Archive for Friday, May 19, 2006

Car flips in East Lawrence accident

May 19, 2006

Police work at an accident site Friday afternoon in east Lawrence where a car flipped onto its top after being struck by a delivery van at 13th and Connecticut streets. The car's passengers received only minor injuries, according to a Lawrence police spokeswoman.

No one was seriously injured after a rollover accident this afternoon at the intersection of 13th and Connecticut streets.

A white Chevrolet Cavalier had flipped over in the intersection after the car's driver ran a stop sign, said Kim Murphree, a Lawrence police spokeswoman.

A 1993 UMC van of the Heartland Fire & Safety Equipment Co., driven by a 31-year-old Baldwin woman, was headed south at 2:18 p.m. on Connecticut Street and struck the driver's side door of the eastbound car on 13th Street after the car ran the stop sign, Murphree said.

The delivery van had sustained damage to its hood and front.

Medics from Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical treated the driver and passenger of the car, both 18-year-old Missouri males, at the scene, Murphree said. The van's driver was not injured.

"The fact that all occupants of both vehicles were wearing seat belts contributed significantly to the fact that there were only minor injuries in this accident. It could have been much worse," Murphree said.

She was unaware if officers issued any tickets at the scene.

Comments

bearded_gnome 7 years, 11 months ago

zowie, I think williethe walrus is off his lithium or something!
sorry for your accident, darned glad you had your seatbelts on. and, re the cell phone, roundabout, or [future] balloon comments, these are rooted in cynicism, irony, and sarcasm which commonly inhabit this board.
here in east lawrence, we are generally friendly welcoming folks and are sorry for your accident.
guess williethewalrat is just liike bugs on the windshield?

Jason Westmoreland 7 years, 11 months ago

Wow, I don't know how many grammer errors were in that post...at least we can get properly educated in Missouri. And I distinctly remember being upside down in my car listening to 96.5 The Buzz which is certainly not rap. And Monte Carlo's are extremely ugly, and my dead great grandma didn't leave me one of those in her will, just a Cavalier...and in Missouri we don't complain about free gifts. That car was paid for and only had 22,000 miles and was only under liability...instead of making people feel like crap for there misfortunes, why don't you spend more time reading the dictionary and learn how to spell music.

Shane Garrett 7 years, 11 months ago

A cavalier. An attitude. or cava lier. You all Missery'ens just listen to the rap muzack and can't drive a lick. Upgrade your lives and drive a Monte Carlo. Then You'd be slick and keep'en it on the down lo. Paying attention to the road and not your broke window. S.M.F'ers from MO.

Curtis Lange 7 years, 11 months ago

So much for having to roll your window up now. :)

All kidding aside, thankfully you and your passenger are OK.

Jason Westmoreland 7 years, 11 months ago

Since there seems to be so much speculation in to what happened here, I will tell you considering I was the driver of the silver, not white as misprinted, Cavalier that ran the stop sign. First of all, to the person who says that we almost caused a wreck with them at 11 in the morning...that's not possible unless I can drive in my sleep because I was in bed at that time, I woke up at 2...right before the accident. We were headed to pick up my friends car, the passenger...and I missed my turn and was thinking about that and my driver's side window wouldn't roll up and I simply went right through the stop sign. A stupid accident, we all make them. I was going the speed limit, and I'm pretty sure the woman in the van was as well. We flipped over and landed on our top and had to crawl out the passenger's side window. We only had minor cuts and scrapes. We were very lucky; the seatbelts did save our lives. And yes I am from Missery, but I probably drive better then most people from JoCo and God knows they are all over Lawrence. We were not on our way to Topeka, if we were I think we would have been headed West, not east, as stated in the article. And no I was not on my cell phone...I was trying to roll up my window. I hope that answers everyone's questions. Next time don't make assumptions; you know what they say about that.

redmorgan 7 years, 11 months ago

Probably chatting away on a cell phone and ran the stop sign...

imagold 7 years, 11 months ago

Wouldn't have happened had there been a roundabout.

BigDaveNLawKs 7 years, 11 months ago

I'll bet the accident was caused by a Waving School Crossing Guard.

frankzappa 7 years, 11 months ago

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 11 months ago

Cars are made lighter now and they are therefore more likly to flip and roll. They make them lighter for the aerodynamic effect but in cases such as this the aerodynamics work aginst the driver. Also they make cars so they wil fold like an accordian when hit , this helps avoid the engine moving into the seating compartment in head on cllissions.

andilynn 7 years, 11 months ago

Well, let me just say that these guys in this car didn't really pay attention. I was driving into north lawrence today, and they almost hit me. I barely swerved in time to miss them. They had ran, yet another stop sign. Had they hit me, I probably would be seriously injured. I had a dump truck from my nephews shop behind me, a car to the right of me, and a car infront of me. They just came barreling from a side road, and thought it would be fun to run the stop sign. They ended up passing me, and when I looked at them they laughed, like they wanted to cause a wreck. I feel bad that they did exactly what they wanted to do. Had I not be paying really close attention, this article would have been out at like 11 this morning. Although it says they were all in seat belts, when I saw them, they weren't wearing any. I hope the driver of the van is alright. But as far as those two guys go, they got what they deserved. You drive stupid, you will end up hurt. I hope that the cops gave them massive tickets. They are a$$holes.

Confrontation 7 years, 11 months ago

Anything is possible when you're from Missery.

gphawk89 7 years, 11 months ago

How do cars keep ending up upside-down on city streets? I can understand flipping over in a highway accident where high speed is involved, but in town? How fast were these guys going, anyway?