Archive for Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Sexiest Vegetarian Alive’ a KU student

May 10, 2006

Ricky House

Ricky House

Kansas University student Ricky House has been crowned the male "Sexiest Vegetarian Alive" by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).

The Salina native was among 10 male finalists for the title.

As winner, he received a $50 gift certificate from a nonleather shoe retailer, cologne, a box of vegan chocolate truffles, coupons for veggie burgers and other gifts. He also will be featured in Animal Times, PETA's magazine.

Comments

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

This is a joke, right? He's going to be the centerfold for Animal Times magazine?

Hey, I'm going to be Mr. June in Fried Pork Rinds Monthly. Check me out. I won a year's supply of lard, a free case of Remington 12 ga. "turkey loads" for my shotgun, and will be honorary chairperson of the American Royal BBQ competetion.

Apparently PETA doesn't consider humans to be animals because this contest of their's is making my head hurt. My animal rights are being violated.

acg 8 years, 7 months ago

He's cute, but he looks a bit weak. Like maybe he could use a fat sammich or burger or something. Ricky, be a man!! Stop eating chick food. You know if God didn't want us to eat the animals he wouldn't have made them out of yummy meat.

JimmyJoeBob 8 years, 7 months ago

What a pose for what I am assuming is a high school soccer picture. I am sure the hair is what won it for him. What are they feeding.... Let me rephrase that. What aren't they feeding the kids of Salina.

Universe 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm surprised the "Sexiest Vegetarian Alive" has the strength to hold his head up with all those veggie burgers. Just one question; weren't soccer balls leather? Hmm... Earth to the "Sexiest Vegetarian Alive"; your still killing what you eat.

bankboy119 8 years, 7 months ago

....wasn't there a story about this awhile ago? Or was it just that he was nominated?

JHawker 8 years, 7 months ago

dude... i dont know what you all are complaining about. apparently since you all love meat - there is more of it for you. for ricky? i think being a vegan is an awesome thing.. and if i could do it? i would. and hey - its a nice picture too....

monkeywrench1969 8 years, 7 months ago

Why are the vegan so pastey looking. What is funny is the originator of the vegan movement was inspired by one of the Peta/Vegan/straight edge arch foe's:

Uncle Ted Nugent

Rock and roll baby

monkeywrench1969 8 years, 7 months ago

I correct myself it was the originator of the straight edge vegan movement

Excerpt:

In the book Our Band Could Be Your Life, MacKaye reports that during the mid- and late 1970's, he and friends often missed musical performances by their favorite groups because they were held in clubs in and around Washington, D.C. that served alcoholic drinks and banned anyone under 21 years of age from entering.

Rock musician Ted Nugent was an early inspiration for MacKaye and his close friend Henry Rollins.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

I used to work with a woman who decided to go veggie. She wasn't eating any more meat, period.

Then one day at lunch she's sitting there totally TEARING INTO a very scrumptious-looking cheeseburger. I inquired as to what happened to her former commitment. She told me about a magazine article she had read that day. The article basically said that vegitarian women were becoming infertile because of the lack of proteins and other nutrients in their diets. So, she re-joined the ranks of the cow killers and never looked back. A recovered Vegan.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

Another "veggie tale":

I used to work with a guy who used to play farm-league pro hockey. He had become a vegitarian. Where we worked, the only food options were fast food, so he'd go to McDonald's and get 4 large fries for lunch, or to Taco Bell and get a bunch of bean burritos. I asked him if he knew what refried beans were made of. He covered his ears when I told him that they are usually made with LARD (that's why they sell "vegitarian refried beans" at the store). Some years later, it was revealed that McDonald's was using "meat products" to flavor their signature fries. Most of his vegitarian lifestyle was a farce. Hilarious.

dacs23 8 years, 7 months ago

Sorry about this one...

Perhaps PETA felt he was hu*g like a horse

tert 8 years, 7 months ago

i thought PETA stood for people for eating tasty animals?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

jwmound 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm going to eat a big juicy delicious hamburger for him... ha

gr 8 years, 7 months ago

"a $50 gift certificate from a nonleather shoe retailer"

Could someone explain what leather shoes and soccer balls have to do with being a vegetarian?

Kookamooka 8 years, 7 months ago

Will you guys just cut it out and leave the guy alone. Sheesh! Get a life!

Alfred_W 8 years, 7 months ago

I always tell vegetarians, "Just because you don't hear them scream - doesn't mean they don't!"

Who's to say that being an animal is the only kind of consciousness?

Fatty_McButterpants 8 years, 7 months ago

What a hair-do! All that tells me is that he didn't have the cajones to get an actual mohawk!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

Sorry, Kooka, but I can't. He wants to meet Texas rancher G. W. Bush?

To all vegitarians: You have canine teeth, which means you ARE a meat eater. You may choose to abstain from eating meat, but you ARE an animal that eats meat. It is your right to deny yourself the nutritious sustenance that your body was designed to consume, but not eating meat will not change the fact that you ARE a meat eating animal.

You cannot escape your destiny, Skywalker.

insanegrey 8 years, 7 months ago

I don't know why so many people get upset about other people's dietary choices. Does it affect you in any way? Or are you just trying to cover some insecurities you have?

Personally, I think vegetarianism is admirable, and I would like to try it myself, and maybe if I had a coach like Ricky I would be more successful. :-) He's very hot!

jwmound 8 years, 7 months ago

fiber is good and all... but i like a salad with my steak... i'm a meat eater and I'm very hot.. And.... I've killed animals... oh my word

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

Insecurities? I'm not the one afraid to eat meat.

Yes, these are their dietary choices, and they can make these choices. Just like listening to Abba: if they want to do that, that's their perogative.

This is my beef: I find it hard to ignore it when people use "illogic" to justify extreme choices. I've heard moral arguements, and I've heard dietary arguements against eating meat, and all those arguements are full of crap. The "reasons" for vegitarianism are lies.

The only decent arguement I've heard against eating meat is that cattle are ruining the environment with flatulence. Other than that, all the other arguments are crap. Crap, and flatulence.

jwmound 8 years, 7 months ago

yup,.. we could have an alternate energy source with all that flatulence.

AlexFenton 8 years, 7 months ago

I've got to feel a little sorry for Ricky.

He thinks he might get his 15 minutes of fame but only ends up being mocked by a bunch of lard-bottomed meat munchers with nothing better to do.

Bubarubu 8 years, 7 months ago

What an afternoon. I mean, gay jokes and insults because he doesn't eat a particular class of food. Way to go team, good use of the internets.

"Myspace. Increasing our isolation from each other by making us believe that a virtual life is an actual life."

This comment was especially amusing coming from someone who has 546 posts in these forums.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

546 Posts. Wow. I had no idea.

You make a good point. This really is a waste of time, isn't it?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

You know... some of my posts today have been somewhat aggressive in tone, and not of much value in enhancing anyone else's life. I guess I need to step back from the keyboard since I'm not really being as considerate as I could be.

bankboy119 8 years, 7 months ago

The difference between MySpace and LJW forum is that we can use the forum to make good use out of our day when we have down time. MySpace would waste my time outside of work.

local_support 8 years, 7 months ago

Factory meat is disgusting = best reason to be a vegetarian.

xenophonschild 8 years, 7 months ago

The factor that supercharged the growth of the human brain was that hominoids began to eat meat and the marrow of bones - protein that provided the nutritional foundation for larger brain growth.

I routinely cook pork loins and steaks in virgin olive oil, with braised onions, mushrooms, jalapeno peppers, and garlic. Mmm, good! And I suspect that vegetarians aren't getting enough sex . . . or, at the least, enough good sex.

mikeyj 8 years, 7 months ago

Here are both the winners on the website: http://www.goveg.com/f-sexyveg06-winners.asp

And here's the big picture of the female: http://www.goveg.com/page/stephanie.jpg

Tell me again how Veggie Rick is on par with that?

xenophonschild 8 years, 7 months ago

"KFC's cruelty to chickens"? Oh please. When I was a boy, few things were more anticipated than being allowed to snatch up a fryer by its neck, spin its body in a series of quick circles, and pop the neck off so the rest of the body would stagger a few moments on the ground, spouting blood from the eviscerated neck. Then into a vat of boiling water to soften the feathers, and on to plucking.

And what's the deal with hot babes and all these metal balls in their mouths and noses and eyebrows? I'm an old-fashioned hippie, and if a girl is hot, she don't need all that crap.

lunacydetector 8 years, 7 months ago

why do vegans name their foods after meat based foods - veggie burger (hamburger), Tofurky (turkey) ... etc? shouldn't they find this disgusting?

aren't soccer balls made out of leather?

xenophonschild 8 years, 7 months ago

40:

I know exactly what you mean. Alas, those days are long gone. Tell a kid to chop off a chicken's head, he'd turn you in to Social Services.

baldwinCITY 8 years, 7 months ago

Honestly, I don't know whether to laugh or cry...This young man receives an award/honor for taking more time and forethought as to how to best nourish his body each day and the rest of you are well, fill in the _! Congratulations, Ricky!

AnglNSpurs 8 years, 7 months ago

Actually....... they named the "Sexiest Vegetarian Alive," about a month or so ago (this is according the the PETA website) The female was a winner from Wellington, KS (a little town south of Wichita).. but here is the kicker-- She was raised on a cattle ranch her whole life!

Dont get me wrong I'm a member of PETA too... People for the Eating of Tasty Animals!

gr 8 years, 7 months ago

Old: "To all vegitarians: You have canine teeth, which means you ARE a meat eater."

I seem to recall that some dinosaurs were considered meat eaters due to their teeth and then it was decided they were plant eaters. Also, I read many primates don't eat meat.

Jayhawk226 8 years, 7 months ago

I wonder what the "sexiest vegeterian dead" looks like?

xenophonschild 8 years, 7 months ago

Would the worms and bacteria that eat him care one way or another that he was a veggie?

gr 8 years, 7 months ago

For those like the old dad who need an example that incisors do not a meat-eater make, see http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20020921/fob1.asp

local_support 8 years, 7 months ago

Vegan 8 years, 7 months ago

Prior to judging others ways of life learn up on the subject so you can present some facts. I find it remarkable how ignorant people are in regards to the harm that they do to the environment, themselves, and the animals. If you feel that vegetarians/vegans are judging you, aren't you judging them by thinking your way of life is the best because it's been around the longest?

An excerpt from http://www.indybay.org/news/2006/05/1822359.php In this dairy system we also create a massive hoarding of resources. There is a tremendous loss in energy, materials, labor and caloric value. Better use of these resources could help solve the food crisis on the planet and prevent the death by starvation of 29,500 children per day (according to UN statistics) and approximately 40 million people who starve to death each year. There is a tremendous amount of energy and grain that is required to feed the cows. The food required to feed 100 cows could potentially feed 2,000 people. The cows in the world consume two times the calories as the world human population. In US the cows consume five times the amount of grain as humans.

gr 8 years, 7 months ago

"Peripheral neuropathy was induced due to the lack of protein nd certain enzymes not found in the Vegan/Loon diet."

Please give credence to your comment by explaining with supporting facts, how much protein and enzymes we need, and how a vegetarian diet does not provide that amount.

Also, explain if it's not true some oriental cultures have existed for centuries eating mostly beans and rice with no ill effects - in fact out-living western cultures.

It's true there are some loonies who think vegetarians only eat iceberg lettuce, but they're on the fringes.

Thanks.

gr 8 years, 7 months ago

Marion,

Found any supporting protein facts?