Archive for Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Baldwin girl bitten when petting dog

October 24, 2006

A 7-year-old Baldwin girl was hospitalized after being bitten on the face and arm by a dog at the Maple Leaf Festival in Baldwin, Baldwin Police Chief Mike McKenna said.

It happened around 2 p.m. Sunday near Sixth and High streets when the girl asked to pet a mixed-breed dog and the dog attacked her.

McKenna said the girl required 35 stitches and may need plastic surgery.

McKenna said the dog had been taken to a local animal hospital for observation Monday and it wasn't known whether the owner would be cited. The dog was on a leash, he said.

Comments

Leprechaunking13 8 years, 6 months ago

its true in their insticts somewhere is a killer, they're pack animals for crying out loud even the nicest most gentle dog that hasn't bit anyone ever could snap and bite the hell out of a little girl, it is probably true that something happened with kids to this dog when it was younger, I feel bad for this child but this happens all too often and people don't learn from it ever, again EVERYONE involved in this is to blame not just the dog or the dog owners(or dogsitters) but all partie, maybe we should slap the parents with child abuse for not watching out for their childs safety with a strange dog.

Leprechaunking13 8 years, 6 months ago

Too bad that the owners were probably told that this is a social animal and gets along with people and animals from the humane society, so there probably was something that happened to it when it was younger. Still the blame should be on everyone involved, the girl just already got her punishment.

betti81 8 years, 6 months ago

Katara, you said it. I have an extremely friendly dog, but it still makes me nervous when people want to pet her. I don't think for a second she would bite anyone, but I definitely grip her leash tighter and get ready to pull. (Also do this to help reduce the massive licking the person is about to receive). I wonder if there is more to this story. Did the dog growl? Did it just attack? If it just attacked, there may be something wrong with it. Poor girl. I, too, hope someone helps her overcome her fears (should they develop).

prioress 8 years, 6 months ago

Sad, and good reminder not to trust dogs too much (or humans, as Mark Twain once seid.)

Confrontation 8 years, 6 months ago

I hate it when people have their dogs on really long leashes and let them go up to people on the street. I don't want to be near your smelly dog and definitely don't want to pet it. I don't hate animals, but I don't know you or your dog (although there is a resemblence between the two of you). This happens on Mass Street pretty often. Keep your dogs on a short leash, or risk having yourself or your dog punched. If a dog barks and lashes out at me, then I will make sure it won't do it to anyone else. People need to use common sense and stopping acting like they can train their dogs for every situation.

Katara 8 years, 6 months ago

Well, thanks!

I was thinking the same thing when my family & I went to the Ren Fest on the last weekend.

We were watching the joust and there was a big dog who was hiding under his owner's seat. One of the Ren Fest guys was going up & down the rows. He stopped by the man with the dog. The dog did not like the Ren Fest guy one bit and was growling and barking. Then it went back under the bench & cowered there.

The owner just kind of laughed it off but the dog clearly was not happy there. On top of the dog having a very heavy coat and looking very overheated, there were all these unfamiliar strangers wandering around and invading its space.

tarin 8 years, 6 months ago

leprechaunking. Not sure of your logic here.. Or if you understood what I was saying. (I posted earlier.) Apologies for not being more clear. But I am in agreement with you that there was blame for this incident.. (Or at least a terrible lack of judgement.) on everyone involved. EXCEPT the dog or the child.

The reality, despite histrionics on both sides,(Not suggesting that anyone has been hysterical.:-) is that people are going to take dogs and kids out in the world. It is to be hoped that education and judgement will help both parties to enjoy the world with more safety. Wouldn't it be nice if someone offered a temperament test and/or educational course for dogs and owners) to take voluntarily? The motivation for which, (in addition to just because it would be fun to do with your dog and the right thing to do besides.) Would be something for the dog to wear that meant that he is a good citizen and perhaps allowed more places? If anyone knows of such a thing. I would like to find out about it.

Katara 8 years, 6 months ago

Ugh, I didn't think I'd have to clarfiy my statements.

It is okay for dogs to go out with their owners on walks, and other dog-friendly events (such as a no-leash park). Dogs certainly can get socialization there.

A big crowd of people event such as the Maple Leaf festival and the Ren Fest are not appropriate places for your dog. Those places are huge crowds of people doing all sorts of unpredictable things.

It is not fair to the dog to bring to a place like that. You are simply expecting too much out of the poor animal.

It is not fair to the people to bring a dog to such an event. Bites/or attacks like this happen in these type of crowds. The girl asked permission to pet the animal. The people gave it. Is everyone now supposed to ask if the person with the dog actually owns the dog? The parents are to blame for not teaching their child common sense?

The child had the common sense to ask permission before attempting to pet the animal. I'm sure her parents taught her to ask before petting an animal and I'm sure that the parents expected that the people who brought the dog to the festival would know how their dog would react. It is a reasonable expectation.

carolannfugate 8 years, 6 months ago

There is more than one factor here. Did the Child's Parent's teach the kid how to approach a dog? Were they even there? It isn't about trusting the animal as much as using common sense.

tarin 8 years, 6 months ago

I agree with you, trinity that there are plenty of bad pet owners. I just disagree with your statistics of a dozen to one. The bad ones are just more noticeable. And sorry, forgive me for saying so, but you do come off as if not a dog hater, at least someone who is just a wee bit intolerant. If you can't get into your dogs head. You shouldn't have one. And if you don't understand other people being able to do it.. at least admit the possibility that some might know if a companion animal enjoys being "dragged" to events. If a dog owner is responsible and the dog well behaved and gentle. It won't be a problem for you. I have a big problem with the other kind too.. ( It's safe to guess that they cause me and my good dog, more trouble than they do you.) I stick by what I said earlier.

tarin 8 years, 6 months ago

This shocked me as most people with a pet on a leash at an event at least know the animal well enough to judge if it can be petted or not. The problem, for heaven's sake.. isn't pets at an event. It is the strange owner who this poor child was unfortunate enough to encounter. The little girl is, of course in no way responsible. She did everything right and she is only a baby. This terrible thing should never have happened to her. The owner should be made to pay through the nosey for medical expenses, professional counseling.. the works.. and if this person is anything of a human being they will do so. If not, mandatory serious penalties. I am a responsible pet owner and anything my dog does, I own up to. Not that I have ever had that problem as I train and know my dog. We go to events that allow pets because he enjoys seeing people and being petted and my enjoyment and reward as a good pet owner is the ability to take my dog with me. This sounds like it was a serious attack. The dog that did this should never be allowed in public again under any circumstances.. whatever that takes.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 6 months ago

I agree with you for once, OTTR.

Don't people teach their kids anything anymore? My mother taught me to NEVER go up to a strange dog and try to pet it. And by strange dog, I mean one that doesn't know you.

Even the most gentle of dogs can have unpredictable behavior around people they don't know.

trinity 8 years, 6 months ago

here ya go carolann-"the girl asked to pet a mixed-breed dog and the dog attacked her." just so's you don't have to scroll back up&reread.

apparently, some adults were around; parents or dog owners.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 6 months ago

poor baby, hope she gets all the help she will need to help her with the fear. It is just to bad this happenned

Leprechaunking13 8 years, 6 months ago

why are all of you people saying to put the dog down, you don't even know the full story of what happened, how do you know the girl didn't pet the dog wrong and provoke the dog without even knowing it. "KILL THE DOG" you people are sick and inhumane maybe parents should teach kids about animals and the fact that THEY ARE ANIMALS, THEY BITE SOMETIMES. Use your heads people, incase you didn't know it's that lump that's 3 feet above your a**

geppetto 8 years, 6 months ago

hmmm. I don't know about this one. I feel that dog owner must know their dog. If you know your dog doesn't like to be petted, then don't let people pet your dog. I trust my dog and when people ask me to pet him, I always tell them to be prepared to be licked and kissed. If you have a ice cream in your hand then forget about it.

It is sad for the little girl to be hurt physically but now she will be scare of dogs forever. It is something you don't forget. I hope the dog won't be put to sleep.

Leprechaunking13 8 years, 6 months ago

which is why you tried to make a comment on the article right?

Katara 8 years, 6 months ago

I don't understand why people insist on bringing their pets to events that have lots of unfamiliar people. It is just an accident waiting to happen.

It is not fair to the animal nor the people at the event.

I agree. mommaeffortx2. I hope she gets some help so she doesn't end up having a fear of dogs.

trinity 8 years, 6 months ago

tarin do you realize that the owner of the dog that bit the girl at maple leaf likely said pretty much exactly the same things that you just did??

nah i'm with katara-i'm really just tired of people dragging dogs&pets to events with a lot of people&a lot of ruckus. just no sense in it. and don't tell me that you can get inside the animal's head&know that the animal enjoys all that chaos, strangers, etc; chances are they loathe it&would rather be in their own digs, happy&free and not on a tether. and no i'm not a dog hater. but for every 1 responsible, conscientious dog owner there are a dozen or more idiots who have no business having the animal in public, because the animal is smarter than the human.

Leprechaunking13 8 years, 6 months ago

Pywacket keep your stupid hillary comments to yourself, you aren't in New York and this forum has absolutely nothing to do with Hillary so why are putting that in here just because OTTR is posting? And smarten up a little bit, if you think hillary will do anything more than what she is doing now(she really only got there cause of slick willey anyways) she won't take the presidency like so many of you feminists(especially in Lawrence) think she will. It's very unlikely that any woman will win the position anytime soon, even if the woman is every bit as qualified as the man she is running against, EVEN HILLARY!

tweetybird2 8 years, 6 months ago

I think the article said she asked first. If your dogs don't like strangers don't take them to a place like Maple Leaf. There are kids everywhere.

Leprechaunking13 8 years, 6 months ago

what the hell would a grenade be doing laying on a sidewalk for a kid to pick up, yes I would blame the kid as well the person who left it there as for the car rolling down the hill I'm sure you've done that one cause you are a moron with comparing stuff a dog biting anyone compares nothing to either of those situations but nice try. it's a shame that the kid was bit so bad but if the parents had stopped her from petting the dog or asked the people with the dog about it then they would have realized it was a bad idea cause it wasn't their dog, people are gonna bring dogs with them to open events they always have and always will TEACH YOUR CHILDREN COMMON SENSE though I see why most of them lack it with some of the people on here raising kids

ControlFreak 8 years, 6 months ago

I have two dogs. One loves everyone and one that is a nervous ninny.

I can take the "loves everyone" dog anywhere and not worry about her.

The other one is so nervous that I feel bad for her. She would never bite anyone, but would be scared the whole time.

A dog merely biting someone is not justification for putting the dog down. Circumstances need to be considered first.

This case goes far beyond a bite. This was an attack. While I'm not interested in blaming the victim here, children can seriously freak out dogs.

It was irresponsible for those people to bring that dog to the festival, especially since they didn't know his/her history.

If the dog was mistreated by a child (which happens all the time) then that dog is automatically going to respond negatively. People don't think.

secretresistance 8 years, 6 months ago

I came upon the scene right after this happened, and let me tell you, it's something I'll never forget. The story I heard was that the people in charge of this dog were not its owners, the dog belonged to friends of theirs. Also, it seems that this dog was just very recently adopted from the Humane Society. Like so many of you said, it should never have been brought into a crowd like that.

Leprechaunking13 8 years, 6 months ago

DOGS ARE ANIMALS THEY DO UNEXPECTED THINGS, by your logic tarin you shouldn't take your dog out at all for walks or to play cause children that could be outside do unexpected things like running up to a dog, this is a case where her parents should have said no or asked the owners about the dog and it's history. these weren't the owners of the dog as it was anyways so the dog shouldn't have been there without the owners as far as I am concerned EVERYONE is to blame

tarin 8 years, 6 months ago

I'm afraid that teaching a child not to pet a strange dog is a good start but by no means is it enough. Children are children and they do unexpected things. Having said that, I have had parents that appalled me by watching their child come up to an absolutely huge dog I had on a leash and throw itself on him. Adults also do unexpected things. I would never ever in a million years have had that dog out in public if I couldn't stake my life on his gentleness and reliability. Because if I was in charge of a dog that did what that dog did to that little girl. It would hurt the rest of my life.

ControlFreak 8 years, 6 months ago

By saying "if the dog was mistreated by a child," I mean IN THE PAST.

I don't want anyone to think I am suggesting THIS girl didn't anything wrong. My point is, that if the dog had very bad experiences with children in the past, then THIS girl would not have to do anything wrong.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 6 months ago

"parents should teach kids about animals and the fact that THEY ARE ANIMALS, THEY BITE SOMETIMES"

I don't know if you realize this, but your post suggests that this happened because of the CHILD. If the parking brake on my car comes loose and the car rolls down the hill, do I say "the person who got run over should have had the common sense to realize that cars can be dangerous"? If I have a dog in a public place, EVERYTHING THAT DOG DOES IS MY RESPONSIBILITY, no matter what. You actually blame the child for "petting the dog wrong"? If the child picked up a hand grenade laying on the sidewalk and it went off, would you consider that the person who left the hand grenade there MIGHT have some liability, or would you blame the child?

All dogs decend from wild animals. Every dog owner needs to be aware of that. In a crowded public place, a dog may feel intimidated. When that happens, their instincts often take over. You don't take a dog to a crowded place like that. Not even the "nice" ones, because even they will revert back to a "not nice" reflex if they feel they are unsafe. Even well-trained, fluffly little "Pookie" will do that.

trinity 8 years, 6 months ago

you caught me tarin, yep; i'm intolerant of idiots who think it's ok to bring any animal to a gathering. i'll give you the possibility of a docile, sweet tempered animal; but i still stand by what i said, and that is that no matter how well you think you know your animal-that can change in a blink if some stimuli rubs the animal the wrong way. and-is it not a little presumptuous to think that everybody is going to love you&your animal? i'm not speaking for myself here; but, my mom had been visciously attacked by a strange dog when i was little. she was just going to the grocery store&this big black beast came out of nowhere, knocking her down&giving her what (thank God) was a minor bite. result? she's scared to death to this day of dogs, no matter how seemingly well trained and tended they are. if you think your animal has more right to be at a festival or gathering than my 84 yr old mom, wellll okiedoke then. so be it.

tweetybird2 8 years, 6 months ago

I was at Maple Leaf on Sunday. There were a lot of dogs on leashes. I am a dog lover but, this was not the place to bring your dog. There was a woman with a large dog on a leash that someone tried to pet. She snapped at the man and said " oh no you can't pet him" She went on to say he didn't like to be petted. The man she was with said he was not socialized well as a puppy. This dog should not have been there. Makes me wonder if he was the one that hurt the little girl.

WiseOne 8 years, 6 months ago

Baldwin City Maple Leaf should outlaw any dogs even on a leash, I have never known a dog that needs to visit a festival with thousand of people. Put yourself in the dogs place walking in huge crowds of strangers, getting your feet stepped on etc. Not being able to see over peoples heads, it is sad and unfortunate that a little girls day of fun and possibly her life have been altered by the stupidity of yet another dog owner.

Leprechaunking13 8 years, 6 months ago

pybaker-so you counter with something WAY not even close to on topic? that lil tantrum haha if that's what you call it was just to tell you to not get your hopes up for Hillary, hahahahaha funny how you think that I'm that "type" cause I disagreed with your hillary forum, well too bad cause if that's what you think they're are MAAAAAAAANY men who fit your type and women too, not every woman agrees with your little stint about Hillary, mostly just feminists like your "type" I'm glad you posted something that has to do with this Forum

Leprechaunking13 8 years, 6 months ago

Don't turn it on me right thinker I'm not the one who has a problem with successful women I have no problem with anyone being successful it's the manner in which you present it. I could care less who a successful woman marries, they could marry a hobo for all I care it doesn't mean that men are just intimidated by them because they're successful. Women with power is not always good thing, they abuse it and take advantage and "intimidate" or try to anyway which is why lots of men dislike having a female boss.

Confrontation 8 years, 6 months ago

from_beautiful: Keep a stungun handy. Their parents should be held completely responsible if your dog takes a bite out of their brats.

tarin 8 years, 6 months ago

Katara, I read your post with pleasure as you are one of the more reasonable and civil people here and your point is well presented. I'm in total agreement with you that the child acted appropriately, and the parents would have had a reasonable expectation that the people handling the dog were competent. I wish things like this never happened.. and my heart goes out to that child who did nothing wrong in my view. I do have to respectfully disagree on your other point though. The appropriate place for a dog, in my opinion (and in the view of most good dogs I think) is along with his people at whatever event they can take him to. One can see if one looks many very nice and happy dogs at such things. It is a shame that a few make such a bad impression that it hurts the rest. I also wish that some dog owners didn't have the view that everyone loves their dog.. or kid for that matter. It is only polite to respect other people's space. But in my own next to me, wherever is allowed. my well behaved dog is welcome.. and that should be respected as well.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 6 months ago

I think the appropriate place for your dogs when you attend an event like Maple Leaf is AT HOME.

Unless it's a service dog (and as someone pointed out, you can't even be 100% certain with one of those), it has no business being at an event with thousands of people it doesn't know, being bombarded by thousands of smells and sounds. This kind of thing makes children hyper. What does it do to a dog?

Your dog will be perfectly fine if you leave it at home. It doesn't have to go everywhere you do. Do you take your dog to work with you every day? Does it go with you to the bathroom every time you go?

This kind of things is why there are so many poor animals that die in closed cars in the summer. People just can't bear to leave their darling pet at home while they go somewhere, so they take it along, even knowing that the pet can't go inside most places, and will have to sit in the car.

And yes, I still think that children should be taught to NEVER approach an animal that doesn't know them. It's far safer this way. Maybe you think the child was doing the right thing by asking permission first. But with most dogs, if they might attack, being close enough to ask permission is already too close.

I was bitten by a dog once on the hand. At a junkyard, and yes, they had him for protection, but they also had him chained far too close to the path people had to use to get through the place, and he was able to get to me even though they didn't think he could. It took months for the wounds to heal completely, and I still have one terrible scar. (No, I didn't sue the people. It's still possible in this world for someone to be injured without wanting to get even.)

Do I hate dogs now? No. I still pet dogs that I am familiar with. But it has made me much, much more cautious around dogs I don't know.

It's not worth the risk. Just tell your kids no, no petting dogs out in public, EVER.