Archive for Saturday, November 11, 2006

I-70 rollover wreck sends 2 to hospital

November 11, 2006

Two Lawrence residents, Alan and Janet Brummell, both 57, were taken to the hospital by air ambulance Friday afternoon after a rollover wreck on the Kansas Turnpike.

The wreck happened on eastbound I-70 just west of the Lecompton Interchange about 4:30 p.m. when Alan Brummell fell asleep at the wheel of a Toyota SUV. The vehicle left the road and rolled over in a ditch, according to a report. He suffered minor injuries. Janet Brummell broke an arm and a leg, according to a report. Updates on their conditions were not available Friday night.

Comments

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 5 months ago

Rollover? In a SUV? I thought the whole justification for these monstrosities was their "safety" aspects.

geppetto 8 years, 5 months ago

Irish you must be a perfect person full of in-perfections. These people are in a bad situation and what if someone falls sleep at the wheel. It was an accident. I drove by and I saw how bad it was.

BlondeTiger 8 years, 5 months ago

I know this man. he was my elementary school art teacher and also a local artist in town. If you knew him as well as i did you would not be so quick to judge him and jump to conclusions about what COULD have (but didn't) happen.

but go ahead and show your ignorance. after all it is bliss, isn't it?

Dayna Lee 8 years, 5 months ago

I love that when the paper does not list details, you idiots like to argue what little they do write. I'm sure there was more to this. I hope they heal quickly, and that people that see this take a minute and think about the dangers of driving tired.

ksu 8 years, 5 months ago

I really enjoy how people have posted what they think about a soon to be family member of mine. These two people are so great to our community in so many ways. He has personally touched so many young lives in Lawrence as well as the wife. Maybe instead of posting your meaningless opinions you can think about the next time you are driving and other around you. This is the true lesson to be learned, the hard way for our family.

Terry Jacobsen 8 years, 5 months ago

There is no crime in falling asleep at the wheel, it's called monotany and anyone is subject to it. I am so glad that the Brummels lives were spared and no one else was hurt.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 5 months ago

monotony.monotony.monotony.monotony

have a monotony of monotonies.
oh, what people decide to type on this typic!

dshmalz 8 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Brummell was also my art teacher a schwegler. He is a great man and my best wishes for him and his wife as yours should be.

BlondeTiger 8 years, 5 months ago

WOW. All of a sudden everyone has 3x the amount of balls when they can hide behind a computer. And what is worse? You think you look all big and bad when you PERSONALLY berate others, like it will justify and make your point stronger.

Leprechaunking13 8 years, 5 months ago

"I take naps in the afternoon how weird huh" from couranna1, no not weird at all, unless you do it behind the wheel and roll over your SUV. This guy is really lucky no one else was hurt, I hope they both mend well but this should be a lesson to EVERYONE! If you feel sleepy maybe you should pull your car over or let the passenger drive. That is just a thought though, I'm sure this is a great man who has done many great things for our community and youth as a teacher but that's all the more reason for him to have the common sense to not drive when he is sleepy or falling asleep. What is IGNORANT is knowingly endangering other drivers lives because you THINK you can make it to the destination.

BrianR 8 years, 5 months ago

People fall asleep at the wheel it doesn't mean anything but that.

I hope they're ok.

hockmano 8 years, 5 months ago

This was a close call. My husband also fell asleep at the wheel a few years ago in the middle of the afternoon.

People are overworked. You are driving and before you know it you need to take a nap. I hope they are both okay and next time will stop if they need to rest.

I am sure the husband learned his lesson and will think twice the next time. Glad they are both okay.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 5 months ago

nice link pro! appropose indeed.

yes, did 'Sky get up on the wrong side of the rock this morning? geez!

sometimes people driving are suddenly overtaken by the autohypnotic repetitive movements and sounds. maybe it never was a problem before, be sure, accidents happen and there are always first times!

these days, with TV's Ipods, radios, cd-players, all to distract drivers, I worry more about cellphone/otherwise distracted drivers than the one who is suddenly overtaken with sleepy fatigue. there are drivers driving *while watching broadcast TV, or while watching movies from DVD's. yikes!

nice to know 'Sky is somehow superhuman and never has any weaknesses...nice knowing we have one perfect person on here!

Jersey_Girl 8 years, 5 months ago

Have none of you overly critical cranky people zoned out while driving, reached your destination and not been able to remember the drive? It happens to most people at some point or other, especially when you are traveling a frequent route and drive on autopilot. You really think you were at peak alertness? You think you couldn't have dozed off and not even realized you were zoning? Wow, it must be exhausting to be THAT alert ALL the time!

BrianR 8 years, 5 months ago

Thanks November Sky. Coming from you I consider that a compliment.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 5 months ago

watch out Jersey-girl...skyking may just demonstrate his/her amazing linguistic perspicacity on you too!.