Archive for Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Shooting victim: ‘I’m just done’

911 tapes reveal supervisor wanted friends, family to stop calling to ease tension

October 11, 2006

Hours before she was shot and killed in a standoff with police, a Lawrence woman told a 911 dispatcher, "I don't have anything to lose."

"I'm just done," Marsha L. Mace can be heard telling a dispatcher during her 911 call, made from inside a trailer in which she'd barricaded herself at 110 N. Mich.

At another point, a supervisor can be heard directing someone to ask Mace's friends and family members to stop calling her inside the trailer.

"See if we can just ease the pressure off of her for a bit; see if that doesn't help," he says. "Seems like a lot of folks have been trying to call and talk to her. I don't want to create further tensions."

Those exchanges were part of a series of police dispatch recordings played by the city Tuesday in response to a request by the Journal-World. A detective who had taken up a position behind a squad car shot and killed Mace with a rifle at 1:23 p.m. Sept. 24. - something police say happened only after she emerged from the trailer and began firing a revolver at officers.

About 30 minutes before the shooting a commander on the scene can be heard telling another officer, "Unless it's self-defense, you're the only one authorized."

"That was the tactical commander making sure that all officers knew that unless it was self-defense, they were not to return fire," Lawrence Police spokesman Sgt. Dan Ward said.

In one of several 911 calls she made from inside the trailer, Mace tells the dispatcher she's been diagnosed with brain tumors and had her home foreclosed. At one point, she interrupts the dispatcher by yelling that she won't speak with anyone other than an officer she knew personally.

"I don't have anything to lose. Do you understand where I'm coming from?" Mace asks.

At other points in the recordings, officers can be heard discussing their maneuvers outside the trailer and trying to evacuate neighboring trailers at the Mobile Village trailer park.

The standoff began that morning after a Lawrence Police officer was dispatched to check Mace's welfare. Her boyfriend called police shortly before 9 a.m. and asked officers to go by her home at 443 Ark.

"She called me and wouldn't respond, and I heard some commotion in the background and I'm not sure exactly what it was," the boyfriend can be heard telling a 911 dispatcher. Eventually, officers learned Mace was alone at her father's trailer at Mobile Village.

When an officer first came to the door, Mace fired a gun inside and demanded to speak with an officer she knew, according to the dispatch recordings. The officer wasn't available, but police began negotiating with Mace, first through a public address system and later by phone.

About an hour into the standoff, an officer on the recordings says he learned from Mace's boyfriend that the last time he talked with her, she couldn't find her medication - possibly something that had been prescribed to her through Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center.

Comments

msunderstood 7 years, 10 months ago

If the lpd would tell the whole story you might all understand better. Marsha did NOT fire shots at police when she exited the trailer, I know for a fact all shots fired by her where in the air. So everyone get your stories straight, and let Marsha leave this world with some dignity.

Fatty_McButterpants 7 years, 10 months ago

samsnewplace: I have to disagree with you. A newspaper is not supposed to "give the families some peace". They are supposed to report news as it comes available. If the families are looking to the local paper to give them comfort then perhaps they need a better support network.

cowboy 7 years, 10 months ago

Holy , I think you have misinterpreted my view , i think the department has handled this correctly , my issue is the LJW using this headline , and using the word victim , when it should read something to the effect of further details released ..... Using the word victim in my mind labels the officer as a perpetrator which is very unfair.

msunderstood 7 years, 10 months ago

dthroat may I have your badge number?

samsnewplace 7 years, 10 months ago

LJW.........ENOUGH ALREADY! Give the families some peace and stop harping on this same story line.

msunderstood 7 years, 10 months ago

blue73harley, your badge number would be great also.

monkeyspunk 7 years, 10 months ago

Roger:

Her father's trailer is where she barricaded herself in at, the 110 N. Michigan address.

Her boyfriend must have assumed she was at her residence at 443 Arkansas.

cutelovemonkey38 7 years, 10 months ago

Cowboy, while I agree with you, I also disagree. Yes the LPD handled this correctly, there I agree. But I disagree that Shooting Victim is an incorrect label for this story. A suicidal is still a victim. If she shot herself she is the victim. So even thought the LPD had no choice but to fire at her, she is still a victim, the difference between the officer that was firing is that he is not responsible, she is, therefore, technically she is a victim of suicide. Still a victim none the less.

swampmusic 7 years, 10 months ago

My only comment to Misunderstood is that she is either MISinformed or a blatant flat out liar. And Mmmm1000 cookies is also a LIAR.

msunderstood 7 years, 10 months ago

swampmusic, Were you at the scene of the crime, or the viewing of Marsha 's dead body? I am not a liar nor am I misinformed. I personally saw the gun shot wound to Marsha's head. DID YOU? Also, didn't police at first say she was shot with a nine millimeter, only to say today she was shot with a rifle. I don't think that anyone makes a nine millimeter rifle.

doc1 7 years, 10 months ago

She is not a victim. She committed suicide by cop. The only victim is the guy who has to live being forced to shoot back.

craigers 7 years, 10 months ago

Can we beat a dead horse any further?

cowboy 7 years, 10 months ago

Thanks holy , it would seem that out of respect for the young lady and the officer that the LJW could use a bit more discretion , nuf said

cowboy 7 years, 10 months ago

Definiton of Victim

The person against whom a crime has been committed.

LJW you are just plain incompetent here !

Just what is your agenda ?

cutny 7 years, 10 months ago

Interesingly enough Cowboy, "crime" does not appear anywhere in the definition of "victim." Nice try though...uh...did you actually bother to look the definition up. Try it sometime. They have these things called dictionaries. It's fun. It's easy. Take your pick.

1. a person who suffers from a destructive or injurious action or agency: a victim of an automobile accident.
  2. a person who is deceived or cheated, as by his or her own emotions or ignorance, by the dishonesty of others, or by some impersonal agency: a victim of misplaced confidence; the victim of a swindler; a victim of an optical illusion.
  3. a person or animal sacrificed or regarded as sacrificed: war victims.
  4. a living creature sacrificed in religious rites.

cowboy 7 years, 10 months ago

uh , duh , uh cutny , google definition of victim , has anyone of the editors at LJW gone to J school. It would appear not when looking at this obviously biased , agenda driven headline !

roger_o_thornhill 7 years, 10 months ago

This is another of many LJW articles that has confused be.
"...she'd barricaded herself at 110 N. Mich" "...asked officers to go by her home at 443 Ark"

It doesn't matter to me where it happened, but these seem like two seperate addresses.

"- possibly something that had been prescribed to her through Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center"--Why speculate? Isn't news about facts, not speculation?

swampmusic 7 years, 10 months ago

Misunderstood: Why don't you explain to all of us just how exactly you saw what you claim you saw. No I was not at the scene. I am just an objective citizen. I know nothing more then what i have read in the paper or seen on the news. WHERE YOU AT THE SCENE?????? Don't be like the National Inquirer back up your claims with fact.

monkeywrench1969 7 years, 10 months ago

Boy sounds like Misunderstood needs to be interviewed by the cops...have you come forward to assist in their investigation. Or are you stirring it to create chaos,,,or are you smitty under a different name...

msunderstood 7 years, 10 months ago

How cool they do make a nine millimeter rifle, thanks to all of you for letting me know where to get one. None of the lpd has been interested in interviewing me or do they seem to care what I know. Swampmusic whether I was at the scene or not is none of your business, and why are you so morbidly curiuos about an incident that has no effect on your life? I don't see how you can be objective if your only info is ljw, and I don't feel I have to defend myself to you, because the truth will come out and I will be set free.

msunderstood 7 years, 10 months ago

By the way smitty thank you for some support, maybe if we all band together justice will be served.

dthroat 7 years, 10 months ago

I just cannot believe people (if you want to call them that) can go THIS FAR is spreading pure BS.

misunderstood (actually should probably be misinformation) I was not at the scene but have some history of how police run these type of operations and have SERIOUS DOUBTS that you could have been close enough to see any type of wounds. But obviously, you don't care about facts if you are trying to stir extra s*** about a 9mm rifle, that a LOT of people with knowledge of weapons know about.

And smitty - What can I say?? You just ALWAYS want to stir crap about the LPD/OLIN. You know somebody might actually believe you about somethings, but it is just too much.

I tend to think you and We Slander (Eric) have probably gotten together the way he keeps dragging this story around.

And I don't even think I can comment on 'cookies extreme lack of knowledge of this topic, but freely wants to spiel whatever rumors she heard and chooses to believe as gospel.

There goes 2 minutes of my life I will never get back again, and for no good reason other than these people p*** me off.

Goodnight.

justsomewench 7 years, 10 months ago

msunderstood, you want badge numbers: try 911.

if you have info to be interviewed for, you're wasting your time here. unless, of course, you're into drama and attention, too. birds of a feather, they say.

bottom line: i doubt you'll find whatever grand justice you think will suddenly turn those unfortunate turn of events into a classy deal here. bark away. wrong tree, i imagine.

msunderstood 7 years, 10 months ago

I don't want the unfortunate events to be classy you sick person. I just want you all to know the lpd is covering up alot of very important information. I stated earlier that the officer that shot her made the decision he had to. I feel for him and his family also, but those of us that loved Marsha need to have some things resolved befoe we can rest easy.

msunderstood 7 years, 10 months ago

smitty, I do not know where Olin was, obviously having doughnuts and coffee.

dthroat 7 years, 10 months ago

msunderstood - Just so you know I am not in hiding or scurrying (as smitty would insinuate) I have made my position know on a previous post. I do not have a badge number and haven't for sometime. I USED to be connected to LE a while back (not neccessarily LPD- doesn't matter). Point is I DO KNOW how these situations work and who is and is not close enough to see things they want to later talk about. And I do have "friends" who still talk. So I will call BS when I see it.

And smitty is just like the boy who called wolf too often. She/he has been on this rant for so many years that even if it were good info most sane people wouldn't listen.

justsomewench 7 years, 10 months ago

do you really think you'll magically get the answers you seek from a newspaper's public forum?

msguided may be more fitting.

justsomewench 7 years, 10 months ago

speak out? i thought you wanted answers.

i bet if you could decide what you were trying to accomplish, you might find a way to actually get it.

monkeyspunk 7 years, 10 months ago

Ah it has begun again, the hate the police crowd is back with their sacks full of lies.

Msunderstood just can't seem to get her position straight. First the police were poorly trained then later they are covering up information and then all of a sudden the officer "made the decision he had to."

If you have a gun (or knife for that matter), and the police make the judgement that you could endanger the lives of them or those around you...

THEY CAN USE LETHAL FORCE. PERIOD. They are fully within their rights to do so.

This is a horrible situation that had an equally horrible outcome, but in all honesty it could have been worse.

So put your conspiracy theories away, crawl back under your tin foil helmet and quit embarrasing yourselves.

Its about time someone spoke out for the police. I feel sorry for these men and women, protecting a populace that thinks so poorly of them for no logical reason other than they got pulled over for speeding once or twice.

msunderstood 7 years, 10 months ago

monkeyspunk, obviously you have not read all my blogs. I have done little police bashing, nor did I say they are poorly trained. I just beleive all evidence should be looked at not overlooked, or hidden from the public. You are just as quick to judge an officer as you are a mentally ill person who did not ask to be made mockery of. Remember the people that survive her do they not deserve answers?

justsomewench 7 years, 10 months ago

with neither logic nor literacy, it'll be a long road. the foil might work better.

Bone777 7 years, 10 months ago

I think I wrote that a friend of a friend that knew someone who thought he knew something, said that she had brain cancer.

I guess that that friend of a friend of someone was right.

whitebird 7 years, 10 months ago

We can't change what has happened. We can ask oursleves how can this not happen again.

What can we do as a community to make sure if some needs medication for Mental Health issues that they always have access to these medications even if they do not have money.

What are we doing to ensure when someone is diagnosed with such a terminal illness that support systems are put in place for these people and their families to face their own mortality in a healthy way to make the transtion from here to where ever as smooth as it can be.

What are we doing to help one another with the losses we all feel from such a tragic event.

As for the LPD I doubt many people go to work with the expectaion of shooting another human being though it is apart of the job. Also police are human and we all make mistakes. If you have such concners with your local law enforcement vote in you local elections.

We can't change what happened and placing blame won't change anything but we can learn from what happened try to find something from all of this and try to move forward in hope we can help this from happening again to others.

Leprechaunking13 7 years, 10 months ago

So the LPD knew she had a gun because she had fired in it the home. shouldn't it have clicked in the commanding officers head that she might come out shooting? yes it must have because he gave 1 officer an order to shoot and he was the only one, knowing he was the only one allowed to shoot, couldn't that officer have thought a head of time to aim for a leg or her gun hand maybe? i realize this isnt' the easiest of things to shoot for instead of aiming for the whole body, but aren't police supposed to be master marksman?

Leprechaunking13 7 years, 10 months ago

I never realized she was shot in the head, well in that case I believe my statement is even more correct now they definitly could have gone for a leg, arm or even the hand she was holding up in the air firing the gun with? or maybe they were going for the gun in her hand and our officers are just not the marksmen that they should be and shot her in the head

monkeywrench1969 7 years, 10 months ago

Lepre

Be careful what you believe from Smitty and Misunderstood. Smitty has been stalking Olin on the boards forever constantly bringing up unsubstantiated info on a regular basis.

I have a sinking feeling Mis is SMitty in disguise trying to bolster her cause.

Bottom line is the information is being released as it can obviously. In one of these stories they said the DAs office was going to review the situation and I assume if they think there is a problem they will have someone else investigate further from another agency...maybe even the feds.

The fact they are releasing the stuff ont he radio between the officers does not sound like they are hiding much...plus we may never know everything in the report. I got my car broken into a long time ago, an arrest was made and I asked for a copy of hte report. I only got the front pages becasue of records laws and restrictions. It was my case and I could not get it all. Why do we think the LJW has the honor of getting all the info on a case...

It is a privacy deal for the victim and suspect who will go to court. The LJW refuses to print the name of someone suspected of a sex offense until the guy is convicted why do they think they and SMitty and Misunderstood should have access to all the reports in this case.

Leprechaunking13 7 years, 10 months ago

well if they can hit her in the head they can surely hit an arm or a leg considering that the legs are bigger targets they would just have to aim the gun a little lower gee what a wild and crazy concept

Leprechaunking13 7 years, 10 months ago

wow that's a good 2 foot difference is there usually that much inaccuracy for a trained master marksman with a rifle? I sure hope not for our officers in this town

KansasKid 7 years, 10 months ago

I was present that Sunday.I talked to Marsha on the phone.I talked to her friends and family. Most of you make me upset. Only a few of us were close to Marsha know what happened . Im sure she would say ,WTF is wrong with all these people? We miss you Marsha, we love you !!!

justsomewench 7 years, 10 months ago

i'm guessing she'd say she would've made some different choices, too.

ladywood 7 years, 10 months ago

HAVE YOU PEOPLE NO LIVES?

When is enough enough? I was probally one of the closet people to Marsha during the 6 months before her tragic death. As I read the newspaper articles and your uneducated comments I feel overwhelmed with anger.

Marsha Lynn Mace was one of the sweetest, caring, most loving people I'd ever know. You have spent so much time focusing on her death and how she died without knowing any of the facts that lead up to that tragic day. It's not my style to contribute to these discussions due to the fact that you people are stupid enough to believe everything you read. The articles that have been written have been less then true and only those of us who knew her really have the answers to what happened. I'm making this one time exception for Marsha only because I refuse to remain quite while your ignorance immortilizes her as some kind of loon.

Give it up already, get a life, a hobby, a lover I could care less but let Marsha rest in peace. What happened was tragic but nothing that I or anyone else can say or do will bring her back. Marsha left behind a lot of people who loved her dearly including a son. Let us grieve without your ignorance.

I truly hope that none of you will ever loose a loved one in such a manner but only then will you begin to understand our pain.

Marsha we love and miss you, not a day goes by without you in our thoughts. Happy birthday on October 28th.

dthroat 7 years, 8 months ago

The concept is really easy. You avoid having shots going in different directions, possibly injuring others if they happen to miss (which really does happen a lot).

You also avoid the "tabloid headlines" which would inevitably state 5 (pick your own number) officers open fire on one individual.

Check out the headlines from NYC where numerous officers opened fire and fired 50 rounds or from Florida, where several officers fired a hundered rounds at one person hitting him 60 times.

I guess the LJW would really like to write stories about that kind of thing.

dthroat 7 years, 8 months ago

Smitty -

I understand your confusion on some of the issues, but you are still believing what posters say. Unless I am forgetting something, there has been NO official reports released that say Marsha was shot in the head. But that is not really the issue.

As a FORMER LE person (so you don't think I am hiding) I know how police are taught to shoot. ONLY snipers are trained for the one shot thing. I do not belive this was a sniper situation. Just a special trained, but normal cop doing what he had to.

It is not impossible to shot more than once at a moving target and not hit EXACTLY what you are aiming at.

The implication of standards requiring more than one shooter is outdated. That may have been the case, but like all things, standards evolve. Situations dictate what happens, not just "the book".

Again, I go back to - wouldn't you delight in spinning this if 3, 4, 5, or 10 officers fired on one person. Then you could have a field day on here.