Archive for Tuesday, May 16, 2006

One person killed in I-35 accident

May 16, 2006

The Kansas Highway Patrol is responding to a one-vehicle fatality accident that's stopped southbound traffic on a stretch of Interstate 35 in Franklin County.

The victim's identity has not been released.

The wreck happened around 7 a.m. near mile marker 193, according to Franklin County dispatchers. Southbound traffic was being re-routed for a stretch of the highway, and northbound traffic was down to one lane.

Comments

blessed3x 8 years, 2 months ago

I passed this accident about 5 minutes after it happened. If I hadn't forgotten something at home and had to return, I may have been involved. This isn't typically a dangerous stretch of road. My condolences to the family. Our prayers are with you.

bellsnickels 8 years, 2 months ago

I passed the accident as well. Someone I know called me (and her family knows the trucker involved in the accident). She said the van was in the middle of the road when the truck hit it. There was also a Volkswagen with bumper damage. I wonder if the van/VW collided or something and then the truck hit the van. But this is total speculation.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 2 months ago

According to KCTV5 at noon, the van veered off the road and into the median for no apparent reason, and then swerved back into traffic, right in front of the semi. There was no mention of any other vehicles involved.

paladin 8 years, 2 months ago

jayhawks71 8 years, 2 months ago

blessed... thank God for intervening, right?

gbulldog 4 years, 6 months ago

I have not travel this road since before Xmas. However most drivers drive over the speed limit. Harder to control if you hit a slick spot or have tire problems. It is tragic when a person dies, especially a child. Pray for the family and the persons who had to work the wreck. Maybe the paper and TV outlets need to publish more graphic pictures of what happens to vechicles in crashes. It could save some lives.