Archive for Friday, May 26, 2006

Man injured in motorcycle-deer crash

May 26, 2006

A Lee's Summit, Mo., man was injured after his motorcycle struck a deer this morning on U.S. Highway 24-40 about five miles south of Tonganoxie.

According to a Kansas Highway Patrol report, John Raymond Fiorani, 44, was transported by a LifeStar helicopter ambulance to the University of Kansas Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., after the accident, which occurred at 8:38 a.m.

Fiorani wore his helmet and was driving south on Highway 24-40 when the deer moved into the road from the east ditch.

Hospital spokesman Bob Hallinan said a condition update was unavailable this afternoon.

Comments

KSChick1 9 years, 2 months ago

Somebody ought to ban deer, they are so dangerous!

Dixie Jones 9 years, 2 months ago

someone should ban stupid ass comments like yours chick do you know if this person that hit the deer is ok ? do you have sympthay for the man or his loved ones ? do you even think before you post think about HIS family members and loved ones who happen to read this story... put yourself in their shoes...oh wait you cant do that cause your TOO INTO YOUR SELF TO THINK OF OTHERS...try it for once it may make you feel good about yourself for once in your life.... may god be with you every step of your way.....

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 2 months ago

I thought Peaches and Cream was supposed to be sweet. You could maybe calm down just a little. "You can't do that 'cause you are too into yourself to think of others". You reached that conclusion about her based solely on her nine word sentence? The "God be with you" part really didn't ring of much sincerity, in my eyes.

I think somone needs a nap.

Tanya Spacek 9 years, 2 months ago

I'm glad the guy was wearing a helmet. My brother has spent the last fifteen years scraping people off the road who thought they looked cool without a helmet. It's hard to look cool when you're smeared over fifty yards of blacktop. Also, my condolences to the deer's family. I gather it didn't make it.

paladin 9 years, 2 months ago

A horse's arse was not involved, as I understand it. It was a deer. Oh dear. A huge deer hit me once and nearly totaled my truck. All I saw was a brief brown flash. It came out of nowhere. They really are a menace. Some fella happening by rolled down his window and yelled at me and asked me if I wanted it and was I going to take it home. I really didn't have the means to do that, just then, so I told him uh, no. He asked if he could have it then, and I said be my guest. He threw it on the hood of his truck and took off. When the deputy got there, he wondered where the deer was, having done so much damage, it ought to be dead and lying about someplace. He kept looking at me funny and looked like he thought the whole deal was suspicious.

garrenfamily 9 years, 2 months ago

I drove past the scene about 5 mins after it happened - you should have seen the deer. And it was so little....I hope the driver is ok! Not a pretty scene.

snoozey 9 years, 2 months ago

Damn, bad luck. I recall riding from Topeka to Larryville on 70 a couple yrs ago around midnight & seeing 4 deer cross the road randomly along the way. They are one of many cyclist's nightmares; my heart goes out to his family and my hopes for his speedy recovery

paladin 9 years, 2 months ago

I like to use the word to, too, to..... And two, too. And tutu, too. Tootleloo.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 2 months ago

Macon, so the deerly departed was a mikerundle supporter, talking on a cell phone?
oh, deer.
seems a little far out there.

conserv26 9 years, 2 months ago

The deer population is out of control in this area; KS dept. of Wildlife and Parks needs to extend the deer hunting season to two months and charge less for deer permits. As a hunter and a motorcyclist these stories strike a chord with me. My father was hit by a deer on his Harley a few years back and was banged up pretty bad. He was one solid bruise from head to toe...nothing broken though luckily. My pops saw the deer, slowed down, then the deer crossed the road and then cut back and ran into him!

Not too many years ago deers were endangered in this area but due to ultra conservative hunting laws for deer, the deer population is dangerously high now...leading to frequent vehicle/deer collisions. In fact due to overpopulation the deer have insufficient amounts of food and now they are venturing into residential neighborhoods to munch on our gardens, yards, etc.

For those of you who are thinking about the poor deer... Don't worry, there would still be too many deer out there even if hunting season was opened up year round. Fellow bikers, be careful out there and don't ride early in the morning or at night; that's when deer are most active.

Susan Mangan 9 years, 2 months ago

I hope the driver will be ok. That is a nightmare for anyone riding a motorcycle (or married to a rider, like myself). With a father in law in law enforcement, I've heard too many stories of horrible fatality accidents involving cars and deer. They really are a public nuisance, in my opinion. The population is out of control. Hunting isn't just a human convenience...an overpopulation of deer results in higher disease and starvation rates among the deer population.

If you kill a deer in an accident, and want to keep it, the officer (I know sheriff's officers do...I don't know about city police) will write you a deer tag. You need a tag any time you're in possesion of a deer...in or out of season. If you take one to be processed without a tag, a reputable processor will notify the sheriff.

If anyone is interested, there is a deer list with the Douglas County sheriff's office (most counties have one). Since most people don't want to go home with an unexpected deer after an accident, they have a list of people who they will call and offer the deer to. I don't recommend taking them in the middle of summer...more disease, ticks, etc...but they make excellent chili and spaghetti sauce. Just call the sheriff's department and ask how to be added to the list. You will have to pick up the deer and "clean" it yourself, however.

Prayers to the biker and his family. I hope he recovers completely and quickly.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 2 months ago

Wow, and if only he had drunk green tea, we'd still hear him going today...hadn't registered what his cause of death was. thanks.
creative genius.