Archive for Thursday, May 25, 2006

Outdoor exhibit to feature sculpture of giant cones

8 original pieces will be on display for annual event

May 25, 2006

Downtown Lawrence, get ready for the giant cones.

The city's 19th Annual Outdoor Downtown Sculpture Exhibition will have eight original pieces of art, and one of them will be very hard to miss: a 5,000 pound, 18-foot-tall piece that suspends via cables two large aluminum cones that the public will be able to walk under and observe.

Crews began installing the piece on the southwest corner of Ninth and New Hampshire streets Wednesday and work will continue today.

"We already have a lot of people really curious," said Judi Geer Kellas, a member of the Lawrence Arts Commission who was on the site Wednesday. "I think it is very exciting."

The piece, titled "Indifferent Space," is the creation of artist Andrew Connelly, a professor of art at Sacramento State University. The sculpture was part of a show in New York City, and Connelly decided to enter it into the city's annual sculpture exhibit, even though it only pays a $750 honorarium.

"You guys are on the way," Connelly said of his trek to take the piece from New York to California. He also said he liked that Lawrence was a small university community that seemed to respect the arts.

Andrew Connelly, Sacramento Calif., cleans up his sculpture titled "Indifferent Space," one of several pieces of art of this year's downtown art exhibit. Connelly was setting up his exhibit Wednesday afternoon.

The sculpture will be on display until April 2007, unless either the city or someone else in the area is interested in purchasing it. Connelly said he's willing to sell the piece of art. He estimates its value at between $200,000 and $250,000.

Area residents soon can form their own opinions. Connelly is optimistic that area art aficionados will enjoy the piece, in part, because it is designed to be very interactive. Connelly said to fully appreciate the work, people need to walk beneath the structure and look upward at the cones.

That will give people the full yin and yang experience, Connelly said. One cone - the one with its point facing toward the sky - is designed to make people feel safe and secure like they are standing under a giant aluminum umbrella. The other cone - mainly because its sharp, heavy metal point is right above your head - is designed more to scare the bejesus out of you.

New sculpture

"It puts you in a situation where you can experience one emotion or the other," Connelly said.

And just to add one more mind bender, Connelly points out that the piece could be flipped upside down and look exactly the same.

The piece is by far the largest sculpture the city has had during the 19 years of the sculpture exhibit. Eight concrete piers had to be poured on the site - which is on city property adjacent to an entrance to the city's parking garage - to support the structure. City crews from Parks and Recreation and the Utilities Department worked to help Connelly prepare the site and unload the cones.

Connelly said the piece should be mostly in place by this evening.

Comments

blessed3x 8 years, 7 months ago

"a 5,000 pound, 18-foot-tall piece that suspends via cables two large aluminum cones that the public will be able to walk under and observe."

Journal Entry #453 May 24, 2006 7:51 am

Observation: The large pile of crap scrapmetal has yet to do anything interesting. Earlier a "T" bus drove by and I thought I glimpsed a look of lustfulness in it's eyes, but I may have been mistaken. I am quite certain that the cone will begin foraging for food as the prairie sun warms the plains. It has already taken a stroll down to the Kansas River for a long, refreshing drink. Other than it's concerns for locating food, drink and large pieces of yet more worthless metal (ref: "T" bus) to mate with, the cone seems to be a rather dull fellow. Oh well. It gives me time to fill out next years application for a federal grant to continue my studies in the field of crappy artwork observation and documentation. (Boy I'm glad I don't have a real job!)

-End Journal Entry #453-

GardenMomma 8 years, 7 months ago

I sure don't want to be around when the cable snaps in a high wind during the next tornado season and a 5,000 pound pair of metal cones comes crashing down.

craigers 8 years, 7 months ago

Was it just me, or did anybody have the thought of other cones pop in their mind? I don't want to be sick but I am being honest. Those are some giant cones!!!!

blessed3x 8 years, 7 months ago

consumer, I agree. The fence definitely symbolized the imprisonment of our minds by the current culture, a wall keeping truly original thoughts (the hippies) from spilling over into everyday life. The microbrew? Well, it goes without saying that it represents the struggle of the individual against an every growing, powerful corporate society. The construction workers represent conservatives, always vigilant to insure that any original thought stays in its place. The water lines themselves are the real kicker. Water is essential to life, as is art. Art is the water from which we all drink. The repair of it's means of conveyance (the pipes) is the attempt of a select few (the hippies once again) to supply art to the masses right under the noses of the construction workers.

WOW!! It all fits. NOW THAT'S ART, BABY!!!!!!!!!!!

Can consumer1 get $5,000 for that? Huh? If the crap that passes for art downtown can earn a few $, surely consumer1 and can get some dough on this one.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

I ain't walking under no cones. Call me uncultured, but I ain't doing it. The guy's an artist, but is he an engineer? Is he bonded?

bearded_gnome 8 years, 7 months ago

Posted by consumer1 ( anonymous) on May 25, 2006 at 12:09 p.m. ( Suggest removal)

You know what I thought was some really neat art ? It was when the city was replacing the water lines in front of the Free State Brewery. That chain link fence. Now that was art. Okay, all the hippies standing behind it holding their micro brews is what really made it look like a liberal internment camp. NOW THAT WAS SOME ART!!!

Posted by

worth REPEATING! LOL! a hippy concentration camp...now, let's see, that would be stalag 4/20?

bearded_gnome 8 years, 7 months ago

Gardenmamacita: that's what I thought too! he's from Sacratomato...have they been tested in even 45mph winds?
what does a hail storm do, ring them? then the vibrations loosen the concrete piles. then it goes up? oh, new adornment for the art center itself or the parking garage and nobody had to lift it? zowie, what forward thinkers we have in this city!

bearded_gnome 8 years, 7 months ago

finally, as the mind reels off into oblivion: think about all that metal, sticking up...a lightening rod? what happens to them thar cones when struck with lightening?

200K to 250K dollars for this??????? and the cones don't even have a bell clapper.

Dan Alexander 8 years, 7 months ago

What a bunch of snobs you all are, what does it hurt you anyways. Could you ever create anything besides the runny crap you call bowel movements? Real Citizens of a city of the arts you are. I'll take cones over your close minded asses any day.

I almost guarentee you at the time of their creation you all would have scoffed at the pyramids, the Eiffel Tower, the St. Louis Arch, and anything else anyone does that you can't wrap your feeble minds around.

Go back to bitching about roundabouts you sorry saps.

I wonder at times about you all that post here that seem to hate everything, what is it that is ok? Obviously boob jokes are about the highlight of your existence. Bravo!

Obviously it is times to "trim the herd",If you don't like our Liberal Hippy Loving Town in a Big Fat Red State then its time to jump ship, cause I just read Sebelius has signed a law that says I don't have to stand down to threats. I now have full legal power to retaliate on you poor excuses for intelligent beings.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 7 months ago

Wow Dan. Some good points. BUT sour presentation.

anonimiss 8 years, 7 months ago

I don't want to speak for anybody else, but I think that if it were GOOD art, people would support it. Something that I wouldn't be able to do. Something that takes talent, not just time and money. And if you have to tell me what it symbolizes, then it isn't working.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 7 months ago

Snobs would use twenty dollar words to put down the art.....I think you are looking for uncultured hick or or stupid rednecks.......Personally I prefer to be called a philistine( It makes me sound foreign). People have the absolute right to criticise art....especially if it is on city property and bought for with our tax dollars.....I will admit, I have seen some sculptures over the years that I absolutely loved.....But I have seen at least 3 times as many that were pathetic. For those of you about ready to comment something along the lines of "you just do not understand art" Or some such......Art in a public environment is for the majority to enjoy, so it seems to me they should try to find some that would appeal to a larger cross section of people the just fellow artist.......Artists tend to be more jaded about art and are attracted to the more esoteric and bizarre pieces(gross generalization of course).

Dan Alexander 8 years, 7 months ago

Okay the Arts Commission are representatives of the City Commission who make desicions on just about every aspect of our city, don't really see how they are a self appointed group?

Kelly Powell 8 years, 7 months ago

They could put up a website and let the community have a chance to decide which pieces we would like.......It would be cheaper than an "consultant", and it helps negate the above problem I was talking about.

Dan Alexander 8 years, 7 months ago

Hey Buddy you know what? If they had a web site where we could pick, majority rules, the new sculpture, the cones still would have been chosen. You know why? Cause they look like t!ts man, cool!!!

bearded_gnome 8 years, 7 months ago

your assumption, Dannie boy, that criticizing these pieces of "art" makes us uncultured, and all the other blather, is founded on a selfagrandising assessment!
you'd be surprised if you learned how much culcha I got man. some of my art in alegory, and humor, see above.
another reason we react to these pieces of "art" is a kind of "art fatigue" wherin we are really tired of having stupid stuff labeled as art, and we're labeled as stupid rednecked hicks...you know, because we don't get them high browed thingys.
finally, some of us, see above, used humor to express real safety concerns about such a structure.
now, Dan, go get a humor transfusion, you're on the critical list!

Kelly Powell 8 years, 7 months ago

I believe we are talking about sculpture, not paintings or prints.....but if lawrence wanted sidewalk size frazetta murals on the sidewalk then rock on. It's funny though, we are called snobs, then you start making comments about our bad taste in art. I believe most people who are commenting about the bad art we have been subjected to over the years.....I'll even give that art a break and say that it was just not art that should of been outside.....75% of those pieces would of looked a hell of a lot better in an inside place with backlighting...Anyway, I believe most people like the stone and bronze and carved wood...and would accept alluminum and synthetics.....What I've gotten from people though is the dislike of recycled art (welding two I-beams at a weird angle just looks like two I-beams) and stuff that is either too fractured and busy looking or the minimal style geometric patterns(i know nothing of art terminology, so forgive me if I am butchering this).... I think the size of the piece matters to(insert giggle here)Some of the art get's lost next to a newspaper machine or is on a huge pedastal and is the size of a football. I, for one, would like to see a bunch of pieces that nod towards ancient cultures....have a different theme on each block....Or some interactive sculpture....Stuff that moves or makes sounds when manipulated(the art museum has a cool one that shimmers and makes a soothing noise)....But then again, I should just stick to my neon beer signs and singing bass plaques.

craigers 8 years, 7 months ago

I see Dan, once again we have been graced with the presence of one who is more cultured, mature, and smarter than everybody else. The way you are wound so tight, I can see your heart giving out due to stress. Chill out oh mighty one.