Archive for Monday, October 2, 2006

Richardson found guilty on four out of five counts in HIV trial

October 2, 2006

Jurors this morning found a Lawrence man guilty of intentionally exposing three women to HIV but found him not guilty of exposing a fourth.

Jurors said they did not believe Robert W. Richardson II's story that he thought it was physically impossible to expose the women, given that his drug regimen had lowered the level of the virus in his blood.

"I think he was lying to himself as much as he was lying to them," juror Melissa Padgett said afterward. "It makes me feel sorry for him in a way, but you don't have the right to play with other people like that."

Jurors found Richardson guilty of exposing three women in the past year by having sex with them without telling them he was HIV-positive. One woman he met online, one he met working at the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, and one he met through Kansas University's Society of Open-Minded Atheists and Agnostics. But jurors said there was not enough evidence to prove he exposed a fourth woman he met online who claimed he removed a condom during sex.

Richardson, 30, remains in jail and will be sentenced Nov. 22. He likely faces probation under state sentencing guidelines, but the conviction means he probably would go to prison if convicted of other cases pending against him in Lyon and Wyandotte counties. He also has a charge pending in Johnson County, Mo.

Comments

acg 8 years, 5 months ago

OMB, I get little bursts of pleasure watching you bust Marion's chops on a daily basis. Keep up the good work!

Confrontation 8 years, 5 months ago

I wonder if Marion is out celebrating at The Last Call? I hope this guy rots! I also hope he is forced to get his hair cut.

prioress 8 years, 5 months ago

Good decision. Sad situation and a sign of our times.

nekansan 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm glad he was convicetd but what could his hair possibly have to do with it.

lonelyboy 8 years, 5 months ago

Warning HIV Positive...but on drugs .... Watch out Bubba ....!!!!!!!!!!!

Centrist 8 years, 5 months ago

Let's hope that Lyon Co, KS, Wyandotte Co KS and Johnson Co MO don't screw it up ...

I think it's a powerful message that "liberal" Douglas Co was able to get 3 of 4 guilty verdicts.

switzerland 8 years, 5 months ago

Not that this matters, but he already did get a haircut.

cutny 8 years, 5 months ago

wow Marion, love the third-person approach you take to your own persona. It's so...meta and self-referential, kinda like P. Diddy. Hope you're driving not man, happy birthday. Regarding this story, I think it is naive to think that this guy is the only one in town who is HIV+ and having unprotected sex with unsuspecting partners. Anyone that is not in a monogamous relationship needs to protect themselves and not rely on an intimate stranger to be honest with you, or the law to protect you.

Deb Stavin 8 years, 5 months ago

Just my two cents, but I wish posters to this forum would focus the issues in the LJW articles, instead of making personal comments about or to each other.

Bone777 8 years, 5 months ago

Marion- With all the hot air you are full of, I don't think you should have any problems blowing out the candles on your cake.

Finding a lady in Westport that likes you intellect?
Now that's a different story.

P.S. dstavin - What's the fun in that?

Termcd4 8 years, 5 months ago

ok, am i missing something? Who is Marion? And arent we talking about Richardson's horrible hair? I have noticed his hair, and have wondered from the beginning, why in the world would ANY woman find him attractive, let alone 4!!!!!!!!!!!!

Becca 8 years, 5 months ago

Oh, and I used to live in Emporia(Lyon Co), was born and raised there, and I can tell you they will screw it up. That town is full of idiots. Worse than here.

Bone777 8 years, 5 months ago

Ooops. Well 'you' or your intellect.

Bone777 8 years, 5 months ago

Termcd4- Marion is the Robert W. Richardson II, of the internet.

Termcd4 8 years, 5 months ago

help me Bone, I still dont get it....why are we calling the guy that was convicted Marion? Why is he going to a bar...to fool more stupid chics into having sex with him, despite his awful hair??

Bone777 8 years, 5 months ago

I didn't mean that literally. He is like Richardson in that he infects our computers with his viral thinking.

Marion is a "poster" that is very opionated, usually very polarized in his views, and likes to insult.

Termcd4 8 years, 5 months ago

ok, got it Bone, thanks for the 411...and thanks for not callin' me stupid in this public forum...i appreciate your patience!

Confrontation 8 years, 5 months ago

nekansan: His hair has nothing to do with the verdict. However, it still looked horrible. I'm very happy to hear that he cut it so he could look better for court. Obviously, this didn't help him and that's a good thing.

Have fun, Marion!!! Use protection!

Bone777 8 years, 5 months ago

The best protection Marion could use, would be to open his mouth.

Wilbur_Nether 8 years, 5 months ago

Sorry, one_more_bob. Unfortunately, I just demonstrated again that ironic tones don't e-translate well.

bruhahax 8 years, 5 months ago

Best news of the day unless you like reading about a dirty congressman.

See ya Rob!

bearded_gnome 8 years, 5 months ago

how did this Richardson get so successful with women? I mean, he's charged with what most onto a dozen...different! amazing.

maybe he could instruct Marion.

Sigmund 8 years, 5 months ago

"He likely faces probation under state sentencing guidelines, but the conviction means he probably would go to prison if convicted of other cases pending against him in Lyon and Wyandotte counties."

I don't see him doing much more than a year or two at the most... http://www.sedgwickcounty.org/da/sentencing_grid.html

Sigmund 8 years, 5 months ago

I am not really sure Marion, or anyone for that matter, would want the type of women who are so easily bedded. Those types of women tend to be diseased. Go figure.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 5 months ago

obviously...I was in sarcasm mode siggy.