Archive for Thursday, May 18, 2006

Parents behind in child support face driving limit

May 18, 2006

— Parents behind in their court-ordered child support payments will have their driving privileges severely restricted in Kansas after July 1, when a new law goes into effect.

Gov. Kathleen Sebelius on Wednesday signed the legislation, spelling out that those owing more than $500 in child support will find their driving limited to going to and from work or school, or medical emergencies.

The Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services can request the restricted license until the debt is paid or arrangements made to pay what's owed.

Originally, those owing would have lost their licenses, but the Senate changed that to restrict driving. Senators said it made no sense to deny a person the ability to earn money to pay the child support.

Most child support payments in Kansas go through SRS to the parent primarily responsible for the child's care. SRS says the new law will mean an additional $200,000 in child support collections.

About 54 percent of children owed support money receive the full amount, and the average amount owed by deadbeat parents is $7,127. SRS says for the one-year period ending June 30, 2005, child support collections were $156 million. Kansas ranks 36th nationally in enforcing child support orders.

Efforts to restrict hunting and fishing licenses of such parents died last week.

Comments

worriedmom 7 years, 11 months ago

I have a question, i pay child support for my daughter, my ex has custody of her, but mostly i havent. instead i buy whatever she needs and more. which when i have added it up i actullay spend double then im suppose to pay. the only reason i dont send it in is because i know he does drugs i just cant prove it in court because he knows how to flush his system. what do i do?

mom_of_three 7 years, 11 months ago

No, when you catch them, throw them in jail, and make them pay a fine to get out, and then give that to the kids, but don't reduce any of the oustanding child support.

To the above posters- I am sorry you have spouses who are taking you through the wringer, although I have only heard one side of the story. I can assure you that is not always the case with custodial parents.
I think this law is a good start, but it isn't going to solve the problems.

KSChick1 7 years, 11 months ago

Are the cops going to sit down the street from every parent who is behind on child support, follow them wherever they go, and then pull them over if the trip was not to work/school/or the ER? And like someone said above, then throw them in jail where they can't work, and then assign fines that again will keep the money from going to the kids? Once knew a woman with 4 kids and she was told by SRS they couldn't do anything until her ex was $40,000 behind in support. In the meantime her lights, gas, and water were always on the verge of being shut off. He would get a job either working for cash (driving cabs in Topeka) or when the garnishee order came through he would quit and get another cash-paying job or just another job until the next order came through. We can all agree she probably picked the wrong man to marry and have kids with, but she did work full time to support them as best she could. It just was not always enough. It's heartbreaking.

Cait McKnelly 7 years, 11 months ago

I am a woman who is a noncustodial parent. I was so worked over by the courts in Wynadotte County it isn't funny. When I broke up with my ex he left me with over 20K in debt. I have spent the last 8 years paying it off. He got custody of my children illegally. Neither I nor my attorney was informed of the hearing that was held that gave him custody. And he got away with it. At that hearing he was assigned child support that was over twice what he was due based on income information that HE gave the court. How did he get away with this? His attorney was the uncle of one of the judges. I have been back to court three times trying to get custody of the children. All three times I was refused. I am not a dead beat nor am I drug addict/alcoholic/abusive parent. Indeed in the eight years he has had custody I have racked up evidence after evidence that he has abused and neglected those kids. Last summer he and his current wife had to go through SRS mandated family preservation counseling for documented abuse. He received a payment of over 3000 dollars in back support I owed. He spent it on a plasma screen TV. I have no recourse. The law is a joke. Custodial parents are not mandated in any way to account for the money they are paid in support. The state is more concerned with making sure it doesn't have to put out a dime on these kids than they are in making sure the kids are cared for.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 11 months ago

I would assume that this law applies to any parent not paying child support, and that would be both men and women. Some women do not get custody, and are ordered to pay child support as well.

offtotheright 7 years, 11 months ago

You picked the wrong woman to be the mother of your children. You probably have figured that out already.

rightthinker 7 years, 11 months ago

I've paid my child support like clockwork for over eight years (and it ain't cheap) and I can guarantee you, my kids don't see a dime of it. Where does it go, I'll tell you:

1.Marlboro lights by the case 2. Vodka by the case 3. Tattoos 4. Nights out with the gals 5. Frozen pizzas, mac-n-cheese, beans-n-weenies

Thank god my wife and I have a 529 and fully plan on buying their vehicles and paying for their college (they're 12 and 14). I get them every other weekend, eight weeks in the summer, spring break plus, plus, plus and my x-wife said and I'll quote from a court case from her and her (then second husbands) substance abuse and abuse when I filed a motion "He's a deadbeat dad and and absentee father". That is a quote from the stupid b*tch and all I needed was a Kansas Payment Center on line print out and three of four people close to me and my kids to dispute her bogus claim.

This BS with the liberal courts knee-jerking in favor of every foul, vile wretched soon-to-be x-wife is a travesty and it needs to be fixed. No wonder so many divorced males are filled with hostility. The liberal judges make these decisions on auto-pilot, no thought, no due diligence---nothing. It's a joke!!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 11 months ago

If I'm reading this correctly, they better live close to a grocery store.

mom_of_three 7 years, 11 months ago

I am wondering how the courts will follow up - to see if payments are made, and whether to restrict driving privileges. I don't see it working unless follow ups are done.

I was surprised to see the State will still allow deadbeats to fish and hunt. (It screams "Let's not take away their freedoms, but let their kids struggle" and "let's not take away from any of the State's revenue) But maybe the State can compare the databases of the fishing licenses issued against the database of deadbeats and find some useful information.

lonelyboy 7 years, 11 months ago

Nothing will happen to these deadbeats in this town. Go to court tell a lie and walk,,, happens with deadbeats everytime the go to court. This town and judicial systems is jacked up on this issue.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 11 months ago

The state could not put ristrictions on those who are already behind and currently paying, but could for those who are not paying, but it looks like it will be ok for them to drive as long as they enter into a pay agreement and keep up with the payments. I suspect there may be limits placed on those who are way behind to ensure they get on it.

anonymus 7 years, 11 months ago

Legend I hope you have money for a cab !!!! I'm sure somehow you'll find money for that and drinks, heaven forbid you should think about spending it on your child F.Y.I legend = dead beat dad

offtotheright 7 years, 11 months ago

Dyntech isn't the only child support enforcement.

If a person who doesn't regularly receive child support, but doesn't want to persue the license restriction, I highly doubt that the state, or anyone else is going to do it without their permission. I would say this will be more of a persistant calling thing!

mom_of_three 7 years, 11 months ago

enforcer - you seem to know a lot about this.

Is the state going to automatically put driving restrictions on all those who are in arears, or just those who refuse or avoid paying child support?
Do you know what will happen to the deadbeat when he/she is found driving on his restricted license? And are they going to do some checks to make sure deadbeats aren't driving on restricted licenses, or just check during traffic stops? It seems like a good idea, but I don't know if it will change anything unless the deadbeat is faced with a stiff penalty.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 11 months ago

no not at all, Dyntech collects support and payments are sent to kansas payment center then to costodial parents. All court orders are submitted to these agencies even when if the parent is not on assistence. The problem is getting automatic withholding orders on noncostodial parents who frequently change jobs to avoid paying or those who work for cash. The courts set current support amounts and arrears owed but payments on arrears are low because they can only garnish a set percent of wages. If a paying parent suffers periods of unemployment cureent support becomes arrears, this adds up quickly and is hard to get, tax offset programs seize tax refuns and that is subtracted from arrears. If a non costodial parent claims they are unemployed the Judege will assess them at minimum wage and calculate from that amount. This law is for those who refuse to or avoid reporting income. It is a good thing

offtotheright 7 years, 11 months ago

"So hopefully by restricting it, the State will take the initiative and take the money owed to the child out of the paycheck instead of waiting for the deadbeat to pay it."

Where did you get this idea momofthree? The State tries to do this already.

I'm not too sure, but isn't this law only for deadbeats who children are on assistance? I believe this law is to get the State paid back, not the custodial parent that isn't on assistance.

Correct?

Confrontation 7 years, 11 months ago

Maybe this will help decrease the deadbeat dads' visits to the homes of future unpaid baby's mamma's.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 11 months ago

kids see more than some realize, and the anger for all involved destroys.

mom_of_three 7 years, 11 months ago

I was a lucky kid. My dad paid his support, with regularly scheduled visits, even when he was laid off from work. Some of my friends and cousins weren't so lucky, and I saw how their father's neglect (no visits or money) affected them.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 11 months ago

It is ok to be angry. Funny how non costodial parent's punish the kids for their spite against the ex mate. One time I recieved a support check after months of nothing and told my brother, a man who was standing near by said " make sure you spend it on your kids" I looked at him and said " not to worry I spend all my money on my kids" clearly the man was one of the resentful.

mom_of_three 7 years, 11 months ago

And what are they going to do when the deadbeat is caught driving on a restricted license, but isn't going to work or school? Are they going to throw them in jail, or would that prevent them from earning money? Make them pay a fine, and give it to the kids, but don't reduce the amount already owed.
Deadbeat parents really make me angry. Can you tell?