Archive for Monday, October 2, 2006

Detroit offensive lineman hurts neck on kickoff

Davis taken to hospital, appears to be OK

October 2, 2006


— Detroit Lions offensive lineman Frank Davis was taken off the field on a truck in St. Louis after he injured his neck on the opening kickoff of the second half against the Rams.

Davis was taken to a hospital, and coach Rod Marinelli said the injury did not appear serious.

"It appears everything is going to be fine with Frank," Marinelli said. "All the X-rays and everything were negative right now."

Davis was blocking on the return when he went down at about the Detroit 17.

He was down for several minutes, during which trainers unscrewed the face mask from his helmet. He was placed on a board, then lifted onto the back of a truck. Players from both teams stood on the field silently, some bending to one knee.

Jets running back Cedric Houston was carted from the field after injuring his left knee on a run in the third quarter against the Colts.

Houston ran the ball up the middle on third-and-goal from the Colts 2 with 5:18 left in the quarter, but was tackled by Dwight Freeney for no gain. He remained on the ground, obviously in pain, and was attended by Jets trainers.

He got up after a few minutes, but was assisted to the sideline by trainers and didn't put any weight on his left leg.

In Houston, Mike Brisiel, a rookie guard on the Texans practice squad, collapsed on the sideline during the first quarter against Miami. Team officials said Brisiel was ill, but his condition was not serious. He was not playing in the game. After about five minutes of being treated, Brisiel hopped onto a stretcher under his own power and was taken to the locker room.

Also, Miami defensive end Jason Taylor injured his ribs in the first quarter.

Falcons center Justin Hartwig, a former Kansas University player, missed his third straight game with a pulled groin.

Also, Saints special-teamer Curtis Deloatch suffered a right hamstring injury during a first-quarter punt and did not return. Cowboys center Andre Gurode needed stitches above his forehead and beneath his eye after being kicked by Titans tackle Albert Haynesworth.

The incident occurred after Dallas had taken a a two-touchdown lead in the third quarter.

Others injured: Colts tight end Ben Utecht (bruised back), Bills right guard Chris Villarrial (sprained ankle) and Vikings safety Darren Sharper (left quadriceps).


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.