26.DTL&type=politics

After Kelo, this would most likely be allowed.

It makes a lot more sense than continuing this litigation.

concernedparent 8 years, 9 months ago

wildcat86, that sounds almost identical to our problem in Perry/Lecompton with the bridge closing. Our high school students having to drive all the way to Topeka or Lawrence to get to and from school every day. Save your breath, nobody cares.

wildcat86 8 years, 9 months ago

concernedparent, of course nobody cares about their kids these days which is why these stupid liberals are pushing to build this Wal-Mart on the West side of town.

nlf78 8 years, 9 months ago

Walmart will win because the city commission screwed up. They approved it originally and now keep changing their mind. Probably after they heard from all their Walmart boycotting friends. When they build the Walmart on 6th St, I'll shop there just to upset everyone who doesn't want it there. I, like the majority of people in this city, can't afford to shop in our local stores. I need to buy everything cheap so I can afford the outrageous housing costs in this town. And I know I could move somewhere else, but I choose not to. I choose to shop at the Walmart and put up with the "upper class" people who seem to have taken over this town!!

Confrontation 8 years, 9 months ago

So, it's okay for LHS students to deal with the Louisiana/19th St. intersection, but the Free State kids are too dumb to handle 6th & Waky? That Lousiana/19th St. intersection is a lot more dangerous.

concernedparent 8 years, 9 months ago

Isn't it going to be at the intersection just past of 6th and Wak though? To the West? Where they just built that new street that goes to all the new houses that sit to the north? I'm just curious cuz thats what I heard.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 9 months ago

"When they build the Walmart on 6th St, I'll shop there just to upset everyone who doesn't want it there."

Such a mature attitude.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 9 months ago

"The more Wal-Marts the fewer choices,the more under paid and/or unemployed american workers = more dough for the chinese government"

Richard Heckler 8 years, 9 months ago

Wal-Mart alone is China's eighth-largest trading partner. It accounts for over 10 percent of our annual trade deficit with China, with over 70 percent of Wal-Mart products made in China.

If Wal-Mart's size is a problem, its policies are a threat. Wal-Mart is the model "low-road" corporation in the global economy. Its efficiency is celebrated, but its exploitation is caustic. The average pay of a Wal-Mart employee is $8.23 per hour, or an average yearly income of $14,000-not enough to lift a family out of poverty. Wal-Mart is infamous for requiring workers to work overtime off the books. It's been cited for locking workers in plants overnight. The company has been hauled into court for discriminating against female employees. And it is viciously, rabidly anti-union, crushing any attempt by its workers to organize to gain a fair share of the profits they help generate.

But Wal-Mart doesn't merely follow the low road; it drives its suppliers and its competitors into the same race. When Wal-Mart comes to town, it purposefully wipes out small mom-and-pop stores, leaving small towns looking like they were hit by a neutron bomb-buildings intact, but people gone. Wal-Mart also undercuts big competitors that have unions and pay decent wages and benefits. They must slash wages, cut back on benefits or hang it up.

Given its size in the United States, Wal-Mart is a major force in driving wages down and forcing cutbacks in benefits. It is a central reason why we have an economy in which CEO salaries are up, stocks are up, but wages are down.

wildcat86 8 years, 9 months ago

I wasn't saying that the Free State kids are dumb and can't handle the intersection at 6th and Wakarusa; the LHS kids are just in as much danger as the Free State kids are now. I'm saying that by putting the Walmart in it would make the intersection more dangerous for the Free State kids. Wal-Mart just needs to stop pushing the issue of building another one in Lawrence because Lawrence could use something else other then a second Wal-Mart. Lawrence isn't as big as Topeka or KC so there is no need for another Wal-Mart.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 9 months ago

"The average pay of a Wal-Mart employee is $8.23 per hour, or an average yearly income of $14,000-not enough to lift a family out of poverty. Wal-Mart is infamous for requiring workers to work overtime off the books."

THis has been debunked before, not that I am a Wal Mart or Big BOx fan, however in a debate you must debate with fact. A 40 hour week for annual is 2080 hours times $8.23 is $17,118, 3 grand more, and then the overtime you stated. Please be honest.

Then there is the "cost" to the community. How many times has Lawrence been taken to court? The City "leaders" should be publically humiliated at their clearly whimpy, underhanded and misleading statments of before.

If they didn't want the Wal Mart and it was the way the community wanted it, what is the beef. In a "republic" the mob rules.

In this Walmart case in Lawrence, the MOB was ignored.

SOme elected officials need to be recxalled for illegal activity and outright misrepresentation and misappropriation of city tax monies.

The Elected Kommision needs to be investigated for this level of schacanary.

runningscooter 8 years, 9 months ago

I'm proud of the fact that my community leaders are saying no to Wal-Mart. I realize that a town must have businesses, but I think first and foremost we should be thinking about our neighborhoods and what is truly best for them. I know I wouldn't want a huge store build basically in my backyard as it will be for many people if Wal-Mart is allowed to go in. I say if the city wants another Wal-Mart, put it down on the SLT which is also zoned for a box store where it won't be right in the middle of neighborhoods and across the street from a school.

I teach at LHS and I can tell you it's crazy when our kids are coming to and from school. It wouldn't matter how fancy the streets were in terms of stoplights and such. I can't imagine adding traffic from a Wal-Mart. Scary.

I'm proud to see that 3 of our commissioners are thinking of the average citizen, not the rich businessmen like Newsome and Compton.

Sigmund 8 years, 9 months ago

It is irrelevant whether WalMart gives away free drugs or pays minimum wages. This debate is about zoning. The City Kommissioners violated their own rules (to protect the PLC grocers), WalMart will sue, Lawrence taxpayers will pay HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of DOLLARS (or a couple of roundabouts and several months of Bus Company welfare), WalMart will win and the PLC Kommissioners can make plans on having a going out of business sale.

Happy happy joy joy!

Sigmund 8 years, 9 months ago

shadower, unlikely in our civil court system. Generally in American Justice both winners and losers pay their own attorneys. Recently the Republicans offer a form of tort reform (in an effort to reduce frivolous lawsuits) which would require losers to pay winners legal fees. You can guess how far that got with the trial attorney dominated Democratic party.

justthefacts 8 years, 9 months ago

Ordering the other side to pay legal fees (usually) only happens when (a) some statute provides that it's authorized or required for the winning side to get that too or (b) the losing party was SO wrong that they should not have even fought in court.

In this instance, it is a given (in my informed opinion) that sigmund is right; Walmart has the law on their side 110%, so they will win any law suit. Like Wallmart, or hate them - doesn't matter in this instance. The fight to allow them in or not was decided before the current office holders took over. Everything that has happened after that decision was made has been a stall tactic and/or ignoring the concept of legally vested property rights. The past council and zoning provisions allowed the store to go forward. Once that approval was given and the developers relied upon the approval (got started) the rules cannot be (legally) changed in midstream.

This store going in at this site cannot legally be prevented. The current commission is not preventing Wallmart from going in eventually. They're just forestalling it and meanwhile spending lots of tax payer dollars on legal fees etc.

Like Walmart or hate it; The only way to prevent the store from going in is for the world to end or the developers to simply give up & bow to the wishes of this particular commission. I am not a gambler, but I would bet next year's salary that we'll see a Walmart at this site eventually.

justthefacts 8 years, 9 months ago

And after the law suit is won by Walmart (or another settlment is reached) & if/when Wallmart does get built at this site, then we can see what tax payers want; people can "vote" with their shopping dollars. If enough people truly do not shop there, the store will fold. If enough people shop there to make it profitable, it will stay in business.

So the majority of citizens will win - with economic impact. Welcome to democracy 101.

Meanwhile, the city commission is spending money (do an open record request to find out how much so far) to fight a law suit they cannot legally win. How is that serving the general public?

Sigmund 8 years, 9 months ago

The most ironic and telling thing about this mess; Did the Kommission pick a locally owned Law Firm to spend Lawrence taxpayers money with?

Umm, no. They picked a evil Johnson County, Overland Park Law Firm. So much for principles! Maybe no one would take Boog dollars? http://www.lathropgage.com/people/bio.aspx?bioid=7977

fed_up 8 years, 9 months ago

I hate Wal-Mart, but it's their loss if they fail, and their right to try if they've met the guidelines set for them.

When Cracker Barrell wanted to set up at the outlet mall by I-70, City commission refused to let them put up a sign big enough to attract customers from the highway, so they didn't come. They could have attracted other businesses to that area. Now, that whole thing sits, not very old, but and abandoned eye sore.

A business owner cannot decide if they want a smoking or non smoking establishment, even though they are the ones financially at risk. Someone might get cancer in 20 years, but the homeless crack head sitting next to you can pull out their gun hiding in their pants, thanks to the conceal and carry law, and blow your head off!!

Any homeless person can stand on the street and beg, but if you want to advertise door to door or put out fliers to residences, you have to get a license, or pay the big bucks for advertising.

You are supposed to be responsible enough to choose a daycare provider that jumps through hoops to get an actual "license" and feeds your child lunch + 2 snacks per day, fun learning activities and is required by law to let your child play outside for at least an hour per day until they are 12 years old, but we allow principals to yank our child's recess down to 15 minutes per day, take away any class activities that might be fun (like the halloween parades (which Topeka still has), fundraisers with cake walks and chili dogs or pancake feeds because they're bad for you) and let them put every child in the district on a diet whether they need it or not, even though in order for your child to get that cookie from the a la carte menu, the parent had to sign a permission form in the first place!

I can't turn onto my street to get to my own house anymore thanks to the road construction, but KU gets a whole new stop light that holds up traffic all of the time! Hell, I can't even park on my street anymore until after 5pm, even though I could when I bought it!

My taxes are going up AGAIN, to give raises to teachers, and most deserve it, but we had no say in how much, or which teachers get the raises. So, even the crappy ones get a pay increase. Funny thing is, the school fees increased not too long ago too, and my kids still can't get on the bus unless I pay $520 for both kids even though the bus stops right in front of my house every day to pick up the kids around the corner that ride for free!

We have no say in what happens in this town anymore! Are we even part of the United States? I wish I could sell my house for what the county/city says I could, then I could afford a really really nice house in cow town somewhere!

I hate Wal Mart but the City Commission needs to wake up & give a voice back to the people that live here! I hope that the next election gives them a "reality check" instead of a "bonus check" in their wallets!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 9 months ago

Do you have a point based on any actual facts or realities, fed_up?

Sigmund 8 years, 9 months ago

I thought the most important thing was to preserve local business? If the PLC want a choice, fine, no problemo. Lathrop Gage is a great firm as are a number of other local firms. But they would deny Lawrence those same choices and all of the benefits a new WalMart (or other national retailer) mainly to enforce their "principles" on the rest of us. This denies the freedom of choice for Lawrence residence. I don't mind their principles, its just when they make you and me pay for their principles that gets me upset. Legal fees are just the beginning how much in real estate taxes do you think Lawrence is foregoing?

Especially when it is obvious that their "principles" are little more than an attempt to protect their own commercial enterprise. Seriously, it is disgusting.

fed_up 8 years, 9 months ago

The point is that they do what they want, when they want based on their own personal gains. We pay for their decisions as tax payers and business owners, and they don't care! We are all part of The Republic of Lawrence now, and I just wondered if this was even part of the "free country" that used to be known as The United States where the people that built the cities, paid the taxes, and provided the services and goods used to account for something and have a say in matters concerning said city.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 9 months ago

"Meanwhile, the city commission is spending money (do an open record request to find out how much so far) to fight a law suit they cannot legally win."

No one knows how the court will rule on this. If it was a sure win for Wal-Mart, they would never have agreed to the now-aborted settlement-- nor would the city have done so if it were a sure win for the city.

If there is a ruling for Wal-Mart in this case, it's because previous city and planning commissions have already let the genie out of the bottle by ignoring city zoning regulations, as determined by the community-wide planning process called Horizon 2020.

The issue before the court will mainly determine whether the Genie can be put back in the bottle. Can the zoning for that intersection be put back to what H2020 envisaged as appropriate at that intersection, directly bordering Free State HS?

Or is that decision better taken in New York and Bentonville, Arkansas for the benefit of Wal-Mart stockholders?

Sigmund 8 years, 9 months ago

It is my understanding that the current zoning was in place when Lawrence USD purchased that land, Horizon 2020 was/is nothing more than a proposed planning document, not a zoning ordinance, and in any event variances are granted for zoning ordinances all the time.

Why? Because the future is unpredictable and variances allow adaptation to changing circumstances. Once WalMart acted upon that variance and the PLC Kommissioners changed the rules to their financial benefit, Lawrence taxpayers are going to have to pay a VERY HIGH PRICE for their illegal acts. Are you more interested in denying WalMart shareholders legal income for investing risk capital that you would make Lawrence taxpayers pay the price for the PLC greed and your hatred?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 9 months ago

"your hatred?"

Who is it that's operating on hatred here, Sigmund?