Archive for Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Passer-by sniffs out marijuana operation

May 3, 2006

The Leavenworth County Sheriff's Office says it seized a million-dollar outdoor marijuana-growing operation early this week after a passer-by stumbled on it.

Leonard Ayres, a department spokesman, said the office received a tip Monday that led them to find more than 2,000 marijuana plants growing in a remote area in the southern part of the county. The operation appeared to have been tended by three or four people who lived at a nearby campsite stocked with groceries, tools and personal items, Ayres said.

The office isn't releasing the exact location of the operation, saying that to do so might harm the investigation into who was growing the pot.

The plants, which Ayres said would have been worth more than $1 million when mature, have been destroyed or taken as evidence.

Comments

Marion Lynn 7 years, 11 months ago

El Grande Magnifico Presidente General de Armee y Emperor Of All Mexico refused to sign the drug legalisation bill today.

According to FOX News, he caved in to pressure form the USA.

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thanks.

Marion.

billyflay 7 years, 11 months ago

the last time drugs were legal was in the roaring 20's

we already have stoned illegal aliens and crack babies, some even whacked out on goof balls, running around, why the hell do we need a bunch of old white folk, dreaming of days gone by, staggering around high on mary jane,

besides only the dumb asses get caught,

JPT 7 years, 11 months ago

And you live over on West 4th, don't you? Near the hospital?

shanefivedyes 7 years, 11 months ago

Why are we telling on each other?? People shut the hell up! I have 526 plant's in my basement and I don't want to get caught,so hush. If somebody want's to grow weed let them.

mom13 7 years, 11 months ago

Oh yea and don't forget crime and cop time would decrease. Shoot if the government sold it the U.S. would be out of debt before ya know it.

mom13 7 years, 11 months ago

Wow what an interesting day of conversation. Legalizing would be good. It has it's downs but helps a lot more people than you think. Montel for example

rightthinker 7 years, 11 months ago

If you live on some acreage....just chuck seeds out every chance you get and sooner or later you'll come up with a nice healthy plant or two. I wonder how the coca plant would fare in Kansas weather.....with global warming and all?? Or the poppy??

DownHomeDude 7 years, 11 months ago

Anybody who knows anything about Kansas marijuana knows that is doesn't have any THC. $1,000,000 worth of marijuana-nope don't think so homy-nice try anyway!

DHD

Marion Lynn 7 years, 11 months ago

You are correct on the lights running up the electicity bill.

The best growers use a small gas op generator with a nice quiet exhaust to power the lights for the few hours a day that they should run.

Grow rooms are insulated with Thermax or a similar sheet insulation to prevent a heat signature being shown to cops with heat sensors who just happen to be passing by.

Hydroponic units are set up to recycle as much water as possible.

A high electiric bill alone is seldom enough to get them a warrant but it can get them looking and that can be problematic for the independent businessman or woman.

Thanks.

Marion.

Baille 7 years, 11 months ago

"How could I ever leave picturesque Kansas though??"

Drive?

rightthinker 7 years, 11 months ago

Badger---very astute observation!!

badger 7 years, 11 months ago

I often wonder why criminals aren't smarter. I'd think that if you knew (because by now everyone knows) that the power company will report high power bills for grow lights, you'd learn to start off with a year or so of growing legal plants indoors like tomatoes and peppers, and wait till the cops got tired of raiding a perfectly law-abiding indoor botanist.

rightthinker 7 years, 11 months ago

Mexico just legalized possession of small amounts of coke and smack......hmmmm, warm weather, bullet in the pocket, hot latina women, beautiful Caribbean waters???

How could I ever leave picturesque Kansas though??

rightthinker 7 years, 11 months ago

KSchick1:

The electric bill will get you burned, your'e right. I knew of a dentist, no kidding, a dentist, who was growing major amounts of indicus in his basement under grow lights. He was busted from KP&L reporting his extremely high usage...sure enough, the FEDS found out why.

Hey, pot is no big deal, I personally don't like it anymore, back then, different story. I think in the grand scheme of things, it is relatively harmless. Cigarettes, booze, painkillers, coke, meth, heroine.....there all as bad and some obviously much worse.

My theory is it's a dilemma for gov. to, as usual, figure out how to get their filthy hands on as much revenue as possible and of course, the laws and all being re-written etc etc. So this is where we are at and it will gradually be legalized across the board I think.....could be wrong??

consumer1 7 years, 11 months ago

If any of you decide to "grow your own" be advised the electric company monitors increased power use and reports it to the authorities. Those specialized lights, heating equip. etc. really crank your meter. FYI.

KSChick1 7 years, 11 months ago

And there is still that pothead etiquette that you bring one to share when you go for a visit to a fellow potheads house. I love etiquette and try to follow it every chance I get. :)

KSChick1 7 years, 11 months ago

That K-pot is picture perfect if you look at one of the leaves. Pot, well, hemp used to be a cash crop in this country until 1947. Then the gov't realized people weren't just weaving ropes for the war effort with it, they were smoking it too. Nowadays, the gov't confiscates the good sh and the police stand around taking big deep breaths while they are burning it into oblivion. For informational purposes only: it is better when grown indoors because you can force it to grow faster and can add nutrients and tend it for better quality. But watch out for those electric bills. The house on the golf course that was mentioned a few weeks ago where there was a "sophisticated" growing operation had over $200 a month electric bills when the neighbors were paying around $70. That is one big clue and the electric company will report this kind of thing. Alot of what gets people busted is not being circumspect in their dealings, whether buying, selling or using. I have a friend who will blow his last hit into his shirt before he leaves the house. STUPID. At least pretend you don't do it as there is always someone out there eager to pi in your wheaties and call the cops when they smell that unmistakable burnt pot smell.

KSFINEST 7 years, 11 months ago

"Outdoor" is not necassarily bad grass. Not if you know what you're doing. I don't discriminate when it comes to the green. Whoever ratted em' out needs a swift kick in the face. But their karma will catch up with em'.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 11 months ago

Well, if this country wised up, we would at least de-criminalise the use and possession of many of the so-called recreational drugs.

As Sam Kinison said the War On Drugs is a War On The American people.

Ahhhh!

AhHHHHHHHH!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Thanks.

Marion.

xenophonschild 7 years, 11 months ago

Rightthinker:

The only thing about being on parole that sucks out loud is not being able to fire up a fat doobie. I can drink beer without too much trouble - it doesn't show up in U/A's, and I'm not much of a drinker anyway, but it would be way too much of a hassle to come up dirty for weed on a U/A.

I'm off paper in August, September at the latest, and - while I can't indicate any potential lawbreaking on a newspaper website - I'll leave it to your imagination how I intend to celebrate.

When I was an undergraduate, we always kept a bowl full of Jamaican white-bud in a humidor on the coffee table, as did most of our friends. Whenever anybody came over, or we'd go to someone's else's place, we'd fire up and smile about things.

That was a pleasant practice I'd very much like to see come back into vogue.

offtotheright 7 years, 11 months ago

He must have a good sniffer on him.

JPT 7 years, 11 months ago

I wonder if that passer-by uprooted a few of them plants and threw them into the trunk of his car before he decided to call the cops?

justanothervoice 7 years, 11 months ago

Some of you would blow an artery if you found out what "certain" lawrencians get blazed off the ganja EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!!! I would LOVE to tell--just to see the look on the faces of all you anti-marijuanians, but no worries fellas, your secret is safe with me!

Marion Lynn 7 years, 11 months ago

Well, the thing to do is grow it, sell it to only one or two guys whom you know VERY well, keep your mouth shut, pay cash for everything and do NOT deposit the pot profits into the bank.

Believe it or not, banks do NOT like cash and there are reporting requirements for banks in that they must report to the FEDS cash deposits of over certain amounts.

Don't use a safety deposit box wither as there are things called warrants which allow whatever passes for "law enforcement" to open them.

Nothing like a safety deposit box full of unexplainable untaxed cash!

And don't b uy money orders and send them to yourself in an effort to cover up the cash.

They call that "money laundering" and they'll get you for that if they can't get you for anything else!

Don't keep reciepts either, as they are an indicator that there was some cash around at some point and they can use the recipts against you in court or at tax hearings.

And do NOT talk on the phone!

Everyone I know in the drug business who has gotten caught got caught talking on the bloody phone!

Of course, this entire post is only theoretical and for informational or historic purposes only!

Thanks.

Marion.

eotw33 7 years, 11 months ago

maybe that explains that smell on the highway every summer in the same spot.

bankboy119 7 years, 11 months ago

Vince, that's not really true at all. Some of the smartest guys I knew were some of the biggest potheads I knew. Don't really know anyone now that does it though.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 11 months ago

Actually, I know a lot more about growing pot than you might think.

Pot grown outdoors will have a much higher percentage of male and hermaprhoditic plants which are much lower in THC content than the females.

Upon fertilisation, female plants begin a very quick decline and lose potency.

Pot grown outdoors tends to be very stalky with leaves high up on the plant as such plants are normally planted too close together and they seek the sun anad tehrefore devote too much energy to growing and not enough to THC production.

In some climes outdoor growing can be done well for fun and profit but Kansas does not have such a climate.

When grwoing one seeks those nice tall, tightly packed bud laden females and they rarely happen out doors.

Even a small grow room can produce 6-9 ounces per square foot of growing space after 60-90 dyas and the same very 60 days thereafter.

A small grow room can be more profitable than an acre of outdoor ditchweed.

Anyone who grows outside, even for personal use, is an idiot as growing can be termed "manufacture" by the Feds and that can carry a LIFE sentence.

I suggest that those would-be farmers among you spend some money and buy a few of Ed Rosenthal's books!

Thanks.

Marion.

75x55 7 years, 11 months ago

"...a passer-by stumbled on it."

Hmm.

Reality_Check 7 years, 11 months ago

Marion: You know zero, as usual. I've known many people who've grown pot outside in KS and a lot of it turned out to be pretty good. It's all in the seeds, and nowadays, you can get seeds specifically tailored to our climate and for outdoor growing.

However, it sure is early in the season. This is more like planting season, not harvesting season, so I don't see how someone "smelled" it.

Silence_Dogood 7 years, 11 months ago

Wow, "success" for rightthinker of course reflects corporate business and money-making. Combine these with the screen name, and go figure . . .

KSChick1 7 years, 11 months ago

Aaaahhhhhh pot there's a song "Let's smoke some pot" I love potheads unless they are eating up my munchies then I want them deported

consumer1 7 years, 11 months ago

Amazing... Some of you people just have to p*ss and moan about everything... How miserable you must be.

rightthinker 7 years, 11 months ago

Vince2909:

'potheads = LOSERS'

I know successful corporate people, some making $200k plus a year, that will toke a big fattie right before a board meeting and never think twice.

You've been watching "Reefer Madness" havn't you?

Vince2909 7 years, 11 months ago

potheads = LOSERS

The more you do, the less you care. That's my counter argument to legalizing or decriminalizing the "herb".

rightthinker 7 years, 11 months ago

xeno-I agree, legalize it. I'd like to grow it for fun, the idea of getting a big fat, bushy, loaded to the gills with red hairy buds plant would be great....it smells great.

In college, a guy had a big ol' budded out plant in his bedroom closet and when he opened the door, it was real pungent to say the least. I wonder if it would be good in spaghetti sauce?

rightthinker 7 years, 11 months ago

Marion:

Pot used to, but does not agree with me either....wake up feeling worse than if I'd had maybe a dozen boilermakers the night before. And you're right, the best weed is being grown indoors (Did you see "House" last night) the cop was growing it on his roof in an storage shed or soemthing....all rigged up with irrigation, venting, lights etc. Hell go up Hwy 24 toward Perry Lake....that ditchweed crap is growing like crazy along the tracks (when hemp was transported via rail??) I assume and it's everywhere....no good but everywhere.

I'm wondering how they got the crop up to speed so quick in this spot.....that it put off that much smell already?? It's not been that warm yet.

xenophonschild 7 years, 11 months ago

Amen. K-pot isn't the greatest in the world, but about one in three loads will blow your tubes.

Marijuana should be legalized. It would be a pleasant past-time to grow your own, outside, and enjoy the crop.

geekin_topekan 7 years, 11 months ago

"I react to cannibidiol rather than THC, so if I toke on a number I just go sleepy-bye."

Thanks for that insight.I was afraid I was the only one.For a second I thought there was something wrong with me.

Kelly Powell 7 years, 11 months ago

A million dollars my ass....They weigh the plants and charge you for EVERY part of the plant.

Bizkit 7 years, 11 months ago

Marion, you don't know anything about growing pot. So keep your comments to yourself.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 11 months ago

Nope and don't smoke it either.

What a drag!

Learned this in 1969.

"Outdoor" pot cannot be controlled and will be fertilised by every ditchweed plant tossing spores.

Growing oudoors is a total waste of time.

Thanks.

Marion.

b_asinbeer 7 years, 11 months ago

Judging from the ridiculous laugh, I'd say someone else on this board is high...

Marion Lynn 7 years, 11 months ago

"Outdoor" pot?

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That chit wouldn't get a fly high, Man!

Thanks.