Archive for Thursday, October 12, 2006

Kansas deer season creates road hazards for drivers

October 12, 2006

— State troopers are urging motorists to watch out as deer-breeding season gets under way.

The season, which lasts from October to December, causes an increase in car-deer collisions as bucks roam widely in search of does.

The number of deer-related accidents topped 8,819 last year, down from 9,952 the year before that, according to the Kansas Department of Transportation.

Last year in Kansas, two people died in deer-vehicle accidents and 328 were injured.

So far this year, one death and 155 injuries have been recorded.

"Some of the most serious crashes occur when drivers attempt to avoid the animal and lose control of their vehicle. Do not take unsafe evasive actions," Highway Patrol Supt. William Seck said in a statement issued Monday. "It is usually safer to strike the deer than another object, such as a tree or another vehicle."

Already this year, two Sedgwick County sheriff's personnel have collided their cars with deer, sheriff's Lt. Bruce Morton said.

One crash happened near dusk this summer when a deer came out of a ditch as a deputy was driving past and "almost came into the windshield at him," Morton said.

Last week, a sheriff's supervisor was driving his patrol sport utility vehicle when a deer burst out of a ditch and struck the SUV's fender and headlight.

Both vehicles had to be towed but neither law enforcement officer was hurt.

Nationally, deer-vehicle crashes cost more than $1 billion in property damage each year, injure thousands of people and kill more than 150, the Kansas Insurance Department said, citing estimates by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

The early 1990s saw an increase in deer-vehicle accidents before starting a general decline around 1999, KDOT records show.

Comments

number3of5 8 years, 2 months ago

Don't you people know that it is a simple and inexpensive thing to install deer warners on your vehicles. They work!!!! Between my husband and I, we have been driving at night and early mornings for 45 years and have only had one accident with a deer. The vehicle did not have warners on it, so since then we install them on all of our vehicles. The deer and coyotes stand and listen, but do not come out in front of us.

gr 8 years, 2 months ago

I don't have a "deer warner" on my vehicle and have not had any accidents with deer. (Now watch me have one!) So, does that offer "proof" they don't work?

Just because you put a doohicky on your vehicle and have not had a deer accident, but did have one before you put it on your vehicle does not prove anything. You would need to present statistical studies of numerous vehicles with and without them installed.

countrygirl 8 years, 2 months ago

So why won't the state of Kansas do something to thin down the deer herd? Now in order to by an anterless deer tag, you have to buy an any deer tag first. That means you're spending $30 for the first tag just to be able to buy a $12 tag to be able to shoot a doe. Taking the breeding does out of the herd would help slow down the population some. And if I'm going to eat one, I'd rather have a doe.

imastinker 8 years, 2 months ago

I agree - I'd go hunting, but it's very expensive. It certianly doesn't save me any money on meat. It would simply be a hobby, which I have too many of as it is. Make it easier.

rayikeo 8 years, 2 months ago

For your Information: A special firearms Deer hunt for this area (Unit 19) will be open from Saturday Oct 14th thru Sunday Oct 22nd. Firearms as well as Bow equipment is legal during this period. Permits as mentioned by (countrygirl) are required and can be purchased online as well as locally. So Be Aware...

number3of5 8 years, 2 months ago

Well gr, maybe you need statistics, but as for me all I need are results to be a believer.

gr 8 years, 2 months ago

3 out of 5,

But I have results too.
I have not hit a deer. I do not have a "deer warner". Therefore, proof they do not work!

Just a hunch, but I bet it'd be interesting to speak evolution with you.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 2 months ago

If anyone bags more then they canprocess, I will make deer jerky for them in exchange for deer meat.

gr 8 years, 2 months ago

Keep in mind, that while more than $1 billion is done in damage, slaughtering deer for fun brings in much more. The more deer there are, the more likely someone may want to shoot them (spend money). Therefore, there is no reason to really want to thin the herd down. As some have pointed out, you have to buy a buck license first, though I thought this year it was a doe first. They really could make a difference by requiring X number of does shot before any bucks. Not the goal. The goal is to collect more money. If hunters want bucks, very well.

Also, they could allow you to sell your deer meat. That would pretty much solve the problem. But, they make it very hard to even give it away - legally, that is. (Make me some deer jerky)

gr 8 years, 2 months ago

Wow! You mean we don't have to buy little doohickeys and can accomplish the same purpose with gluing hedge apples? Nice money saving tip!

Kelly Powell 8 years, 2 months ago

Actually, they have to thin the herd or they risk the chance of a disease outbreak in the herds....which can utterly screw with the ecosystem for years(more than it's screwed now)

countrygirl 8 years, 2 months ago

The hedge apple theory won't hold up if you want to check into it. There are tons of deer trails than run right under hedge trees, and thus the apples are on the trails. Doesn't seem to keep the deer off the trails.

countrygirl 8 years, 2 months ago

TOB---that had me laughing out loud. Sounds a bit like using a farm truck with a bale spike on the back to discourage people who like to tail gate!

countrygirl 8 years, 2 months ago

And I would hope that the hedge apple thing was a funny. I can't wait to see how many cars at Wal-mart will have hedge apples glued on them now.

Confrontation 8 years, 2 months ago

My uncle hit three deer in two years while using the "deer whistle." You'd think he'd learn his lesson :)

Ken Miller 8 years, 2 months ago

Wow....so Klondike Bars work as well as Deer Whistles? Here's hoping we drop to freezing tonight.

Tony Kisner 8 years, 2 months ago

I have a deer whistle on my car and have not hit a deer or been abducted by space aliens. (Although I have partied with illegal aliens.) I would try the hedge apple application but I would need to see more evidence on it's effectiveness regarding space ailens.

Tony Kisner 8 years, 2 months ago

TOB - Retire the tin hat? That is just crazy talk! Now you are cracking me up.

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 2 months ago

I just drive a Mercury Cougar because I heard that deer run from cougars.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

LOL! you guys have really settled the deer problem, however you've left off one mystery.
when you see the "deer crossing" signs...how do the deer know that's their sign? and, thereby, they know their crossings? do they actually read? scarey!

and the hedge apples have to be carefully placed according to phasic balance otherwise they will interfere with each other and may actually have the opposite effect!

middleoftheroader 8 years, 2 months ago

quick Ned! thin out there numbers!!! he's coming right at us!!!

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

ljreader: are you accusing the deer of being scofflaws!? that they would deliberately disregard the crossing signs? sounds like the signs need crossing guards, who wave!

TOB, didn't go anywhere, just less time...these two women in my life take more time these days. I miss you too fella.