Archive for Wednesday, October 25, 2006

3 apprehended in manhunt near school

Police led on brief car, foot chase

October 25, 2006

A Lawrence Police officer escorts a man to a squad car as other officers stand by after conducting a search in the alley between the 900 blocks of Connecticut and New York streets. Three men were taken into custody Tuesday morning after they ran from police.

Lawrence Police combed a neighborhood just east of downtown Tuesday morning after three men who had tried to break into a vehicle fled from officers first in a car and then on foot.

Police were able to round up all three suspects in less than an hour. The men were all from Leavenworth, police spokesman Sgt. Dan Ward said.

It all began about 10:30 a.m. when an officer was sent to check on a report of a vehicle burglary in progress in the 700 block of East Ninth Street, Ward said. When the officer arrived, three men climbed into a white Chevrolet Cavalier and drove away with the officer in pursuit, Ward said.

The car chase ended a short distance away in the 1000 block of New Jersey Street, where the three men bailed out of the car and ran away.

The police activity attracted the attention of some workers fixing a house in the 1000 block of Connecticut Street. One of the suspects was caught a short distance away.

Workers said they saw police cars driving through the area and that a search dog was brought into the action.

The search area was near New York School, 936 N.Y. No school officials were available late Tuesday afternoon to say whether the school was locked down or other precautions were taken.

Police determined the Cavalier had been stolen, Ward said. No other information was available Tuesday.

Comments

redfred 8 years, 2 months ago

Good thing LKPD responded to the crime and not DGSO. DGSO is not allowed to chase "bad guys"!

Nikki May 8 years, 2 months ago

The school was locked down. They should just ask a parent if the school had a lock down. I heard from a parent there that it was.

jeffds01 8 years, 2 months ago

I thought we only had to worry about the people from topeka....haha

Sunflower614 8 years, 2 months ago

These three thugs broke into my car yesterday during their "little visit" to our fair city, and stole an expensive stereo system. I went down to LPD to report it, and lo and behold-they had just caught these losers breaking into another car- i left the police station with my car stereo, and these bozos in jail- hope you're there for a long time, dont come back to Lawrence, and way to go to law enforcement- justice is served!! Karma prevails!!

Kontum1972 8 years, 2 months ago

11worth...deres some massive inbreeding there...home of the RAZOR WIRE...DAT PLACE GIVES ME THE MASSIVE CREEPS....TAKE A RIDE DOWN DELAWARE STREET....no wonder Lewis & Clark didnt hang out there....they stayed across the river...

the town elders chose the prison instead of the university LoL...Duh!

Confrontation 8 years, 2 months ago

Maybe Wayne Simien could do a public service announcement and encourage Leavenworth to keep its criminals at home.

justsomewench 8 years, 2 months ago

but delaware street is nice enough for fine dining, yessiree.

hockmano 8 years, 2 months ago

Like every town Leavenworth has its problems.Topeka has it's problems and Lawrence has it's set of problems. The only difference is Lawrence spends alot more time sweeping their's under the rug and blaming everyone else for it. I doubt that people in Topeka give a rats you know what as to how we feel about them.I think all three towns are decent places to live. Maybe it depends less on the people around you and more on what you make of it.

dek 8 years, 2 months ago

differen Delaware st, there slick.....Kontum is talking about Leavenworth..........

LocalYocal 8 years, 2 months ago

What is that supposed to mean redfred...who do you think is in that photo??? A bunch of dgco deputies. Your an idiot...

mommy3 8 years, 2 months ago

Leavenworth sucks. Their school systems sucks, their PD suck. Just watch the weather this winter, Leavenworth is always the last school district to call school off, sometimes they don't, even after all the other schools do. My husband is from Leavenworth, and he likes to joke and say it's because the crime rate goes WAY up if they call school off!

boomersooner4ever 8 years, 2 months ago

..man, this town is full of town bashing, hahahaha. I like to read everyones posts.

Leprechaunking13 8 years, 2 months ago

no mommy3 I'm afraid that Lawrence is usually the last one to call school off, if at all. and no leavenworth is a decent place to live and topeka sure as hell isn't a decent place to live it isn't even an ok place to live TOP CITY SUCKS

mommy3 8 years, 2 months ago

I haven't spent allot of time in Topeka, so I can't so anything about that. However, I have spent a great deal of time in Leavenworth, and it is a very corrupt town. I don't think it is the worst one out there, but it is pretty darn bad. My husbands Grandparents (who currently live in LV) had to move to a different part of town, because the street they have lived on for 26 years was turning into the hood. Her car was keyed, rocks thrown through the windows, yard decorations stolen, the list goes on and on. these are elderly people that they are doing this to. Grandma's family has been in LV for 100 years. It's turning into a sad place. Parts are great, but most of it sucks. I grew up in McLouth, and LV was where my parents went to shop. I was so happy when Bonner Springs opened a price chopper, and a decent Wal-mart. Anyway, LV has great things about it, and some great people, but you have a huge amount of people there, and a whole lot of nothing to do. My husband can tell you stories of dirty cops that would make you sick. I know most towns have their problems, but LV ranks pretty low on my list of places I want to visit.

Sunflower614 8 years, 2 months ago

Hockmano- I have to disagree with you, having lived in Lawrence since 1966- I dont think we "shove things under the rug", nor blame others for problems in town- just take a look at the statistics, and you will see, that indeed, the vast majority of crimes are perpetuated by folks from topeka and kansas city. You probably are right about folks in topeka not caring much about we think- thats fine- they (and other surrounding cities) can keep their hoodlums in their own town- Lawrence is seen as "easy pickings" by many of these sociopaths- and its wonderful to see (as in yesterday's developments) that it aint so!! Not sure where you live, but I believe, that yes, in fact, it does matter "what kind of people" populate your town- Lawrence's history has never been one of sitting passively when people's rights are threatened.

memphis 8 years, 2 months ago

If everyone out there would go to work and quit blaming their deficiencies on everyone else, maybe the world wouldn'tsit around and blame other towns for our problems. Hoodlums and psychos are everwhere, mind your business and give your family a little more love and caring, someday it might make a difference.

a2thek 8 years, 2 months ago

Its nice to see the LPD not in a picture with their handguns drawn trigger happy. May Marsha Mace rest in peace. THese guys where low life thugs and they just handcuffed all of them. Marsha pulls a gun out and the LPD are not trained into dealing with talking the gun out of her hand but rather shoot first and ask ?'s later. I am a little bit paranoid that LPD could shoot you and say later that you were shooting at them. I dont think Marsha shot at them, does anybody know if all the bullets were accounted for in her gun and if not why have the LPD burried all the info on that and it was never really addressed other than "yep" she shot at us. Well how would you ever know that if the LPD never came out with anything about the bullets. I knew Marsha and I believe I could of talked the gun out of her hand to 2 seconds. Sorry to change the subject not related to this particuler article but the whole Marsha Mace thing really pisses me off and are we really protected here in Lawrence.

Also in regards to LW, this is a prison town surrounded by criminals locked up, do we expect that much more out of its people than what occurred today.

timebomb66 8 years, 2 months ago

MEMPHIS_ My wife phoned me yesterday to tell me about a chase in front of our house at 10th and New Jersey. These Leavenworth thugs ran through our yard. I have lived in and loved Lawrence since 1989. I was raised and work in Topeka. Bad town. These incidents are always spawned by some punk a$$ jerks from the surrounding areas. Its a fact. Im just glad my wife was safe and the NY school was locked down. Go away.