Archive for Friday, May 12, 2006

Registered sex offender faces new charges

May 12, 2006

A man who already is listed as a sex offender on the state's offender registry has been charged with molesting a young female acquaintance.

The 34-year-old Lawrence man was arrested Wednesday on a warrant and made a first appearance Thursday in Douglas County District Court. Prosecutors say he molested the girl between 2000 and 2001, when she was between 8 and 10 years old.

The man is listed as a sex offender on the Kansas offender registry because of a 2000 conviction in Schaumburg, Ill., for abducting a 14-year-old girl, according to the Douglas County Sheriff's Office, which monitors registered offenders in the county. He mentioned the case in court Thursday when Judge Pro Tem Peggy Kittel asked him if he had a record.

"It's a case of child abduction, Internet-related," he said.

Further details of his prior case were not available Thursday.

The man's bond had been set at $30,000, but after learning of his prior crime Kittel set the bond at $50,000. She scheduled his next court appearance for Wednesday.

He is charged with one count of aggravated criminal sodomy and one count of aggravated indecent liberties with a child.

The Journal-World generally does not name people accused of a sex crime unless there has been a conviction.

Comments

VoiceOfReason 7 years, 11 months ago

I just realized I swore in my previous post...I apoligize to anyone offended. I've never done that before...it just came out without thinking. Here's my post without the offensive term, in case it gets pulled...

That's the *** that lives less than a half mile from me. I looked up the offenders in my area a long time ago. It's amazing how many of them live within a half mile of an elementary school. One lives directly across the street from Prairie Park. I hope the charges are wrong, just so a poor child won't have to recover from something so horrific. Anyone who could do that is just completely sick and should rot.

VoiceOfReason 7 years, 11 months ago

That's the son of a bitch that lives less than a half mile from me. I looked up the offenders in my area a long time ago. It's amazing how many of them live within a half mile of an elementary school. One lives directly across the street from Prairie Park. I hope the charges are wrong, just so a poor child won't have to recover from something so horrific. Anyone who could do that is just completely sick and should rot.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 11 months ago

thankyou stallion , it all just is unfair to victims get abused and it just keeps happening , it seems like the system makes it so hard on the victims that to some it is not worth telling anyone until years and years later are world is a sad place to be anymore. enforcer just keep telling your story loud so the kids that are afraid have someone yelling for them

mom_of_three 7 years, 11 months ago

I was able to narrow down the name by the year of registration, date of birth, and crime. What's creepier - i know exactly where he is, and he isn't far enough away from me or my kids.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 11 months ago

That is false, while famile sexual abuse is common, more than 1/3 of the abusers are known to but not related to the victim. The neighbor across the street is in a higher risk catagory than most, because your child may play with his child and your child may spend the night or got on outings with him. Parent's are more likly to trust another Parent who lives right across the street vs across town especially in emergency situation. Or what about the single man who has the golden retriver your son loves to play frisbee with and since your a divorced woman you think the male bonding is good for your son. Someone said in a n earlier post that the photos of these guys are scary, but thats only because you kinow and they have been caught. The average molester does not look frightening; example look at all the Priests who have been caught- gentle men of God they are. How about the Teachers, any one notice the increase there? And women while there is less frequency, thinking a woman won't is very bad, because they do, they just don't get caught as much, their approach is diffrent and less intrusive, often a child is not even sure when a woman is the Perp. Everyone is cause for concern.

daniboy 7 years, 11 months ago

I think you should be more worried about the offender that might be living in your own home than the one that you know lives across the street. What you don't know may hurt your children. Like Uncle Bob, or your best friend. Or your wife, husband, brother, etc.

pinkrose 7 years, 11 months ago

Oh my gosh. I have found out the person's name and briefly met him and his family a few years ago. This is scary.

terri 7 years, 11 months ago

Go to Illinois Registery and you will be able to find out this person's name. Type in Schwaumbeg Illinois - Match the information that is provided to you by the Kansas and Illinois Registery and and you will know the person's name.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 11 months ago

Oprah did a investigation on the subjuct and went into the prison where these men were serving time, she spoke to predators who had been released as well, many who were inside were repeat offenders and admitted they had learned new ways to intice and trick while incarcerated. Bottom line once they cross over there isn't reform. 20/20 did a piece on eletro conditioning, that isn't effective, casteration does nothing, There was a clip on a K.C. web page yesterday about an attack on a very young child, apperently started with the kid spilling something, followed by beating and ending in violent sexual assault. Any one who goes from spilled kool-aid to that kind of violence is messed up.

Stallion 7 years, 11 months ago

In reply to mommaeffortx2: When doing any research on statistics there always seems to be a slide factor. Although most research indicates the recidivism rate for sex crimes is actually lower (less chance of repeating) than other crimes. In studying victimology it raised some questions for me. The numbers statistically don't mean much to me, what does is the victims of sex crimes. There is a term "less dead" which is used to describe victims of crimes that come from a subculture. From our poor neighborhoods, prostitutes, homeless, drug addicts, homosexuals, etc. What really concerns me is that in all the political rhetoric, we minimize the victims. We must allow the victims of sexual offenders to have a voice.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 11 months ago

your pain is strong with good cause and you put it down in here very well and the rot in hell part agreed keep on surviving that is how you beat them. You are not crushed you are not beat and you are not hiding. Be strong enforcer. they will all get it in the end

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm not a criminal justice major, but I am a survior and I do not believe there is any punishment that can rectify perpetration on a child, the very act of sexual abuse wether it be 1 or 50 times forever changes the spirit. To have someone you trust or are raised to respect use their authority to demean and damage one's innocence. It's a wound that never heals, no one can see it, but you think everyone can. It creates conflict with good and right emotion, like your first crush, your first love, your first time ,you're never really a virgin, it's not the experience your peers share. you are not like everyone else, hell you are not even sure you are like yourself, because someone took that. Selfish that's what they, theives, and scum. May every one of them rot in hell.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 11 months ago

as a criminal justice student, would you say most sex offenders repeat the offence or not? just a question not trying to say you are wrong I just want to know the stats. is all but like I said but them on an Island and let them fend for themselves is what I think

Stallion 7 years, 11 months ago

When any individual commits a sex offense, have been convicted and completed the time and then are released. It becomes both their responsibility and opportunity to change and give back to society the goods inherited at birth. Change is possible if applied from within, but for those not willing to accept responsibility and make the change is human error and certainly another bad choice. A second conviction is worthy of permanent punishment....for those that continue to sexually assault a child should face severe punishment at the cheapest cost to taxpayers....one solution might be Chemical Blindness. "You can't hurt, what you can't see" and this would perhaps reduce the cost of prison...place them in a location at their own expense. As a webmaster for Crime-US.com I have read more than my share of crimes, as a criminal justice student I look for improvements to resolve crime, but if someone is unwilling to change then all is lost. "Its not what you say, but what you do" that counts. What also concerns me with these crimes, I've wondered where the parents are when their small child is being assulted. In some cases they should also be held responsible, even charged for endangering the welfare of a child, would you all agree?

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 11 months ago

Here's what I hope. I hope that Richardson gets locked up for the rest of his miserable life and that they withhold medication so he feels every bit of pain.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 11 months ago

hope is always nice but hard to find sometimes

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 11 months ago

I've been to that site before. It's a scary place. Three things that scare me about that page: 1) the charges, like "with animal", 2) the fact that some of them are smiling [are they taking this seriously?], and 3) the really bad haircuts. Wow, some them really need to find their way to Supercuts.

In all seriousness, it's difficult to see so many young men with their faces plastered on the web like that. Some of those guys have (HAD) their whole lives ahead of them... then they really screwed up. The older ones may not be "salvagable", but those young guys can turn themselves around, if not for the stigma that they may never shake. Some mistakes cost, big-time.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 11 months ago

I am thinking I should move 2 of those guys are 1 to 2 blocks away and a third is only a few blocks away scary and people wander why I am so protective even of my grown girls sick people for sure....

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 11 months ago

Momma Effort: that place is call Australia

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 11 months ago

I'd like to see a comment by a LJW staffer. I cannot understand why it makes sense to withhold the name. Knowing his name doesn't tell us who he may or may not have molested. It seems like a cafeteria style approach to 1st amendment rights. Why is the paper "policing" themselves? If telling his name somehow reveals information about victims, I understand, but otherwise report the whole story.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 11 months ago

remember the movie escape from newyork well we should think of doing something like that to men and or women like this just put them on an island they can not get off of and say survive or not we will not foot the bill for you anymore and we will not let you harm us anymore. I know not nice but I am so tired of everyday hearing stories like this something has to change.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 11 months ago

I went to the site there are 3 who were born in 1971, but only one who has not yet had his birthday, he was born on 8-23-71 and charged with child abduction. pretty easy to find, go look.

justanothervoice 7 years, 11 months ago

Well, if the Journal World was doing this to protect the victim, they aren't doing it very well. They gave just enough information for one to figure out who it is. There are only 3 of that age, and only one of those for abduction. Do the math.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 11 months ago

if that is the case ok, but with the way things tend to work aroung here it is probably more for him. I just hope he pays big time and that that young girl has a lot of love and support my heart feels for her as a mom of three girls and from a family of four girls I just want people like him off the streets.

onehotmomma 7 years, 11 months ago

Possibly by releasing his name, people may figure out who it is that he molested. I believe that this is to protect the victim more than the accused.

KSFINEST 7 years, 11 months ago

True, they should release his name as far as being a sex offender, but you can't say that thats fair to release his name on this case. This case supposed to happen 5 years ago. The little girl could be lying just cause she know he's a sex offender. How do you wait 5 years to come forward on accusations like that. The parents of this girl had to of known before this.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 11 months ago

No name.. by all means we must protect this poor man. yeah right. I would like to know when people like this had more rights and protection then the poor kids and women the victimize. The system seems to have it backwards......

mom_of_three 7 years, 11 months ago

I wonder what time he served in Illinois. But whatever it was, it evidently wasn't long enough.

Confrontation 7 years, 11 months ago

I can't believe that our legal system allows any man who abducted a child to walk the streets. Children and women will continue to be constant victims until they are made a priority.

bigmike 7 years, 11 months ago

the sad thing is he will just keep moving from place to place doing the same vile trash if Our local justice system doesnt put him away for a long time. if he thinks it is ok to rape someone, put him in in prison and he will get a Big taste of his own medicine!!!

mom_of_three 7 years, 11 months ago

He had a conviction in Illinois in 2000, moved to Lawrence, and may have molested a child between 2000-2001? You wonder if there are any other victims out there. I hope not.

mom_of_three 7 years, 11 months ago

Then if you look at the dates that the guy was registered, and you can pretty much pinpoint who it is.
(as long as he was registered as living in Lawrence)

GardenMomma 7 years, 11 months ago

You can easily find out who this guy is. Just go to the registered sex offender registery for Kansas and look for people aged 34 in Lawrence. I did and found three - one for sexual battery, one for kidnapping, and one for attempted aggravated indecent solicitation of a child to commit a sex act.

Go to: https://www.accesskansas.org/ssrv-registered-offender/city.do

mom_of_three 7 years, 11 months ago

If he listed on the registry, and from Lawrence, it narrows it down due to his age. And it should be listed according to his crime, then you might be able to figure out who it is.
I can understand not releasing his name if he was just in custody, but he has been charged in court.

Nikki May 7 years, 11 months ago

Really, why don't they release the name? Just curious. I mean, they release names of people charged with other crimes.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 11 months ago

The guy has been convicted, just not of this one. The reality is he probably did it else he would not have been xcharged again. The LJW should consider if this guy makes bond to release the name. Freankly the new victim may not be the only one Parents's of other victims who may have had contact should be made aware so they can assure the man is held accountable if there are more. Have we learned nothing from Richardson?