Archive for Friday, May 19, 2006

Library support

May 19, 2006

To the editor:

I am writing in support of the new library. I have been watching the development of this proposal since the first community forum was convened around two years ago. A library is a true reflection of a community - a wonderful forum where just about any idea or interest can freely be explored.

I grew up in another community with a wonderful library and cherish my memories of going to that library with my family. We are a family of diverse interests, political and religious views. The one thing we can talk about enthusiastically is our shared love of reading. I can honestly attribute this to our early and frequent excursions to the library. Some of my fondest memories growing up are those moments when we would reconvene after an hour's worth of exploring the library to share a new book, magazine or other resource we had just discovered.

Please, Lawrence, get behind this idea. Even if you have reservations, I strongly suggest that you keep an open mind long enough to attend any future community forums to learn about this further. A new library is a wonderful opportunity to invest in our community.

Wendy Shoemaker,

Lawrence

Comments

Kookamooka 7 years, 11 months ago

Two things.

1. Pass BOND issues NOW, while the interest rates are lower so that we, as a city, don't have to pay them back at the higher interest rates that are inevitable.

2. President Bush is going to cut Federal taxes to the rich again which means that when I get my measly little tax credit back, I could use it to pay for my city tax increase.

monkeyhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

bozo- that's what happens when people lose confidence in their "leaders". Most everything is met with skepticism, as the underlying agenda is to be feared.

Of course, you are the mouthpiece of this city body and I'm sure you lick their feet at every opportunity.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 11 months ago

Well, firstable, there are, as yet, no official proposals. When there are official proposals, they will be presented in a referendum election, likely in April 2007.

But I'm sure that no matter what this commission proposes, if they say black, luny will say white. If they say gray, luny will say orange.

monkeyhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

lunacydetector: I kind of like your knee-jerking. You always make a lot of sense.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 11 months ago

"opened my mind"

Is that why you're knee-jerking like always?

lunacydetector 7 years, 11 months ago

a 30-75 million dollar proposal to support the 1,000 daily visitors (including the homeless) opened my mind regarding a new library. it isn't cost effective, not enough people will go there, it will be located in a congested part of town and will take most people 20 minutes to get there (inconvenient), it costs as much as a large skyscraper twice its size.....hmmm, i see your point. my open mind says, 'boondoggle, waste, crazy, and quite frankly- scary this has become a serious consideration.'

my open mind also says put this whole idea to a public vote, since it will be us picking up the tab.