Archive for Thursday, November 16, 2006

Simpson tells how he would have killed

November 16, 2006

— O.J. Simpson created an uproar Wednesday with plans for a TV interview and book titled "If I Did It" - an account the publisher pronounced "his confession" and media executives condemned as revolting and exploitive.

Fox, which plans to air an interview with Simpson Nov. 27 and 29, said Simpson describes how he would have committed the 1994 slayings of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman, "if he were the one responsible."

Denise Brown, sister of Simpson's slain ex-wife, lashed out at publisher Judith Regan of ReganBooks for "promoting the wrongdoing of criminals" and commercializing abuse. The book goes on sale Nov. 30.

She added, "It's unfortunate that Simpson has decided to awaken a nightmare that we have painfully endured and worked so hard to move beyond."

Regan refused to say what Simpson is being paid for the book but said he came to her with the idea. "This is an historic case, and I consider this his confession," she told The Associated Press.

Simpson was acquitted in 1995 of murder after a trial that became an instant cultural flashpoint and a source of racial tension. The former football star was later found liable for the deaths in a wrongful-death suit filed by the Goldman family. In the years since, he has been mocked relentlessly by late-night comedians, particularly for his vow to hunt down the real killers.

"He's willing to tell the world how he 'would' murder his children's mother and Ron. Sick," Goldman's father, Fred Goldman, said on CNN's "Larry King Live" Wednesday night.

O.J. Simpson and his wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, celebrate the opening of the Harley-Davidson Cafe in this Oct. 19, 1993, file photo. O.J. Simpson has a book coming out titled "If I Did It," describing how he would have killed Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman.

Simpson has failed to pay the $33.5 million judgment against him in the civil case. His NFL pension and his Florida home cannot legally be seized.

The victim' families could go after the proceeds from the book's sales to pay off the judgment. But one legal analyst said there are ways to get around that requirement - like having proceeds not go directly to Simpson.

"Clever lawyering can get you a long way," said Laurie Levenson, a Loyola University law school professor and former federal prosecutor who has followed the case closely.

Levenson noted that the criminal justice system's protection against double jeopardy means Simpson's book, explosive as it may be, should not expose him to any new legal danger. She added that Simpson could create an extra layer of insulation from any legal worries by presenting the story hypothetically.

"He can write pretty much whatever he wants," Levenson said. "Unless he's confessing to killing somebody else, he can probably do this with impunity."

Simpson did not return numerous calls for comment. Simpson attorney Yale Galanter said he did not know about the book or the interview until this week.

"The book was not done through our office," Galanter said. "I did not have anything to do with the negotiations of the book. This was strictly done between O.J. and others."

He said there is "only one chapter that deals with their deaths and that chapter, in my understanding, has a disclaimer that it's complete fiction."

On Amazon.com on Wednesday, the 240-page book was being offered for $16.47. An image of the cover featured Simpson's face and the title "If I Did It," with "If" highlighted in white and the other letters in red.

Patricia Schroeder, president and chief executive officer of the American Association of Publishers, described the developments as sickening.

"But I think it's going to stir an awful lot of debate and make the culture take a real look at itself, and that may not be unhealthy," she said.

One thing that seemed certain was that the book and interview - which Fox will air at the end of the crucial sweeps month - were bound to generate a torrent of publicity.

Shari Anne Brill, a television analyst for the Madison Avenue firm Carat USA, predicted public interest would rival that of the 2003 interview with Michael Jackson, seen by 27 million people.

Comments

craigers 7 years, 9 months ago

Just when you think somebody is at their lowest point, they go and do something like this and make you think even less of them.

hockmano 7 years, 9 months ago

I think the entire thing is sick, to say the least. I feel sorry for his children.

What I am intrigued by, is the way the legal system works. If the proceeds go to someone else, then the families of Nicole and Ron have no legal claim to any compensation. Also, the double jeopardy issue is definitely going to work to his advantage.

Hypothetical my butt! This is the real deal!

BrianR 7 years, 9 months ago

The thing that's fascinating to me is that no one said, "Hey OJ, that's a bad idea."

Sean Livingstone 7 years, 9 months ago

But thanks for all of us, most of us WILL watch his program and WILL buy his book just to be "fun". It's sick, I WILL NEVER BUY HIS BOOK, if I'm the judge, I will reopen a trial to prove that he's guilty!

jonas 7 years, 9 months ago

I think I'll wait until it's made into a video game. Maybe by then I'll own a PS3.

craigers 7 years, 9 months ago

If I'm not mistaken Agnostick, from other conversations I think 75x55 said he was an African American. But I guess you can be racist to your own race???

Linda Endicott 7 years, 9 months ago

Why can't the families touch his NFL pension or his Florida home? Does anyone know?

Doesn't sound right to me...but whoever said the legal system was fair...

BOE 7 years, 9 months ago

" Fox, which plans to air an interview with Simpson... "

====

I wonder if Simpson's payoff will be garnisheed by the civil suit against him?

Whatever the case, a big "Hats off", to Fox. Now, any future plans of "lowering the bar", will necessarily include renting a trencher.

conservative 7 years, 9 months ago

Marion,

Come now, pointing out typos? You? Really?

Hope you get the Frod fixed soon.

Lonestar1 7 years, 9 months ago

It would figure that Fox would carry it. Maybe on O'Reilly??

BOE 7 years, 9 months ago

Thanks, Marion.

I'd always though it was foods (deserts, salads, etc) that were garnished.

Kathy Getto 7 years, 9 months ago

Actually Marion is very correct. Instead of worrying about wether OJ really did it? Worry about the right to a trial by a jury of your peers being the next right axed by our current regime.

Kathy Getto 7 years, 9 months ago

I believe if constructed properly, the shiny side would be on both the inside and outside. Makes sense.

sublime 7 years, 9 months ago

"If I did it"? Ho please !!!It should be called "I DID IT"

MyName 7 years, 9 months ago

silly people. I said nothing about his being black (implies your own obsession with race) - my subtle implication was that he was stupid.

Your statement was really ambiguous. You said "why couldn't you just pull over like the rest of us" But you didn't say who "us" was. Were you saying normal drivers? Other black people (like OJ)? Other people wacked out on drugs and alcohol and driving? Other people running from the police (like OJ on the highway)? You gotta be more specific about this stuff. Unless you were intentionally baiting people for a reaction, in which case, carry on.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 9 months ago

I always thought he was guilty.

I don't understand how anyone who is truly innocent could even THINK of pulling a stunt like this. I would think he'd want to distance himself as far as possible from the whole thing.

He didn't even discuss this with his attorney, who is 100% against it.

You are attempting to equate someone's car with two human lives, Marion? To hell with the car. You can always get another one. You can't bring back people.

What is he thinking? Can you imagine how his children are going to view all of this?

MyName 7 years, 9 months ago

Marion:

I have no idea what connection you've made between a federal drug law involving civil forfeiture and a state wrongful death suit. They are both civil actions, but they are under different statutes, and even different jurisdictions. The big difference is that OJ Simpson has money to protect himself from these sorts of things while Joe Blow potsmoker in your analogy doesn't. If OJ was a poor nobody, he would be sitting in prison today.

In any case, nobody out there is making a bunch of money writing a book about how they "might" store pot in their car. The OJ Simpson case is a perversion of justice because someone to not only get away with murder, but actually made money off of a wrongful death. What's next, a bestselling book from the BTK killer? How about the Unabomber? There is something really wrong here.