Archive for Sunday, November 5, 2006

Boyda holds rally on Statehouse steps

Urges voters to reject Jim Ryun at the polls

November 5, 2006, 4:46 p.m. Updated November 5, 2006, 10:09 p.m.

— Some carried signs. Some carried flags, babies or even a toy poodle wearing campaign regalia.

But the 1,000 or so people who came this afternoon to the Statehouse steps in Topeka were united in carrying one message.

Democrat Nancy Boyda, who's running for the Kansas 2nd District congressional seat, speaks at rally on Statehouse steps.

None

"Nothing will change until we change Congress," Democrat Nancy Boyda said, encouraging the cheering gathering to say it with her.

Boyda, who pollsters claim has a good chance of unseating the Republican incumbent, U.S. Rep. Jim Ryun, in Tuesday's election, said before the rally her own polls show she is 9 percentage points ahead in the Kansas 2nd District congressional race.

And the public's dissatisfaction with the status quo is what brought President Bush in to campaign for Ryun at the 11th hour, she said.

Bush was to speak for Ryun later in the day at the Topeka Expocentre.

"Jim Ryun didn't bring George Bush to Kansas. You brought George Bush to Kansas," Boyda said, her voice booming out to the gathering, which included veterans, striking Goodyear employees, and teachers.

Several Lawrence residents were at the rally, including Ed Scheurich, Lawrence.

"My only New Year's resolution was to get rid of Ryun," Scheurich said.

Another Lawrence resident, Robin Gingerich, said the rally for Boyda went beyond partisan politics.

"I think Nancy Boyda's slogan, 'Had enough?' is exactly right," Gingerich said. "We need to change the balance of power."

Tom Mersmann, another Lawrence resident, agreed.

"We need to restore the balance in Washington so one ideology doesn't have a totally free hand," he said.

One of the speakers during the 90-minute gathering was Kent Hayes, a Lawrence author and children's advocate. He said Boyda impressed him with her honesty at a Douglas County Democratic Party meeting.

"She said she wasn't sure she was gonna win," Hayes said. However, Hayes said Boyda has worked hard to pull so close.

"Every 50 years or so there comes along a person that goes beyond being politic and goes beyond being a politician and they become a statesperson," Hayes said. "And I think Nancy Boyda has that capacity."

Comments

sgl8888 7 years, 10 months ago

I made it to the rally and felt really motivated by the turnout and was once again impressed by Mrs. Boyda. What a great time.

KEITHMILES05 7 years, 10 months ago

I was in attendance and there were closer to 1000 than 500 as AP reported. Very spirited crowd.

The funniest sign I saw was a life sized picture of Bush and across the top were the words "FREEDUMB".

LMAO

xenophonschild 7 years, 10 months ago

One lesson to be learned; stupid people should never be elected president.

Good for Nancy . . . and Kathleen . . . and Morrison, even thought he's truly a Republican at heart.

disabled_Marine_Vet 7 years, 10 months ago

I voted for Morrison while thinking we can at least see he is adult enough to understand shades of gray. Kline is the prototypical Republican, "you're either with me or against me."

I am a volunteer for Nancy, and as a disabled vet, I know that her husband, Steve - a fellow Marine, has her ear when it comes to veterans issues. I am glad Nancy decided to run again

youngitized 7 years, 10 months ago

I was at the rally too...it was amazing. There were a lot of people there! Nancy Boyda is a very good public speaker.

mville 7 years, 10 months ago

Looks like there's a plan to beat Boyda, and it doesn't have anything to do with the issues. Her Web site says the opposition is placing irritating robo-calls and trying to make it sound like they come from her. Very classy.

Redneckgal 7 years, 10 months ago

I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed and practically holding my breath until after this election is over. I hope she wins.

willie_wildcat 7 years, 10 months ago

I voted for Nancy two years ago and will do it again this year. My husband is an Iraq vet at 24 years old and I worry that there may not be anything left of that is the VA for him to use if he needs it in the future since Ryun just follows the status quo.

willie_wildcat 7 years, 10 months ago

merrill- Does not surprise me one bit.

onceinawhile 7 years, 10 months ago

The races will be super close this year. Everyone needs to make sure they get out and vote! Go to this website for your poll place: http://www.voteks.org/

Frank Smith 7 years, 10 months ago

Hard not to agree with disabled_marine_vet

I'm honorably discharged, spent two years in Viet Nam.

Iraq is dejà vu.

How do you say, "650,000 civilians dead" in "tongues," Rep. Ryun?

You can't run fast enough to run away from your record.

Hopefully, we'll get the 1972 Olympics view of Ryun on Wednesday: Lying on the infield, pounding the grass and crying, and blaming it all on conspiracies by black people.

Meanwhile The First Prevaricator is also inside at the rally, alleging to the crowd that he's "cut the projected budget deficit in half, three years ahead of time."

Here's the truth...

On July 7th, the Office of Management Budget projected a $296 billion federal deficit for fiscal year 2006. Bush held a press conference arguing that this is a vindication of his economic policies.

Actually, it would be the fourth largest deficit of all time. Here's the top five:

1. 2004 (George W. Bush) $413 billion
  2. 2003 (George W. Bush) $378 billion
  3. 2005 (George W. Bush) $318 billion
  4. 2006 (George W. Bush) $296 billion (projected)
  5. 1992 (George H. W. Bush) $290 billion

When President Bush came into office, he inherited a surplus of $284 Billion. At that time, the Bush administration predicted a $516 billion surplus for 2006.

The fact that Bush now considers a $296 billion deficit an occasion to celebrate shows how far we've fallen.

Oh, and the fiscal cost of the Iraq genocide? A Nobel prizewinner for Economics has just revised his earlier estimate of the cost as "too low." It will cost far MORE than $2 trillion. That's $8,000 apiece, for every man, woman and child in Kansas.

Hold on to your wallets. It's the Music Men at the door.

KsTwister 7 years, 10 months ago

The deficit is one thing----its the 40 thrillion dollar National Debt (doubled since Clinton) that I am worried about.

rhd99 7 years, 10 months ago

Well, Republicans aren't so business savvy after all, are they? For all the deficits we had in this Administration, Bush & Co. need to go to jail for BANKRUPTING our children's future illegally. Out with you, Bush & right wing extremists!