Archive for Friday, May 12, 2006

Registered sex offender faces new charges

May 12, 2006

A man who already is listed as a sex offender on the state's offender registry has been charged with molesting a young female acquaintance.

The 34-year-old Lawrence man was arrested Wednesday on a warrant and made a first appearance Thursday in Douglas County District Court. Prosecutors say he molested the girl between 2000 and 2001, when she was between 8 and 10 years old.

The man is listed as a sex offender on the Kansas offender registry because of a 2000 conviction in Schaumburg, Ill., for abducting a 14-year-old girl, according to the Douglas County Sheriff's Office, which monitors registered offenders in the county. He mentioned the case in court Thursday when Judge Pro Tem Peggy Kittel asked him if he had a record.

"It's a case of child abduction, Internet-related," he said.

Further details of his prior case were not available Thursday.

The man's bond had been set at $30,000, but after learning of his prior crime Kittel set the bond at $50,000. She scheduled his next court appearance for Wednesday.

He is charged with one count of aggravated criminal sodomy and one count of aggravated indecent liberties with a child.

The Journal-World generally does not name people accused of a sex crime unless there has been a conviction.

Comments

Nikki May 8 years, 7 months ago

Really, why don't they release the name? Just curious. I mean, they release names of people charged with other crimes.

mom_of_three 8 years, 7 months ago

If he listed on the registry, and from Lawrence, it narrows it down due to his age. And it should be listed according to his crime, then you might be able to figure out who it is.
I can understand not releasing his name if he was just in custody, but he has been charged in court.

GardenMomma 8 years, 7 months ago

You can easily find out who this guy is. Just go to the registered sex offender registery for Kansas and look for people aged 34 in Lawrence. I did and found three - one for sexual battery, one for kidnapping, and one for attempted aggravated indecent solicitation of a child to commit a sex act.

Go to: https://www.accesskansas.org/ssrv-registered-offender/city.do

mom_of_three 8 years, 7 months ago

Then if you look at the dates that the guy was registered, and you can pretty much pinpoint who it is.
(as long as he was registered as living in Lawrence)

mom_of_three 8 years, 7 months ago

He had a conviction in Illinois in 2000, moved to Lawrence, and may have molested a child between 2000-2001? You wonder if there are any other victims out there. I hope not.

Mike Wagner 8 years, 7 months ago

the sad thing is he will just keep moving from place to place doing the same vile trash if Our local justice system doesnt put him away for a long time. if he thinks it is ok to rape someone, put him in in prison and he will get a Big taste of his own medicine!!!

Confrontation 8 years, 7 months ago

I can't believe that our legal system allows any man who abducted a child to walk the streets. Children and women will continue to be constant victims until they are made a priority.

mom_of_three 8 years, 7 months ago

I wonder what time he served in Illinois. But whatever it was, it evidently wasn't long enough.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 7 months ago

No name.. by all means we must protect this poor man. yeah right. I would like to know when people like this had more rights and protection then the poor kids and women the victimize. The system seems to have it backwards......

onehotmomma 8 years, 7 months ago

Possibly by releasing his name, people may figure out who it is that he molested. I believe that this is to protect the victim more than the accused.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 7 months ago

if that is the case ok, but with the way things tend to work aroung here it is probably more for him. I just hope he pays big time and that that young girl has a lot of love and support my heart feels for her as a mom of three girls and from a family of four girls I just want people like him off the streets.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 7 months ago

remember the movie escape from newyork well we should think of doing something like that to men and or women like this just put them on an island they can not get off of and say survive or not we will not foot the bill for you anymore and we will not let you harm us anymore. I know not nice but I am so tired of everyday hearing stories like this something has to change.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

I'd like to see a comment by a LJW staffer. I cannot understand why it makes sense to withhold the name. Knowing his name doesn't tell us who he may or may not have molested. It seems like a cafeteria style approach to 1st amendment rights. Why is the paper "policing" themselves? If telling his name somehow reveals information about victims, I understand, but otherwise report the whole story.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

Momma Effort: that place is call Australia

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 7 months ago

I am thinking I should move 2 of those guys are 1 to 2 blocks away and a third is only a few blocks away scary and people wander why I am so protective even of my grown girls sick people for sure....

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

I've been to that site before. It's a scary place. Three things that scare me about that page: 1) the charges, like "with animal", 2) the fact that some of them are smiling [are they taking this seriously?], and 3) the really bad haircuts. Wow, some them really need to find their way to Supercuts.

In all seriousness, it's difficult to see so many young men with their faces plastered on the web like that. Some of those guys have (HAD) their whole lives ahead of them... then they really screwed up. The older ones may not be "salvagable", but those young guys can turn themselves around, if not for the stigma that they may never shake. Some mistakes cost, big-time.

Stallion 8 years, 7 months ago

When any individual commits a sex offense, have been convicted and completed the time and then are released. It becomes both their responsibility and opportunity to change and give back to society the goods inherited at birth. Change is possible if applied from within, but for those not willing to accept responsibility and make the change is human error and certainly another bad choice. A second conviction is worthy of permanent punishment....for those that continue to sexually assault a child should face severe punishment at the cheapest cost to taxpayers....one solution might be Chemical Blindness. "You can't hurt, what you can't see" and this would perhaps reduce the cost of prison...place them in a location at their own expense. As a webmaster for Crime-US.com I have read more than my share of crimes, as a criminal justice student I look for improvements to resolve crime, but if someone is unwilling to change then all is lost. "Its not what you say, but what you do" that counts. What also concerns me with these crimes, I've wondered where the parents are when their small child is being assulted. In some cases they should also be held responsible, even charged for endangering the welfare of a child, would you all agree?

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 7 months ago

as a criminal justice student, would you say most sex offenders repeat the offence or not? just a question not trying to say you are wrong I just want to know the stats. is all but like I said but them on an Island and let them fend for themselves is what I think

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 7 months ago

your pain is strong with good cause and you put it down in here very well and the rot in hell part agreed keep on surviving that is how you beat them. You are not crushed you are not beat and you are not hiding. Be strong enforcer. they will all get it in the end

Stallion 8 years, 7 months ago

In reply to mommaeffortx2: When doing any research on statistics there always seems to be a slide factor. Although most research indicates the recidivism rate for sex crimes is actually lower (less chance of repeating) than other crimes. In studying victimology it raised some questions for me. The numbers statistically don't mean much to me, what does is the victims of sex crimes. There is a term "less dead" which is used to describe victims of crimes that come from a subculture. From our poor neighborhoods, prostitutes, homeless, drug addicts, homosexuals, etc. What really concerns me is that in all the political rhetoric, we minimize the victims. We must allow the victims of sexual offenders to have a voice.

terri 8 years, 7 months ago

Go to Illinois Registery and you will be able to find out this person's name. Type in Schwaumbeg Illinois - Match the information that is provided to you by the Kansas and Illinois Registery and and you will know the person's name.

pinkrose 8 years, 7 months ago

Oh my gosh. I have found out the person's name and briefly met him and his family a few years ago. This is scary.

daniboy 8 years, 7 months ago

I think you should be more worried about the offender that might be living in your own home than the one that you know lives across the street. What you don't know may hurt your children. Like Uncle Bob, or your best friend. Or your wife, husband, brother, etc.

mom_of_three 8 years, 7 months ago

I was able to narrow down the name by the year of registration, date of birth, and crime. What's creepier - i know exactly where he is, and he isn't far enough away from me or my kids.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 7 months ago

thankyou stallion , it all just is unfair to victims get abused and it just keeps happening , it seems like the system makes it so hard on the victims that to some it is not worth telling anyone until years and years later are world is a sad place to be anymore. enforcer just keep telling your story loud so the kids that are afraid have someone yelling for them

Susan Mangan 8 years, 7 months ago

That's the son of a bitch that lives less than a half mile from me. I looked up the offenders in my area a long time ago. It's amazing how many of them live within a half mile of an elementary school. One lives directly across the street from Prairie Park. I hope the charges are wrong, just so a poor child won't have to recover from something so horrific. Anyone who could do that is just completely sick and should rot.

Susan Mangan 8 years, 7 months ago

I just realized I swore in my previous post...I apoligize to anyone offended. I've never done that before...it just came out without thinking. Here's my post without the offensive term, in case it gets pulled...

That's the *** that lives less than a half mile from me. I looked up the offenders in my area a long time ago. It's amazing how many of them live within a half mile of an elementary school. One lives directly across the street from Prairie Park. I hope the charges are wrong, just so a poor child won't have to recover from something so horrific. Anyone who could do that is just completely sick and should rot.