Archive for Saturday, May 6, 2006

Poll shows conservatives abandoning GOP

May 6, 2006

— Angry conservatives are driving the approval ratings of President Bush and the GOP-led Congress to dismal new lows, according to an AP-Ipsos poll that underscores why Republicans fear an Election Day massacre.

Six months out, the intensity of opposition to Bush and Congress has climbed sharply, along with the percentage of Americans who think the nation is on the wrong track.

The AP-Ipsos poll also suggests that Democratic voters are far more motivated than Republicans. Elections in the middle of a president's term traditionally favor the party whose core supporters are the most energized.

This week's survey of 1,000 adults, including 865 registered voters, found:

¢ Just 33 percent of the public approves of Bush's job performance, the lowest of his presidency. That compares with 36 percent approval in early April. Forty-five percent of self-described conservatives now disapprove of the president.

¢ Just one-fourth of the public approves of the job Congress is doing, a new low in AP-Ipsos polling and down 5 percentage points since last month. A whopping 65 percent of conservatives disapprove of Congress.

¢ A majority of Americans say they want Democrats rather than Republicans to control Congress (51 percent to 34 percent). That's the largest gap recorded by AP-Ipsos since Bush took office. Even 31 percent of conservatives want Republicans out of power.

¢ The souring of the nation's mood has accelerated the last three months, with the percentage of people describing the nation on the wrong track rising 12 points to a new high of 73 percent. Six of 10 conservatives say America is headed in the wrong direction.

Republican strategists said the party would lose control of Congress unless the environment changed unexpectedly.

"It's going to take some events of significance to turn this around," GOP pollster Whit Ayres said. "I don't think at this point you can talk your way back from those sorts of ratings."

He said the party needed concrete progress in Iraq and action in Congress on immigration, lobbying reform and tax cuts.

"Those things would give the country a sense that Washington has heard the people and is responding in a way that will give conservatives a sense that their concerns are being addressed," Ayres said.

Conservative voters blame the White House and Congress for runaway government spending, illegal immigration and lack of action on social issues such as a constitutional amendment outlawing gay marriage. Those concerns come on top of public worries about Iraq, the economy and gasoline prices.

Comments

xenophonschild 8 years, 7 months ago

Gee, no kidding! Imagine that! Conservatives, finally seeing the light, abandon poor ol' GWB. Maybe they should've listened to us years ago.

bankboy119 8 years, 7 months ago

Xeno,

I don't agree with you on wanting Dems in office, but the current bunch has to go. The sad part is that by putting Dems in office we would probably have blanket amnesty, gay benefits all over and God would be even further removed than he is now. My solution would be to put a different batch of conservatives in that actually took some action. We're becoming like the French, all talk and no action.

melott 8 years, 7 months ago

You don't get it do you? They offer you gay marriage bans but all they are really about is tax cuts for the rich.

glockenspiel 8 years, 7 months ago

Kind of hard to cut taxes for the poor, when the poor don't pay any taxes

mefirst 8 years, 7 months ago

Melott,

You make a great point that everyone but the staunch conservative can see. They fail to recognize how the Republican party uses hot-button issues like gays, abortion, etc., to rile the public and get votes, yet they do NOTHING to live up to the campaign promises they make surrounding these issues. Take abortion for example...I know many Republicans who vote Republican simply on that issue, yet desipite having a conservative majority on the Supreme Court, in Congress, and the Executive office, Republicans have done NOTHING about abortion.

Republicans are master manipulators...and those they manipulate only want more.

mefirst 8 years, 7 months ago

Glockenspiel,

My gosh you're ignorant and hateful. And to think, people who think JUST LIKE YOU are those running this great country! It makes me sick.

glockenspiel 8 years, 7 months ago

Yes, I must say that you can't take my statement literally, they pay NEXT TO NO taxes. Therefore, you cannot cut taxes for the poor. That's not hateful, its a FACT. I have been in the lowest tax bracket my entire life. I lived a very humble childhood. I worked during college more than 95% of my fellow college students. During that time, I didn't pay any TAXES (compared to middle and upper tax brackets).

What I did do, however, is to work my ass off and chose a profession that will allow me to live comfortably and do allot of things I didn't get to do while growing up. I'll be damned if I let a bunch of pot smoking socialist hippies make me subsidize those that chose to drop out of high school, didn't go to college or chose to get a freaking arts degree.

Using your messed up logic, lowering taxes on gasoline would be a tax break for the rich because the rich buy more gasoline.

Sigmund 8 years, 7 months ago

Mefirst, My gosh you're self-centered. It's all about you and your needs isn't it? So how much of my stuff do you want the government to take away from me to give to you?

xenophonschild 8 years, 7 months ago

Liberal Democrats = fiscal responsibility. Remember you heard it here first.

xenophonschild 8 years, 7 months ago