Archive for Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Passer-by sniffs out marijuana operation

May 3, 2006

The Leavenworth County Sheriff's Office says it seized a million-dollar outdoor marijuana-growing operation early this week after a passer-by stumbled on it.

Leonard Ayres, a department spokesman, said the office received a tip Monday that led them to find more than 2,000 marijuana plants growing in a remote area in the southern part of the county. The operation appeared to have been tended by three or four people who lived at a nearby campsite stocked with groceries, tools and personal items, Ayres said.

The office isn't releasing the exact location of the operation, saying that to do so might harm the investigation into who was growing the pot.

The plants, which Ayres said would have been worth more than $1 million when mature, have been destroyed or taken as evidence.

Comments

b_asinbeer 8 years, 7 months ago

Judging from the ridiculous laugh, I'd say someone else on this board is high...

Bizkit 8 years, 7 months ago

Marion, you don't know anything about growing pot. So keep your comments to yourself.

geekin_topekan 8 years, 7 months ago

"I react to cannibidiol rather than THC, so if I toke on a number I just go sleepy-bye."

Thanks for that insight.I was afraid I was the only one.For a second I thought there was something wrong with me.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 7 months ago

A million dollars my ass....They weigh the plants and charge you for EVERY part of the plant.

xenophonschild 8 years, 7 months ago

Amen. K-pot isn't the greatest in the world, but about one in three loads will blow your tubes.

Marijuana should be legalized. It would be a pleasant past-time to grow your own, outside, and enjoy the crop.

KSChick1 8 years, 7 months ago

Aaaahhhhhh pot there's a song "Let's smoke some pot" I love potheads unless they are eating up my munchies then I want them deported

bankboy119 8 years, 7 months ago

Vince, that's not really true at all. Some of the smartest guys I knew were some of the biggest potheads I knew. Don't really know anyone now that does it though.

eotw33 8 years, 7 months ago

maybe that explains that smell on the highway every summer in the same spot.

xenophonschild 8 years, 7 months ago

Rightthinker:

The only thing about being on parole that sucks out loud is not being able to fire up a fat doobie. I can drink beer without too much trouble - it doesn't show up in U/A's, and I'm not much of a drinker anyway, but it would be way too much of a hassle to come up dirty for weed on a U/A.

I'm off paper in August, September at the latest, and - while I can't indicate any potential lawbreaking on a newspaper website - I'll leave it to your imagination how I intend to celebrate.

When I was an undergraduate, we always kept a bowl full of Jamaican white-bud in a humidor on the coffee table, as did most of our friends. Whenever anybody came over, or we'd go to someone's else's place, we'd fire up and smile about things.

That was a pleasant practice I'd very much like to see come back into vogue.

KSChick1 8 years, 7 months ago

That K-pot is picture perfect if you look at one of the leaves. Pot, well, hemp used to be a cash crop in this country until 1947. Then the gov't realized people weren't just weaving ropes for the war effort with it, they were smoking it too. Nowadays, the gov't confiscates the good sh and the police stand around taking big deep breaths while they are burning it into oblivion. For informational purposes only: it is better when grown indoors because you can force it to grow faster and can add nutrients and tend it for better quality. But watch out for those electric bills. The house on the golf course that was mentioned a few weeks ago where there was a "sophisticated" growing operation had over $200 a month electric bills when the neighbors were paying around $70. That is one big clue and the electric company will report this kind of thing. Alot of what gets people busted is not being circumspect in their dealings, whether buying, selling or using. I have a friend who will blow his last hit into his shirt before he leaves the house. STUPID. At least pretend you don't do it as there is always someone out there eager to pi in your wheaties and call the cops when they smell that unmistakable burnt pot smell.

KSChick1 8 years, 7 months ago

And there is still that pothead etiquette that you bring one to share when you go for a visit to a fellow potheads house. I love etiquette and try to follow it every chance I get. :)

badger 8 years, 7 months ago

I often wonder why criminals aren't smarter. I'd think that if you knew (because by now everyone knows) that the power company will report high power bills for grow lights, you'd learn to start off with a year or so of growing legal plants indoors like tomatoes and peppers, and wait till the cops got tired of raiding a perfectly law-abiding indoor botanist.

Baille 8 years, 7 months ago

"How could I ever leave picturesque Kansas though??"

Drive?

Michael Birch 8 years, 7 months ago

Anybody who knows anything about Kansas marijuana knows that is doesn't have any THC. $1,000,000 worth of marijuana-nope don't think so homy-nice try anyway!

DHD

mom13 8 years, 7 months ago

Wow what an interesting day of conversation. Legalizing would be good. It has it's downs but helps a lot more people than you think. Montel for example

mom13 8 years, 7 months ago

Oh yea and don't forget crime and cop time would decrease. Shoot if the government sold it the U.S. would be out of debt before ya know it.

shanefivedyes 8 years, 7 months ago

Why are we telling on each other?? People shut the hell up! I have 526 plant's in my basement and I don't want to get caught,so hush. If somebody want's to grow weed let them.