Archive for Friday, October 13, 2006

Stab victim life-flighted to K.C. after fight; two suspects sought

Two questioned, two more sought

October 13, 2006, 5:40 a.m. Updated October 13, 2006, 11:05 a.m.

Police this morning are questioning two people and looking for two others in connection with a brawl outside a local night club that sent two people to the hospital with stab wounds.

At least two people were stabbed and a third suffered head injuries in the fight around 1:50 a.m. outside Liquid, 804 W. 24th St. Police say the fight involved up to 9 people.

The two known stabbing victims are Edward Mitchell, 21, Lawrence, who was flown to a Kansas City hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, and William Mitchell, 20, who went to LMH with "multiple stab wounds to the torso."

Doug Harvey, 22, Lawrence, was taken to LMH with head injuries.

Two other men, James Green, 19, and Harlan Masqua, 20, Lawrence, refused medical treatment at the scene.

Police are questioning two men, ages 18 and 22, who were found two blocks from the scene of the fight. Police say they've identified two other participants in the fight with the help of surveillance video and are trying to find them.

Comments

BDub 8 years, 2 months ago

Hmm. I'm from Topeka - I come over to Lawrence all the time, but I haven't stabbed anyone there yet. I guess I haven't read my T-Town Troublemakers' Rulebook closely enough.

bmwjhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

BDUB, the key word is "yet." It will happen. You should get a lawyer now before you actually commit the crime. Might I suggest you perform your act outside of a yuppie bar earlier in the evening? Then we won't have to blame the victims.

Kuku_Kansas 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm glad when I go out drinking, the worst of my night is a bad hangover.

No bullet wounds. No stab wounds. No broken jaws. Nobody having to bail me outta jail.

Then again, I purposely haven't made friends with Topeka people since moving here.

Leprechaunking13 8 years, 2 months ago

maybe we should make a law that only allows top city natives to go to certain places in lawrence, maybe they'll learn that this isn't topeka and they need to act like it

why do birds fly upside down over topeka?

cause there's nothing worth sh*ting on

Tychoman 8 years, 2 months ago

What the hell happened? I'm glad I didn't go!

hockmano 8 years, 2 months ago

OldEnuf! so that means you should hide in your house and never go out because you might get stabbed? Yes, you do need to use some caution but blaming the victim? C'mon, no matter what happened between the victims and the perpetrators no one deserves to be stabbed multiple times!Would you tell a rape victim someone attacked her because of what she was wearing? Oh, and I moved here from Kansas City. And let me tell you, there is crime everywhere! Not just Topeka!Lawrence has it's fair share of criminals, which lately, seem to be coming out of the woodwork in droves!

BDub 8 years, 2 months ago

I also hope that whoever was hurt in this will be OK and that whoever is to blame (victim included, if they provoked it) receive the punishment deserved.

I'm thinking maybe this wasn't anyone from Topeka after all - the bad guy could be a Baldwin Baddie or a Desoto Desperado.

Dave McClain 8 years, 2 months ago

BDub, T-Town Troublemakers Rulebook actually lists guns in the trunk while parked in parking lots as the must thing to do!

Risk factors is what I call situations where victims put themselves into. Each moment of our day has a risk factor, and going to Liquids until 1 in the morning is a high end risk factor. This bar solicits the crowds from inner city KC and Topeka with commercials on the rap stations.

sapphic 8 years, 2 months ago

aren't wednesdays "family" night at liquid?

Leandra Galindo 8 years, 2 months ago

Hey DaReekku...Just to let you know the Coming Out Ball was Wednesday Night...not Thursday Night...Hello! Need to get your days right

Tychoman 8 years, 2 months ago

Has no one noticed how the article mentions nothing of people from Topeka?

Fatty_McButterpants 8 years, 2 months ago

dmcclain: You had better be careful or someone will accuse you of racism over your comment that "This bar solicits the crowds from inner city KC and Topeka with commercials on the rap stations.", instead of recognizing that rap tends to draw a more violent crowd ("red, yellow, black or white, they are all violent in his sight" -that's my new song, like it?)

DaREEKKU 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm well aware that "family" night is Wednesday (although I would hardly classify it as an event that is even halfway worthy of attending); the paper this morning said the stabbing occurred THURSDAY morning at 1:50 a.m. It wasn't untill it was updated at 11:02 today that they corrected it to Friday morning at 1:50. Just to clearify that.

Dave McClain 8 years, 2 months ago

Fatty, No racism intended. My daughter happens to like rap. and our color is pink polkadots! So how is that racist. It is a more violent, reactionary crowd. Sorry you took it as something else!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 2 months ago

"OldEnuf! so that means you should hide in your house and never go out because you might get stabbed?"

No... and I don't think a reasonable person would have gotten that from my post.

Your interpretation of my logic is: Chose not to go to Liquid at Midnight = Hide in house. Hmmmm. I said that?

BabyJay13 8 years, 2 months ago

The problems with these kind of bars is that they do not follow the law to begin with. They serve alcohol to minors and that starts the problem(s) right there. These kids then think they are cool because they have gotten to drink so they just keep running their mouths and start crap. Liquid needs to be shut down for good. They have already had to change names a couple of times due to the fact that they have gotten busted for serving to minors.

smasher 8 years, 2 months ago

Posted by americorps (anonymous) on October 13, 2006 at 9:10 a.m. (Suggest removal)

"yes, people making up things and presenting them as fact lacks a certain honor and that hits a nerve with me. You have no idea where the criminals were from yet."

With all due respect, americorps, it does seem like 90% of the time there is a shooting or stabbing there are some specific similarities.

First, they are usually taking place at the Granada, Brothers, Last Call, and The Liquid.

Second, the person responsible for the shooting or stabbing or any other stupid deliquent drunken actions, is usually from Topeka.

In general, I do agree with you that nerves are rightfully hit when people throw out make-belief facts to be true. As much as assumptions can be unsupported at times, in cases like this, it almost does seem appropriate.

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 2 months ago

What self respecting thug would even be seen there?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 2 months ago

"no possible way to predict this type of violence"

Unless you consider the demographic that you are targeting in your marketing plan. Anyone who thinks that you can get a lot of young drunk "boys" together in a large venue where they hope to get noticed by each other and women and NOT have violence is kidding themselves.

napoleon969 8 years, 2 months ago

Wake up kuku_Kansas! Topekans are not your problem. Lawrence has bad guys too!!! Get over it.

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 2 months ago

Remember when that location was a clothing-optional bar? Circa 1997. No knives then. Unless you wanted to be creative as to where you hid the thing.

DaREEKKU 8 years, 2 months ago

It was "family" night sapphic, and from what I gather there was a semi formal "coming out" ball. Howevery I'm not sure what happened, because nothing has been posted or heard of from the KU Q & A group that sponsored it nor anybody else. So I'm sure I would have heard of something if it happened revolving around that event. Isn't LJ world going to post more on this?

BabyJay13 8 years, 2 months ago

Tychoman,

I know for a fact that minor's drink at Liquid. Whether or not they check I.D. and mark the customers. You can take a fake I.D. and say "yeah we checked their I.D." It isn't hard to prove that the bar provides to minors when you know for a fact that certian people that are underage drink there.

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 2 months ago

Where is the security at these places? There should be a law that bars and dance clubs are responsible for the area outside their establishments as well. Where's the security cameras and lights. Come on dummies, you can't just take in the money and say "come at your own risk". Plus, when these suckas (purposely misspelled) ran off, they were cutting through someone's neighborhood. People who didn't ask for this kind of sh*t. If you can't control your patrons, you shouldn't be allowed to stay open. Seems like problems like this come from the same 3 or 4 places. Seems like these establishments almost encourage such behavior. They certainly don't discourage it.

Of course one of the real problems is that these dumbasses need to figure out something else to do with their lives besides getting f---ed up, posturing, and getting into fights that end up with these kind of results. Don't they have the imagination to think of a different life than that they see in the movies and videos? I would think living like this would be really depressing. Certainly doesn't make you a man, or whatever the hell they think.

Charlie Bannister 8 years, 2 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad is exactly right. There are times when a victim is to be totally sympathized with. But more often than not when it comes to bar violence, you have made a bad choice just being there and drinking and acting foolishly. Been there, done that when I was younger, got the t-shirt. I know what I am talking about. Unfortunately, the younger set will always have to learn the hard way.

smasher 8 years, 2 months ago

Lots of minors do show up drunk already, especially those that do not have a fake ID. .

However, for LiquidKendal to say that the bar is "drug free" is ridiculous and kills any credibility that he/she may have otherwise had in this conversation. I have been to the bar many times in the past (both as Jack Flannigans and The Liquid) and there is enough cocaine floating around that place to give Ozzy Osburn a hard on.

jhawks_26 8 years, 2 months ago

we might as well ban high school/college sporting events, high school dances...ie PROM! yes, that makes sense OldEnuf. It says you're old enough to be my father, I'm not sure what generation you grew up in, but the generation my father grew up in was just as bad if you're talking about young (drunk) boys getting together...period.

Tychoman 8 years, 2 months ago

Okiegirl the article says it occurred early Thursday morning.

I'm sure it's a typo. It must have been early THIS morning. It doesn't make sense that there was a stabbing at the Coming Out Ball. I hope it's a typo. Please let it be a typo.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 2 months ago

Sometimes we actually do need to blame the victim. Where you go, what you do, who you hang out with, what you say... these are the things that either get you into trouble or keep you out of trouble. Too often we act as if the person who has been victimized should only be sympathized with, but I don't agree. Some of us somehow always find a way to get into "situations". Others of us are never in "situations". It's not simple blind luck. It's 95% about OUR choices.

I hope no one dies.

Liquidkendall 8 years, 2 months ago

We at Liquid Bar and Nightclub regret that this unfortunate event occurred outside our club. We take every precaution within our means to insure the safety of all of our valuable customers. We have video cameras and extra lighting installed throughout the parking lot and we have always employed a private armed security company(MIL-SPEC Security) to help insure customer safety. Unfortunately the event that happened took 48 seconds from start to finish and there is no possible way to predict this type of violence. The event in question stemmed from an altercation that occurred at another club these patrons were at on a previous date. We at Liquid strive to keep the atmosphere not only safe, but drug free. If you have ever been a customer of Liquid than you would know that we have a safe and fun enviornment.

Tychoman 8 years, 2 months ago

Never mind it's been updated, it looks like it happened this morning, not on the night of the Coming Out Ball.

Tychoman 8 years, 2 months ago

BabyJay, I know for a fact that the vast majority of underage drinkers at Liquid show up already drunk, so it's hard to prove if the bar provides to minors. They check I.D. and mark accordingly.

mlemiller 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm glad I moved from Lawrence to Topeka. I feel a whole lot safer here after reading the latest Lawrence headlines.

armyguy 8 years, 2 months ago

Fred Phelps is worthy of fly by pooing.

BlackVelvet 8 years, 2 months ago

Is it odd that there have been stabbings and/or shootings (even a murder) at that same bar over the years? Regardless of who owns it at the time or what they name it, it is often the same crowd that frequents it, and eventually, there are problems. Why is that?

BabyJay13 8 years, 2 months ago

I know for a fact at your club, that you serve minors. So how do you consider that safe? And you do so knowingly..... These kids that you are letting drink that are under age are then driving home after they have drank. You are creating an enviroment that invites situations like these.

jhawks_26 8 years, 2 months ago

I have lived in lawrence my whole life and just in my college years there are SEVERAL instances and MANY other bars in lawrence where a serious violent act has occurred. Anybody remember JR Giddens? I've been at bars with that group of guys on numerous occasions where someone had drank enough to make them "couragous" and would do something stupid. You can't blame managment of a particular establishment or even their security for something that happens in the parking lot when they are also trying to keep an eye on 300 other people. It's simply not fair to say they are not doing their jobs. Also if someone is removed from the establishment and they return at closing, it's hard to spot them among every other patron who is leaving. Or maybe you people who are complaining would like to volunteer your time to walk each individual patron to their ride/car to make sure nothing inappropriate happens? Oh! and i can guarantee you that these kids will save up for a VERY long time in order to "aquire" a fake id that is flawless...ie: same picture, same info except bday, goes through a scanner...

Leprechaunking13 8 years, 2 months ago

Any true Lawrencian knows that this was done by topekans or that topeka was involved in someway, always is. Topeka is almost as bad as Missouri.