Archive for Thursday, October 12, 2006

Kansas deer season creates road hazards for drivers

October 12, 2006

— State troopers are urging motorists to watch out as deer-breeding season gets under way.

The season, which lasts from October to December, causes an increase in car-deer collisions as bucks roam widely in search of does.

The number of deer-related accidents topped 8,819 last year, down from 9,952 the year before that, according to the Kansas Department of Transportation.

Last year in Kansas, two people died in deer-vehicle accidents and 328 were injured.

So far this year, one death and 155 injuries have been recorded.

"Some of the most serious crashes occur when drivers attempt to avoid the animal and lose control of their vehicle. Do not take unsafe evasive actions," Highway Patrol Supt. William Seck said in a statement issued Monday. "It is usually safer to strike the deer than another object, such as a tree or another vehicle."

Already this year, two Sedgwick County sheriff's personnel have collided their cars with deer, sheriff's Lt. Bruce Morton said.

One crash happened near dusk this summer when a deer came out of a ditch as a deputy was driving past and "almost came into the windshield at him," Morton said.

Last week, a sheriff's supervisor was driving his patrol sport utility vehicle when a deer burst out of a ditch and struck the SUV's fender and headlight.

Both vehicles had to be towed but neither law enforcement officer was hurt.

Nationally, deer-vehicle crashes cost more than $1 billion in property damage each year, injure thousands of people and kill more than 150, the Kansas Insurance Department said, citing estimates by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

The early 1990s saw an increase in deer-vehicle accidents before starting a general decline around 1999, KDOT records show.

Comments

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 6 months ago

Lordy lordy... two gals... may our lord have mercy on you.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 6 months ago

ljreader: are you accusing the deer of being scofflaws!? that they would deliberately disregard the crossing signs? sounds like the signs need crossing guards, who wave!

TOB, didn't go anywhere, just less time...these two women in my life take more time these days. I miss you too fella.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 6 months ago

And bearded_gnome... where have you been?

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 6 months ago

I love me some ljreader. Post more often, sir!

middleoftheroader 7 years, 6 months ago

quick Ned! thin out there numbers!!! he's coming right at us!!!

ljreader 7 years, 6 months ago

No, Gnome. The deer don't read English. But Kansas is trying to change all that. The deer are attracted to the diamond shape of the sign. Once they look at it, they see the picture. It's a universal symbol. Even if they wind up in Canada- they see that picture, and they just know. Problem is, deer are known jaywalkers, and won't use the deer crosswalks. Then we got the problems this article is warning us about.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 6 months ago

Were those the Cash/Nelson commericals?

Oh goodness. Heros shot down in flames. At least Willie had an excuse at the time.

In honesty, I think I have a faint recollection of that. Two hip jerkoffs walking down the street with necks astray (notaword) eating soft tacos?

ljreader 7 years, 6 months ago

It was an old Taco Bell promotion. Kinda hard to describe, but I'll try. People in the ads who ate tacos too much (because they're so good, of course) suffered the repercussion of their heads being tilted to one side- and stuck there. Think of how you tilt your head to eat a taco- or pretend you do that. Anyhoo, the commercial asked "Do you suffer from taco neck syndrome?" It was a promotion they ran for a while- maybe 8-10 years ago? Both commercials and print ads. Maybe you had to be there. Probably.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 6 months ago

LOL! you guys have really settled the deer problem, however you've left off one mystery.
when you see the "deer crossing" signs...how do the deer know that's their sign? and, thereby, they know their crossings? do they actually read? scarey!

and the hedge apples have to be carefully placed according to phasic balance otherwise they will interfere with each other and may actually have the opposite effect!

Moira 7 years, 6 months ago

TOB - I learned an interesting bit of info today - the wooden hat. Quite an art!

ljreader - what is taco neck syndrome? Can't picture it.

ljreader 7 years, 6 months ago

Not sure about the hedge apples and the gov't, Bob- They're heavy little devils and may cause some permanent spinal damage from the weight tipping from side to side. It would be something akin to taco neck syndrome. I'd go with one of the hedge hats.

Good thinking, Roger. Still, my car's probably easier to spot in the parking lot. Just a thought. unless you're getting all incognito on us.

Let us Haiku.

Wooden hat of hedge Chiseled from a fallen tree. Tin foil for baked spuds.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 6 months ago

Moira - That is so sweet of you. That is hilarious.

roger_o_thornhill 7 years, 6 months ago

I just drive a Mercury Cougar because I heard that deer run from cougars.

Moira 7 years, 6 months ago

TOB

This is the closest I could find to a hat made of hedge apples. LOL

Tony Kisner 7 years, 6 months ago

TOB - Retire the tin hat? That is just crazy talk! Now you are cracking me up.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 6 months ago

Wow. Solid point, ljreader. I may retire my tin-foil hats and start hot-glueing hedge apples to my head. If this wonderful fruit can keep deer and space aliens away, then surely it can keep the gov't out of my head.

ljreader 7 years, 6 months ago

countrygirl- Yes, a few mutant deer will approach the fallen hedge apples. However, if you'd read today's article in the JW, you'll see that they eat them, and the apple then gets lodged in the esophagus. A dead deer cannot jump in front of your car.

Easy-Since we haven't got any substantial proof that we've ever been invaded by aliens of the space variety, we can only guess that hedge apples may be an effective determent. This is only speculation, of course. Since it wasn't addressed in today's article about hedge apples, your guess is as good as mine.

Your Dad sounds like a wise man, TOB. It makes sense to me, if you whistle at a deer, the females are flattered, but the bucks get offended. (They're such a homophobic beast). Either way, it's going to attract them. The does are gonna want to mate, and the bucks are gonna pick a fight. Those whistle things are best left at the factory.

I'm hoping that the Journal World hosts a chat about this sometime soon. I've got so many questions I'd like to submit early.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 6 months ago

My dad was a volunteer fireman back when I was growing up in a small town. They always thought the name 'deer whistle' was appropriate. Usually, when you whistle you want someone/thing to come to you. It always seemed the car vs deer accidents involved deer whistles. I never did ask if they were of the hedge apple variety.

Tony Kisner 7 years, 6 months ago

I have a deer whistle on my car and have not hit a deer or been abducted by space aliens. (Although I have partied with illegal aliens.) I would try the hedge apple application but I would need to see more evidence on it's effectiveness regarding space ailens.

ljreader 7 years, 6 months ago

Beg your pardon, TOB- The hedge apple thing DOES work, I've just marketed this idea to Billy Mays. He believes in it so much, he's guaranteeing to throw in a Ding King if you hit a deer. All you pay is shipping and handling. But wait that's not all. If you act within the next 20 minutes after hitting a deer, Billy will throw in a tub of Oxy Clean to remove those stubborn set in deer blood stains.

Ken Miller 7 years, 6 months ago

Wow....so Klondike Bars work as well as Deer Whistles? Here's hoping we drop to freezing tonight.

Confrontation 7 years, 6 months ago

My uncle hit three deer in two years while using the "deer whistle." You'd think he'd learn his lesson :)

countrygirl 7 years, 6 months ago

And I would hope that the hedge apple thing was a funny. I can't wait to see how many cars at Wal-mart will have hedge apples glued on them now.

countrygirl 7 years, 6 months ago

TOB---that had me laughing out loud. Sounds a bit like using a farm truck with a bale spike on the back to discourage people who like to tail gate!

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 6 months ago

Countrygal - I think he was making a funny. If you are driving down the road at 70 mph, Bambi isn't going to know if it's a hedgeapple or klondike bar.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 6 months ago

I cut the fork off a fork lift and welded it to the top of the hood of my truck. I hit deer all the time. The trick is you really need to make sure your winshield washer fluid resevoir is full.

ljreader 7 years, 6 months ago

Can't argue with success. This also makes it easy to find your car in a big parking lot. Money AND time saver. Gotta love it.

countrygirl 7 years, 6 months ago

The hedge apple theory won't hold up if you want to check into it. There are tons of deer trails than run right under hedge trees, and thus the apples are on the trails. Doesn't seem to keep the deer off the trails.

Kelly Powell 7 years, 6 months ago

Actually, they have to thin the herd or they risk the chance of a disease outbreak in the herds....which can utterly screw with the ecosystem for years(more than it's screwed now)

gr 7 years, 6 months ago

Wow! You mean we don't have to buy little doohickeys and can accomplish the same purpose with gluing hedge apples? Nice money saving tip!

ljreader 7 years, 6 months ago

We hot glue hedge apples to our cars. Research has shown that deer avoid areas treated with hedge apples. Never hit one yet- even when I throw the hedge apples at them.

gr 7 years, 6 months ago

Keep in mind, that while more than $1 billion is done in damage, slaughtering deer for fun brings in much more. The more deer there are, the more likely someone may want to shoot them (spend money). Therefore, there is no reason to really want to thin the herd down. As some have pointed out, you have to buy a buck license first, though I thought this year it was a doe first. They really could make a difference by requiring X number of does shot before any bucks. Not the goal. The goal is to collect more money. If hunters want bucks, very well.

Also, they could allow you to sell your deer meat. That would pretty much solve the problem. But, they make it very hard to even give it away - legally, that is. (Make me some deer jerky)

Kelly Powell 7 years, 6 months ago

If anyone bags more then they canprocess, I will make deer jerky for them in exchange for deer meat.

75x55 7 years, 6 months ago

"So why won't the state of Kansas do something to thin down the deer herd?"

They don't own much of the land that the deer reside on. And most landowners don't care to have "people hunt on 'em". Hunting is expensive, primarily in terms of the time needed, and a lot of folks don't have much spare time as it is.

Problem is only going to get worse, unless the natural predator population increases - but we all know that those kinds of creatures don't live here anymore [wink, wink...]

gr 7 years, 6 months ago

3 out of 5,

But I have results too.
I have not hit a deer. I do not have a "deer warner". Therefore, proof they do not work!

Just a hunch, but I bet it'd be interesting to speak evolution with you.

number3of5 7 years, 6 months ago

Well gr, maybe you need statistics, but as for me all I need are results to be a believer.

rayikeo 7 years, 6 months ago

For your Information: A special firearms Deer hunt for this area (Unit 19) will be open from Saturday Oct 14th thru Sunday Oct 22nd. Firearms as well as Bow equipment is legal during this period. Permits as mentioned by (countrygirl) are required and can be purchased online as well as locally. So Be Aware...

imastinker 7 years, 6 months ago

I agree - I'd go hunting, but it's very expensive. It certianly doesn't save me any money on meat. It would simply be a hobby, which I have too many of as it is. Make it easier.

roger_o_thornhill 7 years, 6 months ago

mmmmmm...deer. Where's the deerburgers?

countrygirl 7 years, 6 months ago

So why won't the state of Kansas do something to thin down the deer herd? Now in order to by an anterless deer tag, you have to buy an any deer tag first. That means you're spending $30 for the first tag just to be able to buy a $12 tag to be able to shoot a doe. Taking the breeding does out of the herd would help slow down the population some. And if I'm going to eat one, I'd rather have a doe.

gr 7 years, 6 months ago

I don't have a "deer warner" on my vehicle and have not had any accidents with deer. (Now watch me have one!) So, does that offer "proof" they don't work?

Just because you put a doohicky on your vehicle and have not had a deer accident, but did have one before you put it on your vehicle does not prove anything. You would need to present statistical studies of numerous vehicles with and without them installed.

number3of5 7 years, 6 months ago

Don't you people know that it is a simple and inexpensive thing to install deer warners on your vehicles. They work!!!! Between my husband and I, we have been driving at night and early mornings for 45 years and have only had one accident with a deer. The vehicle did not have warners on it, so since then we install them on all of our vehicles. The deer and coyotes stand and listen, but do not come out in front of us.