Archive for Monday, May 22, 2006

LMH plans smoke-free campus

Hospital employees, visitors can’t light up on properties

May 22, 2006

Imagine the city's smoking ban supersized.

Come Sept. 1, employees and visitors at Lawrence Memorial Hospital won't have to imagine. The entire LMH campus will become a smoke-free environment, meaning that people won't just be prevented from smoking indoors - which already is prohibited by the city's smoking ban and state hospital law - but also will be banned from smoking outside on LMH property.

"I think this sends a direct message that the location where health care is delivered emphasizes wellness and a healthy environment," said Gene Meyer, president and CEO of the hospital, which has its main campus at 325 Maine. "We want to be the leaders in health care, and we want to show it in what we do at our locations."

But several LMH employees - all of whom declined to give their names for fear of retribution by their bosses - said the new policy was fraught with problems.

"There are a lot of employees who don't like it, but I guess they can do what they want with their staff," said a hospital employee at one of the hospital's outdoor smoking areas. "But what about the visitor who brings someone into the emergency room and needs to step outside to smoke to calm their nerves?

Lawrence Memorial Hospital food and nutrition department employee Juanita Waskey, Lawrence, has a cigarette outside the hospital in a designated smoking hut. In September, the hospital will prohibit smoking anywhere on the 325 Maine campus and its other properties.

"We're going to have to tell them they can't smoke outside? They don't need that. They have enough stress already."

The policy will be strict and relatively loophole-free. In addition to banning smoking outdoors on LMH property, the policy bans staff and visitors from smoking inside vehicles on LMH property, including LMH South at Clinton Parkway and Kasold Drive. The policy reminds people that it is inappropriate to smoke without permission on properties that are adjacent to the hospital.

Staff members must meet another level of compliance. The policy states that hospital leaders can send an employee home to change clothes if the odor of tobacco smoke is present. The policy also states that repeated incidents will subject the employee to "corrective action."

Deborah Thompson, the hospital's vice president of human resources, said she was emphasizing to employees that the policy fit with the mission of the hospital to promote wellness. She said she had heard from several employees who are smokers who appreciate the policy.

"Several of them are saying that this is just the kick in the pants they needed to quit smoking," Thompson said.

She said the hospital would offer free smoking-cessation programs to employees who are interested in quitting.

Thompson said she thought hospitals all across the state soon would be implementing policies similar to the one at LMH. Legislation was introduced during the last state legislative session that would have mandated all Kansas hospitals to have smoke-free campuses, but the bill did not pass.

Cindy Samuelson, a spokeswoman with the Kansas Hospital Assn., said at least two hospitals in the area already have smoke-free environments: Manhattan's Mercy Regional Health Center went entirely smoke-free in January; Topeka's St. Francis followed suit in March.

Judy Wagner, vice president of mission services for Mercy in Manhattan, said the policy had gone over well.

"We recognized that it was a culture change and that it would take some time to adjust to," Wagner said. "We don't go up to a person and demand that they put out their cigarette. It is all about the approach. We tell them about our policy and ask them to put it out and then leave. We don't stand around and watch over them."

Comments

paladin 9 years, 1 month ago

No responses. Interesting. The totalitalian mind set is increasingly becoming a reality. One cannot do what one is told he cannot do and can only do what he is told he can do. Its for his own good. For the general good of society. The police state mentality is real and it is growing. But, if you don't do anything wrong, you have nothing to be afraid of. Except losing your fundamental liberties and freedoms, which are the lifeblood of our way of life. Maybe, not anymore. Oh well, it for our own good.

GardenMomma 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm all for people not smoking, but this is going a little too far.

It's one thing to require your employees to not smoke, but to require visitors to not smoke outside or even in their own cars?!?!

As an ex-smoker, a smoking ban (in bars and restuarants out in L.A. back in 1997) WAS the kick in the pants to quit and I've been glad ever since. I now cannot stand the smell of smoke and it gives me a terrible headache.

Having a nurse or physician smelling of smoke while treating me or my children is very uncomfortable and adds to the stress of the situation.

But to require visitors to refrain from smoking is too much. They already have to go outside. LMH has a special place (the Butt Hut) for smokers to go. I say keep that for visitors only. Require employees to not smoke while on duty (they have the choice to not work at LMH), but give visitors the option (they may not have a choice when it comes to emergency healthcare) to smoke outside or in their cars.

This still promotes wellness by LMH (leading by example anyone?) but still allows for freedom of choice.

cowboy 9 years, 1 month ago

this sounds about 3/4 illegal. do the city/LMH employees have to sign some paperwork to agree to these conditions that could affect their employment ?

Sounds like a can of worms that was probably unnecessary , while I have been at LMH the smokers at the rear of the building have always been polite and unobtrusive and it always seems to have a nice breeze to blow away the smoke.

Seems someone in HR does not have enough real work to do

mom_of_three 9 years, 1 month ago

So are they going to have someone in the parking lot, policing visitors who are smoking in their cars before visiting? And that is a good point about a visitor to the hospital smoking outside after they bring someone in. That was my husband last year, when my daughter had emergency surgery.
The new policy seems a little extreme.

hipper_than_hip 9 years, 1 month ago

LMH is not public property, so they can make whatever rules they want. They may decide to enforce or not to enforce this new rule, or perhaps only enforce it at certain times or in certain places.

Someone tell me the difference between LMH banning smoking on their property, and FMC banning smoking AND the possession of matches/lighters on their property.

Cantbeleiveit 9 years, 1 month ago

This cracks me up! More unenforacable rules! Just let them come tell me I can't smoke in my personal vechicle while I'm parked in thier parking lot! Stupid! For thier sake its a good thing theres an emergency room there!

greyhawk 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm a nonsmoker and don't like being around smokers but this policy is just plain stupid.

"LMH leaders said the new policy was an example of the hospital trying to practice what it preaches."
...

So are you going to limit and dictate what employees eat in order not to contribute to obesity? Are you going to ban unhappy attitudes which may reflect depression? Require counseling? Are you going to mandate daily exercise so that employees lead a healthy lifestyle? Are you going to require spiritual practices which have been correlated with longevity and better health? Are you going to require everyone coming onto the property to be searched for contraband of any and all sorts? Are you going to run a background check on every person coming onto the property in order to assure that they are law abiding--doesn't that contribute to wellness and a healthy environment?
How long before you prohibit all employees from smoking, period? And what happens if a visitor standing in the parking lot refuses to put out their cigarette? Do you call hospital security? LPD? Have you taken a very minor situation and blown it into trespassing if they refuse to leave? And how does driving people away from the hospital contribute to wellness?
What about the tobacco smoke odor on clothing....what if an employee is passionate about barbecue....how does the administrator objectively differentiate between tobacco smoke and wood smoke? What if the administrator makes a mistake? Is the hospital open to legal action?
It would be a better world if people would cease their self-destructive behaviors but this policy doesn't help.

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

I suppose people could walk out into the middle of the street, say on Maine or Arkansas, to smoke, or hang out in neighbors' yards. Of course, LMH wants to convert a couple of blocks of Arkansas into hospital property for a parking lot, so that will take away yet another option for smokers.

I'm not a smoker, but I have compassion for the LMH patients and family members who are addicted to nicotine, and who now will have to suffer the severe symptoms of withdrawal in addition to the distress of illness.

At the least, LMH should provide them with nicotine patches or hynosis or something, to ease their discomfort. Otherwise, what they are doing is just cruel.

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

Actually, that makes sense, in a way. What does the staff do for a person who is seriously ill, say, and is also severely addicted? Does the person go through withdrawal while in a life or death situation? Or is there something that can be given to the person to help alleviate the effects of withdrawal?

mom_of_three 9 years, 1 month ago

Not all smokers get cancer, but smoking greatly increases the risk. My husband is a smoker, and he has tried many times to quit, and will continue to try. But in no way is he stupid or unable to make intelligent decisions.
I am a non-smoker, and I get offended by righteous non-smokers. Everyone has a bad and/or dangerous habit, some not as public as others.

mom_of_three 9 years, 1 month ago

should be by SELF righteous non-smokers. You get the idea.
I need more caffiene.

chzypoof1 9 years, 1 month ago

The smokers are persecuted because they are a drain on our society's mounting health care issues. About 440,000 people end up dying of smoking related diseases each year. When they are getting treatment, you and I are paying the cost for their bad health.

It is also not a violation of people's rights to tell them not to smoke on your private property. Smokers don't think about the rights of the others in their area. The best part is when I see smokers blowing smoke out of the window in their car, or away from them in a restaurant.....can't stand the smoke? Well neither can others.

Smoking is a habit. It's not a requirement to survive. Get over it. Save some $$$, and years of your life.

BTW, my grandmother is currently dying of lung cancer. 3 packs a day for 40 years....how many more have to die?

Confrontation 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm all for the smokers heading out into the street for a cig. Since most can't even walk up a stairs without almost passing out, I'm sure they'll be passing out in the streets after that short walk. Then, they'll be run over and we'll all save some money on what would have been their future healthcare bills. See? This plan works for everyone.

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

Progressive Puritanism = totalitarianism.

Read today's George Will opinion piece.

mom_of_three 9 years, 1 month ago

My grandmother smoked for 50+ years. She quit, several years ago, while in the hospital for colon cancer, which my great grandmother, a non-smoker, also had. Now, my husband can run, walk up the stairs just fine. He would be healthier if he quit, but he is working on that.
Maybe LMH would be better off talking to the LHS students who smoke across the street in the park, and the school should send them home if the smoke on their clothes is too strong.
Once again, everybody has a bad habit that could possibly kill them. Smoking is much more in the mainstream.

Chrissy Neibarger 9 years, 1 month ago

My husband works at LMH, and IS a smoker. They are offering free nicotine patches/gum to those who are serious about stopping smoking, which is the least that they can do. He has talked about just "walking across the street" to have a smoke, but that's rude to use someone else's front yard to sustain your own habit. We feel the rule against smoke oder on the clothing is refering to those who use the smoker's hut and smell like smoke for hours after finishing, versus one who at least smokes in the open. The main concern about the smoker's at LMH is moreso the visitors that have a relative in surgary that can't go out to calm down versus themselves having to wait till lunch to have a cig. thank you and have a nice day.

visage 9 years, 1 month ago

I think it's important to ask, when do the rights of one group infringe upon the rights of the other? In the debate of smoking vs. nonsmoking, there are no winners.

For example, I am also allergic to cigarette smoke, and dealing with a situation in which my apartment bathroom is filled with smoke from the people next door. Should they be asked to quit smoking in their place, or should I have to move out?

GardenMomma 9 years, 1 month ago

Whether one uses the smoker's hut or smokes out in the open, the smell (stench to some) lingers regardless.

It can be especially noticable to non-smokers, even after handwashing and teethbrushing.

Confrontation 9 years, 1 month ago

It would be such a shame if smokers had to find a new way to "calm down" at the hospital.

Lonestar1 9 years, 1 month ago

Anyone working in the medical field needs to quit smoking! I did, after over 30 year of puffing away. It is not an issue of personal rights, it is a health issue, and for those of us in the medical profession, it is a case of leading by example. It is like going out for some fast fat rich food to clog your blood vessels after you tell someone to loose weight.
The help needed to quit is out there, you just need the will to use it.

bytheway 9 years, 1 month ago

I use to work at LMH but now live in Wichita. Wesley Medical Center has a smoking ban now that is enforced by around the clock security officers. I work for the Via Christi Hospital organization. I believe that I heard rumor of them getting ready to place a ban organization wide. I think it is a good thing. I use to work in the ER registration at LMH and it was horrible how much smoke would come floating in the building when the ambulance bay doors were open along with the patient entrance doors. I have allergies to smoke and nature in general so it really affected me to the point where I couldn't even talk or answer the phone. I miss Lawrence because of the smoking ban. Everytime I go out to eat in Wichita, I have to deal with the smoking. I wish they would invoke that ban down here city wide. It is a lot healthier.

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

It is one thing to restrict smoking in buildings so as not to expose others to second hand smoke; it is wrong to force people to change their behavior because you don't want them to use more than their share of health services.

This is just a preview of what life under a universal health care plan will look like. Your health will not be a private issue; your habits will be everyone's business because they could be a threat to the financial stability of the health care system.

cowboy 9 years, 1 month ago

Such hippocracy displayed here . 5% of people in the US and world actually live a healthy lifestyle , eat healthy , exercise daily , sleep 8 hours per night and dont drink or use drugs or stimulants.

Maybe the hospital hippocrites should quit serving bacon , sausage , eggs , hamburgers , and all of the other fattening crap they serve in their cafeteria , also ban coffee , soft drinks , and ban the overtime shifts their employees work on a regular basis.

Welcome to PCU

bugmenot 9 years, 1 month ago

I think they should require all of their obese workers to lose weight or fire them. Can't wait for all the lawsuits to flow in after that and the outrage.

paladin 9 years, 1 month ago

The forced imposition of the ideologically motivated will and personal values and beliefs of one group, or even the majority, on others is a much greater danger and threat to the American way of life than occasional exposure to second hand smoke is to the general public health. It is contrary to the fundamental principles upon which this country was founded. Smokers are stinky, we don't like them, so maybe if they come out of their homes and others can smell them and be offended, they should not be permitted to smoke in their homes. Perhaps, they should be required to wear a patch bearing the likeness of a tobacco leaf clearly visible on their outer clothing, so that they can be readily identified in public, so that they can be watched closely so that their behavior is proper and so that the source of any smoke wafting into a given area can be easily determined. If there are recalcitrant individuals who are determined to rebel against the public will, maybe they can be rounded up and shipped off Guantanamo. If there get to be too many of them there, then, who knows? All for the public good and well being, of course. The Nazis would be proud. Our forefathers certainly would not be.

girly 9 years, 1 month ago

What about patient family members that need to go out and have a cigarette? Sometimes hospitals can be very stressful places!! Not everyone may like the smoking, but there should be somewhere on grounds that people can go if they need to.

Kelly Powell 9 years, 1 month ago

Yes we evil smokers have finally been exposed....Our entire existence is based on trying to offend and sicken those pillars of virtue that are non smokers..... Most smokers will gladly comply with somebody asking them to snub their smoke....If they are addressed with a modicrum of civility....If I asked somebody to move downwind of me because they reeked of cologne or patchulli oil in the manner that some non-smokers ask (exscuse me, TELL is a more accurate word) us, there would most likely be a physical confrontation. If somebody is smoking outside, there is no reason to ask them to quit.......If you have a valid health concern, move away......If it is because you do not like the smell....tough......It is outside, the health impact is minimal and the fumes from the cars in the street should be a bigger concern to you. Summing up......As long as cigarettes are legal and smokers are trying to minamize their exposure to non smokers, LEAVE US THE HELL ALONE!

justathought 9 years, 1 month ago

I love this actually!! Freestate is one of my favorite places to eat but I hate that I have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get in now, and if I want to sit outside anywhere to eat, FORGET IT...Sucks. I know us non-smokers are never happy!

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

If LMH weren't a taxpayer supported, government protected healthcare monopoly in Lawrence, I would not argue with their right to impose strict new rules on their patrons and employees. But, as I see it, "their property" is public property, and the LMH board have chosent to single out 25% of the taxpayer population to be the target of their discriminatory action.

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

Add "punishing" to the list of adjectives describing this new rule.

paladin 9 years, 1 month ago

BE ADVISED! Anyone found illegally smoking, whether in public or in their personal vehicle or in their private home will be removed from said location, placed on a waiting bus, and transported to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, there to remain indefinitely, perhaps never to be heard from again. This method of dealing with social misfits also applies to anyone displaying anger or any otherwise unacceptable emotional expression or social activity. -By order of the Smoke Nazis

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

Why doesn't LMH limit its food offerings, to patients, in the cafeteria, and in vending machines, to the Perfect 100 Zone foods? That would positively affect (and punish) everyone, not just the minority who are smokers and their families?

Harry_Manback 9 years, 1 month ago

I work at a hospital that will soon be banning smoking also. Employees that smell like smoke will need to go home and change clothes, and they aren't allowed to smoke in their cars. As a former smoker myself, I am sensitive to the fact that it's really hard to quit, but in the case of a hospital it makes perfect sense to ban it. Smoking is the leading preventable cause of death, and what kind of message does it send to have a hospital turning a blind eye to it?

It still blows my mind when I see patients standing outside in their hosptial gowns hooked up to IVs smoking cigarettes. I agree that hospitals need to have better food, but where I work they do charge extra for pop and candy. And to the people who say it can't be enforced, I'm betting it will be. Hospitals have a whole security dept. that will drive around the parking lot regularly just to patrol, and I'm pretty sure they will ticket people or at least warn them to stop.

mefirst 9 years, 1 month ago

My goodness, what a bunch of whining! Hey Smokers, time to realize that the rest of us are tired...SICK and TIRED of having to pass through your cigarette smoke to enter a building. Why do you think your right to smoke ursurps my right to breath clean air?

Someone mentioned the "self-righteous" non-smoker. Geez, how much more self righteous can you get than forcing people who do not share your death wish to inhale your toxic fumes? Smoke, smoke, smoke away, but the trend is that you'll have fewer and fewer places in which to do it, and we'll all be better off for it.

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

harrymanback, I would argue that birth is the leading cause of death.

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

"And to the people who say it can't be enforced, I'm betting it will be. Hospitals have a whole security dept. that will drive around the parking lot regularly just to patrol, and I'm pretty sure they will ticket people or at least warn them to stop."

Since when do hospital security employees have the authority to issue tickets to citizens who are engagin in a legal activity?

paladin 9 years, 1 month ago

Smokers are wicked and evil and demon possessed and have no place in a decent, healthy society. If there was any justice, they would be put in stocks on public display to be not only a punishment, but a deterrent to our innocent youth. And if that did not correct their behavior, they should be publicly stoned until they no longer spew forth another foul breath. Them Muslims ain't got nothin on us.

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 1 month ago

Well I guess if I lived in Lawrence I would be sending me or my family elsewhere for medical care. If they feel that way they don't need my money. I'd like to see them tell me I can't smoke in my own car. I smoke and as far as I'm concerned if they or anybody else don't like it they can go right straight to hll. Its still legal and its (almost) still a free country. Get over it and admit it-you are a wussy and you don't like the smell. Thus you think you have to impose your will on everyone around you. Period. The chances of my smoke killing your dumb ss are about as remote as you getting struck by lightening.

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

tell_it_like_it_is, you are right. If you live in lawrence, and you or a family member who might want to support you is a smoker, you are not welcome at Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Ideally, a place of healing would not judge or condemn, but rather would provide a place that accepts all, regardless of their ailments, or the causes of them, without recrimination.

The above does not apply to LMH.

mefirst 9 years, 1 month ago

Tell It,

You're so macho...you can tolerate the smoke and all its toxins. Something to be proud of. Smokers love their cigs...more than life itself.

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

mefirst wrote:"Smokers love their cigs...more than life itself."

And so do the eaters of white bread, donuts, pizza, fritos, cheetos, cookies, ice cream, biscottie, and anything else that is made up of empty carbs....LMH should make anyone who wants to consume empty carbs and unhealthy fats go somewhere other than hospital/taxpayer owned property to indulge in their sinful habits.

Excuse me, liberals don't believe in sin. I will re-phrase.

People who hope to receive health care from Lawrence Memorial Hospital will not be allowed to engage in any activity that detracts from the public good. So it is said, so it shall be.

Pro_Lawrence 9 years, 1 month ago

What a fantastic idea. The City of Lawrence owns LMH so they have the power to bring this idea to the whole city that most will welcome. This is the golden opportunity for a total ban. We need to make this happen people!

Kelly Powell 9 years, 1 month ago

I now will man slap the first venomous non smoker I see light up their glass pipe full of kindbud....I try to be a courteous smoker....Hell, I try to be a polite individual......all of this venom spewing from people is them jumping on the bandwagon because it's one of the acceptable two minute hates.....smokers, meat eaters, overweight people and rednecks....All are fair game .....Well I do believe this old boy is going to be as reactionary and judgemental as everyone else in this town.....You complain because you have to walk through smoke to get into a bar so you can indulge in a addictive volitile liquid and at least 30% smoke an illegal drug quite openly.....And what about the places that have their smoking areas in the back? You bitch about the mere knowledge that somebody is smoking....we tried to have it so nightclubs had memberships so only people that smoke would patronize it.....And you trumped us saying it would be unfair to the help....even though most bartenders smoke. If smoking offends you so much, try growing some backbone and slap the cigarette out of somebodies mouth when you have to pass by them so you can have your cosmo or redbull and vodka....show us how serious you are tough guys.....or freakin allow us to have smoke friendly places where our pariahed asses will not offend your delicate constitutions. I know smoking is bad for me.....but they also helped me through when I was kicking drugs and probably would of offed myself or become just another prescription drug legal junkie floating through life with my hazy surface emotions flitting back and forth from one media induced idea to another.

Linda Endicott 9 years, 1 month ago

Walking and other forms of exercise are healthy for people, too. But look at all the rantings we got to hear on these boards when it was suggested that people give up their beloved gas-guzzling vehicles and ride bikes to work, or walk.

A lot of hospital patients are allergic or extremely sensitive to colognes and perfumes. Is LMH going to ban those on their property, too, and require any employee who smells to high heaven to change clothes? Will they have to change if they walk in reeking of that wonderful new car scent, which has been proven to be extremely toxic? If they had liver and onions for lunch, will they have to change because they smell bad?

lori 9 years, 1 month ago

Actually, crazy, they already have that employee policy, precisely because many pts are allergic or extremely sensitive to smells.

I work at LMH; I'm totally supportive of this. Certain smokers take so many breaks, it is amazing; and the rest of us are stuck covering their patients. All smokers come back with their breath smelling awful, and their clothes and hands don't smell much better. What a lovely thing, to be caring for someone dying of lung cancer, smelling like a cancer stick. If all the smokers had stuck with exclusively using the butt hut, I wonder if this smoke-free campus thing would have even come about. The fact is, every day that you walk up there, there is someone smoking at about every entrance, sometimes leaning up against the sign that informs them that smoking is only allowed in the smokers hut. Maybe if they wouldn't have insisted on continuing to smoke right outside all the doors, they would still be able to smoke in the butt hut.

LMH also offers the use of it's physical therapy exercise facilities for a nominal charge, discounts on health club memberships, stress, nutrition, and exercise counselling, and health classes for it's employees. For those of you who wonder what they do for the the employees who are overweight or otherwise unhealthy.

This is a trend in hospitals all over the country. In two years there won't be a hopsital within 200 miles where you can take your relatives, tell it, and still smoke.

Linda Endicott 9 years, 1 month ago

Maybe they make suggestions for those employees who are overweight or otherwise unhealthy. But they aren't forcing them to totally give up their poor eating habits, or coffee habits, or whatever, while at work. There's a difference.

Please. None of us live totally healthy, perfect lives, and none of us ever will. If anyone claims that they are, they lie.

People act as if cigarette smoke is the only airborne toxin they ever come in contact with, or the only one that causes health problems. It's not, by a long shot.

Next time you hop in your car to go anywhere, think of all the toxins you're exposing yourself to, and the possible health hazards from it. Next time you douse yourself with that perfume or cologne, think of all the chemicals you're smearing on your skin that can cause health problems.

Next time you belly up to the table to eat that hickory smoked barbecue, think of all the toxins from the grill that are floating around, that you're breathing in, and that can cause health problems.

Next time you go over the speed limit on the highway, think about the health risks that you are taking, and the possible threat that you are to other drivers. Next time you're not paying total attention behind the wheel, think of the risk you are to others.

Next time you put that cell phone up to your ear, think about what you're possibly doing to your body. Next time you pop that birth control pill so that you'll stop having periods (which CNN reports that the majority of female doctors and nurses are doing now, because it's more convenient), think of the possible health problems that might result.

The point being that everyone does things that puts themselves at risk for health problems, and puts others at risk as well. Smoking just happens to be the "in" habit to trash at the moment. Someday the supposedly perfect people may move on to something else.