Archive for Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Developer willing to tweak proposal

May 16, 2006

Members of the Fritzel family are willing to change their plans for a new downtown library to address concerns that the proposal may require the use of eminent domain to acquire some properties.

Bob Schulte, a vice president with Gene Fritzel Construction, said the company would be willing to back off the idea of locating the library along Sixth Street between Vermont and Kentucky streets.

Schulte said the company's plans could be adjusted to move the library to the site of the current post office at Seventh and Vermont streets. The post office has expressed an interest in moving from that site to a location closer to Interstate 70 to better serve its distribution system. A smaller downtown post office could be housed in a new library.

"We still think the Sixth Street location is the best site because people coming over the bridge will be looking at it directly, and people coming to downtown from the west will be looking at it directly," Schulte said. "But if the community decides that site is too political, the existing post office site would also accommodate the library."

Questions had emerged about the Sixth Street site because it would require acquiring homes in the 600 block of Kentucky Street. One of the homeowners told city leaders Monday he had no intention to sell his property.

"I didn't buy this as investment property," said Barton Nash, who lives at 620 Ky. "I bought it to be my home."

Comments

Richard Heckler 8 years, 2 months ago

We don't take homes away for a new library. There is vacant space at 9th and New Hampshire that would require no money to be spent on demolition,relocating no business or homeowner and a parking garage that has never been used to its capacity sitting across the street.

A library as the only tenant in a building seems most practical.

delta77 8 years, 2 months ago

The original Fritzel proposal is my favorite. It would definitely create a classy, upscale section of downtown on that corner.

bankboy119 8 years, 2 months ago

That nobody in Lawrence can afford.

Just finished your sentence for you delta.

Godot 8 years, 2 months ago

They are "willing" to remove the expectation of the exercise of eminent domain for private develolpment because the legislature took that option away.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 2 months ago

With the library part of the mix, they probably could exercise eminent domain. And even if they couldn't, I think the law that was passed would allow the city to ask the state legislature to grant an exemption.

But I hope none of that happens.

Suqaad 8 years, 2 months ago

Yes, with the library as part of the mix, eminent domain could become imminent. However, as the homeowner objecting to the loss of my home on Kentucky St., I"m willing to make this as political and ugly as it takes to keep my home. If I have to start another Indian war, I'm willing to pull out that race card. The government already took my great-great grandfather's land. I'm keeping my home. No statistics, no cute quotes, you want my home? Too bad.

J Good Good 8 years, 2 months ago

What the paper is NOT going to mention is that the SIMONS PROPOSAL CALLS FOR DEMOLISHING HOMES ON CONNECTICUT AND RHODE ISLAND AS WELL. HISTORIC HOMES. For their improved parking access. Not going to get the straight story on that are we?

akuna 8 years, 2 months ago

Of course if the Fritzells are really concerned with visiblity from 6th street then they could offer up their land and the old Willy C's building and build the library there. That would be a nice self sacrificing thing to do.