Archive for Monday, November 20, 2006

Man injured in Cat Tracker accident still critical

November 20, 2006

A Salina man remains in a Kansas City, Kan., hospital with critical injuries a day after being involved in an accident while riding atop the Cat Tracker bus.

University of Kansas Hospital spokesman Dennis McCulloch said Sunday that a man identified by the Salina Journal as former sports reporter Chris Orr remained in critical condition Sunday afternoon at the hospital.

Orr's family was not prepared to comment on the accident near an overpass in the 1700 block of Iowa Street that killed another person Saturday afternoon before the KU-Kansas State University football game at Memorial Stadium in Lawrence.

Orr was flown by air ambulance to the hospital shortly after the accident Saturday.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Michael Monroe said late Sunday that the case had been turned over to detectives and that he had no further information to release, including the name of the other victim.

The Cat Tracker bus, used for years by K-State football fans to travel to and from games, is owned by Manhattan attorney and developer Robert Pottroff, according to the most recent available state records.

Those records show the business was incorporated as Kat Tracker Promo's LLC but last filed an annual report in 1993.

Pottroff also is associated with Skyscapes of Lawrence LLC, the development company working to build mixed-use property near 12th and Indiana streets, the current location of Yello Sub, The Crossing and other businesses and residential housing.

Pottroff could not be reached for comment Sunday.

Comments

Shardwurm 8 years, 1 month ago

A tragic situation. I'm very sorry for the families involved. This weekend was a nightmare for them.

I'm curious about the silence and lack of information though. Will be interesting to hear the facts when they do come out.

tkofford 8 years, 1 month ago

I heard that there were people on "the roof deck" and that they might have hit that bridge at Iowa & 17th. If true, it must have been a horrific scene

Displayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

What the hell were they doing riding on the roof deck in the first place???
My condolences to the family of the deceased and I hope the injured man recovers fully, but they shouldn't blame anyone but themselves if they were indeed riding on the roof deck.

Mama 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm just curious why no name or information has been released on the deceased?

Emily Hadley 8 years, 1 month ago

Radio news reports today did say that the two were struck by the bridge while riding on top of the bus on Iowa, that nobody is allowed on top while the bus is in motion, and that the driver was unaware that they were up there.

Who knows how strict they are with that rule, but that much is public.

Sometimes it takes a while for all immediate family members to deal with it, and they often choose to contact others personally, such as close friends and grandparents, so they don't hear it in the news.

Kontum1972 8 years, 1 month ago

ilovelucy 8 years, 1 month ago

bender 8 years, 1 month ago

An AP release has identified the man who died:

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -- A 27-year-old Shawnee man is identified by Lawrence police as the victim of Saturday's fatal accident involving a bus carrying K-State football fans.

Police said today that John Green was pronounced dead at the scene and 34-year-old Christian D. Orr of Salina remains in critical condition at University of Kansas Hospital.

Shardwurm 8 years, 1 month ago

The same article mentions that people on the bus were asked not to discuss what they saw for litigation purposes. This makes some sense...but what about the official police report? That's public information.

Nikki May 8 years, 1 month ago

KMBC kansascitychannel.com had a quote that said, "Pottroff, of Manhattan, said the No. 1 rule on the bus, which is not affiliated with Kansas State University, is that there is no standing on the roof deck." Also there were 8 people up there according to that same article. So, they were either allowed up there but not standing, or not at all. Hopefully, they won't have people up there at all when it's moving now.

Kristen Murphy 8 years, 1 month ago

It's a real shame that it happened. The van is pretty cool in person. I'm praying for the families of the deceased and the family of the man who's in critical condition.

jkauerbach 8 years, 1 month ago

Please pray for this family. They are very dear friends of mine. They need the prayers badly!

pelliott 8 years, 1 month ago

usually police reports follow the investigation. It sounds like they need to ask questions. I am not in a hurry, I am sorry for the family. i do hate football though.

Shardwurm 8 years, 1 month ago

Yeah...you're right. It doesn't really matter how it happened. It's just a total tragedy all around.

jkauerbach let them know that people really do empathize with them. So sorry.

Hotch 8 years, 1 month ago

Yes Informed, I noticed that also. I wanted to clear up the law on riding in back of pickups. I am not sure but I think that bus was so old it didn't matter, I checked about riding ontop of my firetruck and they cops said vehicles made before 77 are not required to have seatbelts so they are exempt for seating rules. They told me I could pile all the people on I wanted! All these laws, seatbelts, and safety this and that, someday they will put a soldier in our bathroom with a rifle to make sure we brush our teeth in the morning!