Archive for Wednesday, October 4, 2006

Wal-Mart reopens after small fire

Cutting torch suspected in blaze

October 4, 2006

Firefighters extinguished a small fire Wednesday morning at Wal-Mart, 3300 Iowa St.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical said in a press release that it received the alarm at 8:12 a.m. today, alerted by an automatic fire alarm at the site.

"Initial units arrived to find a smoke haze located in the warehouse area located in the back of the building. The building was evacuated until the exact location of the smoke and fire could be located. A small fire was located in the roof construction over the warehouse area," officials said in the release.

"Once the fire was located and isolated the store was allowed to reopen. No injuries occurred during the incident."

The fire is under investigation; officials said contractors were using a cutting torch near where the blaze started. A damage amount was not available.

Comments

San Cawthorn 8 years, 9 months ago

already trying to burn it down so they have to build another one

bearded_gnome 8 years, 9 months ago

was an illegal alien operating that cutting torch?

Bone777 8 years, 9 months ago

Keep that fire hazard out of NW Lawrence.

jakeman333 8 years, 9 months ago

So for the record, thier is spelled their. And yes, I am filled with corporate hate for WalMart, and I am proud of it. Yes those poor souls that work there need to feed their family, but it is at the expense of all american manufacturing business, morals, quality...the list goes on. Maybe in 10 years when there is not anywhere else to shop but Walmart, you might change your mind. In my opinion, they are a monopoly and should be broken up just like the Bells. The exhibit too much force in the market place and are literally destroying what America is. Oh, and those prices are cheap because each Walmart employee on average takes 2500+ in various government subsidies.

white_mountain 8 years, 9 months ago

small arms fire??? oh my, we really are becoming Topeka aren't we.

sweetpeagj 8 years, 9 months ago

You can hate corporate america monopoly all you want but that doesn't mean employees should have to suffer. I bet you are one of the first ones to complain when they get welfare aren't you?? But burn it down...stupid comments posted all over these boards today. Glad loving and caring went out the window in today's society views.

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 9 months ago

What a strange thread to come from a story about a fire @Wal-Mart. If you don't like Wal-Mart, don't go there. I don't go there, but I don't think it should burn down. The one thing I will say about Wal-Mart is that they buy their loyalty the same way FDR did it back in the thirties.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 9 months ago

correcto...marioni

and downtowner, lots of roof contractors employing illegal mexicans. they haven't banned me yet!

a2thek 8 years, 9 months ago

Walmart is the most corporate pigs corporation of America that I have ever seen and I bet their wage is still just around 6.50hr. That's a great wage to make isnt it. Just ask the hundreds of thousands of woman that dont make as much as men and hold the same title working at Walmart. I am a man so I just have to laugh at all the lawsuits that these woman keep filing ...what they think they are going to take on Walmart and win. If you dont like what you are getting paid go work freaking somewhere else that finds you valuable, dont complain that a man is making more than you. Hell, Tiger Woods up to this day still cannot get a membership at Augusta but do you think he gives a rats A**.... My point is dont hate the players in this world but rather the ones that dont know how to play the game.