Archive for Friday, October 13, 2006

Wyandotte County to fight proposal to build strip club

October 13, 2006

— Wyandotte County officials are vowing to fight a proposal to put an entertainment venue that would include a strip club within five miles of burgeoning development near the Kansas Speedway.

The WTS Restaurant Group, which owns Bazooka's Showgirls in downtown Kansas City, made the proposal earlier this week to build the $3 million project in Edwardsville.

A brochure the attorney distributed to the Edwardsville City Council said the business, which developers have named Velocity, would feature "dining, cocktails and showgirls."

"We're really looking for the people who are going up and down I-70 and I-435," said Richard Bryant, who represents WTS. "Look at its proximity to the racetrack. Look at its proximity to (shopping area) Village West."

Even though Bryant estimated the business would bring 200 jobs and $5 million in sales to the area, Mayor Joe Reardon of the Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kan., said the county would try to stop the proposal.

Last year, after hearing rumors that another strip club might open in Edwardsville, the Unified Board of Commissioners approved a resolution that limited the hours adult entertainment businesses could be open, prohibited employees from touching various parts of customers' bodies, and required a detailed criminal background check on operators and employees.

Bryant said the Unified Government's ordinance was "hastily worded" and could not apply to Edwardsville.

"It interferes with their home-rule provisions," Bryant said. "Edwardsville has its own codes department, its own zoning department, its own regulatory agency."

Edwardsville Mayor Stephanie Eickhoff said she was opposed to the strip club but it would be difficult to stop if operators followed city and Unified Government regulations.

Bryant said Edwardsville and Unified Government regulations may not be constitutional and vowed to file a lawsuit if Edwardsville does not changes its ordinances.

Comments

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 6 months ago

Aero - I saw a couple months ago that Coyote Ugly pulled out and is not trying to build there anymore.

Army - Did you mean Marinovich? Barnes is KC's current mayor.

Aiko 7 years, 6 months ago

I do not hear of many crimes being committed inside or outside of strip clubs. Why is that?

aeroscout17 7 years, 6 months ago

Whatever happened with the lawsuit against Legends and WY county by "Coyote Ugly"? As I recall they were building a bar at Legends and after they spent the money WY refused their license because they didn't want that "type" of bar there.

armyguy 7 years, 6 months ago

There used to be strip clubs in the Dot. I think ex mayor Kay Barnes found some way to force them out. If I remember correctly, some of them blew up or burned down also around the same time.

roger_o_thornhill 7 years, 6 months ago

Ah, the good old days--with the good old boys. Never meanin' no harm. By 'everyone', Marion, you don't mean the wives of these "businessmen", do you? I'm sure some of them could do without their husbands getting all "randy" and coming home half-drunk expecting sex on demand. Though I am speculating. I've never been anyone's wife. I'll bet that not everyone on stage was happy either. I know, I'm in danger of being labeled a "greasy thug", oh I mean "PC thug".

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 6 months ago

Never thought of this before, but are there any strip clubs in the Dot? Odd. It seems like every county on I-70 from Salina to St. Louis has strip clubs or adult arcades.

I hope the reason behind this isn't some moral quandry WYCO has. If bare breasted ladies are the issue then they need to close the infield of race track.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 6 months ago

I predict a lot of choking victims...

Irish_Prince 7 years, 6 months ago

Well, Roger, as long as they don't serve hot dogs in that place!

I mean, some fat slob construction worker is sitting there about to sink what's left of his teeth in a "big dog"....when lo and behold he looks up and sees a "moneymaker" staring right at him!

There's no telling what he might end up doing with that hot dog!--Think Bill Clinton and his "Monica Lewinsky cigar trick" (It would cost him a buck to do it, I'm sure)

Marion Lynn 7 years, 6 months ago

Wyandotte county has become nearly as pig-headed as Lawrence!

Ah, for the good old days when a businessman just met up with a few of the "guys" at The Flaming Bull, Fasone's or the Sanactuary and after a polite discussion and a few drinks, things got done and everyone was happy!

Thanks.

Marion.

roger_o_thornhill 7 years, 6 months ago

I always thought that food and naked ladies don't mix. Who wants to be eating shrimp cocktail while someone is shaking their "moneymaker" in their faces?

Lawrence should get on this. They could advertise that we have all sorts here. There's what, 4-5 establishments here?

Guess it is probably easier to drive back home drunk from Edwardsville than it is from here.

bmwjhawk 7 years, 6 months ago

I think it would do well. They should build it on-site instead. NASCAR and pasties seem like nice bedfellows.

one_more_bob 7 years, 6 months ago

Let's ban everything I don't personally approve of. No KFC!