Archive for Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Lawrence carjacking ends in Missouri

Incident started with criminal damage at grocery store

November 14, 2006, 9:14 a.m. Updated November 14, 2006, 11:49 a.m.

A carjacking that started in Lawrence this morning ended at 11:33 a.m., deep into Missouri.

The suspect quickly surrendered to police after his purloined vehicle was forced into the median on a road near Deepwater, Mo., after a chase that covered more than two hours and nearly 130 miles. There were no injuries.

The van was taken shortly after 9 a.m. by a man suspected of causing criminal damage at Checkers, 23rd and Louisiana streets.

The suspect - identified by authorities as Brandon Callahan - was 24-year-old man who had worked at the store four years, and was an apprentice in the meat department, according to store director Mike Smith. A week ago the employee requested a leave of absence because of personal problems, Smith said. He was to return to the store today and talk to management.

The suspect, however, came to the store and then threw a shopping cart into a window of a van parked outside the store, Smith said. Police were called.

While being pursued on foot by police, the man took a van parked at a gas station in the 1700 block of Massachusetts Street - pulling the driver out of the vehicle, then taking off, according to witnesses. The van then headed east on 23rd Street and Kansas Highway 10.

The pursuit had crossed into Johnson County, with state troopers joining the pursuit, by 9:24 a.m. The suspect van then headed south on Kansas Highway 7 near Olathe.

By 11:18 a.m., the vehicle was still being chased - near Deepwater, Mo., about 130 miles from where the chase began in Lawrence. He was being pursued through a rural area by Missouri Highway Patrol troopers. Live television coverage showed troopers throwing "stop sticks" in the path of the van; the vehicle appeared to have lost both front tires and at least one rear tire, and was running on rims. Still, the pursuit continued at slow speeds, with the van clipping parked cars at the intersection of a rural road at one point.

At 11:30 a.m., one pursuit car was seen bumping the rear of the van in an apparent attempt to force the van off the road, to no effect.

Comments

mom_of_three 10 years ago

My husband passed all of state troopers on his way to work.

amylou 10 years ago

The guy almost hit me on my way to work!! I've never seen anything like it!

Gabe Hoffman 10 years ago

doh, i was about 10 minutes ahead of it.

mom_of_three 10 years ago

My husband was about 30 seconds ahead of it. He called to find out what was going on because the troopers had guns drawn.
You don't see too many chases like that in our area.

mom_of_three 10 years ago

live on kmbc channel 9 or kmbc.com

kansasnative 10 years ago

It was live on Fox 4 - they got him. He got out of the van and followed police orders - so it seems he was finally arrested without incident. (Well, other than a 2 hour chase) Lots of close calls with Semi Trucks! I hope no one was hurt during the chase!

ohjayhawk 10 years ago

Wow, I used to work at Checkers. I didn't recognize the guy though. Almost looked to be too young to have worked there when I was there. I have no other word (at least not a nice word) for the guy than what has already been used... idiot!

cornflakegirl 10 years ago

thanks for the link, momofthree. clicked on it just in time to see the end of the chase! what excitement for a tuesday morning on Lawrence!

JerkStore 10 years ago

Please tell me CJ Giles was driving.

Angel Gillaspie 10 years ago

Since you bag your own groceries at Checkers, the paper vs. plastic debate doesn't really apply. He was an employee and had asked for a leave of absence for personal reasons. He had come back today to talk to the management. I wonder if they told him he couldn't have his job back...

JerkStore 10 years ago

"was an apprentice in the meat department"

so...many...jokes...

Dave McClain 10 years ago

He wanted a roundabout put in at 23rd and Louisiana in front of Checkers!

mom_of_three 10 years ago

He was dressed in shorts and no shoes, so it makes me wonder if he lost those in the original footchase trying to elude police.
Can't wait to hear about this one. I used to work in retail and worried about retaliation from some former employees.

ronwell_dobbs 10 years ago

Note to self: lock doors while sitting in van while gas is pumping.

whatdoyouthink 10 years ago

I hope nobody got hurt during the pursuit.

mom_of_three 10 years ago

According to KMBC, the driver of the van argued with the carjacker before giving up his van. The knife must have been a big influence.

Charlie Bannister 10 years ago

I was on the phone with my sister this morning and she said turn to Fox 4. We stayed on the phone together through a good portion of it. At one point it showed the guy going through an intersection just missing a fast moving car and a semi, right between the two! What a dumb individual! I do not for the life of me understand what goes through peoples' minds when they do this kind of a thing. All he was facing was some criminal damage to property, probably a misdemeanor. Now he has carjacking, aggravated battery (with the knife), numerous traffic citations, AND criminal damage. Federal penitentiary now, when it might have been just probation and reimbursement of costs. Checkers is lucky he is gone.

ranger73 10 years ago

I'm suprised none of the "police lovers" of the world aren't on complaining about chasing this guy across the countryside...

Dude has some serious problems-and not just with the police-good thing he didn't hurt any innocent bystanders.

adky 10 years ago

The police always get this wrong. Follow the dude with a helicopter and wait until he is out of gas. Will the owner of the van be compenasated for the cops rear ending his vehicle? I doubt it.....

white_mountain 10 years ago

I think I know which meat apprentice they're talking about. I've seen him in that store quite a few times. He had crazy eyes.

conservative 10 years ago

adky,

They followed him for a long time and he was putting others in danger. Waiting until he was alone again and then forcing him off the road before he actually slammed into another car was the responsible and right way to handle him.

Mary Sucha 10 years ago

countrygirl 10 years ago

I don't think the van owner's liability insurance is going to cover this. Let's hope he had full coverage.

craigers 10 years ago

I would have loved to be that cop and get to bump the van out of control. How cool would that be?

kj 10 years ago

I'd like to see a picture of the guy. I am curious to see if it is the strange employee that followed me around the store.

Steve Jacob 10 years ago

Can you guess what happened? He went back to work, only to find out he no longer had a job. Does not excuse what he did.

He still may not get much time. No weapon and no one hurt (by luck), if he does not have a record.

kj 10 years ago

They said that he had a knife when he carjacked the van.

sublime 10 years ago

Personal problems?Grand theft auto,assault,not to mention all the traffic laws he broke.See you in three to five years idiot........Don't drop the soap tough guy

samsnewplace 10 years ago

almost 4:30 and no name, what's up LJW??

nlf78 10 years ago

Fox 4's website has given the suspects name and I guess police are calling him suicidal.

Confrontation 10 years ago

"I asked him why he didn't stop. He said police were chasing him," Trooper Collin Stosberg said.

Theory proven: Ask a stupid question, expect a stupid answer.

Bone777 10 years ago

white_mountain 10 years ago

Too late.. looks like Bone got "re-educated"

Bone777 10 years ago

from_beautiful_downtown_topeka - thanks

I think Ramirez ratted me to the "Poster Police".

I got a: (This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of use policy.)

wordsofwisdom 10 years ago

My guess is he will claim a psychotic break

Bone777 10 years ago

I heard that his work piled up on him when he was gone on requested leave .

When he got back the head butcher wanted him to tenderize 40 lbs. of steak in front of the other employees.

He became angry and told the butcher that.........

Never mind. I am not going to get another (This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of use policy.)

RightinLawrence 10 years ago

Couldn't believe it...I am here in LA...home of the daily car chase. I turn on FoxNews and what do I see?? I see a chase from Lawrence, Kansas. I'll be home tomorrow and I am sure the chases will return here to LA as usual.

bearded_gnome 10 years ago

AHA! so, you're the reason we got the car chase today, some kinda cosmic balance? hope you don't go to Florida next, we don't need a gator attack in Lawrence!