Archive for Sunday, May 21, 2006

Metal detectors used after shots at club

May 21, 2006

After the gunshot incident a week ago, management at the nightclub Last Call, 729 N.H., started requiring customers to pass through metal detectors before being admitted Saturday night.

"Let me put it this way: It will be easier to smuggle something into the White House than to get it into here tonight," the club's owner, Dennis Steffes, said as he checked out a large walk-through metal detector.

Steffes confirmed the club would implement extra security measures in addition to the walk-through detector, including quadruple the amount of surveillance equipment inside.

Early May 14, about 200 people fled into the street after someone fired several shots inside the club. No one was injured, but police found seven shell casings from a .22-caliber gun inside.

Steffes said his staff was working with police to identify the shooter, and he called it a "matter of time before this thing is figured out" because the incident was captured on a security camera.

Before the club's new policy, long lines outside the nightclub were common on Saturday evenings as customers waited to pass several bouncers and security guards visible from the outside.

Comments

Michael Birch 9 years, 1 month ago

Regardless of the added security, the Last Call still

needs to be given its last call. The bottom line is that

this place brings the bad elements from Topeka and

Kansas City to Lawrence and it needs to be shut down

permenently. Maybe the police could get a judge to

declare the Last Call a "public nuisance" and padlock

the door. Once this is done, the place is considered to

be officially out of business and if the owner removes

the padlock he/she can and will be arrested by the

police!

DHD

pundit 9 years, 1 month ago

DHD is correct. The police and city staff need to get with it. Revoke their liquor license based on public nuisance.

bmwjhawk 9 years, 1 month ago

Hehheh. Steffes and his crazy hyperbole.

Will someone PLEASE take the White House/Last Call gun-smuggling challenge?

cowboy 9 years, 1 month ago

Its long past time to close this slimy biz down. Is this the vision for downtown ?

andilynn 9 years, 1 month ago

Just to let everyone know, Dennis is an awesome owner. He does all he can to make his clubs the best for people. Just because dumb people screw around in his clubs, does not mean he should have to close them down. I am sorry, it that was the case, then every bar, in every city should be closed. Every bar I have been in has had some sort of fight. Most of the time it is a fist fight, but about 40% of the time, there is a weapon of some sort invovled. If you don't like the way that Dennis is running things, then don't go, and don't read stories about his clubs. If you have a logical suggestion as to how to improve his clubs, 9 times out of 10 he will listen and take them into concideration. He does what he can. Dennis you rock. I love Coyotes.

cowboy 9 years, 1 month ago

I have a suggestion , move your clubs to Topeka , closer to your clientele.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

maybe should read: "mental detectors? to screen patrons???

awhitebread11 9 years, 1 month ago

better yet, rather than shut down the clubs that bring in these "negative" elements from Topeka and K.C., let's take a page from the ancient Chinese and build the "Great Wall of Lawrence!" I hear this will also keep pesky Mongolians at bay too!

egypt 9 years, 1 month ago

I actully was at the bottleneck this weekend for a show, as I was walking by I was asked to walk threw the metal detectors at last call because I had metal on my clothes needless to say I did not set off there metal detectors. I also was told later while goign to my car it was not safe to walk alone past that club and not to park my car in there parking lot but across the street, because the club was open till 3:00am I allways thought of lawrence as being fun and safe, but now walking down that street (and being from Topeka) I was told by many people it was unsafe to walk past that club or park my car there. How does a club like that get to stay open untill 3:00am and why would they keep the club open knowing there metal detecors actully where not functioning?

AmyR 9 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone else see a problem? When the owner uses a metal detector and pats you down before you enter, it is obvious he does not trust his own customers. I have an idea. Don't attract customers you suspect will carry guns. I hear this guy ownes coyotes also. Are metal detectors being used there also?

Calliope877 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm just glad I don't go out to the clubs anymore. Downtown Lawrence has gone to hell as far as I'm concerned.:( I mean, it's NEVER safe for a young female to walk alone at night, but now I wouldn't feel safe in the clubs either. It makes me sad.