Archive for Friday, October 27, 2006

Hillary bewitches the competition

October 27, 2006

She drives everybody wild. She makes men do dumb things. She makes women say stupid things. She's the straw that stirs the drink.

It's all about Hillary.

Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

She's got a nobody opponent in her Senate race, and he can grab the front page just by saying she had plastic surgery. This from a guy who couldn't catch flies with manure, but he fires cheap shots at her and suddenly he's getting face time. He says he didn't say it. He probably thinks he didn't. Gremlins are her friend.

It's all her fault, but we shouldn't blame her. She can't help it if she has bewitched the whole country, pols especially. Newt Gingrich has fallen hard for her. Maybe that's why she's wearing a cross - to ward off the evil spirits.

She claimed Karl Rove was "obsessing about me" after George Bush's brain predicted she would win the Democratic nomination for president in 2008, then lose the general election because of "her personal philosophy and her brittleness."

Hey, give the guy a break. Rove can't stop himself. Neither can her Democratic rivals. Barack Obama is the latest one to go bonkers. A guy who served in the Illinois legislature and two years in the U.S. Senate now wants to be president. But it's all about her - he smells the doubts on whether she can win, so he figures, why not me? There are lots of good reasons - experience, for one - but what sense is there in trying to talk sense to a man under this woman's spell?

None. Just look at John Kerry. He almost became president two years ago by trying to stick to the middle of the road, but he's so haunted by her front-runner status that he's now a wild-eyed liberal. It's all about her. She slides to the center, so he's forced to move left, into the desperate arms of the wackadoo wing.

You know she's enjoying watching him twist. Kerry was so frightened of Clinton's star power in 2004 that he tried to prevent her from speaking at the party convention. After protests made him look like a cad, he relented and said she could spend five minutes introducing her husband. She spoke for 11 and stole the show.

Then there's poor Al Gore, consigned to the political wilderness and Grade B moviemaking. He's been grumbling that he's the rightful heir to Dem leadership. After all, he was the vice president to the guy she was only married to. He doesn't get it. She's an alpha female. You'd think by now he'd know his place.

But no whole family has been driven to distraction like the Edwardses, with husband John and wife Elizabeth both cursed by Hillary's spell. John Edwards has practically moved to Iowa, calculating that his only chance of getting the '08 nomination is to beat her there. It must drive him nuts that she doesn't even have to show up, sending Bubba to wow the pig farmers.

And Elizabeth Edwards proved Hillary can make women as crazy as men. "We both went to law school and married other lawyers, but after that we made other choices. I think my choices have made me happier. I think I'm more joyful than she is," Elizabeth Edwards said. She apologized, but only after insisting she never said it, it was taken out of context, blah-blah-blah.

Damn demons again.

Face it. We are bewitched. It's all about Hillary.

Michael Goodwin is a Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist for the New York Daily News.

Comments

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

They said the same thing about Dean. Although I think it may take awhile longer to come to grips with the mistaken crush on Hillary.

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

I can't help but think that a woman who would stay with a man with such questionable character, after one of the most publicized and scrutinized incidences of marital infelidelity since male marital infedelity became a big deal, cares more about appearances and political expediencies than she does about substance and ethics.

Or she could just be a sucker. Either way, not a situation I'm too comfortable with.

Confrontation 8 years, 2 months ago

Jonas: Hillary had more to gain by sticking it out with Bill. It was a more visable way to get into her own political seat. If that makes her weak, then what about all these women who stay with cheating men and have nothing to gain from it? A huge amount of men cheat, and a huge amount of women stay with these jerks. I applaud Hillary for using him to gain power. Afterall, he deserved to be used.

Janet Lowther 8 years, 2 months ago

John Kerry tried to convince people he was middle of the road, but his record said otherwise.

Hillary, no doubt is an alpha b*tch, but hasn't anyone noticed that there hasn't been a sitting Senator elected president since John Kennedy? And not another one before that going clear back to Harding. . .

G.W. Bush: Governor Clinton: Governor G.H.W. Bush: Vice President Reagan: Governor Carter: Governor Ford: Vice President Nixon: Vice President L. Johnson: Vice President Kenedy: Senator Eisenhower: Military (NATO commander) Truman: Vice President F.D. Roosevelt: Governor Hoover: Cabinet Secretary Coolege: Vice President Harding: Senator Wilson: Governor Taft: Cabinet Secretary T. Roosevelt: Vice President Mckinley: Governor Cleveland: President B. Harrison: Senator Cleveland: Governor Arthur: Vice President Garfield: Congressman Hayes: Governor Grant: Military A. Johnson: Vice President Lincoln: Congressman Buchanan: Ambassador Pierce: Senator Fillmore: Vice President Taylor: Military Polk: Governor Tyler: Vice President W. Harrison: Territorial Governor/Military Van Buren: Vice President Jackson: Military J.Q. Adams: Cabinet Secretary Monroe: Ambassador Madison: Cabinet Secretary Jefferson: Vice President J. Adams: Vice President Washington: President of the Constitutional Convention

I've listed the last public office of each of the presidents before their coming to office.

Needless to say, many of the Vice Presidents had been Senators or Congressmen before becoming president (Lyndon Johnson and Harry Truman come to mind) but only FOUR sitting Senators have managed to win the Presidency in all US's history.

So why do people keep taking Senators seriously as presidential candidates?

shockchalk 8 years, 2 months ago

You're right 75x55, it's official. We'll be fortunate if she does run for president because she lose for sure and cost Dems the presidency.

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

scenebooster: Yes, but a woman who would stay with Bush, that's a whole 'nuther cup of tea, there. I don't think I have the energy to even get started.

Confrontation: See, the women with nothing to gain staying with abusive or adulterous husbands, I pity them. I pity them because where they are in their life makes them too weak, deluded or short-minded to make the choice that everyone, including themselves, knows to be the best for them. I say that in the kindest way I possibly can, but it is the truth, at least as I see it.

For Hillary, however, I agree with what you said. That's really the point I made. Maybe I just have a more noble view of marriage, I guess. At any rate, I just find politically beneficial marriages (when that's the sole motivating factor) to be a little corrupted. Maybe not a little.

Bone777 8 years, 1 month ago

I can't wait to see if Hillary gets in office, who will be spending time under the desk in the Ovum Office, I mean Oval Office.

Can you imagine Bill having free reign to do what ever he wants in the White House. No room, or intern, will be safe from his escapades.

Bone777 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm not a Re'pug'lican, I just think Bill disgraced the office and made it difficult for me to describe to my kids that the President is a person with impeccable moral character.

If you can argue with that, you are kidding yourself. That has nothing to do with partisanship. It has to do with using your freaking head.

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

Bone777: Maybe it just has to do with the media coverage. Or do you really think Bill was the first president to get some on the side play?

Bone777 8 years, 1 month ago

Hell no, I don't thing W has impeccable character, but he is atleast sharp enough to keep us guessing, like many of the others in the past. Your welcome for laugh.

I like how some people get so blinded by their party affiliations that they try to justify the worst of acts. I'm not really interested in who ranks last or second to last in the presidential greatest list. I was just stating the facts. Slick Willie's, not so slick with his willie.