Archive for Monday, October 2, 2006

Immigration caseload pulls Kan. judges to N.M.

October 2, 2006

— Federal judges in Wichita have had to help out in New Mexico, which doesn't have enough judges to hear all of its illegal immigrations cases.

J. Thomas Marten and Monti Belot have been sitting in on federal cases in Las Cruces, N.M., to hear immigration cases which, two years ago, surpassed drugs and weapons charges as the most prosecuted crimes by the U.S. government. The judges estimate that immigration issues take up nearly half their criminal dockets.

Brent Anderson, who prosecutes immigration cases in Kansas, has also witnessed the flood of cases along the Rio Grande, while helping out at the U.S. attorney's office in El Paso, Texas.

"At the border you have to see it to believe it, and if you don't see it you don't believe it," Anderson said. "But it's not just at the border anymore. It's now in the interior of the United States, and it's increasing."

Immigration cases have also nearly doubled in Kansas the past three years, and continue climbing, Anderson said. He estimates half of all criminal cases in Wichita's federal courthouse include defendants who are illegal immigrants. They're accused of illegally working in the U.S., or transporting illegal immigrants or coming back after being deported. They also face drug and weapons charges.

"That tells you there's something going on in our society," Anderson said. "And that is, law enforcement is spending half of its time investigating foreign nationals illegally in the United States. That means those resources aren't available for other things."

Chicago lawyer Taher Kameli said immigration cases probably will continue to increase in Kansas and states to the south.

A graduate of Washburn Law School, Kameli formerly worked for the Shawnee County district attorney's office in Topeka. Now, he travels across the country practicing what he calls immigration criminal defense.

When judges Marten and Belot head southwest, they face what some local judges and lawyers call "the rocket docket."

"The last time I went there, on my first day, we picked five juries," Marten said. "We started at 9 o'clock in the morning and went until 8 that night. We had four trials over the next seven days, and we had a jury left for the next judge coming in."

Nationwide, a federal judge can expect to handle 87 felony cases at one time.

With such a crunch on the courts, efficiency is crucial. Pre-sentence reports are prepared well in advance and prosecutors and defense lawyers must work together to arrive at a fair plea deal for the defendants.

"I feel, and I think everybody down there feels, justice is done," Belot said. "Even though the volume is greater, and people are moved through the system faster, every attempt is being made to treat the people reasonably."

Comments

ASBESTOS 7 years, 6 months ago

The reason you do not "see" these things is because you are looking for them or do not want to see them, akin to the ostrich with his head in the sand.

Not looking is not the same as having an intellect or debating from fact.

You are clueless. Your opinions mean nothing on this issue. You like it so much, MOVE TO MEXICO, see how well they treat you.

Wilbur_Nether 7 years, 6 months ago

Sorry, ASBESTOS, my bad. Imagine how stupid I feel now, having thought that you actually had factual bases for your opinions and assertions. I now understand that because this is a blog that no assertions written herein need be supported using any kinds of data. This will save me lots of time in the future, since I no longer feel the need to be informed on an issue before I come to a conclusion on what should be done about it.

ASBESTOS 7 years, 6 months ago

WIlbur you are a non reading idiot and have illegal alien blinders on. THis is a blog and you want studies for everything? Watch the news and cruze around the blogs looking for official documents.

It is all relevant to the problem because all of this encourages illegal immigration.

Wilbur_Nether 7 years, 6 months ago

ASBESTOS, I appreciate your thoughtful responses. I'd like to follow up, if I may. First, since GreenBush isn't involved in the deportation hearings or the like, I'm confused as to why it is relevant here. In fact, in perusing their website I didn't see a single thing that referred to illegal immigrants--only to the children of migrant workers, who are not necessarily illegal. Second, the problem isn't lobbying Congress--let the Mexican government spend as much as they want on it. I'm curious what results they're getting for their $17million. Third, I missed the poll that asked the question "are you tired of illegal immigrants?"--seems like a poorly phrased question to me, which leads the respondent to a previously conceived conclusion. I also missed the study on the reasons women immigrate to the U.S., as well as the report on the Mexican Health Care System. Which studies were those? Fourth, I have to admit that not only have I not screamed about voter fraud in 2000 but that I was actually rooting for the election to get thrown to the House of Representatives. I haven't seen any stats at all on the percentage of illegal immigrants who vote fraudulently. I'm curious to know the studies that quantify that. Fifth, I will gladly turn in employers who employ illegal immigrants. How will I know which employees fall into this category? Sixth, I'm glad to hear that we stay out of Mexico's affairs. My friends from Mexico (all of whom have visited legally, by the way) don't believe that to be the case, and actually view our government as quite meddlesome on topics such as their relationship with Cuba, their neutrality in various world events, water rights, and narcotics. I am sure they will feel similarly relieved to have their perceptions corrected. Seventh, you and I have read some very different studies on the effect of NAFTA and CAFTA, ASBESTOS. I found studies that concluded NAFTA resulted in more real exports than imports, although both increased. And, that the jobs created pay more than the jobs lost. Eighth, it looks like the problem is being solved since cities and States are getting tough and the word is out on the streets and discouraging illegal immigrants. Since that is the case, why is the rest of this important?

ljreader, your laundry list of ills exclusively caused by illegal immigration missed that they are unslicing our bread.

ljreader 7 years, 6 months ago

Unfortunately, there are a good number of illegal immigrants here whose idea of getting a better life doesn't include just working. There is increased crime that comes with illegal immigration including theft of both property and social security numbers, document (and welfare) fraud, drug and human smuggling, rapes, murders, drunk driving- any crime imaginable that we have here already is increased by illegal immigrants who also engage in criminal activity. That's why we are spending taxpayer money in our courts. Even though they comprise 5-10% of our population, 30% of the prison population here are illegal immigrants- imprisoned for crimes other than unlawfully staying or coming into our borders. This alone costs taxpayers 3 million bucks PER DAY. Besides backing up our courts with increased crime, they are overcrowding schools, closing American hospitals, emergency rooms and clinics, bringing in the lion's share of drugs , competing with our own poor for affordable housing, jobs, and social services, and lowering wages. It would be cheaper (and so much fairer to American citizens) to enforce immigration laws and keep them out to begin with.

ASBESTOS 7 years, 6 months ago

"due process" and the rest of the constitution is only guarnteed for US Citizens.

Multiple issues here.

First here is a website for "GreenBush" which is called an "Interlocal 609" school District...WITH NO STUDENTS!! This is their website on "Migrant Education". Yes YOU and WE are paying for it.

Second, Mexico FORBIDS any activities to participate in their government from non nationals or other countries, YET at the same time they are spending in excess of $17 MIllion lobbying OUR US Halls of Congress.

Third, about 90% of the US Citizens are tired of illegal immigrants according to most polls.

In the border town these women from Mexico cross the border for one reason: to have their baby. This baby is an anchor baby, and it is FREE birthing from the US taxpayer. In Mexico a woman has to pay $1000 UP FRONT for birthing. 70-80% of the births in the border towns along the Mexican border are illegal immigrant woman, MOST are NOT MARRIED.

Fourth, there is NO ONE with a right mind to complain about voting fraud, then in the same breath complain about requireing citizens to present Photo ID (provided at NO COST to thr poor) in order to vot in our elections. You can scream about the vote in 2000, but it will get much worse without a voter ID bill. BTW, what if that "other party" gets the illegal votes?

FIfth, Turn in EVERYONE that HIRES ILLEGALS!! DO you think for one minute that these companies are above board and in compliance with Taxation laws, or employee safety laws, if they are not in compliance with illegal immigration employee laws????? TURN IN EMPLOYERS OF ILLEGALS!!!

Sixth, Tell Mexico to mind it's own business and not to stick it's nose in our affairs. We stay our of theirs, they need to but our and shut the H up when it comes to illegal immigration.

Seventh, NAFTA and CAFTA are FAILURES. IT did nothing for the other countries and instead of the 11% gain, we have retracted to a 4% loss of production value for all participating countries.

Eight, the word is out and the illegals know it. States and Cities are getting tough. This tide of illegal aliens will go to where there is no regulations and they will congregate there. Guess where that is. That's right Kansas and the Wichita and Hutch area. Hope you like skyrockjeting crime, gang rapes, building extra maternity wings on hospitals, and gang violence. It is coming your way unless YOU STEM THE TIDE NOW WITH TOUGH ENFORCEMENT OF CURRENT IMMIGRATION LAWS!!!!

Wilbur_Nether 7 years, 6 months ago

KsTwister spun out the question "WHY are we spending taxpayers money in our court systems"?

This is just a guess on my part, but my guess would be "due process of law." Give them an opportunity to a fair defense; to confront the State's witnesses against them; to demonstrate that they are not, in fact, illegal immigrants. Again, it's only a guess, but I remember reading something somewhere about that whole due process thing.

KsTwister 7 years, 6 months ago

If immigrants are here illegally then WHY are we spending taxpayers money in our court systems to send them back? Just show them the door,they knew the law when they broke it.