Archive for Thursday, October 12, 2006

Cheney in Kansas to campaign for Ryun

Cheney was scheduled to have photos taken with campaign contributors

October 12, 2006, 9:25 a.m. Updated October 12, 2006, 11:00 a.m.

— Vice President Dick Cheney today was on the campaign trail to raise funds for U.S. Rep. Jim Ryun, a Lawrence Republican, facing a re-election rematch against Democrat Nancy Boyda.

Cheney was scheduled to have photos taken with campaign contributors, give a noontime speech at the Capitol Plaza Hotel Manor Conference Center, and then fly out. His time in Topeka was expected to be about to 2 1/2 hours.

Ryun campaign manager Jeff Black said 275 people were attending the event, and that the campaign had raised $207,000. People paid $100 to attend the reception, and $1,000 to have a photograph taken with Cheney.

Ryun defeated Boyda, of Topeka, in 2004 by a hefty 56 percent to 41 percent.

This election, however, Boyda maintains Ryun is in trouble and her internal polling shows the race a dead heat with about 17 percent undecided.

Ryun has said her polling is inaccurate, but hasn't revealed what his own polls show.

He has launched ads attacking Boyda, saying she wants to "cut and run" in Iraq. Boyda has denied the accusation, saying she is hopeful that a new bipartisan panel, led by former Secretary of State James Baker, a Republican, can provide policy recommendations on the war.

Boyda has claimed Ryun, a five-term incumbent, has lost touch with the 2nd Congressional District, becoming a Washington insider, corrupted by partisan politics. Ryun said he represents the values of the district by wanting lower taxes and smaller government.

The district includes west Lawrence, Topeka, Manhattan and much of southeast Kansas.

Comments

BunE 8 years, 2 months ago

Look its Tricky Dicky C!

Run Jim, Run!

Cait McKnelly 8 years, 2 months ago

Is anybody else as creeped out as I am by Cheney? He sure doesn't look like MY grandpa. And I think if he did I'd go run and hide under my bed screaming.

jasonc_22 8 years, 2 months ago

nancy's tv commercials are up...you can see them on her website www.nancyforcongress.com

Confrontation 8 years, 2 months ago

I thought there was a strange smell in the air today.

xenophonschild 8 years, 2 months ago

What lollipops.

Pay a thousand bucks to get your picture taken with that creep.

Cheney should be forced to go to the family and loved ones of every soldier killed in Iraq and apologize for being a dumb #ss.

SettingTheRecordStraight 8 years, 2 months ago

"Ryun campaign manager Jeff Black said 275 people were attending the event, and that the campaign had raised $207,000."

oldgoof 8 years, 2 months ago

Keep your heads down today. Cheney: "Ready, Fire, Aim"

Baille 8 years, 2 months ago

"Cut and run?"

Reminds me a lot of "Dey turk ma jurb!"

Goobacks for Boyda.

cutny 8 years, 2 months ago

commuter 8 years, 2 months ago

Settingtherecordstraight-

If 200 people paid 1,000 and 75 paid 100 that would equal 207,500. Who knows maybe a few people more than 1,000. I wasn't there.

Christine Anderson 8 years, 2 months ago

Alright, I've had it. Couranna1, you obviously do not know Jim and Anne personally. I've known this man for 24 years; had his kids in my sunday school class back in the day. He's probably one of the few remaining persons in politics with any integrity. Definetly one of the few I'm willing to admit to knowing. And no, you schmucks, Jim has not lost touch with his constituency.

bunnyhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

anyone who's a friend of Dick Cheney isn't a friend to Kansas' working men and women!!!!!

hubcap 8 years, 2 months ago

OK, here's MY personal experience with Jim & Anne Ryun. They cut in line in front of us at that bike shop on Kassold. The bike shop owner had to say, "I'm sorry, these people (referring to me & my wife) were ahead of you," though it was obvious enough to normal people.

Confrontation 8 years, 2 months ago

misplacedcheesehead: Think of how many people knew Mark Miller and the BTK killer from their experiences in church.

Kontum1972 8 years, 2 months ago

misplacedcheesehead--so hanging with DICK is a model of integrity...mb Jim Ryun should of asked Mr. James Baker to come help him...Jim Baker has "more integrity" in his little finger than Dick Cheney has in his whole body. Rove, Cheney, Rummy...the real AXIS of EVIL...

mcoan 8 years, 2 months ago

Why would you want a guy with a 20% approval rating to stump for you?

ksmoderate 8 years, 2 months ago

Unfortunately, there are plenty of folks here in SE Kansas that still think Ryun is the bees knees just becuase he's a Christian (after all...that's only what matters??!!??).

May all those people's cars break down on the way to the polls.

staff04 8 years, 2 months ago

"Posted by cutny (anonymous) on October 12, 2006 at 12:58 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Funny how anyone, least of all Ryun, thinks appearing with Cheney will HELP his campaign. Boyda must be thrilled at her stroke of luck."

So funny to read that comment...I was just discussing Cheney's visit with a colleague who suggested that maybe Boyda should chip in for the VP's airfare...

I met a couple of years ago with an old college professor who has now passed away, unfortunately, who described Congressman Ryun as singly the LEAST intelligent member of Congress.

After meeting with Ryun a few times and even attempting to work with his staff, I realized that perhaps the old sage was correct...

prioress 8 years, 2 months ago

Perhaps you could take the "Godless, secular, progressive, far-left liberal" approach... and "lawyer up?"

Speaking of, this was interesting: Internet defamation http://www.asiantribune.com/index.php?q=node/2452

werekoala 8 years, 2 months ago

There are many nice people who I know and like personally that would be horrible legislators. Ryun is one. He came to Dog Days last year, and seemed nice enough, if a little cliched.

However, I'm sorry, but if you look at the man's voting record and rhetoric, you can see he's never let an original thought soil his mind. He toes the party line on every issue, and I can't see why anyone thinks that's a good idea for a representative from either party to be such a partisan hack.

But it energizes the "base". Or at least it did in the past. I wonder if people will ever stop chosing the devils they know...

BigAl 8 years, 2 months ago

"secular progressives"? been watching O'Reilly again?

ksmoderate 8 years, 2 months ago

Again: I fail to see the negative in being progressive. It's a shame that some idiots on TV and radio have bought into this crap (see "cut and run," "support the troops," and "stay the course").

Cait McKnelly 8 years, 2 months ago

Here's MY experience with "Annie" Ryun (never met Jim, fortunately). She was in front of me in line at Dillons. I was on my way to work (wearing my nurses scrubs so it was pretty obvious I was on a timeline one way or the other) and I had just a few things to purchase. She stood there shmoozing with the clerk after paying for her things, chit chatting about their most recent automobile aquisition while I waited...and waited...and waited, looking at my watch and tapping my foot. I finally spoke up and said, "Do you mind? I'm going to be late for work." Both she and the clerk turned to me and looked at me like I was a bug in their cheese. I sincerely despise rude, nouveau riche women of privelege who wear the equivalent of one of my paychecks on their feet while I struggle to help feed five people.

Tychoman 8 years, 2 months ago

Is it just me or did Kansas feel a little bit more evil today? No? Oh it must have been Dick Cheney, then.

Thursday's forecast: Winds from the northwest, sunny skies with a 100% chance of evil, with a slight dusting of DOOM.

Katara 8 years, 2 months ago

@ HGA

Just another attempt by Marion to turn the conversation into something about him. What an AW!

Katara 8 years, 2 months ago

AW = shorthand for attention whore not something else that has the same initials. Sorry, didn't want to get into obsene territory.

KS 8 years, 2 months ago

cait48 - I had a similar experience with Kathleen Sebelius one time a few years ago. I didn't make a fool of myself by being impolite to her. Two wrongs don't make a right. There are some pretty rude people doing postings to this article. Not the type of people that I would want to call my friend.

Cait McKnelly 8 years, 2 months ago

1. I work nights. It was around 10 pm and the autocheck lane was closed.
  2. I wasn't aware that asking the clerk to do her job was being rude.
  3. It's not jealousy that prompted the shoe remark, it's the fact that I find it inherently unfair that their are people struggling to make ends meet, uninsured children, heck just uninsured people in general, people without enough to eat or a house to live in or a way to even keep themselves warm in winter while the wives of our legislators indulge in conspicuous consumption. And by the way I would have been just as annoyed if it HAD been an aging hippie holding me up!

Tychoman 8 years, 2 months ago

I did sense Kansas becoming a little bit less evil when he left :)

The_Twelve 8 years, 2 months ago

Misplacedcheese-- I've had contact with "the wife." Can't say she's exactly the pin-up Christian girl. In Church and out-of-Church, all religious activists prove their ideology by deed, and as you well know, most are far from Christ-like. (I won't quote applicable Bible verses).

As to Cheney--what the hell has he done for us since he and his oil gang got together to discuss energy policy? If Ryun is so far ahead in the polls, the only reason he showed up was to suck money out of stupid supporters who are willing to support a political system that bleeds money and influence.

KS and Utahr are the heart and lungs of corrupted conservatism-- of all those who believe that it's not enough for their "good deeds" to be rewarded in Heaven, they have to have it here, too.

Nevermind that the destitute get screwed in the process, because they are, as we all know, "blessed" anyway.

Porter 8 years, 2 months ago

"If I were you and lived in rural Baldwin, I'd lock my doors."

Too far. Banter all day long for all I care, but that statement is creepy.