Archive for Thursday, May 18, 2006

KU proposes tuition increase

May 18, 2006

— Resident undergraduates at Kansas University would face a 14.3 percent tuition increase this fall under a proposal made today by school officials.

The Kansas Board of Regents will vote on the proposal next month.

KU Provost David Shulenburger said the increase would be the last one under a five-year plan to increase tuition as a way to improve the school and provide needs-based tuition grants.

"Students feel like they are getting more for their money," Shulenburger told the regents.

He asked that the regents also consider a proposal by KU to provide a guaranteed-tuition plan, in which first-time freshman who complete their degrees in four years have the same base tuition costs throughout those four years. KU would like to start that plan in the fall of 2007.

For next fall, however, KU's proposed tuition increase means that a resident undergraduate taking 15 credit hours, would pay $2,756.25 in tuition, which is $344.25 more than the current amount of $2,412.

Tuition would also increase 12.2 percent for resident graduate students; 9.1 percent for non-resident undergraduates; and 8.5 percent for non-resident graduate students.

At KU-Medical School, the proposed increase would be 12.1 percent for resident graduate students and 8.5 percent for non-resident graduate students.

KU also proposes increasing student fees.

Comments

flames_over_the_wasteland 9 years ago

Gotta find some way to pay for that useless new football stadium.

newsreader 9 years ago

they are not building a new football stadium genius

bmwjhawk 9 years ago

and the non-stadium is not going to be paid for through student tuition either

bmwjhawk 9 years ago

..and a new football stadium would not be useless. They could have simultaneous graduations.

johngalt 9 years ago

I thought TABOR caused tuition increases. Obviously not.

Hunter2049 9 years ago

Which students feel like they're getting more for their money? I, for one, do not share Mr. Shulenburger's views, and unlike Mr. Shulenburger, I am a student, and will be forced to come up with antoher $350 this fall if the measure passes. Absurdity.......pure absurdity that I'm paying nearly $6,000 per year (not including books, fees, and other expenses) for in-state tuition at a public, state sponsored university.......

bucephalus 9 years ago

The college I went to charged over $16K/year in tuition (and I wouldn't have been able to go there if I hadn't worked my tail off to get a bunch of grants and scholarships). Room, board and fees brought it up to well over $20,000 per year.

Sure, it was a private college and KU is a public university, but sometimes it's good to put things into perspective.

Fatty_McButterpants 9 years ago

KU is one of the least expensive public university's in the country.

Hunter2049 9 years ago

By doing a comparison at the College Board (http://apps.collegeboard.com/search/compare_schools.jsp?) you can see that KU is still among the cheapest in our area....so I suppose I don't have much to complain about in regards to our hometown school on its own. However, the national averages for tution have increased a great deal over the last few years, so even if KU is on the lower end of that, the national average shouldn't be increasing as much as it is.

cowboy 9 years ago

13% jumps are nothing other than robbery. Maybe with all that money they could pay a decent wage to all the little people that keep KU running that they pay like crap. By the way I am in no way an employee of KU , I couldn't afford to be !

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

Each year, the State of Kansas funds KU less and less and less and less...which has been the trend since the 1970s.

KU should just privatize and tend itself.

devobrun 9 years ago

Exxon-Mobil earned about 10% profit last year. Windfall profit taxes are in order.

The U increases tuition by 14% and it is explained by further cuts from the state.

The only difference between a non-profit and a for-profit is that the former pays no dividends to shareholders. I used to do business with university non-profits. The contracts contained (legally) an item in the 10% region called by some euphemism (contingency, capital refinance, etc.)

It was profit used to build a slush fund to build the business. Profits weren't distributed as dividends, but in higher salaries and capital expenditures. These higher salaries were justified by increased revenues as the business grew.

Invest in university tuition futures. Where else can you get a government-backed investment returning 14% per year.

MyName 9 years ago

This tuition increase is part of a five year plan (as the article said). Granted, it is our god-given right as Americans to complain about it everyone of those five years, but it really is old news. I'm just glad I graduated in year one of those series of increases.

DaREEKKU 9 years ago

Brilliant....raise tuition and then not do a thing with financial aid. Screw you KU, I"m going to law school somewhere else

Harry_Manback 9 years ago

My tuition has increased quite a bit since I began at KU 3 years ago, but has the quality improved? Noooooo....

Something is wrong with that. How come all these donors give money to build football facilities and monuments, but not to academics? Or if they do, then they sure don't advertise it much.

xenophonschild 9 years ago

It took me five years (1968-73) to get through KU - lost 1970 somewhere; never could find it - and the five years cost me a grand total of $15,000. But you shouldn't factor in only money when it comes to spending years of your youth in this magical place, with so many wonderful people.

I like the idea of KU going private. We would have a Jesus festival every year that would make the fundamentalist Christian conservative Republicans in the Legislature apoplectic with shocked rage.

anonimiss 9 years ago

How's this for a comparison: a 2001 LJ World article http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2001/dec... states that tuition is at $77.75 per credit hour. The proposed tuition is $183.75 per credit hour. That's a 136% increase over 5 years, or about 18.8% increase per year. What are you getting out of it? Nothing. The need for more money? A comparison of "peer" universities found that KU is cheap. Imagine that. Offering a good product for less than competitors. Hogwash! Can't be done! Let's raise tuition.

anonimiss 9 years ago

By the way, nobody at KU taught me how to do that math.

johngalt 9 years ago

Jayhawk226, please provide detailed documentation to prove that the State funding of higher has decreased.

It has not.

scary_manilow 9 years ago

Observer:

And maybe you should have passed some basic ENGLISH classes... Hate to be a grammar Nazi, but yadda yadda pot calling the kettle black.

How much money is the school paying Lew? And they need to increase tuition for WHAT? Oy vey...

Wilbur_Nether 9 years ago

Jayhawk226 suggested that: "KU should just privatize and tend itself.

"We wouldn't have to worry about the pesky state reps. and senators anymore--that alone is worth consideration!"

I am prepared to consider a policy proposal that the State divest itself of its regents institutions.